PDA

View Full Version : Sanders or Brown at KR?

Merchant
10-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Brown of course had the TD against the Titans, but Sanders looked good too today against the dolphins, getting that 48 yard return to set up the game winning field goal.

I don't know why the debate isn't Sanders or Brown at KR/PR.. no idea why ARE is back there on punts.

Galax Steeler
10-25-2010, 03:33 AM
It seems to me like Sanders is the man to do kickoff returns. This was his second game of returning and he really looked good he almost took that one to the house. He is also helping out on offense looking good in my opinion.

tube517
10-25-2010, 07:38 AM
They are rookies. Tomlin is too scared to let them back there. Also, I don't think ARE really wants to be back there. When he was re-signed, he said he was told he was coming back as a #3 WR and not really for punt returns.

Brown of course had the TD against the Titans, but Sanders looked good too today against the dolphins, getting that 48 yard return to set up the game winning field goal.

I don't know why the debate isn't Sanders or Brown at KR/PR.. no idea why ARE is back there on punts.

SteelerSal
10-25-2010, 07:43 AM

yeah I agree with tube517....it's for ball security reasons and in my opinion thats the only reason. Man I hate when ARE dances around for a no gain...just take the ball and freakin run!

steelpride12
10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Of course Sanders is the man for KR's. Sure he fumbled his first run back, but he is a rookie mistakes will be made. After the fumble he returned the ball to the Steelers 40, 45 and midfield which in the end helped us win.

TheRuneMeister
10-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Sanders is great on KR. Very elusive. He had the fumble, but that can be corrected.(hopefully) Brown was good as well, but more of a straight runner it seems. No doubt that his return TD was great, but it was set up by the reverse...so the special teams coach gets a part of that one I think.

stlrtruck
10-25-2010, 09:34 AM
put them both back there!! Double threat!

TheRuneMeister
10-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Not a bad idea. Now we just need both activated during a game :)

LLT
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
yeah I agree with tube517....it's for ball security reasons and in my opinion thats the only reason. Man I hate when ARE dances around for a no gain...just take the ball and freakin run!

Totally agree....I think the vast majority of Steeler fans are about ready to see Sanders and Brown dress with ARE on the sidelines in the grey sweatshirt.

SteelerSal
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM

I like how Redman was back there to lead block for Sanders...he did a great job, especially leading the way on Sanders last big return.

Deactivate Battle and activate Brown and have Brown return punts instead of ARE. IMO

SteelerFanInStl
10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Either one. I just don't want to see ARE returning punts any more. He's as likely to fumble a punt as the other two are and he has no chance for a good return.

HollywoodSteel
10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Can either one play defensive end in a 3-4?

Texasteel
10-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Personally I hope he keeps alternating them. I would like to give both as much field time as possible. Looking two years down the road I can see Wallace and Brown streaking down the sidelines and Sanders cutting across the middle. All have class speed, and good hands. It should be interesting.

cold-hard-steel
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't really think it matters a whole hill of beans who's back there between Sanders,and Brown. They both showed they have potential to break a big one wide open. As far as ARE,he is pretty trustworthy back there in a close game.I don't care if he fair catches it or not. He's safe in a close game.I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of both in the future. Our special teams have not been a weak link as they have in the past few seasons. That's what over rides the whole thing. I'd say they are 95% improved,and thats a good thing. Sanders,El,Brown,i don't really care as long as they are not the weak link on this team.

SteelMember
10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
As many have alluded to, I think the PR is the bigger question.

solardave
10-25-2010, 04:36 PM

Sure hands.

Kaeg
10-25-2010, 04:50 PM
I swear it looked to me a bit like Sanders was JOGGING through some of those holes on those returns. And he STILL got through them! Blew my mind.

stillers4me
10-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I can't wait until the day comes when we see both Sanders and Brown on the field at the same time. I'm betting it will be before the end of the season. Tomlin is creating a healthy competition between the two of them and that will only make them both better at a faster rate.

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Brown is a two time MAC Special Teams Player of the Year due to his prolific return ability. The guy's initial quickness as a punt returner is freakin' electric. I say if Brown ever wins this back and forth competition between himself and Sanders, he NEEDS to be the punt returner....you know, as thrilled as we all are about his punt return average of 3 yards :chuckle:

...Seriously though, his punt return average is 3 yards...we gotta address that lol

Chidi29
10-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't see a big difference between the two as a return man. Both will work and heck, Sanders might even still be improving as a kick return man. He really only returned punts at SMU if I remember correctly.

But as an actual wide receiver, Sanders seems better. That gives him an edge. Plus, I can't get over Brown's arrogance. Annoying.

As Tomlin said, let one of them earn it. Best man in practice will get the jersey on gameday. They can serve the sae roles (Receiver, returner, perimeter guys on kick coverage - Sanders as a pinch, Brown as outside contain).

Galax Steeler
10-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I swear it looked to me a bit like Sanders was JOGGING through some of those holes on those returns. And he STILL got through them! Blew my mind.

I agree that he has some speed left. I also agree with deactivating Battle and bring Brown in what has Battle done for us this year.

stillers4me
10-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree what he has some speed left. I also agree with deactivating Battle and bring Brown in what has Battle done for us this year.

Scribble that on a napkin and put it in the suggestion box, please.

Steeltreal
10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
The better the field position the less room Mike Wallace has to the back of the end zone.

RushHard34
10-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't see a big difference between the two as a return man. Both will work and heck, Sanders might even still be improving as a kick return man. He really only returned punts at SMU if I remember correctly.

But as an actual wide receiver, Sanders seems better. That gives him an edge. Plus, I can't get over Brown's arrogance. Annoying.

As Tomlin said, let one of them earn it. Best man in practice will get the jersey on gameday. They can serve the sae roles (Receiver, returner, perimeter guys on kick coverage - Sanders as a pinch, Brown as outside contain).

I believe the correct term is swagger

Chidi29
10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
I believe the correct term is swagger

Call it whatever you like, he shows too much of it for as unproven he is.

Craic
10-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I think Sanders has definitely earned the right to be looked at as the main kick returner. He also showed that he can play some WR as well. This kid has a decent to good future ahead of us.

I really hope that Hines Ward is holding class every day and twice on Monday these kids. Cause if he is, We may be hearing "Ben to Wallace" "Ben to Sanders" "Ben to Brown" and of course "Ben to Miller" for YEARS to come....

86WARD
10-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Not a bad idea. Now we just need both activated during a game :)

SHouldn't be difficult. ARE blows...

Just need him to sit...

Chidi29
10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
I agree that he has some speed left. I also agree with deactivating Battle and bring Brown in what has Battle done for us this year.

Let's not overlook the gritty work Battle has done on special teams. I haven't seen a lot of it for myself, but his position doesn't get a lot of attention unless you're screwing up.

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Sure hands.

My ass, he's already muffed two punts.

Call it whatever you like, he shows too much of it for as unproven he is.

It's all fine and dandy till he can't back it up, but maybe that's just me. See -----> Joey Porter

He was setting up his blocks and he did that marvelously on those 2 long returns.

steelerdude15
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Brown definitely.

Craic
10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
He was setting up his blocks and he did that marvelously on those 2 long returns.

Exactly. I was kinda shocked to watch him what looked like JOGGING through all those piles, as if it was a 1/2 speed practice. However, having the patience to allow those blocks to be set up/happen says A LOT about a rookie in the NFL. The game definitely isn't too fast for him... otherwise he would be trying to fly through everything just to "keep up" since it would be his perception that everything was going too fast.

Wallace108
10-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I need another look at Sanders on returns. But I think he's definitely the better receiver right now.