PDA

View Full Version : Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin: - On dirty players, reputations, Maurkice Pouncey

stillers4me
10-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Posted 14 hours ago
Throughout the 2010 NFL season, Coach Mike Tomlin will provide his insight and observations to Steelers.com on a variety of topics pertaining to the team and the National Football League.

Q. Within the fraternity of NFL players and coaches, what constitutes a dirty player?

A. We can use the words that are being bandied about right now, because I think they’re appropriate. Intent is a big part of it. Flagrant, or flagrancy is a big part of it. A guy who consistently is flagrant or shows a negative intent can be characterized as that.

Q. It was said by Mike Pereira, the former head of NFL officials, that he can judge intent just by watching video. Do you believe that?

A. I believe that, but I believe video tells a truer story when it’s watched at real speed. I think you can trick yourself into seeing whatever it is you want to see when you start watching things in slow motion. That’s why I have such respect for officiating crews and their judgments of plays in real time in stadiums. There was no flag thrown on James’ play, not only by the official closest to it, but by any official. These are trained professional officiating crews, and I respect their ability to do their jobs. And the fact that none of them saw it as flagrant or egregious speaks to me.................

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hearing-from-Coach-Mike-Tomlin/6f093bb2-de60-4a1c-8c26-21258038b196

Texasteel
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Just what I wanted for Christmas, an intelligent center. This kid impresses me more and more every week. When the draft happened, I wanted Bulaga when it got to us, but right now I don't think I would trade Maurkice for ANY player.

Good job Steelers, hope we can do this good of a job next time.

Psycho Ward 86
10-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Just what I wanted for Christmas, an intelligent center. This kid impresses me more and more every week. When the draft happened, I wanted Bulaga when it got to us, but right now I don't think I would trade Maurkice for ANY player.

Good job Steelers, hope we can do this good of a job next time.

Me too! Bulaga is getting owned in the face right now. Wake had 3 sacks against him a while back :chuckle:

Texasteel
10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Me too! Bulaga is getting owned in the face right now. Wake had 3 sacks against him a while back :chuckle:

Don't worry about Bulaga, he'll be fine, but Maurkice has the look of a play that comes around once every 10 or 12 years. Once more we will have an elite center.

Galax Steeler
10-30-2010, 04:25 AM
We should know by now that he won't get the recognition that he deserves as Tomlin said he is not throwing or catching touchdown passes.

solardave
10-30-2010, 04:58 AM
When it's all said and done he will be deserving but waiting to get in the HOF just like Dermonti.

SirHulka
10-30-2010, 05:11 AM
When it's all said and done he will be deserving but waiting to get in the HOF just like Dermonti.

And you're basing this on 6 games??????????????

Soufjerzz
10-30-2010, 07:57 AM
The HOF talk is a little premature. Pro Bowl maybe?