PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu...looked human against the Saints????

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I haven't seen Troy look this human since, well, his rookie season! And I KNOW I'm not just seeing this. Some plays that he whiffed on:

1) 1st Saints drive: 2nd and 5 out of the shotgun, Brees throws a screen to Julius Jones who proceeds to JUKE Troy out of his shoes for an 11 yard gain and makes him miss the tackle.

2) Late in the 3rd quarter: 3rd and 5 out of the shotgun, Troy is playing press coverage 1-on-1 with Jeremy Shockey. Granted, he's still a great tight end, but he just smacks Troy's hands away immediately and gets wide open for the 1st down. This was probably the heartbreaker on this drive, the Saints scored on this one mind you.

3) Middle of the 4th quarter: 3rd and 5 out of the shotgun, Troy bites down on the slot receiver thinking he's getting the short pass, instead he gets torched by Robert Meachem who nabs a 50 yard catch.

4) Late in the 4th quarter: 1st and goal at the 8 yard line, Lance Moore catches a TD between Bryant McFadden and Troy, but both are equally close to the ball and fail to disrupt the completion.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010103111/2010/REG8/steelers@saints/analyze#analyze:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

Now before you saying, I'm not bitching, I'm just analyzing for you guys exactly how it is. And I'm also putting this up because I was in absolute shock that I kept seeing Troy time after time again getting picked on. And we all stood (or at least most of us) thinking Troy being back would fix everything. Our 2ndary as a group really needs to get it together. And no, it is NOT just one bad game. This is arguably the league's top ranked defense....but our pass defense is 25th in the league? A lot of you are going to argue that "Oh, well it's pretty much only underneath stuff we're giving up." Well I got breaking news for y'all: 4-5 yards a catch gets you ALL THE WAY down the field. The Steelers are 28th in the league, allowing opposing QB's to complete 66.2% of their passes. We're 31st in the league, allowing opposing QB's to complete 70% of their passes in the 4th quarter. Here's my source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81baab11/article/brees-vs-steelers-certainly-not-the-mismatch-it-appears. If those aren't alarming numbers, I don't know what is. Granted, we have played our fair share of good/legitimate quarterbacks, we gotta plug up the hole on the deck before the ship sinks!

These are just my personal thoughts. What do you guys think, I'm just trying to stir up some discussion, that's all.

Chidi29
11-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Meh, I thought he looked pretty good. He did have some missed tackles but when you're as aggressive and come down as hard as he does, a back/receiver who is able to slightly change position can get out of the tackle. Especially when it's low like it was on the first play you referenced. Troy went for the legs.

He was still flying out there, had some big hits, and disrupted plays. If I get that from Troy, I'm happy. The interceptions and game-changing plays are gravy.

tube517
11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
No argument here.

polamalubeast
11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Now before you saying, I'm not bitching, I'm just analyzing for you guys exactly how it is. And I'm also putting this up because I was in absolute shock that I kept seeing Troy time after time again getting picked on. And we all stood (or at least most of us) thinking Troy being back would fix everything. Our 2ndary as a group really needs to get it together. And no, it is NOT just one bad game. This is arguably the league's top ranked defense....but our pass defense is 25th in the league? A lot of you are going to argue that "Oh, well it's pretty much only underneath stuff we're giving up." Well I got breaking news for y'all: 4-5 yards a catch gets you ALL THE WAY down the field. The Steelers are 28th in the league, allowing opposing QB's to complete 66.2% of their passes. We're 31st in the league, allowing opposing QB's to complete 70% of their passes in the 4th quarter. Here's my source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81baab11/article/brees-vs-steelers-certainly-not-the-mismatch-it-appears. If those aren't alarming numbers, I don't know what is. Granted, we have played our fair share of good/legitimate quarterbacks, we gotta plug up the hole on the deck before the ship sinks!

These are just my personal thoughts. What do you guys think, I'm just trying to stir up some discussion, that's all.

I hope they will correct that problem.:pray::pray::pray::pray:

I'm tired!

Drew Brees completed 20 of 22 passes in 2nd half.:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Meh, I thought he looked pretty good. He did have some missed tackles but when you're as aggressive and come down as hard as he does, a back/receiver who is able to slightly change position can get out of the tackle. Especially when it's low like it was on the first play you referenced. Troy went for the legs.

He was still flying out there, had some big hits, and disrupted plays. If I get that from Troy, I'm happy. The interceptions and game-changing plays are gravy.

I'd like to see arguably the best player on arguably the best defense of arguably the best team in the league get burned less than 4 times a game. Not beaten, burned like Troy was. Especially at critical times as Troy did. But I'm willing to bet he won't let it happen again.

Willie Gay on the other hand, I'll just go right out with it: He sucked wad last night lol

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I hope they will correct that problem.:pray::pray::pray::pray:

I'm tired!

Drew Brees completed 20 of 22 passes in 2nd half.:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Ouch, yes. It's hard to win when your opposing quarterback is completing 90% of his passes in the more important portion of the football game.

polamalubeast
11-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Ouch, yes. It's hard to win when your opposing quarterback is completing 90% of his passes in the more important portion of the football game.

I think Tom Brady will do the same thing in two weeks.:no:

Chidi29
11-01-2010, 05:47 PM
I'd like to see arguably the best player on arguably the best defense of arguably the best team in the league get burned less than 4 times a game. Not beaten, burned like Troy was. Especially at critical times as Troy did. But I'm willing to bet he won't let it happen again.

Willie Gay on the other hand, I'll just go right out with it: He sucked wad last night lol

I wouldn't say he was burned.

The Shockey play isn't him getting burned. Outmuscled, sure, but that can happen when you're going against a guy bigger than you. And if Troy is expecting something to the outside based on film study, the quick inside move would have caught him off guard.

The long Meachem catch is disappointing to see against a defense that is usually so stingy against protecting the deep pass. But that's an extremely difficult play for Troy, as good as he is. It's really a lose-lose situation. Colson was running a go down the seam with Meachem running a go down the sideline. As accurate as Brees is, there's a good chance he's completing the pass to Colston if Troy shades Meachem. In hindsight, I do agree covering Meachem was the better option. Force the throw over the middle more, force it over the LB, and maybe Troy is able to come across and jar the bar loose (big maybe though). But like Collinsworth said, Troy guesses at times. When he guesses right, he looks great. When he guesses wrong, he'll look "human".

steeldawg
11-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I think we should cut him he didnt play "steeler football". Missing a tackle? Letting a guy catch a pass? Worst game ive ever seen, get him out of here.

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I think we should cut him he didnt play "steeler football". Missing a tackle? Letting a guy catch a pass? Worst game ive ever seen, get him out of here.

Because that's what we're all implying. Thank you for picking up the red, bolded, italicized, and underlined cue at the end of the 1st post.

Sincerely,
Me

86WARD
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Pfft...he looked far more inhuman than human. Far more inhuman...

He was really the only player who showed up to play...watch the game again dude...seriously.

steelpride12
11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Ehh I just think it was a situation where the Saints offense planned the entire game plan around Troy. They knew he is our defensive difference maker and if you can beat him you can beat the Steelers. Bree's knew what to expect and throw at Troy all night and had the upper hand. I wouldn't say Troy had a "human" game, he did play well, He was just out planned and played.

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2010, 08:24 PM

He was really the only player who showed up to play...watch the game again dude...seriously.

I did. And with perception too. Over and over I can't believe Troy of all people got beat on these plays.

And of course I'm all alone while everyone sides with Chidi haha

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2010, 08:36 PM

I can't say that I agree with you and I'm a big Troy fan. Troy didn't do anything to stand out last night and he seemed to be out of position a number of times. He'd probably tell you the same thing. He's actually been somewhat invisible the last couple of games. It just proves that he is human after all.

Timmons and Ike both had good games. If you don't think that either of them "showed up to play" then you were watching a different game.

X-Terminator
11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Hey, even the great ones have off-nights every now and then. Shyt happens. I didn't read anything more into his post than that.

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I can't say that I agree with you and I'm a big Troy fan. Troy didn't do anything to stand out last night and he seemed to be out of position a number of times. He'd probably tell you the same thing. He's actually been somewhat invisible the last couple of games. It just proves that he is human after all.

Timmons and Ike both had good games. If you don't think that either of them "showed up to play" then you were watching a different game.

Not to be a negative nancy :chuckle:, but I think all of us have to admit Timmons was a liability several times against the Saints, especially in pass coverage. Again, I understand we were up against Drew Brees, the most accurate passer in the league the last two years. Seriously, 70% completion rate the last year, and this year so far??? Wtf!

NCSteeler
11-01-2010, 11:54 PM
I personally think Troy has been off since the TN game. But as far as the Saints go, hard to expect a defense that is predicated on rushing the passer have much luck without the two starting DEs, when their whole job is to take up lineman , so the LBers come free. I will say our percentage of pass completion against this defense is dangerous .

Galax Steeler
11-02-2010, 02:56 AM
I have to say it was not Troys best game by far but everyone will have an off game every now and then. I will take Troys off day compared to alot of players best games.