PDA

View Full Version : Disputed possession rule will likely stand

stillers4me
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
By Bob Cohn (rcohn@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It was an unusual call, but it held little that might lead to a rules cange or even further review, Mike Pereira said yesterday.

"Cut and dried," the league's former vice-president of officiating said of the fourth-quarter call in the Steelers' 23-22 victory over Miami on Sunday that left the Dolphins and their fans seething.

"They took that game from us, man," linebacker Karlos Dansby said. A headline in the Palm Beach Post read, "Officials quit on the play, and Miami Dolphins are left in the lurch."

Some have claimed that Ben Roethlisberger's touchdown-turned-fumble that was never recovered -- allowing the Steelers to keep possession and kick the winning field goal -- will cause the NFL to alter the rule. "I can't see that happening," said Pereira, who is now a Fox analyst.............

Read more......http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_706108.html

tube517
10-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Someone should send this info to the old fart on You Tube complaining about the call.

I want to see more funny videos. :pop2:

fansince'76
10-26-2010, 04:39 PM
The Rooneys "payed" Pereira to say that. He's part of the big KIN-SPEAR-A-SEE too! :behindsofa:

NCSteeler
10-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Didn't Mike Pereira visit Pittsburgh once?? It's obvious he's biased

cold-hard-steel
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm startin to like that guy.

wvsportsman
10-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Someone should send this info to the old fart on You Tube complaining about the call.

I want to see more funny videos. :pop2:

Send a copy to Tony Sparano while their at it! Saw him whining like a little BITCH on NFL channel yesterday.

In 50 years of watching steeler football, i've not once seen Noll, Cowher or Tomlin whine about a call that went against them
or make excuses for losing. Try accepting responsibility for your team not making the best of two gifts in the redzone
or not making a drive with more than two minutes left in the game there Tony!!

CPanther95
10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
It's a no-brainer, unless you legalize late hits and other dead ball fouls.

If you base the results of a play on action after the ball is ruled dead (by TD, whistle, etc.), you're going to encourage dead ball action.

The current guidelines were only to address an obvious change of possession that couldn't POSSIBLY have been different regardless of how other players on the field may, or may not, have reacted to the play being ruled dead - specifically, to address what happened to SD vs. Denver a few years ago. There still is an assumption that once the ball is ruled dead, that most players disengage immediately - and they are not going to ever change that assumption.

ALLD
10-27-2010, 09:40 AM
For some strange reason I have intuition that this rule somehow benefits Tom Brady and the Pats.

SCSTILLER
10-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't we leave over 2 minutes on the clock after the field goal? Now, I would like to ask Karlos Dansby why his team wasn't able to pick up 40-50 yards in more than two minutes to put themselves in position to kick the winning field goal. The call didn't win the game for the Steelers, our defense did!

salamander
10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't we leave over 2 minutes on the clock after the field goal? Now, I would like to ask Karlos Dansby why his team wasn't able to pick up 40-50 yards in more than two minutes to put themselves in position to kick the winning field goal. The call didn't win the game for the Steelers, our defense did!

With the way everyone's bitching, you would swear that we kicked the FG with no time left on the clock.