PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace.. I don't get this dude man

Merchant
10-24-2010, 04:46 PM
It's great that he's leading the NFL in Yards Per Reception since '09 and all.. but how come he gets 0 receptions on short-intermediate routes. He's arguably the fastest player in the NFL.. but what? he can't run a 7-yard Out? I don't wanna come off like I'm complaining but it's just mind-boggling how a weapon like this is getting about 2 receptions/game.

The Duke
10-24-2010, 04:47 PM
wasn't his other catch a screen?

X-Terminator
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
It's great that he's leading the NFL in Yards Per Reception since '09 and all.. but how come he gets 0 receptions on short-intermediate routes. He's arguably the fastest player in the NFL.. but what? he can't run a 7-yard Out? I don't wanna come off like I'm complaining but it's just mind-boggling how a weapon like this is getting about 2 receptions/game.

He's not a polished route runner just yet. Until he gets better at it, he won't be much more than a deep threat. Hines, Randle El and Miller will be getting the catches in the intermediate routes, and Hines seems to get all the catches in the bubble screens.

steelpride12
10-24-2010, 04:51 PM
It's true, this guy is getting touchdowns, but also only getting 1-2 catches a game and 90% of the time they are deep balls. Not sure if he is having trouble running short routes or what.

Merchant
10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
He's not a polished route runner just yet. Until he gets better at it, he won't be much more than a deep threat. Hines, Randle El and Miller will be getting the catches in the intermediate routes, and Hines seems to get all the catches in the bubble screens.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wallace get a few of those bubble screens.. with his speed and Ward blocking for him he should be able to pick up 6-10 yards.

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2010, 04:59 PM

You are completely RIGHT to complain. I've been pissed about the same thing. He's on pace for barely 40-50 catches this season. Pitiful for a starting WR. He needs to become a complete body of work. I'm going to be all over him till he does that.

steeldawg
10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
wallace is used to stretch the D so underneath routes can come open. If wallace were to run underneath routes he wouldnt have much room because ther would be no one to stretch the D. Look what happened with holmes as soon as we got wallace everything opened up for him underneath.

Merchant
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Teams are terrified of him on a fly-pattern, the corner usually gives him that 7 yard cushion I've noticed.. so it just seems like a hitch, button-hook, quick-slant, would be there. I aunno, maybe I'm missing something.

cold-hard-steel
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM

Don't feel alone dude,he is an asset to our team,but even Tomlin tried to get in his head. Tomlin called him "a one trick poney". He will get there sooner or later.I commend him for what he brings to our team. Always respect the speed man. Always!!!!!Not the prettiest win i have witnessed,but still a sweet victory.

SMR
10-24-2010, 05:55 PM
You are completely RIGHT to complain. I've been pissed about the same thing. He's on pace for barely 40-50 catches this season. Pitiful for a starting WR. He needs to become a complete body of work. I'm going to be all over him till he does that.

I feel the same way.

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2010, 06:07 PM
wallace is used to stretch the D so underneath routes can come open. If wallace were to run underneath routes he wouldnt have much room because ther would be no one to stretch the D. Look what happened with holmes as soon as we got wallace everything opened up for him underneath.

You think it's ok that Hines is nearing retirement and we dont have another wide receiver that's a complete body of work?

cold-hard-steel
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
You think it's ok that Hines is nearing retirement and we dont have another wide receiver that's a complete body of work?

I think we already have that part figured out.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 06:31 PM

I think Hines has got at least 2 more years left after this one.

ALLD
10-24-2010, 06:38 PM

The is the most optimistic thought from this weekend, but highly unlikely. With a lockout you are witnessing history with every catch.

fansince'76
10-24-2010, 06:47 PM

If we win the whole ball of wax again, he won't be back.

zulater
10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Maybe Wallace wasn't asked to do more than he did? I know there were at least a couple of plays he was open on that Ben checked down underneath. ( successfully so) Also I think game circumstances played a part. The Steelers kept trying to force the ground game to no avail, so when they did pass it was in long yardage situations, so they would be more likely to use Wallace to clear out and go underneath in those situations.

I got a feeling the Steelers coaching staff is having no trouble with Mike Wallace tonight.

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2010, 07:07 PM
That would be nearing retirement.

I think we already have that part figured out.
No, we don't. Who's going to be the go to receiver when Ward is gone? We don't KNOW who's going to be a legitimate, consistent, 1,000 yard, 70+ reception wide receiver for us when Ward is gone. All we have right now is men with potential (Wallace, Brown, Sanders). Potential isn't enough if it never becomes utilized. We don't know what we have in these three guys yet.

7willBheaven
10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
None of us will ever know why one player is used in a situation instead of another and so on. Unless they flat out state this or that is why. Simple as that. I do not care about stats and who gets more catches/etc...as long as we win...thats all that matters...dwelling over stuff like this accomplishes nothing.

Count Steeler
10-24-2010, 07:22 PM
For now, we have a good receiving corps. Some young some old. Hopefully the vets are teaching the younger ones and eventually one will emerge. Be it Sanders, Wallace or Brown or even some future draft pick/free agent. No need to panic just yet.

The D Line is a greater concern right now due to injuries.

Merchant
10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
That would be nearing retirement.

No, we don't. Who's going to be the go to receiver when Ward is gone? We don't KNOW who's going to be a legitimate, consistent, 1,000 yard, 70+ reception wide receiver for us when Ward is gone. All we have right now is men with potential (Wallace, Brown, Sanders). Potential isn't enough if it never becomes utilized. We don't know what we have in these three guys yet.

It's gonna be Sweed. Obviously.

fansince'76
10-24-2010, 07:30 PM

SWEEEEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Damn. I forgot about him.

ALLD
10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Damn. I forgot about him.

I got Nat King Cole in one ear and Natalie in the other.

tube517
10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Cut Wallace now! He is worthless. :sarcasm2:

oneforthetoe
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Don't feel alone dude,he is an asset to our team,but even Tomlin tried to get in his head. Tomlin called him "a one trick poney". He will get there sooner or later.I commend him for what he brings to our team. Always respect the speed man. Always!!!!!Not the prettiest win i have witnessed,but still a sweet victory.

I used to have a pony. He didn't do tricks though. Unless eating and sleeping are considered tricks?

As for Wallace, it is too early to judge him this season with Ben only back for his second game. He does put fear into the other teams however.

Steeldude
10-25-2010, 01:30 AM

you are

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/36/3632/J7VEF00Z.jpg

Galax Steeler
10-25-2010, 03:49 AM

Sanders is looking pretty good on the intermediate routes I know he hasn't played but two games but his getting some catches underneath.

Edman
10-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Wallace isn't a finished product. It's only his second year, you guys.

polamalubeast
10-25-2010, 01:45 PM
25 yards per catch is unbelievable

cold-hard-steel
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Sweed never showed an iota of what we have seen coming from Wallace. He can block though. Sweed has the numbers written on his days as a Steeler.I would bet the farm on that. Nothing but trade bait at this point. I'm sorry to go against the grain on this one,but his days in Black and Gold are more than likely coming to an end.

Psycho Ward 86
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Sanders is looking pretty good on the intermediate routes I know he hasn't played but two games but his getting some catches underneath.

Against nickel defenders, and 3 catches in two games is hardly the complete body of work I was talking about.

Galax Steeler
10-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Against nickel defenders, and 3 catches in two games is hardly the complete body of work I was talking about.

I agree with what you are saying. My point is he is an number 4 receiver at this point and all of his catches have been intermediate routes. I am just saying he could be the one that takes the place of Hines when he retires.

CanadianSteel
10-26-2010, 12:33 PM
After a couple fly patterns its obvious that corners back off and give Wallace a coushin. Not sure why we cannot then run a couple stop routes whereby he drives the guy deep and puts on the breaks 10-15 yards down. Or since He aint gonna get much bump covergae, just get him the ball 2-3 yards off the line and let him get an additional 8-10 yards.

Just like teams employ against oput corners when they dont press at the line and give big coushin.

steelpride12
10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Wallace in a bubble screen would be highly successful IMO with his speed and agility.

vasteeler
10-26-2010, 02:56 PM
considering this is only his second season, i am extremely happy with his progress. he is fast and has sure hands. with another year under his belt he will be famous

HollywoodSteel
10-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to screw up his yards per catch average with short passes. :chuckle:

zulater
10-26-2010, 04:18 PM
If Ben stays healthy you'll see a game or two in the next month where Wallace catches 5 or 6 balls. In case you didn't notice, the Steelers are still leaning heavily to the run. Besides Ward no one is racking up huge catch totals yet. Remember we played the majority of these past two games with the lead. Also thankfully Ben seems more prone to check down to running backs so far this year than in years past. Take what the defense gives you in. In fact on the pass to Mewelde Moore that set up the winning fg if you rewind the play you might notice that Wallace was open. Ben took the safer option ( higher percentage pass) and we're going to hold that against Wallace? Also this past game was a bit odd in the fact that the Steelers only ran 50 some offensive plays. Usually you're in the mid sixties on offensive plays.

Anyway long story short Wallace is doing what they're asking him to do. One of the things cited as a potential problem with Holmes leaving was that without Holmes, Ward would be double teamed right out of the game. Yet here he is getting open as often than ever, think those safeties don't worry about Wallace? Really?!

Psycho Ward 86
10-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Wallace in a bubble screen would be highly successful IMO with his speed and agility.

YES, smoke route would own shit up. The one screen pass Wallace caught didnt go anywhere only because the defenders were playing close to the LOS since we were in the endzone. I'm pleasantly surprised that Hines gets reasonable yardage on all of these screen passes he's been getting the last 2 years.