PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Will Harrison Remain Gun-Shy?

stillers4me
10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Monday, 25 October 2010 13:31
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvc3BvcnRzLXRvd24vc3RlZWxlcnMvMTA1OTE 2LWVkLXdpbGwtaGFycmlzb24tcmVtYWluLWd1bi1zaHk%3D)

Not many seemed to find it troubling that James Harrison acknowledged pulling up rather than tackling Miami’s Ronnie Brown on a play over the middle Sunday. Larry Foote went ahead and made the tackle.

In fact, those I’ve heard talk about it say it was the smart thing to do by Harrison.

So, here you have a linebacker not wanting to tackle a running back because he admittedly feared the NFL crackdown on big hits? Harrison, mind you, wasn’t planning on making an illegal hit on Brown. He planned to aim low. He said he was lucky he did not try to make the tackle because Brown then ducked low and it might have been a helmet to helmet collision.................................... Has the NFL successfully helped neutralize two Pro Bowl Steelers defenders with its crackdown? It’s just one week, but there is video evidence – and an admittance from one – that Harrison and Polamalu shied away from tackles because of it.............

Read more http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/105916-ed-will-harrison-remain-gun-shy?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Steeldude
10-25-2010, 04:12 PM
goodell wants a wuss league.

if harrison tackles him like he said then he would have been suspended because brown lowered his head. it's ok the offensive player to lead with their head.

GodfatherofSoul
10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Goodell will get the pussified Arena League football that he's drooling over.

BigNastyDefense
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
I say they should aim for the chest/stomach area and if the damn offensive player ducks low, then appeal any and all suspensions and fines because it's not the defenders fault if the offensive player puts himself in the position to get whacked in the head.

steeldevil
10-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I have no problem with that particular pull up by James. I just hope it does not become a common trend for him. I think he could have helped Foote drag the runner down at least instead of running past the play.

HometownGal
10-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I just hope it does not become a common trend for him. I think he could have helped Foote drag the runner down at least instead of running past the play.

Sadly, if it was going to cost me another $75,000 or possibly splinters in my ass or a banishment from my place of employment, me thinks I'd do exactly what James did yesterday on the Brown play. It sucks that he has to divert from his game because a sniveling, pussified worm with little man complex wants the physicality taken out of a sport that was built on physical play but he's playing it safe for now which is really the only choice he has as he's under Goodildo's microscope.

Craic
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
As has been said before here... If an offensive player lowers his head... then helmet to helmet collisions should be considered incidental, unless it is a CLEAR case of leading with helmet... and ONLY the helmet.

86WARD
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
No. Harrison laid into the side of Williams with badass force. The hit was identical to the hit on Massaquoi just to the side of Williams.

zulater
10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
If he had gone in full force unabated as usual there he might have been able to force a fumble? So on one hand I understand what he did, because he knows it's not a fine he's looking at next time, it's a suspension, but on the other hand I think it sucks.