PDA

View Full Version : Injured Colon healing more quickly than Steelers expected

stillers4me
10-30-2010, 07:11 AM
By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 30, 2010

Steelers right tackle Willie Colon, considered the team's best offensive lineman, is mending so rapidly after injuring his Achilles tendon in June that he could have returned later this season.

But Colon was placed on injured reserve when he got hurt four months ago and, by rule, can't play until next year.

When defensive end Aaron Smith suffered a partially torn tricep muscle this past Sunday, the Steelers opted not t place him on injured reserve in hopes he could return this season.

But Colon's case was more severe.

"When you get hurt, you don't know how to respond to it," said Colon, who resumed running this week. "But after doing some of the things and feeling good about it, the thought comes, 'maybe I could have come back this year.' I think now I could have been back before the playoffs. I feel that way.".......................

Read more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706787.html

GBMelBlount
10-30-2010, 07:27 AM
"Injured Colon healing more quickly"

Obviously at first glance I thought this was a misplaced post from a medical journal...

This is great news that Colon is a head of schedule but of course won't help us this year due to the IR decision.

Psycho Ward 86
10-30-2010, 09:53 AM
"Injured Colon healing more quickly"

Obviously at first glance I thought this was a misplaced post from a medical journal...

This is great news that Colon is a head of schedule but of course won't help us this year due to the IR decision.

Me too lol, this news is such a tease! :upyours:

zulater
10-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I wish the NFL had an IR rule more in line with other sports. Every other major sport allows you the opportunity to use the IR list to gain a roster spot, but you still have the ability to bring that player back if and when he gets healthy. I'm not sure why they don't in the NFL?

tube517
10-30-2010, 10:13 AM
It's better if he sat out the year, for his sake. I'm glad he's recovering.

The Duke
10-30-2010, 11:47 AM
It's better if he sat out the year, for his sake. I'm glad he's recovering.

totally agree

Achilles injuries are no joke, especially for big guys like colon. He'll be back kicking ass next august

steelreserve
10-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I wish the NFL had an IR rule more in line with other sports. Every other major sport allows you the opportunity to use the IR list to gain a roster spot, but you still have the ability to bring that player back if and when he gets healthy. I'm not sure why they don't in the NFL?

Because with the amount of injuries you have in the NFL, you could have six or seven new guys on the team on a week-to-week basis, and I don't think they want that. Besides possibly being unfair in that you could stockpile guys by faking the injury report, I think the implications for players' job/financial security wouldn't be good if you were always signing guys to 10-day contracts or whatever. Basically, players don't want to play on super-short deals, and the league wants it so that the team you start the season with is basically your team for the season. I do wish they had some middle ground though -- like IR doesn't have to be season-ending, but you have to be on it for at least six weeks or something like that.

As far as Colon goes, I wouldn't see a need to rush him back anyway. Adams has done well as a stand-in (in fact, the line is doing BETTER this year, though that may have more to do with the center and RG).

And yes, this was a pretty LOL headline.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, he's not our best lineman. At least not anymore.

The decision to put him on IR isn't as big as it would be to put Aaron Smith on IR. Adams isn't that big a downgrade from Colon, but everyone is a huge downgrade from Smith.

HollywoodSteel
10-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Because with the amount of injuries you have in the NFL, you could have six or seven new guys on the team on a week-to-week basis, and I don't think they want that. Besides possibly being unfair in that you could stockpile guys by faking the injury report, I think the implications for players' job/financial security wouldn't be good if you were always signing guys to 10-day contracts or whatever. Basically, players don't want to play on super-short deals, and the league wants it so that the team you start the season with is basically your team for the season. I do wish they had some middle ground though -- like IR doesn't have to be season-ending, but you have to be on it for at least six weeks or something like that.

As far as Colon goes, I wouldn't see a need to rush him back anyway. Adams has done well as a stand-in (in fact, the line is doing BETTER this year, though that may have more to do with the center and RG).

And yes, this was a pretty LOL headline.

I agree. They should have the PUP list at all times during the season. Six weeks inactive but not taking a roster spot seems fair.

Chidi29
10-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I agree. They should have the PUP list at all times during the season. Six weeks inactive but not taking a roster spot seems fair.

He wouldn't have been ready by Week 10 and would have wound up on IR anyway.

With the timetable we were given after the injury, 9 to 12 months, anyone would have put him on IR.

GBMelBlount
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
He'll be back kicking ass next august

I agree.

No ifs, ands or......butts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Isnt this the last year of Colon's contract?? If there is no work stoppage, he will be a free agent and may not be here anyways. Something tells me he is gonna want more than the steelers will pay and Adams or Chris Scott with be at RT.

GBMelBlount
10-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Isnt this the last year of Colon's contract?? If there is no work stoppage, he will be a free agent and may not be here anyways. Something tells me he is gonna want more than the steelers will pay and Adams or Chris Scott with be at RT.

I don't know El Gonzo. It think he went to Hofstra for personal reasons when he could have gone to a much more prominent school and unless I'm missing something I would think he want to stay with the Steelers if they make him a close to fair offer. Plus, his stock may drop coming off missing an entire season due to injury.

The Duke
10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
I don't know El Gonzo. It think he went to Hofstra for personal reasons when he could have gone to a much more prominent school and unless I'm missing something I would think he want to stay with the Steelers if they make him a close to fair offer. Plus, his stock may drop coming off missing an entire season due to injury.

This

unfortunately for him, and his agent who was clamoring the most for a new contract in the offseason, he won't be able to demand as much money after that injury. He'll probably get a small contract to prove himself

it sucks, but that's the way it is

Galax Steeler
10-31-2010, 07:07 AM
I agree with what Duke is saying he will not get a huge contract not from the Steelers anyway with the injury he has they will have to see him play first and see if he is healed from his injury.