PDA

View Full Version : Thought police coming to (ruin?) an NFL player near you

LLT
10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Bouchette on the Steelers: Thought police coming to (ruin?) an Nfl player near you
Sunday, October 31, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Not many seemed to find it troubling that James Harrison acknowledged pulling up rather than tackling Miami's Ronnie Brown on a play over the middle last Sunday. Larry Foote went ahead and made the tackle.

In fact, the majority seemed to think it was the smart thing to do by Harrison.

So, here you have a linebacker not wanting to tackle a running back because he admittedly feared the NFL crackdown on big hits? Harrison, mind you, wasn't planning on making an illegal hit on Brown. He planned to aim low. He said he was lucky he did not try to make the tackle because Brown then ducked low and it might have been a helmet-to-helmet collision.

So what?

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10304/1099549-66.stm#ixzz13xIPt552

LLT
10-31-2010, 11:43 AM
This is what the NFL crackdown has come to: Players now fear making perfectly legal hits. It is what Art Rooney feared when he spoke out about it 10 days ago

This.

Great article!!

Devilsdancefloor
10-31-2010, 11:50 AM
i just hope the players can put it behind them "shake it off" persa and not think about the "hit" and just do it. to be honest if he is going to pull up a lot now he WILL not be nearly as affective & he might as well sit (i know i know i just said that about debo let the hate mail begin, but it is true and you all know it)

LLT
10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
i just hope the players can put it behind them "shake it off" persa and not think about the "hit" and just do it. to be honest if he is going to pull up a lot now he WILL not be nearly as affective & he might as well sit (i know i know i just said that about debo let the hate mail begin, but it is true and you all know it)

No...you are spot on.

Mach1
10-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Your spot on! Not only with Silverback but a lot of players around the league.

GODell ruining the game one rule at a time.

smokin3000gt
10-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Too many people sitting around thinkin' shit up to implement in the next season.

solardave
10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Too many people sitting around thinkin' shit up to implement in the next season.

The answer is to shitcan Goodell!!!~!~

HollywoodSteel
10-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Not completely off topic, but did you guys see the helmet to chin hit Favre just took? It wasn't flagged, but then again neither was Harrison's. It'll be interesting to see if we get our first suspension... or if they'll just give a stern warning since it was a Patriot that delivered the hit.

fansince'76
10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Not completely off topic, but did you guys see the helmet to chin hit Favre just took? It wasn't flagged, but then again neither was Harrison's. It'll be interesting to see if we get our first suspension... or if they'll just give a stern warning since it was a Patriot that delivered the hit.

I have 10 bucks that says nothing comes of it, not even a fine.

X-Terminator
10-31-2010, 06:20 PM

That was a clean hit, IMO...but the league has said that even clean hits that end up helmet-to-head will be subject to suspension. But it's the Pats*, so they'll ignore it, even it was Lord Favre that took the hit.

Chidi29
10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm seeing plenty of guys going around hitting. Merriweather had one last week and one this week. The Favre hit was a monster one. Karlos Dansby jacked up Ochocinco coming across the middle. Knocked Ocho out of the game.

The way you can hit offensive players has not changed. I don't see why players would take a different approach to it, including James. And I don't think he has. He's still being aggressive.

HometownGal
10-31-2010, 06:54 PM
I have 10 bucks that says nothing comes of it, not even a fine.

I'll see you that $10 and add $10 in agreement. Goodildo's lips are so attached to Kraft's hiney that he wouldn't be able to lift those smackers off long enough to comment on that hit, though it was legal imho.

Favre needs to hang up his cleats. He looked like a fragile, helpless old man being led off the field and carried off on that cart. It was actually sad.

HometownGal
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I was just listening to the talking bozos' post-game comments on Brett Favre and they were discussing whether or not he should do as I suggested above and hang up his cleats and Terry Bradshaw actually had the audacity to state "I'm just tired of talking about it". :jawdrop2: He sure as hell wasn't tired of ragging on Ben was he? :jerkit:

Texasteel
10-31-2010, 07:16 PM
I'll see you that $10 and add $10 in agreement. Goodildo's lips are so attached to Kraft's hiney that he wouldn't be able to lift those smackers off long enough to comment on that hit, though it was legal imho.

Favre needs to hang up his cleats. He looked like a fragile, helpless old man being led off the field and carried off on that cart. It was actually sad.

I'd add 10 to yours but I don't think we would have any takers

I just wish all the defensive players in the league would line up outside Goodells door and show him just what an illegal hit looks like.