PDA

View Full Version : Harris: Steelers must re-sign Ike Taylor

tube517
10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Six games into their season, the Steelers know what they must do.

They have to take care of cornerback Ike Taylor. They have to lock up Taylor for at least the next three years while he's in his prime.

The Steelers can't pay everyone, but they have to pay Taylor, who becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706128.html

SteelerSal
10-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't imagine how our pass defense would be like without Ike on the field.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Add him to the list that includes Woodley, Timmons and ????????????????

fansince'76
10-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Better trade Timmons before everyone else figures out he's a bust! :chuckle:

The Duke
10-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Add him to the list that includes Woodley, Timmons and ????????????????

Colon? though he'll probably get a small contract so no worries there

steelpride12
10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes Ike and Wood are on the top of my must resign list! Our secondary is probably the weakest part of our defense and he is the best corner we have and he is def. in his prime.

ALLD
10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Sign Ike to a reasonable contract and make Sweed another CB.

Count Steeler
10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Sign Ike to a reasonable contract and make Sweed another CB.

Yeah, then neither corner will be able to catch a pass.

tube517
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
That's a requirement for Steeler CB's

Yeah, then neither corner will be able to catch a pass.

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes Ike and Wood are on the top of my must resign list! Our secondary is probably the weakest part of our defense and he is the best corner we have and he is def. in his prime.

Is he in his prime? Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the resign Ike camp, but isn't he over 30 now? Ike relies primarily on his amazing speed to hang with receivers, unlike corners like Champ Bailey whose reliance on his hands and intelligence allows him to play well beyond his physical prime.

No offense Ike. I still love you.

SteelerSal
10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Is he in his prime? Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly in the resign Ike camp, but isn't he over 30 now? Ike relies primarily on his amazing speed to hang with receivers, unlike corners like Champ Bailey whose reliance on his hands and intelligence allows him to play well beyond his physical prime.

No offense Ike. I still love you.

I have yet to see any of Ike's skills take a step backwards due to age.....the guy is still one of the top 5 corners I'd want on my team.

SteelTheOne
10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Without a doubt We need Ike....We have struggled with DB and DL picks thru the draft.

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I only want Ike back because right now it doesn't seem like we have anything better

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I have yet to see any of Ike's skills take a step backwards due to age.....the guy is still one of the top 5 corners I'd want on my team.

You are definitely right. He's at the top of his game right now. I know it's a little besides the point since we absolutely need him for the next couple of years, but I sometimes wonder how long a guy like him, who relies so much on his speed, will last. If he had hands or a Rod Woodson-like nose for the ball it would be a different matter.

steeldevil
10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
"We like Ike."

SteelerSal
10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
You are definitely right. He's at the top of his game right now. I know it's a little besides the point since we absolutely need him for the next couple of years, but I sometimes wonder how long a guy like him, who relies so much on his speed, will last. If he had hands or a Rod Woodson-like nose for the ball it would be a different matter.

These guys are so well conditioned that barring any type of serious knee injury, these guys can keep their top speed into their mid 30's. Heck even if Ike was to lose a step he'd still be just as fast as most other db's in the league.

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
These guys are so well conditioned that barring any type of serious knee injury, these guys can keep their top speed into their mid 30's. Heck even if Ike was to lose a step he'd still be just as fast as most other db's in the league.

A little nugget for y'all: Tony Shaw, Ike's speed trainer also worked with Deion Sanders and CJ2K, and says Ike is the fastest of the 3. It's on a video on his website, quite remarkable.

SteelerSal
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
A little nugget for y'all: Tony Shaw, Ike's speed trainer also worked with Deion Sanders and CJ2K, and says Ike is the fastest of the 3. It's on a video on his website, quite remarkable.

:drink:

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2010, 08:21 PM

At the beginning of last season Ike complimented Wallace on his speed but said that he, Ike, was a little faster. He didn't sound boastful or anything, just stating fact.

I tend to believe him.

Devilsdancefloor
10-26-2010, 10:08 PM
If ike had hands he wold be mentioned on the level revis has been mentioned as of late. Ike is a steeler through and through. I do not want to see him go anywhere. He doesnt rely on to much help over the top which allows troy to be troy, plus coach dad trust him a lot so if he does i would have to say i do as well. this weekend marshall we really quiet because of Ike. I would be willing to bet he would take a home town discount as well.

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2010, 10:26 PM
The other thing he has going for him besides his speed is his hight. It allows him to match up well with guys like Brandon Marshall.

zulater
10-26-2010, 10:28 PM
If Ike could catch he'd be one ritch s.o.b.

steelreserve
10-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Before we worry about who we need to re-sign, let's figure out whether there's going to be a salary cap in 2011. Or a season, for that matter.

SteelerFanInStl
10-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Yes, Ike is a priority. He's the only CB on our team who's proven himself to be consistently good. I'd hate to think how bad our pass D would be without him.

PalmerSteel
10-27-2010, 09:20 AM
he is a high priority but definately not top. woodley and timmons are the top 2 because of talent and age. ike goes after them. he is getting up there in age for a CB so he may have to take a little bit of a discount vs. other offers to stay with us.

CanadianSteel
10-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Also remember Ike re-negotiating his contract a couple years back to free up some cap room for the Steelers. I forget exactly who the extra dough was needed for to sign but a good faith jesture by Ike.... and I think the Steelers will remember this and make him a fair offer.