PDA

View Full Version : The Immaculate Misconception

ALLD
10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
The refs blew the call, but ESPN reported that two of them live in Pittsburgh. The Fins still had a chance to win and we spotted them six points, but we got an early Christmas gift.

fansince'76
10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Disney Channel II - 'nuff said. They're always on point with the innuendos and implications of fixed games.

ESPN viewership = one of the primary reasons that so many sports fans in this country have become blubbering pussies who can never accept losses and always claim the fix is in when they don't get their way. The other primary reason being the nauseating "everyone is a winner and everyone gets a trophy for participating" mindset that has become so pervasive. :coffee:

Merchant
10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Phins got a gift too. Two fumbles in the opening two minutes. Let's call it even :P

Wallace108
10-24-2010, 07:06 PM
We can't say what would have happened if the Dolphins had gotten the ball at the 20. All we can say for sure is that we stole one ... moving on ... :nod:

kmsteelerwr15
10-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Disney Channel II - 'nuff said. They're always on point with the innuendos and implications of fixed games.

ESPN viewership = one of the primary reasons that so many sports fans in this country have become blubbering pussies who can never accept losses and always claim the fix is in when they don't get their way. The other primary reason being the nauseating "everyone is a winner and everyone gets a trophy for participating" mindset that has become so pervasive. :coffee:

This :clap2:

The Duke
10-24-2010, 07:30 PM

This so much!

Accept the loss as a man (or a woman..) and move on. It's not that hard

Butch
10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
What are we the only ones who get the benefit of calls??? Look we got Lucky today and I got no problem with it. That call could have just as easily gone against us and we will never know how that woulda turned out, big freakin' deal.

Tomorrow when anyone asks me about it I'm gonna say I would rather be Lucky than Good, because if you're Lucky you don't have to be good, but if you're good you still have to be Lucky.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 07:57 PM
We can't say what would have happened if the Dolphins had gotten the ball at the 20. All we can say for sure is that we stole one ... moving on ... :nod:

We didn't steal one. We may have gotten a lucky break, but we also gave them two lucky breaks early in the game. If there hadn't been a TD called on the play, the person coming out of the pile with the ball might have been completely different.

steelreserve
10-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm still pissed about the call at the end of the Chargers game in 2008 where Polamalu ran back an INT for a touchdown to end the game, but for some reason, they didn't count the points and no explanation for it after the game either. If you had Pittsburgh -4 in that game, you got royally hosed. I'll take this as a make-up for that one.

ALLD
10-24-2010, 08:05 PM
If it is any consolation, in the post-game interviews the Dolphin players are taking it well. Most of them are saying they should have stopped us at the 50-yard line before we got down into the red zone. Plus the fact they were kicking FGs instead of scoring TDs.

fansince'76
10-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm still pissed about the call at the end of the Chargers game in 2008 where Polamalu ran back an INT for a touchdown to end the game, but for some reason, they didn't count the points and no explanation for it after the game either. If you had Pittsburgh -4 in that game, you got royally hosed. I'll take this as a make-up for that one.

Oh, yeah - the game where we also got tagged with 13 penalties to the Chargers' 2? But the NFL "wants us to win to make more money." :rolleyes:

Wallace108
10-24-2010, 08:13 PM
We didn't steal one. We may have gotten a lucky break, but we also gave them two lucky breaks early in the game. If there hadn't been a TD called on the play, the person coming out of the pile with the ball might have been completely different.

There's a difference between our defense giving them "lucky breaks" and the refs giving us a "lucky break." Like I said ... we won. Moving on. :drink:

X-Terminator
10-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Roethlisberger post-game: "I hate to win that way..."
Tomlin post-game: "Make it quick, because we have the buses warmed up."

Even they realize that we did, in fact, steal one.

zulater
10-24-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010102401/2010/REG7/steelers@dolphins/recap/full-story?module=HP_headlines#tab:watch

About the 2.35 mark, how can anyone say for sure Legurskey didn't recover the fumble only to lose possession in the scrum afterwards?

cakmakli
10-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Shit happens or maybe that's what $75,000 will buy you. :sarcasm:

steelpride12
10-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Of course only the Steelers pay the refs off, always the Steelers who get the breaks, haha childish. I do remember the evident illegal contact on Ward in which he was not able to get the TD, and the countless holding calls never called against Harrison, Or maybe even the hold on Troy on the Bess touchdown, I don't wanna hear whining.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Roethlisberger post-game: "I hate to win that way..."
Tomlin post-game: "Make it quick, because we have the buses warmed up."

Even they realize that we did, in fact, steal one.

No, they just don't like having any kind of controversy. The fact is that we have no way to possibly know who would have come up with that fumble if it hadn't been called a TD.

Wallace108
10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
No, they just don't like having any kind of controversy. The fact is that we have no way to possibly know who would have come up with that fumble if it hadn't been called a TD.

If it had been called a TD, it doesn't matter who came up with the ball. But since it was ruled a fumble, either we recover it in the endzone (touchdown) or the Dolphins recover it (touch back). There's not a lot of gray area here. :noidea:

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 08:57 PM
If it had been called a TD, it doesn't matter who came up with the ball. But since it was ruled a fumble, either we recover it in the endzone (touchdown) or the Dolphins recover it (touch back). There's not a lot of gray area here. :noidea:

But it wasn't ruled a fumble on the field. It was ruled a TD. Once the ref says TD, things on the field change. There's no longer any reason to hang on to or go after the football.

Wallace108
10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
But it wasn't ruled a fumble on the field. It was ruled a TD. Once the ref says TD, things on the field change. There's no longer any reason to hang on to or go after the football.

Upon review, they determined it was a fumble. But they said they couldn't determine who recovered the ball, even though a Dolphins player clearly came out of the pile with the ball.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Upon review, they determined it was a fumble. But they said they couldn't determine who recovered the ball, even though a Dolphins player clearly came out of the pile with the ball.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. They couldn't determine who recovered the ball because once they said that it was a TD, the play is over. They would've had to have indisputable evidence of who had control of the football AT THE EXACT TIME AS WHEN THEY SAID TD. They were unable to do that.

zulater
10-24-2010, 09:10 PM

Yeah but he didn't have clear cut possession until about 30 seconds after the play was dead. Fact is Legurskey came as close as anyone to establishing possession before the whistle blew. And if at any point Legurskey establsihes possession it should have been a touchdown Steelers. It's football not wrestling, grabbing a dead ball from under the pile isn't a fumble recovery.

tube517
10-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Game over.

Scoreboard.

Standings say 5-1. Dolphins to their credit aren't crying about it and they played pretty well. They get credit for a well played football game. They don't get the W. Period.

Next.

stillers4me
10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Game over.

Scoreboard.

Standings say 5-1. Dolphins to their credit aren't crying about it and they played pretty well. They get credit for a well played football game. They don't get the W. Period.

Next.

What he said.

Hindes204
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I think..................doesnt matter, we won

Kaeg
10-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I forget where I heard it, but I heard a claim that Ben said he had come up with it anyway. Upon some replays I did notice his hand get in there along with others, but I couldn't tell anything. But that considered, I hear that we would not have been able to advance the fumble anyway, so it would not have been ruled a TD. Therefore, we would have went for the FG anyway and the end results seems to me to be identical. This is all hearsay from what I've been hearing from analysts though, so I'm really just throwing it in as food for thought. Not really to state any case one way or another.

X-Terminator
10-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, I don't intend to argue this ad infinitum. I'll take the W for sure, but I still think we got away with one.

Moving on...

steelerdude15
10-24-2010, 10:45 PM
How about the fact that there were two illegal contact penalties that weren't called?