PDA

View Full Version : Hood says it's time for him to grow up

stillers4me
10-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Roethlisberger's advice to Ziggy Hood: "Don't try to be Aaron Smith" .......
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/steelers-wednesday-ziggy-says-its-time-for-him-to-grow-up/30912/

SMR
10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Great, great read. I'm much excited for that young pup! Go Hood!

Kaeg
10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Remember camp and preseason? Hood was a monster. I think the reasons for not hearing about him much so far would be his limited playing time and his high ankle sprain. The playing time changes starting now and the sprain he claims is in good shape. He feels about 95% right now. I expect good things.....real good things.

SteelerSal
10-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Remember camp and preseason? Hood was a monster. I think the reasons for not hearing about him much so far would be his limited playing time and his high ankle sprain. The playing time changes starting now and the sprain he claims is in good shape. He feels about 95% right now. I expect good things.....real good things.

Man I hope your right because what little I've seen of him, he has not impressed me. We need him and he is needed to play at the level that the team thinks he can play at for them to use a first rounder on him.

solardave
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I think we will see a future star being born. I hate it that Aaron is hurt again but I feel like Ziggy can fill in nicely.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Man I hope your right because what little I've seen of him, he has not impressed me. We need him and he is needed to play at the level that the team thinks he can play at for them to use a first rounder on him.

I agree Sal, I think he plays too high at times and gets caught handfighting rather than just keeping on moving forward. But remember that Hood played in a 4-3 at Mizzou and had a lot of those tendencys that need to be coached out of him. John Mitchell has done a good job, but isnt finished with Ziggy yet.

oneforthetoe
10-27-2010, 05:43 PM
We have to remember that it can take a long time to make the transition to a 3-4 DE. Aaron Smith is the exception, not the rule. Kiesel took how many years on the bench before he was ready to start? Even Eason is much better now than when he filled in for Aaron Smith previously, when he was out for an extended period of time. IMO, a 3-4 DE is the hardest position in football to fill. In part, because you rarely get a look at a kid playing the position in college.

Kaeg
10-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Let me temper my bold statement a little bit with a couple things I could have added before:
1. I still would feel more comfortable with Aaron Smith out there at least for a while.
2. I'm not saying Hood will tear it up right from the start. (Would be great though, wouldn't it?) But given time I think he'll come along very nicely.

BigNastyDefense
10-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Hood had the tendency to play kind of high in college. He never changed it because he was still an excellent player. He was also playing against some guys who just weren't good enough to stop him playing high.

It's being coached out of him, and the thing that's going to help change his playing high is getting snaps. As he sees that he has to use more fundamentally sound technique to succeed, he will start doing it more and it will become ingrained in him.

I think Hood has the talent to become the best 3-4 DE in football. But it's up to him to harness that talent and become a monster, reeking havoc in the trenches.

cold-hard-steel
10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
All the boards i go to has a mixed opinion about this young man. No matter how the board feels,which it is fine to disagree,but this guys number is being called. Hood knows it,we know it,and all his coaches know it too! He needs to step in and fill his role.I hope the pressure doesn't get to him.He will make us mad,or we will all be a big happy family. I'm still thinking about the "Hood is good" thread i want to start.

cold-hard-steel
10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
To take it one step farther,are they planning on using him as Aaron would have played the position? Or does Dick tweak his game plan somewhat?

SteelerFanInStl
10-27-2010, 06:58 PM
It's Ziggy time!

The Duke
10-27-2010, 07:06 PM
We have to remember that it can take a long time to make the transition to a 3-4 DE. Aaron Smith is the exception, not the rule. Kiesel took how many years on the bench before he was ready to start? Even Eason is much better now than when he filled in for Aaron Smith previously, when he was out for an extended period of time. IMO, a 3-4 DE is the hardest position in football to fill. In part, because you rarely get a look at a kid playing the position in college.

Completely agree. Even NT can be simpler

I think Hood has the talent to become the best 3-4 DE in football

with aaron smith as his mentor he better. hood will get there. Maybe not this year, heck maybe not next, but with Lebeau and mitchell he'll be a good DE sooner or later. But for now we need nothing more than your best effort kid.

Makes us proud!

SteelTheOne
10-27-2010, 07:34 PM
He is a first round pick...If he cant get it right by year 3?

GBMelBlount
10-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Hood had the tendency to play kind of high in college. He never changed it because he was still an excellent player. He was also playing against some guys who just weren't good enough to stop him playing high.

It's being coached out of him, and the thing that's going to help change his playing high is getting snaps. As he sees that he has to use more fundamentally sound technique to succeed, he will start doing it more and it will become ingrained in him.

This is a GREAT point.

oneforthetoe
10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Completely agree. Even NT can be simpler

Yea, I think there are a number of kids who can play either NT in a 3-4, or DT in a 4-3. "Big Snack" would be a fine DT in a 4-3. There are differences obviously, but at least you have a teammate on both sides of you as a NT/DT in either system. Most potential 3-4 DE probably played DT in collage, which means they had a teammate to their outside.

JayC
10-28-2010, 12:03 AM
he has a lot to prove, hasn't left much of an impression on me thus far. i hope the coaches give him a lot of playing time this week.

Galax Steeler
10-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Nice read on Hood I guess we will see what he has this Sunday.

Soufjerzz
10-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I am SOOOO excited to see what Hood can do. Young and new players always get me excited about this team.

Texasteel
10-28-2010, 08:18 PM
He is a first round pick...If he cant get it right by year 3?

Keep in mind, that this is what many, including me, were saying about Timmons. It's going to be fun watching Hood developing on the field, just wish it was under different circumstances.