PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin regrets not challenging Mendenhall's near TD

stillers4me
11-02-2010, 04:24 PM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Last updated: 4:41 pm

After reviewing film from the Steelers' 20-10 loss last Sunday in New Orleans, coach Mike Tomlin said he should have challenged a call that might have resulted in a touchdown.

It came on a run by Rashard Mendenhall early in the second quarter from the Saints' 1-yard line. Officials ruled that Mendenhall did not get into the end zone, and the Steelers didn't challenge the call.

"We didn't think he crossed the plane (of the goal line) and he didn't either," Tomlin said. The Steelers were stopped on third down as well and settled for a 19-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

While Tomlin said he should have challenged the call, he added that it should not have been an issue since the Steelers had three plays from the Saints' 1-yard line.
"We've got to score touchdowns when when we've got the ball down there," Tomlin said...............

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_707291.html

zulater
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
Last updated: 4:41 pm

After reviewing film from the Steelers' 20-10 loss last Sunday in New Orleans, coach Mike Tomlin said he should have challenged a call that might have resulted in a touchdown.

It came on a run by Rashard Mendenhall early in the second quarter from the Saints' 1-yard line. Officials ruled that Mendenhall did not get into the end zone, and the Steelers didn't challenge the call.

"We didn't think he crossed the plane (of the goal line) and he didn't either," Tomlin said. The Steelers were stopped on third down as well and settled for a 19-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

While Tomlin said he should have challenged the call, he added that it should not have been an issue since the Steelers had three plays from the Saints' 1-yard line.
"We've got to score touchdowns when when we've got the ball down there," Tomlin said...............

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_707291.html

Love the non denial-denial. :dizzy: If the correct call was made on the field why the hell would you regret challenging it now? :bs:

Ah ha, but maybe here's the key!

We didn't think he crossed the plane (of the goal line) and he didn't either,"

He's right, he ( Mendy) didn't cross the goaline, but the ball sure as hell looked as if it did. Hence the regret.

Borski
11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm pretty sure he means Mendy didn't think the ball broke the plane, and because they already had one failed challenge they didnt want to lose another.

Burghfan58
11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Let's face it. This was not one of Tomlins, Arians and the rest of the Steelers finest efforts. Hopefully it's behind them and they handle Cincy. 2-1 on a 3 game road trip with the one loss to NFC I can live with.

shutdown
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I think if he didn't lose that first challenge he would have had no problem challenging this play. I think that first challenge played a huge factor in not throwing it for that play.

steelpride12
11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Shoulda, coulda, woulda. He didn't oh well no one knows how it would have impacted the game.

Merchant
11-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Let's all chip-in and send Tomlin a portable tv

Steeldude
11-03-2010, 12:13 AM
We didn't think he crossed the plane (of the goal line) and he didn't either," Tomlin said

didn't think??? but he challenges the fumble that was clearly caused by the ground.

steelreserve
11-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Here's a better idea: Regret not scoring a touchdown when you were at the 6-inch line with up to four tries. That's one case where going for it on fourth down would've set the tone of the game whether they made it or not, and not going for it on fourth down set the tone of the game in the opposite direction, regardless of whether they made the lousy field goal or not.

Wallace108
11-03-2010, 02:39 AM
"We've got to score touchdowns when when we've got the ball down there," Tomlin said.
Uh, Coach Tomlin :boink:. Technically, you DID score a touchdown.

Galax Steeler
11-03-2010, 03:49 AM
I guess hindsight is twenty twenty and we will never know time to move on to Cincy.

zulater
11-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Since the game, I found out it was a potentially challengeable play," Tomlin said Tuesday. "We didn't deem it to be one in the instance in which it occurred. There wasn't a bunch of video evidence available to us, and the guys on the field didn't seem to think it was a challengeable play, so we didn't."

The reason they had no video evidence is because there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the coaches' box monitor. Under normal conditions, the coaches in the box would recommend to Tomlin whether to challenge or not after they saw the replay on network television.

Problem was, Sunday night in New Orleans, the Steelers' coaches weren't watching the NBC telecast in their box; the Saints' scoreboard video was shown on their television, as it was in many monitors around the stadium. In one auxiliary press box, a writer noticed this and asked it be changed to NBC and it was done.

There isn't a home scoreboard that will show a replay on a controversial play that officials on the field rule went the home team's way. It happened once in Heinz Field, Bill Cowher blew his top, and it never happened again.

So, if there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the scoreboard, then there was no replay in the coaches' box because that is the feed they were watching. They could not advise Tomlin about it, and the head coach did not have a good enough view of it, so he passed on a challenge that everyone at home and in the Superdome press box could see was in question.

Tomlin said "it's possible" his coaches did not have the network feed on in the box and thus did not get a replay of the Mendenhall run. Sources confirmed they had the scoreboard feed on their TV.

Don't blame the Saints for any chicanery. All the Steelers' coaches had to do was request a channel change at any time, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

"It should be the network feed," Aiello wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette. "If coaches are not getting it, they should have it corrected immediately. The referee only uses the network feed."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100158-66.stm#ixzz14DOoZnn4

So basically all it would have taken is for the coaches in the booth to have the wherewithal to ask for the channel to be changed?:frusty:

BeerMan
11-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, you gotta love the crack staff that advised him to challenge the non-fumble on the punt return, and to not challenge Mendy's touchdown. Makes you wonder if Tomlin might have a bit more success on his challenges if the staff doesn't have their heads up their asses!

tube517
11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Can't do anything about it now. On to the Bungles

SteelerSal
11-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Can't do anything about it now. On to the Bungles

:drink::thumbsup:

steel striker
11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Forget about that but, three runs in a row for negative yards. Why did we not pass it in there or Roll BR out for a better scoring chance?

steeldawg
11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Here's a better idea: Regret not scoring a touchdown when you were at the 6-inch line with up to four tries. That's one case where going for it on fourth down would've set the tone of the game whether they made it or not, and not going for it on fourth down set the tone of the game in the opposite direction, regardless of whether they made the lousy field goal or not.

exactly! Im not sure but last time i looked Big Ben was pretty damn big, why not run a qb sneak for a few inches?

steelreserve
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
exactly! Im not sure but last time i looked Big Ben was pretty damn big, why not run a qb sneak for a few inches?

I heard last time we tried that, it went ... not so good.

zulater
11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I heard last time we tried that, it went ... not so good.

That was a naked qb draw from the 3 yard line as opposed to the suggested qb sneak right on Pouncey's ass from the one foot line. Huge difference.