PDA

View Full Version : Steelers convinced that numbers lie

cold-hard-steel
10-28-2010, 06:30 AM
http://937thefan.cbslocal.com/2010/10/28/steelers-convinced-that-numbers-lie/#

Steeldude
10-28-2010, 08:13 AM
or maybe it's why run when you can pass...

cold-hard-steel
10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
I think no matter what the stats say,if you are limiting points going up on the board,to hell with the stats. The game starts on the field,but it ends on the scoreboard.We have been doing a sufficient job of that.Maybe not as efficient as we would like,but sufficient none the less. I agree with Tomlin. I think stats can be very misleading.

X-Terminator
10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Tomlin and Coach Dad are right - the only stat that matters is PPG. Let teams pass the ball all over the field - if they ain't scoring TDs, it doesn't matter. Allowing so few points puts the team in position to win every game, which has been the case this season so far.

steeldevil
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Tomlin and Coach Dad are right - the only stat that matters is PPG. Let teams pass the ball all over the field - if they ain't scoring TDs, it doesn't matter. Allowing so few points puts the team in position to win every game, which has been the case this season so far.

This is what I have been saying everytime someone freaks out over the amount of passing yards we are allowing. The only defensive stat that really matters is how many points you allow. The End.

stlrtruck
10-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I DISAGREE, numbers don't lie...we are 5-1!

Oh wait he meant statistics :no: ...my bad! :sofunny:

Psycho Ward 86
10-28-2010, 11:41 AM
"The Steelers are fifth from the bottom among defenses, allowing opponents to complete 66.2 percent of their passes. During the fourth quarter, the Steelers rank a dreadful 31st as opponents complete nearly 70 percent of their passes."

I love that we are the best in the league in points allowed and run defense, and one of the best at getting sacks and takeaways, but this is a a hideous problem to have. We really don't need a repeat of the '09 season.

O'Malley
10-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I think no matter what the stats say,if you are limiting points going up on the board,to hell with the stats. The game starts on the field,but it ends on the scoreboard.We have been doing a sufficient job of that.Maybe not as efficient as we would like,but sufficient none the less. I agree with Tomlin. I think stats can be very misleading.

The most important stat is the score. If you have more then they do what do the stats mean? Wins and losses are all that matter.

MULLDOG24
10-28-2010, 12:42 PM
"The Steelers are fifth from the bottom among defenses, allowing opponents to complete 66.2 percent of their passes. During the fourth quarter, the Steelers rank a dreadful 31st as opponents complete nearly 70 percent of their passes."

I love that we are the best in the league in points allowed and run defense, and one of the best at getting sacks and takeaways, but this is a a hideous problem to have. We really don't need a repeat of the '09 season.

I have to agree here. I mean I too am glad that we are getting wins but at some point and it might be in the playoffs the pass completions being allowed are gonna hurt us. I don't know if it is because of scheme or personnel but I would like to see our "D" get better in this aspect of the game.

SteelerFanInStl
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM

I agree. That makes me nervous. We've got to do a better job against the pass, especially in the 4th quarter.

HollywoodSteel
10-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Winning or losing is the only stat that matters... in retrospect... after you've won the Super Bowl. But during the season it's not a bad idea to look at disturbing trends that could jump up and bite you later. Things that, if not corrected, could keep you from being on the good side of the only stat that matters.

I'm in no way saying that statistics can paint the whole picture, but sometimes they can help point you in the direction of certain things to look at.

O'Malley
10-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I have to agree. IMO it is a scheme thing. Fourth quarter it seems to me the cover 2 or prevent is kiling us. 20 yard completions add up to points. 3 quarters of stopping the offense and getting 3 and outs and then the D lays back and "protects" against the big plays in the fourth. I am not saying blitz every play in the fourth but at least get pressure. If it has worked for three quarters keep with it.

cold-hard-steel
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
I still have to go with having the most w's at the end of it all. We have lead in all catagories many times. At the end of it all, that scoreboard tells the final tale. You win or you loose. We can improve for sure,but like big daddy said,look at the points scored on us. At the end of the game,that is what matters most of all.

Psycho Ward 86
10-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh my god guys, we get it, winning is the most important statistic. In other news, babies make poopoo and Roger Goodell is retarded.

Our total completion % allowed, and completion % allowed in the 4th quarter are critical aspects of our games that are probably going to be the top reason why we will lose some games down the road. How about we discuss something that isn't so black and white?

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
-Vince Lombardi

Just some food for thought from the greatest coach of all time.

SMR
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
I have to agree. IMO it is a scheme thing. Fourth quarter it seems to me the cover 2 or prevent is kiling us. 20 yard completions add up to points. 3 quarters of stopping the offense and getting 3 and outs and then the D lays back and "protects" against the big plays in the fourth. I am not saying blitz every play in the fourth but at least get pressure. If it has worked for three quarters keep with it.

I agree with you on all points. We lost to Baltimore. We could have lost to Atlanta and Miami. This could mount up and bite us in the end. We still have to play teams like the Saints, Patriots, Jets, and the Ravens AT BALTIMORE. Sigh...

steeldawg
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
I think Dick knows what hes doing.

cold-hard-steel
10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh my god guys, we get it, winning is the most important statistic. In other news, babies make poopoo and Roger Goodell is retarded.

Our total completion % allowed, and completion % allowed in the 4th quarter are critical aspects of our games that are probably going to be the top reason why we will lose some games down the road. How about we discuss something that isn't so black and white?

"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."
-Vince Lombardi

Just some food for thought from the greatest coach of all time.

You should explain that to Dick and see where the conversation goes. Wonder what he would say? Probably just point to the score board,or hand ya a newspaper with the NFL team standings folded over so you could read it.