PDA

View Full Version : Week 7 awards watch: Big Ben moving into MVP conversation

polamalubeast
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
By Bucky Brooks NFL.com
Analyst
Published: Oct. 26, 2010 at 07:07 p.m. Updated: Oct. 26, 2010 at 10:38 p.m

It appears Ben Roethlisberger has quickly shaken off the rust following a four-game suspension and is performing at a high level.

Roethlisberger has guided his team to two victories, and has directed an offense that was pedestrian in his absence.

In two starts, Roethlisberger has completed nearly 65 percent of his passes with five touchdown passes and only one interception. His 122.4 passer rating would blow the doors off the league leaders if he had enough attempts to qualify.

That sampling of numbers would make him a worthy Most Valuable Player candidate at anytime, but it has been his impact on the offense as a whole that has him on the radar. Roethlisberger has added a big-play element that had been missing. The Steelers only connected on 12 passes over 20 yards during their first four games, but have completed 14 passes of 20-plus yards since the two-time Super Bowl winner returned.

With the return of the deep ball, the Steelers have had an effective answer to opponents trying to slow down Rashard Mendenhall.

Some would argue that Roethlisberger is only a controversial call away from having a .500 record in his return. Still, that officiating error can't take away from his production.

While his play can't completely remove the stain that Roethlisberger's behavior cast on the Steelers' organization and the league, it has thrust him into a pool of MVP contenders.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ba4e51/article/week-7-awards-watch-big-ben-moving-into-mvp-conversation

Merchant
10-27-2010, 04:15 PM
It's flattering, but I think it's a tad premature to be talking about Ben on MVP watch after a two-game span.

siss
10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO

Ben needs to be the underdog!

This is bad luck!!!!!

stillers4me
10-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Even though we went 3-1 without him it was abuntantly clear how much he means to this offense. I think it's great that Ben is finally getting the recognition he deserves.

And note that Tomlin is high on the list for Coach and Harrison for DPOY.

siss
10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Well Tomlin should be coach of the year. Its bad luck for Ben this kind of recognition. I like him with a chip on his shoulder. Even if he won't admit its there.

ALLD
10-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Coach of the Year is Mike Singletary, without a doubt. Nobody else has provided soundbites like Mike. Between his "Who smells a rat comment" and the awful play of the team, he will singletaryhandedly ruin the legacy of the 1985 Bears.

The Duke
10-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Tomlin has definitely got to be in conversation for coach of the year. Going 3-1 without your start qb while your passing offense struggled at #31? plus his stance against the nfl rules? He's got a legitimate chance imo

dunno about ben just yet. It's been 2 games

Devilsdancefloor
10-27-2010, 07:22 PM
As long as there is a manning in the league ben will never see the MVP

zulater
10-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Ben could earn MVP honours this year, but there's not a chance in hell he'd win the vote. Maybe in another year or two?

Carolina Steelers
10-27-2010, 09:07 PM
It's flattering, but I think it's a tad premature to be talking about Ben on MVP watch after a two-game span.

I agree. I love the guy but way to early he makes a big difference to this offense, lets not forget he fumbled 3 times last game and the last one could have cost us the game.

fansince'76
10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
As long as there is a manning in the league ben will never see the MVP

Yep.

Psycho Ward 86
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Ben could earn MVP honours this year, but there's not a chance in hell he'd win the vote. Maybe in another year or two?

Yeah, I think he'll be playing Catsup with the rest of the MVP candidates because he'll have played 4 less games than them at year's end. No matter how well he plays I don't think it'll happen. I mean oh gee, we all know what a scourge of a man he is for not being convicted of any crimes in his life :rolleyes:

zulater
10-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I think he'll be playing Catsup with the rest of the MVP candidates because he'll have played 4 less games than them at year's end. No matter how well he plays I don't think it'll happen. I mean oh gee, we all know what a scourge of a man he is for not being convicted of any crimes in his life :rolleyes:

He'd have no trouble getting my vote if I had one ( if he earns it) but you know the national media will never forgive him this quick.

fansince'76
10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
He'd have no trouble getting my vote if I had one ( if he earns it) but you know the national media will never forgive him this quick.

That's one reason why I want so badly for us to get Lombardi number 7 in February, with Ben having the best game of his career in the process and sticking it up their asses.

zulater
10-27-2010, 09:42 PM
That's one reason why I want so badly for us to get Lombardi number 7 in February, with Ben having the best game of his career in the process and sticking it up their asses.

Yeah, me too. But even if that does happen they'll screw him out of the SB MVP award. Again.

The Duke
10-27-2010, 09:46 PM

even if we win 40-0 somehow we would have payed the refs :blah:

fansince'76
10-27-2010, 09:49 PM
even if we win 40-0 somehow we would have payed the refs :blah:

Yep, it's comical. :toofunny:

polamalubeast
10-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Steelers with and without Roethlisberger
............................ Pass yds....Pass TDs....... Total yds.............. W-L
Without (4 games) 136.0.........0.75 ..................269.5 ..............3-1
With (2 games) ......273.5........ 2.5 ...................363.0............. 2-0