PDA

View Full Version : Where was the helmet to helmet call when Hines got nailed? Bad challenge-no challeng

zulater
10-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Not only do they change the entire complexion of the series, and the half by calling a iffy offensive interference against Hines, then they( refs) go and further kick dirt in Hines face by completely ignoring a helmet to helmet shot against him. :mad2:

Even offsetting penalties and chances are we get the 3 and take a 6-0 lead into the half.

On another note, terrible challenge by Tomlin on the fumble.I have to wonder if the Steelers didn't understand the rule of what constitutes down by contact to even consider challenging that call? Your forearm is down, so are you.

And I wonder if losing that challenge influenced not challenging the second and goal play where i swear it looked as though Mendy had the ball just cross the plane of the goal, though not to the refs eyes? I really think a challenge there had a chance?

SCSTILLER
10-31-2010, 09:32 PM
On the challenge note, I think Sean Patron helped rush him into his decision by rushing to the line.

I didn't think there was helmet to helmet, but that is the problem with this bs rule, it is up to interpretation.

steeldevil
10-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Not only do they change the entire complexion of the series, and the half by calling a iffy offensive interference against Hines, then they( refs) go and further kick dirt in Hines face by completely ignoring a helmet to helmet shot against him. :mad2:

Even offsetting penalties and chances are we get the 3 and take a 6-0 lead into the half.

On another note, terrible challenge by Tomlin on the fumble.I have to wonder if the Steelers didn't understand the rule of what constitutes down by contact to even consider challenging that call? Your forearm is down, so are you.

And I wonder if losing that challenge influenced not challenging the second and goal play where i swear it looked as though Mendy had the ball just cross the plane of the goal, though not to the refs eyes? I really think a challenge there had a chance?

THANK YOU!!! Make a big damn deal about hits and shit and then dont even call that helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless WR..... BULLSHIT!!!!

stlrtruck
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
That's a bang-bang play and most likely will bring a fine from Der Kommish's office Tuesday morning.

zulater
10-31-2010, 10:02 PM
That's a bang-bang play and most likely will bring a fine from Der Kommish's office Tuesday morning.

iNEXCUSABLE MISS BY THE REF

Steeldude
11-01-2010, 12:41 AM
well he must be suspended next week. it was a helmet-to-helmet hit

Borski
11-01-2010, 12:46 AM
I didn't think it was an illegal hit, but the offensive interference call was bull.

fansince'76
11-01-2010, 12:58 AM
well he must be suspended next week. it was a helmet-to-helmet hit

Won't be holding my breath for so much as a fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wixeg7qbvVw

smokin3000gt
11-01-2010, 01:35 AM
I think the OPI was crap but we can't cry about too many flags and a soft league then turn around and bitch when more flags aren't thrown.

fansince'76
11-01-2010, 01:47 AM
I think the OPI was crap but we can't cry about too many flags and a soft league then turn around and bitch when more flags aren't thrown.

Goodell has established that standard, so now his office needs to abide by it. Due to this, I expect a fine for that helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines. And like I said, I won't be holding my breath for a fine to be levied. And I fully expect a lame bullshit excuse by Goodell as to why a fine won't be levied if Rooney/Tomlin make a public stink about it.

solardave
11-01-2010, 02:35 AM
THANK YOU!!! Make a big damn deal about hits and shit and then dont even call that helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless WR..... BULLSHIT!!!!

I guess since Hines plays like a LB they felt like they had to call something on him. The D-back had his hand in Hines' face and he pushed it away. No pass int. there if you ask me except on NO side if they call it. Then they ignore the Helmet to Helmet. That's B>>>>S>

Galax Steeler
11-01-2010, 03:27 AM
As for the helmet to helmet hit I think that play was football I have seen alot worse. To me that was a legal hit but the NFL will see it different.

stlrtruck
11-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Goodell has established that standard, so now his office needs to abide by it. Due to this, I expect a fine for that helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines. And like I said, I won't be holding my breath for a fine to be levied. And I fully expect a lame bullshit excuse by Goodell as to why a fine won't be levied if Rooney/Tomlin make a public stink about it.

While Goodell established the standard, it doesn't mean we should lower ours as Steelers fans. Let Der Kommish deal with the BS calls and fines. Let's just play football and be done with it.

HometownGal
11-01-2010, 05:15 AM
While Goodell established the standard, it doesn't mean we should lower ours as Steelers fans. Let Der Kommish deal with the BS calls and fines. Let's just play football and be done with it.

Though I think we all realize it was a legal hit and just part of the game, I am asking for consistency from Goodildo. He issued his edict and it wasn't followed - period. If he's going to hold players to new standards, he must include EVERY player, not those he picks and chooses.

zulater
11-01-2010, 05:33 AM
I didn't think it was an illegal hit, but the offensive interference call was bull.

Of course it was illegal. He was hit in the back of the head by the helmet of the defender. How wasn't it an illegal hit?

stlrtruck
11-01-2010, 05:53 AM
Though I think we all realize it was a legal hit and just part of the game, I am asking for consistency from Goodildo. He issued his edict and it wasn't followed - period. If he's going to hold players to new standards, he must include EVERY player, not those he picks and chooses.

Yeah good luck with that consistency. Let me know how it comes out? :poop:

Of course it was illegal. He was hit in the back of the head by the helmet of the defender. How wasn't it an illegal hit?

Because it was against a Steelers and we all know that 30 other teams will get that call while we'll get, well that's Steelers football. Straight from Der Kommish's office, because he likes old school football for at least one team.

Steeldude
11-01-2010, 08:16 AM
why not suspend every helmet-to-helmet hit? leave no grey area. O-linemen and D-linemen will be getting suspended by the hundreds. same for RBs for lowering their heads to initiate contact.

fansince'76
11-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Sure. When's Harrison getting his 75 Gs back, then?

Texasteel
11-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Pittsburgh must not have paid their protection money to Goodell. Plus it looking like the NE Pantywaists did.

stlrtruck
11-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Sure. When's Harrison getting his 75 Gs back, then?

Right after I become commissioner!!!!

CanadianSteel
11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I thought it was helmet to helmet also.... and was ticked when Hines got the flag.
The announcers of course said nothing about it.... but when Brres fumbled that Douche Al Michaels mentioned a blow to the head of Brees ( which was a tap)... and this was after the ball had been knocked out already.

Ok enough ranting ..... its outta my system now.

steelpride12
11-01-2010, 11:36 AM
It seems like a pretty controversial call, as It did seem like a helmet to helmet IMO, but also a pretty quick and fast play that could have went erither way. Either way it's over and was never called so we have to move on.

fansince'76
11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
BTW, I wonder where all the refs that "cheat" for us were last night, since the NFL "wants the Steelers to win" and all.... :coffee:

ALLD
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM

How much exactly do you think Hines will be fined for the hit? :::sarcasm:::

7SteelGal43
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM

good point

ALLD
11-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Where was the flag on the Pats when Favrebow got hit on the chin with the crown of the helmet? This is the problem with the rule change- even though it is officially not a rule change. Many are so confused about hits and the hits are still coming and knocking players out of games. It is a frivilous rule.

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I still say Mendy scored on 2nd down after they overturned El's TD catch. Tomlin said he didn't challenge because he didn't get a good angle being the away team.
On the fumble he DID challenge I kind of understand as the first angle they showed looked like it could have been a fumble. Unfortunately, the second and better angle made it pretty clear it wasn't.

86WARD
11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Helmet to helmet hit. Bullshit that it wasn't called.

zulater
11-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I still say Mendy scored on 2nd down after they overturned El's TD catch. Tomlin said he didn't challenge because he didn't get a good angle being the away team.
On the fumble he DID challenge I kind of understand as the first angle they showed looked like it could have been a fumble. Unfortunately, the second and better angle made it pretty clear it wasn't.

I think he didn't challenge because he didn't want to do a Rex Ryan and be out of challenges if there was a huge play later in the game that he needed to challenge. He likely thought with another down to play with he could still score the td anyway from the one foot line. Anyway geting back to my original point that's why I think the first challenge was so disasterous, because I honestly believe if Mike had two challenges in his pocket on Mendy's second down run he uses one there. Or at least he should have.

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I think he didn't challenge because he didn't want to do a Rex Ryan and be out of challenges if there was a huge play later in the game that he needed to challenge. He likely thought with another down to play with he could still score the td anyway from the one foot line. Anyway geting back to my original point that's why I think the first challenge was so disasterous, because I honestly believe if Mike had two challenges in his pocket on Mendy's second down run he uses one there. Or at least he should have.

Originally, that's what I thought too, but this is from the Post-Gazette:

Even though Mendenhall looked as though he got the ball over the goal line on his first carry, Tomlin did not think of asking for a replay challenge.
"When you're on the road, you don't get [good] looks on replay," he explained.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10305/1099797-66.stm#ixzz1458PfQRI

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally, that's what I thought too, but this is from the Post-Gazette:

Perhaps, but don't they have a coach somewhere up above with access to the network broadcast that could have buzzed down to the field? It was pretty obvious to me right away that it was a play that was worth a longer look. I don't remember the Steelers hurrying to the LOS after the play, I'm sorry but I'm really not buying his explanation. The challenges the Steelers made and didn't make last night proves to me that replays and the subsequent handling of them need to be more of a point of emphasis for this team in regards to what is and isn't a good challenge. .

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Perhaps, but don't they have a coach somewhere up above with access to the network broadcast that could have buzzed down to the field? It was pretty obvious to me right away that it was a play that was worth a longer look. I don't remember the Steelers hurrying to the LOS after the play, I'm sorry but I'm really not buying his explanation. The challenges the Steelers made and didn't make last night proves to me that replays and the subsequent handling of them need to be more of a point of emphasis for this team in regards to what is and isn't a good challenge. .
I'm not so sure they have NBC up there with them. Perhaps they should. Anyway, Tomlin gave an explanation and I see no reason to doubt him.

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm not so sure they have NBC up there with them. Perhaps they should. Anyway, Tomlin gave an explanation and I see no reason to doubt him.

Like i said, maybe they need to reexamine the proccess then. They said something on the broadcast last night about Tomlin challenging less plays than any other coach, and even at that when he does challenge he usually is found wrong.

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Like i said, maybe they need to reexamine the proccess then. They said something on the broadcast last night about Tomlin challenging less plays than any other coach, and even at that when he does challenge he usually is found wrong.

I'd be curious has to how many he's won/lost at home and how many he's won/lost away.

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Getting back to the other original point of the thread, if in fact the helmet to helmet hit had been called as it should have on a play Ward was assessed a penalty for OPI, there would have been offsetting penalties and the ball would have returned to the Saints 23 yard line with the Steelers having first and 10 and 1.37 left on the first half clock. That missed call changed the entire complextion of the half and the game.

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Getting back to the other original point of the thread, if in fact the helmet to helmet hit had been called as it should have on a play Ward was assessed a penalty for OPI, there would have been offsetting penalties and the ball would have returned to the Saints 23 yard line with the Steelers having first and 10 and 1.37 left on the first half clock. That missed call changed the entire complextion of the half and the game.
We didn't play well enough to win.

vader29
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Perhaps, but don't they have a coach somewhere up above with access to the network broadcast that could have buzzed down to the field?
They should just give one of us a buzzer that we could use to get the coaches attention on bad calls. :heh:

Anyhow, will be interesting to see if someone brings up the hit to Hines in Tomlin's weekly press conference tomorrow.

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:54 PM
We didn't play well enough to win.

We weren't that far off either. Tell me you didn't think we were going to pull off the comeback when Heath was rumbling down the field prior to the ball coming out?

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
We weren't that far off either. Tell me you didn't think we were going to pull off the comeback when Heath was rumbling down the field prior to the ball coming out?
I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy especially when it comes to my Steelers so yes I thought we'd get away with playing like shit and winning again. That said, we didn't play well enough to win. Troy looked pedestrian (as did our secondary except for Ikes pick); we kept narrowly missing Brees for the sack; Ben had NO time and our running game was lackluster. Conversely, the Saints seemed to get more and more comfortable on both sides of the ball against us.

I DO think it should have been 10-0 Steelers at the half and maybe THAT would have altered the game a bit, but it wasn't and that's just speculation.

zulater
11-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy especially when it comes to my Steelers so yes I thought we'd get away with playing like shit and winning again. That said, we didn't play well enough to win. Troy looked pedestrian (as did our secondary except for Ikes pick); we kept narrowly missing Brees for the sack; Ben had NO time and our running game was lackluster. Conversely, the Saints seemed to get more and more comfortable on both sides of the ball against us.

No win is undeserved, of course the same is true of any loss too.

NJarhead
11-01-2010, 09:08 PM
No win is undeserved, of course the same is true of any loss too.

Not sure I agree completely.