PDA

View Full Version : Gibson waived to add McLendon

stillers4me
10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest
Posted 13 minutes ago
Most often, a player is waived during the season because he has failed to meet expectations in some way, either on the field or off the field. That was not the case with Thaddeus Gibsonhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/thaddeus-gibson/62228d10-d799-4a1e-b158-06147b60a2db/).

Gibson, the team’s No. 4 draft pick from Ohio State, was waived in the back end of the move that added defensive lineman Steve McLendonhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/steve-mclendon/64b7807c-ef8a-433b-8c07-ae154f994ef0/) to the roster. The Steelers announced the move today so that McLendon will be available for Sunday night’s game against the Saints in New Orleans.

Adding McLendon was made necessary by the injury to Aaron Smithhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/aaron-smith/488f7c49-70fe-411f-8000-072b635beaa7/), and it became a move that was necessary immediately because Brett Keiselhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/brett-keisel/e07c42f5-62cd-4b07-828f-1d192885b0c0/) is not yet ready to return to the field after injuring a hamstring against the Cleveland Browns (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/) on Oct. 17. Smith had surgery on Oct. 25 to repair a partially torn triceps, and while he will be out for what Coach Mike Tomlin called “an extended period of time,” he is not being placed on injured reserve at this time.................

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Gibson-waived-to-add-McLendon/d5e6ada4-1552-4255-a5ed-e03b305d2645

cold-hard-steel
10-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry to see Thaddeus go.We never got to see what he had really.I think someone is gonna snatch him up,i really do.Oh well,"thats the nature of the NFL". Hope we can get him back though,if its possible.

Steeltreal
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
No room on the PS?

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
This was a surprising move unless the coaches didn't see the kind of things they wanted to see from Gibson in practice. If the reason really is that we're so deep at linebacker that this position is most expendable, then perhaps we shouldn't have drafted quite so many of them, given that we already had the best team of starting linebackers in the NFL. I'm sure Sylvester outperforming expectations had something to do with it.

As for the practice squad, maybe it's understood that if he clears waivers they'll put him on the PS.

LLT
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
As for the practice squad, maybe it's understood that if he clears waivers they'll put him on the PS.

Thats what they are hoping....I seriously hope they didnt overplay their hand.

st33lersguy
10-30-2010, 02:50 PM
What about Doug Worthington, isn't McLendon a NT?

TheRuneMeister
10-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, such is life in the national football league.

LLT
10-30-2010, 03:14 PM

Mclendon has been taking reps at DE but yes...he plays DT. His versatility is probably what got him the slot. Worthington was cut after the preseason and not given a PS slot. Al Woods is the other DE on the PS but wouldnt know the play book like McLendon.

Chidi29
10-30-2010, 03:15 PM

McClendon has a little more experience and has been with the team this whole season.

I'm sure McClendon could see a couple reps at DE. Or he'll replace Hampton and we'll Hoke will get some snaps at DE as he's done the past two weeks.

Chidi29
10-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Thats what they are hoping....I seriously hope they didnt overplay their hand.

I don't think he'll get picked up. With all the time he missed after he was drafted, he's probably way behind a lot of rookies. A lot of teams are looking for guys that will help now.

tube517
10-30-2010, 03:19 PM
The DL has been a MASH unit this year. Hampton, Kiesel, Smith, have been injured at one point this year. Even Hoke was nicked in one game and Hood has been battling his ankle injury. Eason almost didn't even play this year. I don't think they had any choice and they couldn't risk cutting any of the special teams. I hope Gibson is not picked up by another team but they are deep at LB with Fox, Foote, Sylvester and Worilds. Also Timmons can play inside or outside. Tough decision.

Craic
10-30-2010, 03:38 PM
This is exactly why I think we probably won't sign Smith again. His injuries are forcing us to gamble with future talent.

As good as Smith is... and I am one of those who thinks he is one of the best, I think his time has come. His body is giving out. I just don't like mortgaging the future to play musical DE's because he keeps getting injured.

All the best to you Smith. Hope you heal well. I also hope I am wrong, and you stay and never are injured again. I just don't see it happening.

ALLD
10-30-2010, 04:27 PM
How long until the Pats pick up Gibson?

Smith, Ward, and some other vets have already announced that they are playing for a championship this year because if there is a lockout, they will most likely retire. However, the owners may have moved to avoid a lockout, but increase the chances of losing good players with their one best last offer while keeping the doors open. Then whoever wants to play can suit up and whoever doesn't can sit at home.

7willBheaven
10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
I think this is a dumb move. Why not cut someone like Madison...or Hills or someone...who is not as talented or a big part of the future. I'm shocked at this...hopefully come tomorrow he will be on the PS.

LLT
10-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I think this is a dumb move. Why not cut someone like Madison...or Hills or someone...who is not as talented or a big part of the future. I'm shocked at this...hopefully come tomorrow he will be on the PS.

But even on the PS...he can be signed to the active roster of any team.

Hills would have been my choice also...also think that Butler might have been able to be retained on the PS before Gibson.

SteelerFanInStl
10-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't like the move. There are many other players that I would've cut before our 4th rd draft pick.

Chidi29
10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't like the move. There are many other players that I would've cut before our 4th rd draft pick.

Don't let the label of being a 4th rounder fool you. In recent years, we've had 4th rounders not even make it out of camp and get outright released. Anyone remember Fred Gibson?

Devilsdancefloor
10-30-2010, 08:54 PM
ugh i dont like the move at all. deep down i really think they should put smith on IR istead of playing this dangerous game with the future that way they can bring up Mclendon and leave him on the team. I think he will be playing DT and hoke will be at end. i hate seeing this gamble when we could of ditched a few other guys to the PS

SteelerSal
10-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Don't let the label of being a 4th rounder fool you. In recent years, we've had 4th rounders not even make it out of camp and get outright released. Anyone remember Fred Gibson?

Exactly, apparently Hills, Madison and whoever any of us thought should have been chosen over Gibson are more valuable to the team right now than Gibson seems to be at this stage of his early career. I think the coaching staff has a better idea than we do.

Kaeg
10-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I hope he makes it back to the PS. I'm not sure this would have been my choice.

Chidi29
10-30-2010, 09:56 PM
Exactly, apparently Hills, Madison and whoever any of us thought should have been chosen over Gibson are more valuable to the team right now than Gibson seems to be at this stage of his early career. I think the coaching staff has a better idea than we do.

And as I touched on earlier, I think it's safe to assume Gibson is behind the learning curve than most rookies. He didn't get to participate in OTAs because he hadn't graduated yet and by rule, couldn't be with the team. He didn't miss any hitting, but it's an important learning experience to get some of the basic things under his belt so he doesn't have to do so in the offseason and training camp (which is what he had to do). He's been playing catchup since then, didn't look very good in the preseason, and got beat out by two other rookies for a helmet.

Odds are other teams realize this, and Gibson either goes to the practice squad.

Steeldude
10-30-2010, 10:15 PM

i don't think they will use him as a NT. he is 280 lbs. that's a little light to play NT in a 3-4

Chidi29
10-30-2010, 10:39 PM
i don't think they will use him as a NT. he is 280 lbs. that's a little light to play NT in a 3-4

McClendon actually played there the majority of the time in the preseason. It's an odd pairing, I know.

But in game situations, he'll likely come in on passing downs.

oneforthetoe
10-31-2010, 12:18 AM

Hills would have been my choice also...also think that Butler might have been able to be retained on the PS before Gibson.

The key there, of course, is active roster. I think that is what keeps the sniping of other teams PS players relatively light in the NFL. Obviously, teams see guys on other teams PS's they covet. However, picking them up requires cutting one of your on players,. If the rules permitting the signing of PS players from one PS to another, it would be a free for all.

It seems to me this cut was as much about the position as the player. The weakest linebacker was more expendable than the weakest o'linemen or CB.

The Duke
10-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Thought it would have been hills but it is what it is

Really doubt anyone adds him to their roster though. He could be back on our PS by monday

I really wish there was a way to "trade" players between the roster and the practice squad. Would make decisions like this one, involving young talent unlike releasing leftwich, easier

tube517
10-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Same last name, same round picked. Bad omen.

Galax Steeler
10-31-2010, 07:21 AM
I was hoping he could stick around I think Gibson had some talent and could have helped us down the road but like everyone else has said we have to many at the position.

LLT
10-31-2010, 07:46 AM
The key there, of course, is active roster. I think that is what keeps the sniping of other teams PS players relatively light in the NFL. Obviously, teams see guys on other teams PS's they covet. However, picking them up requires cutting one of your on players,. If the rules permitting the signing of PS players from one PS to another, it would be a free for all.

It seems to me this cut was as much about the position as the player. The weakest linebacker was more expendable than the weakest o'linemen or CB.

I worry about teams like Miami who are thin at LB. That being said...I HOPE he makes it to our PS because I think he is a player.

86WARD
10-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Not a bad move. Gibson has shown nothing...zero. He should make it to the practice squad easy...if not...oh well. Like I've said...he's shown little to nothing so far. If a team signs him, they are doing so because they LLLOOOVVVVEEEDDD him in the draft...doubt anyone will touch him.

I think he can eventually be a player...I loved the pick at the time.

LLT
10-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Not a bad move. Gibson has shown nothing...zero. He should make it to the practice squad easy...if not...oh well. Like I've said...he's shown little to nothing so far. If a team signs him, they are doing so because they LLLOOOVVVVEEEDDD him in the draft...doubt anyone will touch him.

He looked great in camp and in the pre-season...I remember the debate between keeping him or Sylvester.

7willBheaven
10-31-2010, 02:33 PM

Yeah what LLT said Gibson looked solid in PS/camp/etc...better than Worilds did (of course he was banged up a little but still). Again...dumb move.

7willBheaven
10-31-2010, 02:36 PM

Oh I know this...but its a good sign if he makes it that far...if someone was really into him they'd claim him off waivers, ya know. Now that doesnt mean someone still wont take him off the PS. But who knows, maybe as soon as the Saints game is over they cut McLendon and bring Gibson back up (as i've heard Keisel should be back next game)...so who knows. It looks like he's cleared waivers as I havent heard anyone claim him...so we shall see. The other good thing about a player clearing waivers and making it to the PS...is that he has the OPTION if he wants to sign with another team...compared to having no choice to go to a team when he's claimed.