PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith

steel9guy
10-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey, haven't posted in a while but does anyone know what's up with Aaron Smith? I'm driving myself insane looking up triceps injury time on google and I can't find anything on rehibilation time.

fansince'76
10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Out for the season, from what I heard - Tomlin just said so in his post game presser.

kmsteelerwr15
10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Torn tricep, out for season

steelpride12
10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Yupp probably the biggest loss for our defense other than if we would lose Troy, Hood had to be the man now.

oneforthetoe
10-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Not sure yet. I would suggest looking at ESPN .com in the next day or two. That Bell women (I believe that is her name) gives a pretty good overview of injuries.

steel9guy
10-24-2010, 03:35 PM
You've gotta be freaken kidding me. Unbelievable. This sucks.

Steeltreal
10-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Might be his Career. 2 season ending injuries in past 3 seasons.

The Duke
10-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Is it safe to say that could have been his last snap with the team?

he's getting old, 2 years of IR, salary is kinda high, hood is next....

Psycho Ward 86
10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Eason and Ziggy....time to step it up BIG TIME.

oneforthetoe
10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
He didn't say he was definitely out for the season. Until he does, I hold out faint hope that he could be back for the playoffs.

steelpride12
10-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Man we saw what happened last season when we lost him, I hope Hood is ready to come up big!

Steeltreal
10-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I would rather taken a loss to the Phins over losing Smith

steel9guy
10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
I would rather taken a loss to the Phins over losing Smith

I agree. Were gonna be in trouble without him. 07, and 09 every time it's the same defense that falls.

BlastFurnace
10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh well. Back to 2007 and 2009

ALLD
10-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Casualty of the game. Turning into another Marvel Smith situation where you cannot get a full season of play from him.

Steeltreal
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
PLus the trade deadlines gone and theyre carrying a useless LB Thaddeus Gibson on the roster

Lambert_Loonie
Ziggy was brought in to take over for Smith (I'm pretty sure). time to step up, Zig.

X-Terminator
He didn't say he was definitely out for the season. Until he does, I hold out faint hope that he could be back for the playoffs.

A torn triceps is a season-ending injury. So it is not good news.

tube517
Aaron has been a warrior but he cannot play forever. Ziggy needs to be the man now. He's a #1 draft pick and he needs to start taking over.

stillers4me
10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
JasonLaCanfora (http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora) Jason La Canfora by JoeDepto

Steelers bracing for DE Aaron Smith to be out for the season with a torn triceps. Will get official word Mon but it doesn't look good

steeldevil
10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Ziggy better step it up. When will Brett be back?

Butch
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Woulda sucked more if we lost today, guess I'll count the blessings of getting the win and hope like Hell that we have someone step up their game and we don't miss a beat. Go Steelers!!!

oneforthetoe
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
A torn triceps is a season-ending injury. So it is not good news.

Are we sure it is torn? Just grasping for straws.

kmsteelerwr15
10-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Ziggy better step it up. When will Brett be back?

Hopefully next Sunday

The Duke
10-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Casualty of the game. Turning into another Marvel Smith situation where you cannot get a full season of play from him.

yep

too bad, one of the classiest players I've ever seen

solardave
Hopefully next Sunday

I think Ziggy is ready to carry the torch.

oneforthetoe
We played better last year than we did the first time Aaron went out. At least on the D'line we played better.

Where is old man Kirshkie right now?

X-Terminator
10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Are we sure it is torn? Just grasping for straws.

It came straight from Mike Tomlin's mouth during his post-game press conference. Torn triceps.

oneforthetoe
10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
It came straight from Mike Tomlin's mouth during his post-game press conference. Torn triceps.

I missed that. I thought I heard him say possible triceps injury. I was probably just hearing what I wanted to.

Merchant
10-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Woww... that sucks big time. Aaron was playing good football. Our run defense is going to take a step back.

Mach1
10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Smith apparently out for season
Sunday, October 24, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith, who missed 11 games in 2009 with a torn rotator cuff, left today's game with a torn left triceps, and it appeared his season was over.
Coach Mike Tomlin revealed the extent of the injury, which occurred early in the third quarter, and said, "it is not good."
Linebacker James Farrior, the defensive captain, called the injury to Smith "devastating."
"It's heartbreaking to see a guy worked so hard to get back and have an injury like this," Farrior said. "I know he's devastated, I'm devastated and I'm sure everybody else is. To see a guy come out and just do everything right and get himself back to where he needs to be and have something like this happen is definitely frustrating."
Smith, 34, saw his 2007 season end with a torn bicep muscle in his right arm late in the year. He returned to have a Pro Bowl season in 2008.

Read more:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10297/1097805-100.stm#ixzz13JcJQaNm

Texasteel
10-24-2010, 05:07 PM
And to this I can only say one thing. "SHIT"

Edman
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Tomlin said the cast changes but the standards don't. Even if Aaron didn't get hurt, he's wasn't going to be around much longer anyway.

Okay, Hood. It's on you kid.

LLT
10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Doug Worthington is still a Free Agent...and we have Woods on the PS...though I had thought they were going to groom him as a DT, he shows up as a DE on the roster.

cold-hard-steel
10-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I noticed when he left the Miami running game started to pick up some. This news sucks,but you know what is coming next........."the next guy in line will need to step in and take advantage of his opportunity". Maybe i will start a" Hood needs to make good" thread. I'll think about it.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Damn that sucks!!! Ziggy has to step up now and play like a 1st rounder.

zulater
10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Don't be shocked if Aaron doesn't have surgery and returns later in the year, albeit somewhat diminished. I don't see him coming back in 2011( particualry with a lockout looming) and i think he realizes this is a Super Bowl caliber team,so what's he saving himself for? . So I think there's a real possibility that they'll let Batch go, sign a DE, but keep the possibility of Aaron returning for the playoffs. Aaron Smith at 75% is better than nearly anyone else at 100%.

XxKnightxX
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
We gotta see the extent of the injury and how much damage to the triceps was done. This isnt good any way, I seriously think hes gonna get put on IR and his time in Pittsburgh is coming to an end. Hood is gonna take over and with Brett having a nagging Hammy I think we should sign worthington, McLendon or we should get Sunny Harris.

X-Terminator
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Don't be shocked if Aaron doesn't have surgery and returns later in the year, albeit somewhat diminished. I don't see him coming back in 2011( particualry with a lockout looming) and i think he realizes this is a Super Bowl caliber team,so what's he saving himself for? . So I think there's a real possibility that they'll let Batch go, sign a DE, but keep the possibility of Aaron returning for the playoffs. Aaron Smith at 75% is better than nearly anyone else at 100%.

Won't happen, because the chances of re-injury are pretty high with any kind of muscle tear if you come back too soon, and not only would it end his career, it could also affect him later in life. Best to just put him on IR for his sake and go with the guys we have.

Soufjerzz
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
We drafted Ziggy for this reason. Through out preseason and training camp Ziggy Hood was the best player on the field and in practice. Now its time for him to show was he can do when it counts. I dont think Aaron Smith's injury is going to hurt us as bad as it did in previous seasons.

st33lersguy
10-24-2010, 06:05 PM
His career is done

Steeltreal
10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Ziggys production through 6 games this season. Hold your laughter... 2 solo tackles

zulater
10-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Won't happen, because the chances of re-injury are pretty high with any kind of muscle tear if you come back too soon, and not only would it end his career, it could also affect him later in life. Best to just put him on IR for his sake and go with the guys we have.

I'm not saying I expect it to happen, I'm just saying at this point I wouldn't rule it out either. Aaron's a gamer, if the tear isn't complete enough healing could take place between now and December for him to come back and play effectively. Call it wishfull thinking, but I just think Aaron knows this is a special team and if there's a way he could come back to be a part of it for a final hurrah he just might.

VTsteel
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
If it's torn bad enough to need surgery - It will be a 6 month recovery.

BigNastyDefense
10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Well this sucks. Aaron Smith is the best 3-4 defensive end in football. He's a great player and he does his job.

Ziggy Hood, you were drafted because of the chance this could happen. You are a first round draft pick, time to come out and prove to all that you were worth the pick.

steeldevil
10-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Hopefully people will step up (Ziggy). Also hopefully with the temperature going down and not having to go anywhere where it is really hot we will not have to shuffle the DLine as much as we have.

Count Steeler
10-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Adversity comes no matter how hard we try to prevent it. Sorry to see Aaron go, and with his age, lockout etc, he may be career ending. Ziggy and whoever else needs to step in, now is your time to shine. Get your job done.

steelreserve
10-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I wonder if Old Man Kirschke is available for half a season? Last year when this happened, he was the only guy off the bench who was getting any kind of push. Eason was getting tossed around out there today. And while I like Hood, I'm not sure he's there yet. He gets pressure once in a while, but he does not strike me as the kind of consistent run stuffer we need at this point.

Either way, this sucks.

Count Steeler
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Maby Pouncey can be a 60 minute man. Worilds may have to beef up and quick.

JayC
10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
ziggy has a lot to prove. he's a vet now, time to step up and prove your worth

JayC
10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
the fact that Nick Eason started for Keisel shows me they aren't too satisfied with Ziggy's progression yet. I hope Keisel can play next week

steelpride12
10-24-2010, 08:38 PM
If Keisel and Woodley can play next week, that will be huge. I think if they don't play we won't be blitzing as much which we need to do against Bree's so he doesn't tear up our secondary. Hood will do good enough to hold his own.

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
If Keisel and Woodley can play next week, that will be huge. I think if they don't play we won't be blitzing as much which we need to do against Bree's so he doesn't tear up our secondary. Hood will do good enough to hold his own.

Woodley and Flozell are both supposed to be back next week.

Devilsdancefloor
10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
the fact that Nick Eason started for Keisel shows me they aren't too satisfied with Ziggy's progression yet. I hope Keisel can play next week

i think eason backs up keisel so he would naturally replace him if he got hurt. This sucks big time! He could have played his last down in Black and gold :(

steeldevil
10-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Anyone think we sign Travis Kirschke?

Chidi29
10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Anyone think we sign Travis Kirschke?

I'm not sure he's interested in playing. He did retire after all and might not be in good shape after finally calling it quits.

He had chronic back issues, too. No surprise at his age. Think he's 39, believe it or not.

Chidi29
10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Kiesel was out another two weeks, minimum.

Unless he pushes himself and comes back at 80%.

Chidi29
10-24-2010, 09:26 PM

Hood is trying to recover from an ankle sprain, for what it's worth.

steeldevil
10-24-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure he's interested in playing. He did retire after all and might not be in good shape after finally calling it quits.

He had chronic back issues, too. No surprise at his age. Think he's 39, believe it or not.

Did not know he was that old. Doubt he would want to come back..

tube517
10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
What about Sunny Harris? I don't see him on the Bills roster.

Not a lot of options out there.

86WARD
10-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Some of the worst news this team could hear. Definitely kills the defense. Most important player is gone...

Chidi29
10-24-2010, 09:39 PM
What about Sunny Harris? I don't see him on the Bills roster.

Not a lot of options out there.

Nope, pretty sure he was released.

I was disappointed to see him gone, but with how little interevt Harris has gotten, something is up with him.

McClendon will come up though he's mostly seen reps at NT. Woods and bringing Worthington back are possibilites, but I couldn't count on those guys too much. No experience playing a gritty position.

Chidi29
10-24-2010, 09:45 PM
The "best" name I could find in free agency is Jarvis Green.

zulater
10-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I would like to say several things.

Pray for a miracle!

Short of a miracle, I hope Aaron comes back next year, but I kinda doubt it, I think this might be the end of the road.

If it is, thank you for everything Aaron. The best 3-4 DE the Steelers have ever had. You set the bar high, hopefully
Ziggy is ready to follow in your footsteps.

But regardless of how good Ziggy eventualy becomes, there'll never be another Aaron Smith.

steelreserve
10-24-2010, 10:41 PM
First, Sunny Harris definitely got release last week, so he's available:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bills-sign-Chad-Rinehart-cut-Sunny-Harris.html

Kirschke is 36 years old, not 39. I don't know what he thinks, but I bet we at least give him a call. Playing a full season at that age and with his injury history might not have seemed too appealing, but if it's only half a season, maybe he changes his mind. He'd definitely be my first choice out of who's available.

One other thing: I've seen Hoke fill in at DE occasionally, such as 2008 when Kiesel was out for a few games. If nobody else can get it done, maybe we see more of him.

The Duke
10-24-2010, 11:47 PM
If it is, thank you for everything Aaron. The best 3-4 DE the Steelers have ever had. You set the bar high, hopefully
Ziggy is ready to follow in your footsteps.

man, he certainly did! I don't think I'm ever gonna like ziggy that much no matter how good he can be, cause he'll never be aaron smith good

oneforthetoe
10-25-2010, 12:02 AM

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bills-sign-Chad-Rinehart-cut-Sunny-Harris.html

Kirschke is 36 years old, not 39. I don't know what he thinks, but I bet we at least give him a call. Playing a full season at that age and with his injury history might not have seemed too appealing, but if it's only half a season, maybe he changes his mind. He'd definitely be my first choice out of who's available.

One other thing: I've seen Hoke fill in at DE occasionally, such as 2008 when Kiesel was out for a few games. If nobody else can get it done, maybe we see more of him.

I agree that Kirskie might be too out of shape.

I also agree that Aaron could have played his last snap or the Steelers.

On the other hand, Pat Williams of "Williams Wall" fame is 38 and looked pretty good tonight. So, it is not out of the question that Kirshkie could play, or that Aaron could come back next year.

Galax Steeler
10-25-2010, 03:45 AM
This is a huge lose for the team we have overcame thing like this in the past and we can do it again. Hood needs to get his game face on and get ready to play some football.

stillers4me
10-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Monday, October 25, 2010
By Ron Cook (http://www.post-gazette.com/search/archive.asp?cCat=87), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- It's hard to think the Steelers didn't lose more than they won here Sunday. They went home with a terrific 23-22 win against the Miami Dolphins and kept first place in the AFC North Division. But they lost star defensive end Aaron Smith for the game, almost certainly for the season and maybe forever because of a torn left triceps muscle.

"I don't want to see his career end," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "Not like this."

Smith, 34, in his 12th NFL season, was injured on the third play of the third quarter when he tackled Dolphins fullback Lousaka Polite for a 2-yard gain. His loss can't be overestimated to a Steelers' defense that has been mostly responsible for the team's 5-1 start. It won't be nearly as good without him. It just can't be..............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10298/1097872-87.stm#ixzz13MdyPBbv

LLT
10-25-2010, 05:25 AM
I'm optimistically hopeful that Ziggy steps it up. Very interested in finding out if Al Woods gets signed to the 53 man roster.

HometownGal
10-25-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm absolutely sick over this, as Aaron's teammates are, but as was said in the article, the young guns have to be ready to step in and step it up. I have no doubt Aaron will be right there in practice mentoring them from the sidelines. Like Hines said - I would absolutely hate to see Aaron's career end this way and I pray with all my might that he is able to fully recover from this injury and get back in there for at least one or two more seasons. :pray:

Aussie_steeler
10-25-2010, 05:32 AM
I would be guessing that McClendon gets the spot over Woods.

Might see a rotation with Chris Hoke possibly playing some DE if needed until Keisel is back on deck

LLT
10-25-2010, 05:40 AM
I'm optimistically hopeful that Ziggy steps it up. Very interested in finding out if Al Woods gets signed to the 53 man roster.

Was just looking at possibilities...Jarron Gilbert (who was mis-cast as a DT with the Bears) is on the Jets Practice Squad. he is a proto-typical NFL 3-4 DE.

I think Woods already knows our system so he would be the obvious choice...but there are some young players out there as options.

LLT
10-25-2010, 05:42 AM
I would be guessing that McClendon gets the spot over Woods.

Might see a rotation with Chris Hoke possibly playing some DE if needed until Keisel is back on deck

I have noticed that Hokie has been playing some DE....that is very interesting. You may be right.

venom
10-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Sure puts a damper to this win .

Texasteel
10-25-2010, 07:35 AM
I have noticed that Hokie has been playing some DE....that is very interesting. You may be right.

After last year, they have been half way preparing for this.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Was just looking at possibilities...Jarron Gilbert (who was mis-cast as a DT with the Bears) is on the Jets Practice Squad. he is a proto-typical NFL 3-4 DE.

I think Woods already knows our system so he would be the obvious choice...but there are some young players out there as options.

I like Woods. He stood out in games at LSU and its not a surprise that he was a 4th round pick. If he comes up, he is just gonna be depth anyways and Ziggy hasnt impressed that much in his 2nd year..............i'm a bit concerned with the state of our D line.

Vis
10-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Start the mock draft

MULLDOG24
10-25-2010, 10:02 AM

I like the idea of grabbing Jarron Gilbert as he was 1 of the guys I wanted in the draft in 2009. I also liked McClendon's play when he was activated early in the year so we have some options but hopefully Hood steps up though. Still, I would like to sign Gilbert as our Coach Mitchell could probably make a good D-lineman out of him.

MULLDOG24
10-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I wonder if our defensive alignment will change any? I mean if they will start lining up different like a 4 man front to compensate for Smith's absence to help stop the run better.

XxKnightxX
10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I like the idea of grabbing Jarron Gilbert as he was 1 of the guys I wanted in the draft in 2009. I also liked McClendon's play when he was activated early in the year so we have some options but hopefully Hood steps up though. Still, I would like to sign Gilbert as our Coach Mitchell could probably make a good D-lineman out of him.

I would be interested in gilbert as well, but I highly doubt that Rex Ryan is gonna let go of him, Unless theres a way we can sign players out of opposing practice squads into our active roster?

LLT
10-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I would be interested in gilbert as well, but I highly doubt that Rex Ryan is gonna let go of him, Unless theres a way we can sign players out of opposing practice squads into our active roster?

Any player on a PS can be signed to another teams active roster.

Again...even though I brought his name up...it would be unlikely that we would sign him to our 53 man roster since he has no experience with our playbook.

I would LOVE to have him on the team..just very unlikely we would do that before moving McClendon or Woods up.

MULLDOG24
10-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah your probably right LLT, can't waste a roster spot on someone who doesn't even know the playbook. I kinda didn't think about that, just like sitting at the dinner table and having your eyes get bigger than your stomach can handle!!:lol:

LLT
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah your probably right LLT, can't waste a roster spot on someone who doesn't even know the playbook. I kinda didn't think about that, just like sitting at the dinner table and having your eyes get bigger than your stomach can handle!!:lol:

Totally understand that!!!!!

GodfatherofSoul
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Ugh, just saw the Smith news. I feel sick. The defense looked visibly different after he went out. Hopefully Keisel will offset the dropoff. Maybe we can bring in Hoke on the other side.

steelpride12
10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
I think we will be OK. Ziggy Hood was drafted as our future on the DLine and Smith is not getting any younger. I would honestly be surprised if he didn't retire after this season and I think we need to start looking ahead at someone who can fill his role. I hope Hood is the long term solution and we will surely find out the rest of this season.

SteelMember
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Hate it for Smith. He will be missed. No doubt about it.

As the Tomlinism goes... "Starters in waiting". Time to step up.

steel striker
10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
This is really a big deal like everyone else mentioned he is such a great player and, we will have our hands full the rest of the season against the run. Hopefully Ziggy & Easton can fill in.

O'Malley
10-25-2010, 02:21 PM
I have faith the after last season losing Smith that this year there is a plan in effect for this. I have faith that a player will step up and fill the void. He is a huge loss, but that is football. Time for the next player to step up. Be it Hoke, Hood, Easton, Keisel, one of these guys is going to have to step up and take care of buisness.

stlrtruck
10-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Let the rotations begin. I'm willing to bet that the position, at least for now, becomes like a carousel.

Chidi29
10-25-2010, 03:59 PM

I don't see Woods, Worthington, or Gilbert helping out much.

It's obviously a very tough position to adjust to. Ziggy struggled quite a bit last year and said he's making big leaps his second time around. If a 1st rounder is going to struggle and have trouble seeing the field (Even with smith out last year), these guys are probably going to do the same.

Especially the players that are coming out as 4-3 DTs. I know Woods was one. Doug probably played a mix. I forget what Gilbert played at SJSU, but I know he was in a 4-3 system with Chicago.

cold-hard-steel
10-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Two nose tackles playin on the line at one time. Could begin a whole new trend.

Steeldude
10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
depends on what lebeau does. will he make the defense more passive now that smith is out? the steelers' defense is betters when it is attacking.

Chidi29
10-25-2010, 05:03 PM

I want to quickly clarify one thing.

I was actually agreeing that Harris was a FA. I should have said "Yup" instead of "Nope". My fault.

Ok, he's a little younger than what I thought, but Kirschke is still old, probably out of shape, and had back issues. I still don't see him coming back.

Hoke came in at DE for a few snaps against the Browns.

tube517
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Don't worry Chidi. We'll let you "slide" this time. :cool:

I want to quickly clarify one thing.

I was actually agreeing that Harris was a FA. I should have said "Yup" instead of "Nope". My fault.
Ok, he's a little younger than what I thought, but Kirschke is still old, probably out of shape, and had back issues. I still don't see him coming back.

Hoke came in at DE for a few snaps against the Browns.

oneforthetoe
10-26-2010, 12:33 AM
I like Woods. He stood out in games at LSU and its not a surprise that he was a 4th round pick. If he comes up, he is just gonna be depth anyways and Ziggy hasnt impressed that much in his 2nd year..............i'm a bit concerned with the state of our D line.

Woods does seem to have he build of the prototypical 3/4 DE. As you said, he will likely be depth this season. However, he could be future help at a position the Steelers are thin at - especially if Ziggy is not the real deal.

oneforthetoe
10-26-2010, 01:22 AM
Something is definitively up with Sonny Harris. He reminds me some of Jason Capizzi from a few seasons back. Every time Capizzi got cut a team, apparently thinking they saw something in him, would snatch him up at the first opportunity, only to release him as quickly as he was signed. The Steelers even brought him back. Now he is playing in the United Football League. I see the same pattern with Harris.

Another name out there is Scott Paxon. I always thought he was undersized and lacked the physical skills, but the Steelers did see something in him for a while. He knows the system a little and provides a little depth at NT as well as DE.

Craic
10-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Really is a shame we let John Kuhn go. I'm sure he could play the DE in either a 3-4 or 4-3.

oneforthetoe
10-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Really is a shame we let John Kuhn go. I'm sure he could play the DE in either a 3-4 or 4-3.

Actually, I've heard tale of John Kuhn playing all three positions on a 3-4 defensive line at the same time.:horn:

venom
10-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Smith may be back as per Tomlin

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5729422

zulater
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't know if i said this here or somewhere else. But I think Aaron isn't coming back in 2011, too many injuries in too short of time, and he just strikes me as a person that's smart enough to know when to hang 'em up. And because of that I wouldn't rule out his coming back for the playoffs this year. In other words if the doctors assure him that playing wont incure permanant damage and it will be mostly a pain management thing and if he heals suffeciently to play at a level that he can help the team he'll come back to help this team try to win the Super Bowl!

SteelTheOne
10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Its been a rotation all year. If they struggle its only because now The remaining old guys have to play more. Smith is very overrated at this point in his career.

oneforthetoe
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Its been a rotation all year. If they struggle its only because now The remaining old guys have to play more. Smith is very overrated at this point in his career.

I don't know what games you have been watching, but he was a very good season. As for being overrated, it is very hard to be overrated when the majority of moronic national sports media gurus probably don't even know your name.

Is SteelTheOne = Ziggy Hood's mother? :huh:

Just wondering. And SteelTheOne (if that is your real name, lol) welcome aboard.

zulater
10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
e:
Its been a rotation all year. If they struggle its only because now The remaining old guys have to play more. Smith is very overrated at this point in his career. :flame: Nice first post. :rolleyes:

Craic
10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't know if i said this here or somewhere else. But I think Aaron isn't coming back in 2011, too many injuries in too short of time, and he just strikes me as a person that's smart enough to know when to hang 'em up. And because of that I wouldn't rule out his coming back for the playoffs this year. In other words if the doctors assure him that playing wont incure permanant damage and it will be mostly a pain management thing and if he heals suffeciently to play at a level that he can help the team he'll come back to help this team try to win the Super Bowl!

Gotta agree with you. I think what we are seeing in Smith, is the equivalent of what we saw in Fast Willie- a good player whose bodies just seemed to give out on them. Thing is, Smith has a much longer time in this league. I do hope he can come back this year... maybe even take a backup role next year or the year after if Ziggy is able to step up to the plate. That way, he can extend his career a couple extra years without injury (since he wouldn't get abuse he's getting now) and we have a backup that is just as good, if not better than our starter.

tube517
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, tell that to Coach LeBeau, Tomlin and the rest of the defense. They know what he means to the team.

Chidi29
10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Woods does seem to have he build of the prototypical 3/4 DE. As you said, he will likely be depth this season. However, he could be future help at a position the Steelers are thin at - especially if Ziggy is not the real deal.

But he has no experience at the position.

It's a huge switch for a young guy and takes time. Ziggy has talked about the difficulty of making the adjustment. Young guys might add depth and another name on paper, but aren't going to be much of a factor out on the field.

SteelerFanInStl
10-26-2010, 03:50 PM

I think you meant to say underrated.

The Duke
10-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not entirely sure about this, but I am almost certain steeltheone is the one who at SF always complained about older guys still playing, i.e smith

always complained about their salaries and how hood as a first round pick should be starting in his second year

anyway, although if your opinion is completely wrong, welcome to SU. even if you signed up in may....

zulater
10-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Gotta agree with you. I think what we are seeing in Smith, is the equivalent of what we saw in Fast Willie- a good player whose bodies just seemed to give out on them. Thing is, Smith has a much longer time in this league. I do hope he can come back this year... maybe even take a backup role next year or the year after if Ziggy is able to step up to the plate. That way, he can extend his career a couple extra years without injury (since he wouldn't get abuse he's getting now) and we have a backup that is just as good, if not better than our starter.

I'm thinking it would be nice if Aaron went out on top, like if the Super Bowl was his last start.:yay3:

SteelTheOne
10-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Yes, I am the one from SF and i knew this would happen. You just can't play a whole line of 32 and ups and not expect this. Smith is a good player, no doubt. But far from irreplaceable at this stage in his career.

Look at it this way, we have played Hoke in place of Hampton and Eason in place of Keisel without any reduction in results. Hood has taken many snaps from Smith thru the first quarter of the season and again, no difference.

I do worry about losing bodies and not being able to rotate like we have been and that taking a big toll on the guys toward the end of the season.

ALLD
10-26-2010, 06:36 PM
They are hoping he can make one last push in the playoffs much like Ward made Super Bowl XLIII.

SteelTheOne
10-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I hope so too! Can't hurt...

Chidi29
10-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Not sure if it was talked about somewhere else, but we're not getting Gilbert. The Jets just called him up from their practice squad.

Maybe it's a coincidence, they did just release Howard Green, but maybe they had heard a couple teams showing interest...

steeldevil
10-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I think the fact that he is not on IR yet means that he wont be put on IR. Hope he is ready for the playoffs if we are keeping him on roster just for that purpose...

Chidi29
10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I think the fact that he is not on IR yet means that he wont be put on IR. Hope he is ready for the playoffs if we are keeping him on roster just for that purpose...

If we are starting to get hit with injuries down the road, and we likely will, there's a good chance we won't be able to wait it out. We're playing with a 52 man roster until he comes back.