PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Saints Post-Game Discussion (October 31, 2010)

HometownGal
10-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Please keep all post-game discussion in this thread. Thanks. :drink:

It was a tough loss especially when the O was moving down the field when Heath coughed up that ball. :doh: BUT - we have a much more important matchup next Sunday night against a hated division rival and I'm going to put this one behind me and really focus on what lies ahead.

fansince'76
10-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Yep. Thankfully this was a NFC game and not another conference loss. That's the only consolation.

tyler289
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Tough loss, I thought the offense playcalling was poor - the Saints blitzed every play, but where were the screens, quick hitting passes? Too many times they tried to go deep, I thought.

But yet, if Heath doesn't fumble, we are right in that game and might even win. The pass defense in the 2nd half was REALLY poor, but sometimes you have to tip your hat to Brees.

Jaquila
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Horrible loss and Heath Miller coughing up that ball UNFUCKINBELIEVEABLE and the Defense just sucked in the 2nd half especially...
We gotta move on though!

steelerdude15
10-31-2010, 10:29 PM
It hurt, but we were simply outplayed most of the game. It seemed like we didn't come to play and it showed. We had sparks at times, but our defense had way too many holes in them. They need to regroup and get ready for next weekend.

Wallace108
10-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Here's my only question ... how do you play 4 quarters and not take a shot deep once?? Especially with a banged up Saints secondary?

stillers4me
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Kudos to the Saints. They came back from a humiliating loss and played a great game.

Steelman
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Tough, tough loss. That's really all there is to it.

Aside from all the hoopla of the 3-1 start without Ben, this team is still finding it's identity. Fortunately it hasn't cost us more than 2 games. I think we're close, still have some stuff to work out and get together.

steel9guy
10-31-2010, 10:34 PM
I"m about to go knock down a freaken door. This sucks. I don't care if it was an NFC team or not the biggest game it's a freaken game we should have WON!

Merchant
10-31-2010, 10:36 PM
1. Tomlin should've challenged the 3rd down run on that Saints goal line stand - I thought Mendy had a touchdown from the replay. Instead of wasting a challenge on that obvious non-fumble on the saints kick off return.

2. Tomlin must have read our complaints and finally put Sanders back there for one of the punts, and look at that - he had a great return!

3. Tomlin must have read our complaints and gave Wallace a screen pass, and look at that - a nice gain!

4. What was up with going for it on 4th and 4? Arghh can't believe Hines didn't catch it for the TD

5. Heaaathhhh. Whyyyyy :'(

RushHard34
10-31-2010, 10:36 PM
anyone else a bit surprised to see we have the #1 scoring defense at over 16 ppg? not as low as you'd think it would be...screw the way the NFL is heading

Butch
10-31-2010, 10:43 PM
We have these types of losses every year and we seem to recover from them and win when we need to. As bad as this loss is it could have been much worse. This has been the only real game where we looked out of it and if not for the fumble by Heath who knows what coulda been.

I'll take this one, now let's move on to Cincy next week.

JayC
10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
there's no shame in losing to the superbowl champs, there's just shame in looking like crap on O all game and then when they finally wake up the defense implodes and also fumble our chances away. it hurts but im sure a win vs the bengals will fix my pain.

salamander
10-31-2010, 10:57 PM
It's a disturbing trend the way the D seems to crap out late in games. I just don't understand it. You can (usually) get away with it against lesser opponents but not a team like the Saints. They're just too good and will make you pay. I'm not too worried about the Bengals next week but the game against the Patsies* will be another tough match-up, as much as I hate to say that.

BlastFurnace
10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
there's no shame in losing to the superbowl champs, there's just shame in looking like crap on O all game and then when they finally wake up the defense implodes and also fumble our chances away. it hurts but im sure a win vs the bengals will fix my pain.

You can look at it this way....or....you can say that they lost another game that they should have won. This game was there for the taking.

Edman
10-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Another game the Steelers had a chance to win and they let it slip.

The Heath Miller fumble took the air out of this team.

SteelerFanInStl
10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
I keep going back to the first and goal series. Not scoring a TD on that series is simply inexcusable.

X-Terminator
10-31-2010, 11:17 PM
I thought the playcalling was way too damn conservative, and it is getting increasingly frustrating for me why BA does not call more passes on first down. And it should not take 3 quarters to finally make adjustments to what the other team is doing.

As for the defense...Brees was 20-22 in the 2nd half, and they controlled the ball with passes all night long. You know the Saints aren't even going to attempt to run more than a handful of times, and yet, all night it was 5 yards here, 5 yards there. They have GOT to do something to shore up the secondary, because good quarterbacks like Brees are more than happy to dink and dunk their way down the field, and as you saw tonight, they did it to near perfection.

And yet, despite all of that, if Reed makes the long FG and Heath doesn't fumble, they still could very well have won the game.

It just was not a good game all-around.

pepsyman1
10-31-2010, 11:37 PM
I thought the playcalling was way too damn conservative, and it is getting increasingly frustrating for me why BA does not call more passes on first down. And it should not take 3 quarters to finally make adjustments to what the other team is doing.

As for the defense...Brees was 20-22 in the 2nd half, and they controlled the ball with passes all night long. You know the Saints aren't even going to attempt to run more than a handful of times, and yet, all night it was 5 yards here, 5 yards there. They have GOT to do something to shore up the secondary, because good quarterbacks like Brees are more than happy to dink and dunk their way down the field, and as you saw tonight, they did it to near perfection.

100% dead on. Our pass coverage scheme needs some adjustments. We've been lucky most of the year that teams HAVEN'T used this approach more than they have. It's been evident at the end of games when teams haven't had a choice and need the points, but these types of plays are open most of the time. So far this season our pass defense is allowing a 68% pass completion rate! We better get that fixed before we play NE or the might metrosexual is gonna make us pay for it..just like Brees did tonight.

Wallace108
10-31-2010, 11:42 PM

And yet, despite all of that, if Reed makes the long FG and Heath doesn't fumble, they still could very well have won the game.

It just was not a good game all-around.

X-T, I agree with everything you said. I don't understand how we can't move the ball all game, but in the fourth quarter we can move the ball at will. It's not like the Saints were playing prevent. They were still bringing pressure. Yeah, I'm biased, but I don't understand how we can go 4 quarters and not take ONE shot deep to Wallace.

The defense drove me nuts in the second half, but we can't expect them to hold an explosive offense to fewer than 10 points. We need to put more points on the board.

It might be cliche, but this was a team loss.

zulater
10-31-2010, 11:45 PM
100% dead on. Our pass coverage scheme needs some adjustments. We've been lucky most of the year that teams HAVEN'T used this approach more than they have. It's been evident at the end of games when teams haven't had a choice and need the points, but these types of plays are open most of the time. So far this season our pass defense is allowing a 68% pass completion rate! We better get that fixed before we play NE or the might metrosexual is gonna make us pay for it..just like Brees did tonight.

It's a passing league. You hand over great field postion to an elite quarterback and more often than not ( particuarly at home) he's going to burn you. The rules are slanted in the offenses favor, generally speaking starting field position was a determing factor in Saints offensive success.

oneforthetoe
11-01-2010, 12:37 AM
X-T, I agree with everything you said. I don't understand how we can't move the ball all game, but in the fourth quarter we can move the ball at will. It's not like the Saints were playing prevent. They were still bringing pressure. Yeah, I'm biased, but I don't understand how we can go 4 quarters and not take ONE shot deep to Wallace.

The defense drove me nuts in the second half, but we can't expect them to hold an explosive offense to fewer than 10 points. We need to put more points on the board.

It might be cliche, but this was a team loss.

Thank you. The offense has to help the defense out. I'm not saying I wasn't frustrated that we couldn't stop them, but D did come up with a turnover in the red zone. In addition, credit to Brees the last TD drive was masterful.

Lambert_Loonie
11-01-2010, 02:16 AM
- By the end of the game, I was considering making a "Fire Dick LeBeau" thread. Which, I'll admit is a bit much but the "Bend, Don't Break" mentality with the pass defense is starting to REALLY PISS ME OFF! Hopefully the Steelers trade up for an elite cornerback in the draft, or the Rooney's open their wallets for one.

- Heath... I don't know where to start.

- Maybe I'm looking too deep & too far down the road, but I was concerned that if Pittsburgh won this game, then the MNF game against Cincy would become a "trap game" (Trap Games happen, don't tell me otherwise). Honestly, out of New Orleans, Cincinnati & New England, as much of a believer as I am with Pittsburgh, they're not going to go 3-0 in that stretch. If they have to go 2-1 (which is more likely) I'd rather them drop a game to the Saints if it means pounding Cincinnati's and New England's brains out.

HometownGal
11-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Honestly, out of New Orleans, Cincinnati & New England, as much of a believer as I am with Pittsburgh, they're not going to go 3-0 in that stretch. If they have to go 2-1 (which is more likely) I'd rather them drop a game to the Saints if it means pounding Cincinnati's and New England's brains out.

This is where I'm at. ^^ No Steelers fan likes a loss but they are going to happen and I'd rather it be to the Saints than to an AFC opponent.

Butch
11-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Are you people who blame the Defense serious??? Do you forget they got the ball late in the game when we were only down 3 just to have another offensive turnover by Heath Miller. For the most part they kept them off the boards despite 2 short kicks by sepuveda early in the game.

The offense and special teams did damn near nothing to help. It took til late in the 4th quarter to get a touchdown despite earlier in the game having the ball at the 6 inch line, that's is just plain pathetic!!! I wanna know when will the day come where the D doesn't have to play lights out and we can still win a game because of our offense.

This loss was not on the D this was on the rest of the team that could do nothing to reward the D their ability to keep the score manageable against a damn good offensive team.

cold-hard-steel
11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
What was the difference in the time of possesion? Anyone know?

Edman
11-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Putting this loss on the Defense doesn't make much sense.

The Steelers D forced two turnovers including a huge forced fumble on the Saints Zone when the game was 13-10. A Golden opportunity squandered.

It's on the offense to capitalize on opportunities like that. They gave the ball right back to a QB who was just warming up and an explosive offense. Once Heath fumbled, the Saints smelled blood and went for the dagger.

stillers4me
11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Putting this loss on the Defense doesn't make much sense.

The Steelers D forced two turnovers including a huge forced fumble on the Saints Zone when the game was 13-10. A Golden opportunity squandered.

It's on the offense to capitalize on opportunities like that. They gave the ball right back to a QB who was just warming up and an explosive offense. Once Heath fumbled, the Saints smelled blood and went for the dagger.

Bingo. Not being able to punch the ball over the goal has been and still is the problem for quite some time.

polamalubeast
11-01-2010, 09:23 AM
I am really upset of the loss of yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI