PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 Thoughts

Chidi29
10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
It may have been in help due to a technicality in the rules, but I'll take the win. Even without a strong running game, a pass rush that was lacking at times, and a couple of key injuries, we still managed to find a way to win. That's what good teams do.

First Half
- Reed's times: 1st (squib), 4.18 (5), 4.05 (-8, touchback), 4.1 (14), 4.44 (Think that is the highest of the season for him, 12) 4.12 (3).

- A perfect example of the trouble spinning too high will get you into. Sanders is too stiff and the defender goes body on ball to knock it out.

- I'm glad he got a chance to redeem himself. It's a costly mistake but you'll hurt him even more if you bench him. You run the risk of him becoming too careful. Keeping him in the game paid off. Who would have thought that after the fumble, he would go on to win AFC Special Teams player of the week.

- Ben's first pass went just off the hands of Wallace on the skinny post. Another instance of Wallace getting behind the secondary, even if he didn't make the catch.

- The first fumble by Ben on the attempted shovel pass to Redman. Dolphins run a stunt with an OLB coming up the middle. Chris doesn't pick it up and takes the end, ultimately leaving Starks with no one to block and the LB coming in free.

- Think Harrison was playing timid because he didn't go after a falling Ronnie Brown once? Think again. 3rd and 2 on Miami's second possession. Harrison tries to punch the ball out to create a fumble while the back is stood up. That was the same goal as the Cribbs hit, just in a different way.

- Classic Aaron Smith. Get off the tackle, and drop Brown for a loss in one motion. Obviously going to miss him.

- Too uch dancing from Randle El on punt returns.

- Interesting to note. Anyone else catch that confusing call by Gene that put us on our nine mid-way in the 1st quarter. Yeah, he's out to get Miami. Sure...

- First use of no huddle as a tempo starter. Another plus of having Ben back that we didn't get to see against Cleveland.

- Rough 1st quarter by Doug Legursky. Two holding calls, the second occuring because he got beat. He struggled in pass protection and the more starting experience he gets on his resume, the more his shortcomings are exposed.

- The Farrior fumble recovery was very similar to the Clark recovery on the Mike Williams fumble against Tampa Bay.

- Foster replaced Doug at RG for a series after the two holding calls.

- Loved what Ben did maybe more than what Ward did on his TD. Blitz right in his face but Ben isn't fazed, doesn't try to escape the defender; he just makes a stick throw on the out route and lets Ward do the rest.

- Woodley likely hurt: 2nd and 2, 10:27 in 2nd: 1st down by Bess. Hard to tell but it looks like he just turned the wrong way after the throw.

- Kinda a funny moment. After one of Sanders long returns, he turns to go to the sidelines but is told by one of the coaches to get back onto the field as part of the offense.

- Great shot of Ben smiling on the Wallace touchdown. He's looking at the Miami sideline, too.

- Doug returned after a series. Foster started the second half. They rotated all day.

- Pass defense was fine. Henne had some completions but usually took a lot of time and multiple reads to find someone open.

- For what it's worth, I found a positive on the Bess touchdown. Good hustle from Worilds. He's rushing to start the play and ends up coming into frame in the end zone right after the TD.

- Starks is at 360-369. Anything under 370 is good in Tomlin's book according to Dierdorf.

- Can't let Dansby coe in free on the reverse. Think it's on Doug. Puncey has a guy and Chris is pulling. Doug sees Dansby too late.

Second Half
- Aaron Smith injury. 3rd and 1, 13:35 left in 3rd. Helps ake the tackle on Polite. Tough to tell for sure but it looks like he left arm gets toppled on by a couple of lineman.

- Been quite some time since we've seen the Foote stomp.

- On back-to-back plays, Worilds pass rush forces Henne to dump it off underneath.

- Hampton showed a spin move. Must have been a full moon.

- They started to run on us after Smith left. Runs of 5, 11, and 6 in the 3rd. To be fair, we were using a lot of two lineman sets.

- Keenan Lewis, active for the first time all year, replaced Gay as a starting gunner.

- Emmanuel Sanders was a pinch guy on kick coverage.

- Long completion to Fasano midway through the 4th: We brought a heavy blitz. They just did an excellent job of picking it up. ILB cross blitzes lost their effectiveness.

- People who said it are dead on. The 3rd and 5 block and release catch by More was huge.

- For what it's worth, Ben said he had "options" on the QB draw. Looks to be true. Randle El was running a fade and it looked like we had a rub fade on the right side with Ward running the fade and probably Wallace running the rub.

- The ruling after the booth review. "It was a fumble".....Cheers......."However"....Silence....."Pittsburgh ball"....Anger

- Clutch tackle by Gay on the 3rd and 8 before the fumble that sealed it.

- Worildv first forced fumble of his career. It was smart of him to turn around after getting the edge, knowing Henne would be stepping up and rolling to his right.

- Jonathan Scott is definitely a waist bender. Glad Flozell is expected to play this week.

Sacks
1. 3rd and 12, :20 left in 2nd - Chris gets bullrushed, and the defender makes the sack as Ben tries to step up.

Sack Counter (Week)
Chris Kemoeatu: 1

Sack Counter (Year)
Flozell Adams: 1.5
Chris Kemoeatu: 1
Dennis Dixon: 1
Jonathan Scott: 1
Tony Hills: 1
Max Starks: 1
Heath Miller: .5

* I still don't have numbers from the Ravens game. Been lazy in getting that information.

Injuries
Of course, the biggest is Aaron. Partial tear of his left triceps. Gotta think about his career too. Three arm injuries in the past four years. At his age and position, it's an uphill battle. I had my doubts coming into the year before this.

Flozell has a low ankle sprain. Expected to play against New Orleans.

Woodley has a hamstring. Not sure if he will play but if I had to guess, he will.

Essex is real close to returning. It will be interesting to see who starts at RG this week.

Kiesel is very questionable. Doubt he plays this week. Eason and Hood will start if Brett can't go.

---------------

I did a couple extra things this week. As I did last year when questions surrounded it, I looked at the running game. I broke down every running play as well as looking at empty, pony, and fullback sets.

Let's get right to it.

1. 1st and 10, 14:02 in 1st: Run off LG. Pouncey loses the nose, Kemo gets caught in traffic (failing to pick up the LB at the secod level) and loses his helmet. 1 yard gain.

2. 1st and 10, 10:30 - Run at the right "A" gap. Doug can't get to the LB quickly enough and he meets Mendenhall for the tackle. 4 yard gain.

3. 2nd and 6, 10:00 - Strong I, run at the "A" gap. Good blocks by Kemoeatu and Pouncey to open up initial hole, but Pouncey's guy slips off and makes the tackle. 4 yard gain.

4. 3rd and 2, 9:20 - Bell comes through untouched to stop Redman up the middle. We doubled the NT which gave Bell a free shot. A situation where a FB would have helped. 1 yard gain.

5. 1st and 10, 5:19 - Run up the middle with Moore. The safety comes down on him. 3 yards.

6. 2nd and 7, 4:37 - Run designed to the left, but the LB shoots through the hole. oore cuts it back to the right for a big gain. Ward had a good cut block. 16 yard gain.

7. 1st and 10, 3:22 - Draw up the middle. Mendenhall darts around for four.

8. 1st and 10, 1:25 - Run up the middle. OLB came in unblocked. Maybe a missed crackback by Ward? 4 yard gain.

9. 1st and 10, 12:55 in 2nd - Cutback to the left. Wake is free to make the tackle. Not Starks fault though. He correctly executed his down block; Mendenhall just didn't have the orginal hole and had to try to make a cut. 4 yard gain.

10. 2nd and 6, 12:17 - Run in the left C gap. A strong block from Max and Chris, and Mendenhall hits the hold hard. 8-9 yards.

11. 1st and 10, 11:04 in 3rd - Strong I run up the middle. Johnson whifs on the block, and Spaeth had a slow release off the snap. Two yards.

12. 2nd and 8, 10:03 - Designed run up the middle but their NT gets a great jump and drives Foster back. Mendy tries to bounce it to the left but Starks can't contain Wake. -3 yard loss.

13. 1st and 10, 8:12 - Run to the right. Pouncey's man takes a good angle and stops him for a loss. -2 yard loss.

14. 1st and 10, 6:42 - Run up the middle. Foster doesn't get a good push. Miami swarms for a two yard loss. Possible miscommunication on the play. Had trouble getting set.

15. 1st and 10, 1:08 - Run up the middle. Hole not there right away, allwing the backside linebacker to get Mendenhall. Looked like it was supposed to be a one-cut design but Spaeth can't create a lane. No gain.

16. 2nd and 10, 12:25 in 4th - Right side, Langford gets off Heath and makes the tackle. 6 yard gain.

17. 1st and 10, 10:33 - Right side. Good initial burst but the hole closes quickly. 4 yard gain.

18. 1st and 10, 5:02 - Strong I. Left side, Crowder gets off a block from Johnson. 3 yard gain.

19. 1st and 10, 2:57 - Strong I, run off tackle to the right. Redman gets the corner. About a 4 yard gain.

20. Strong I, pony backfield. Redman in at FB. No one gets a push, Heath loses leverage and the line is blown back. No gain.

21. 2nd and goal, 2:43 - Redman at FB. Moore goes in motion out wide. FB dive. 2-3 yard gain.

-------

Empty Set: Used three times.
Pony Backfield: Once
Formartion with a FB: Six with an additional play being run with a fullback but called back on a Legursky hold.

Chidi29
10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Couple of things we can get from that. For starters, the line wasn't able to generate a push most of the game. When you're getting blown off the ball, you're not going to be able to effectively run it. You're disrupting the timing and forcing the RB to dance and find a lane. Credit to Miami. Their defensive line did a nice job and this is one that lost Merling and Odrick this season.

We used FB formations twice as often as we did empty set.

Devilsdancefloor
10-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Couple of things we can get from that. For starters, the line wasn't able to generate a push most of the game. When you're getting blown off the ball, you're not going to be able to effectively run it. You're disrupting the timing and forcing the RB to dance and find a lane. Credit to Miami. Their defensive line did a nice job and this is one that lost Merling and Odrick this season.

We used FB formations twice as often as we did empty set.

That is promising! Id like to see more of it especially when we have the lead in the 2nd half to drain the clock & to give the D a rest. great job chidi love your break downs

Chidi29
10-28-2010, 08:34 PM
That is promising! Id like to see more of it especially when we have the lead in the 2nd half to drain the clock & to give the D a rest. great job chidi love your break downs

And to look at the FB use even more, we used a FB in 27% of running plays by running backs.

Merchant
10-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Jesus.. lol good stuff Chidi. Must've taken you forever.

GBMelBlount
10-28-2010, 09:49 PM
And to look at the FB use even more, we used a FB in 27% of running plays by running backs

Thanks for sharing Chidi.... :chuckle:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Sheldon_Cooper.jpg

Austin87
10-29-2010, 04:01 AM
Great read.

Galax Steeler
10-29-2010, 04:15 AM
Chidi has been doing some homework nice job.