PDA

View Full Version : Tomlins Decision Not to IR Aaron Smith Right Now Is Unorthodox But Makes Sense

LLT
10-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Tomlin’s Decision Not to IR Aaron Smith Right Now Is Unorthodox But Makes Sense
Posted on October 27, 2010
Steelers Lounge

Head coach Mike Tomlin surprised fans of the Steeler nation and its press corps at his Tuesday press conference by announcing the team had no immediate plans to place veteran defensive end Aaron Smith on the season-ending injured reserve list despite Smith undergoing surgery on Monday for a torn triceps tendon suffered in Sunday’s win at Miami.

Typically, a 34-year-old, 3-4 defensive lineman who suffers a torn triceps in the sixth game of the season is automatically placed on IR to open up a spot on the 53-man roster for someone else. This is why the well-respected and connected Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, along with most other local and national media outlets, all reported that Smith was likely gone for the season on Sunday evening or Monday.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/tomlins-decision-ir-aaron-smith-unorthodox-sense/

zulater
10-27-2010, 05:37 AM
One other potential advantage of not putting Aaron on IR that hasn't been mentioned here is the phycological edge that it provides to the rest of the team to play to get their teammate on the field for one last hurrah. You read the quotes of his fellow Steelers and it comes through pretty loud and clear that he's revered by his teammates, if in fact players can be motivated to a higher standard of play what better motivational tool can there be than to keep winning than to get Aaron one last Super Bowl trip?

venom
10-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Unless Tomlin knows we will be playing until February , lol

LLT
10-27-2010, 05:46 AM
One other potential advantage of not putting Aaron on IR that hasn't been mentioned here is the phycological edge that it provides to the rest of the team to play to get their teammate on the field for one last hurrah. You read the quotes of his fellow Steelers and it comes through pretty loud and clear that he's revered by his teammates, if in fact players can be motivated to a higher standard of play what better motivational tool can there be than to keep winning than to get Aaron one last Super Bowl trip?

Excellent point!!!!!

I dont know if i agree with the writers suggestion to put Dwyer on the PS...Somebody will grab him and hide him on their 53 man roster hoping for a future payoff. My guess would be that Butler might go to the PS and Mclendon or Woods (probably Mclendon) will be moved up.

CanadianSteel
10-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Agree withy this apprpoach for now as its widely known that big Aaron is highly respected in that locker room as a player and person. Give him a few months to see how the healing is coming along.

Imagine heading into the playoffs and getting hiom back even on a limited basis.... could provide a big boost for the D..... good call IMO as well

SteelTheOne
10-27-2010, 07:43 PM
We will never win another game without the great Aaron Smith! The ageless 34 year old keeps getting better and better. How dare we think a stud 24 year old number one pick could ever suffice!

oneforthetoe
10-27-2010, 09:47 PM
We will never win another game without the great Aaron Smith! The ageless 34 year old keeps getting better and better. How dare we think a stud 24 year old number one pick could ever suffice!

Want to show me the tape of Hood playing like a Stud? I am rooting for the kid. I really am, because we need him. However SteelTheOne, you seem to in favor of youth for the sake of youth, regardless of whether the younger player is better. It is not just my opinion that Smith was having a good season. A number of football people have mentioned that very fact this week since Aaron went down. And, I would remind you that there have been other d'linemen in this league who were effective after 34. I believe Pat Williams of the Vikings is 38.