PDA

View Full Version : Steelers mix and match on line

stillers4me
11-03-2010, 05:26 AM
By Mark Kaboly (mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com), TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The rushing yards, the yards per carry, the rushing touchdowns and the quarterback sacks are very similar for the Steelers through the first seven games of this season compared to the same juncture a year ago.

So why is new offensive line coach Sean Kugler being lauded for the job he has done with his group while Larry Zierlein was fired for having just about the same production?
It's what Kugler has had to deal with that has set him apart, and there has been plenty to sort through over the past several months.

• The Steelers have used the same starting line in consecutive weeks only three times.

• Kugler lost Willie Colon to injury before the season started, Max Starks for one game and Trai Essex for four.

• He helped Flozell Adams switch from left to right tackle, then had to deal with him leaving early in four games due to injury or dehydration.

• He has a rookie starting at arguably the most crucial position on the line — center.

• He had two undrafted players in Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster uncharacteristically split series in games during Essex's absence.

And, still, the line has performed above expectations.

"He has done a good job," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Kugler. "But we are not about patting ourselves on the back, quite frankly."...............

Read more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_707321.html

LLT
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I love Legursky...but with the noncomittment the line coach is giving to Doug or to Essex...I have to think that OG will be looked at in this next draft or in FA.

I still think OT is a priorioty but OG needs some stability.

Steely McSmash
11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I love Legursky...but with the noncomittment the line coach is giving to Doug or to Essex...I have to think that OG will be looked at in this next draft or in FA.

I still think OT is a priorioty but OG needs some stability.

I'm already choosing which college games I'm watching to look at Guards.