PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked Wake makes his name in Miami

stillers4me
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 24, 2010

The origin of the name change is the result of a clerical error.

The player formerly known as Derek Wake had been working at a gym during an extended and unwanted leave from football. His name tag said "Cameron," his middle name. And when an agent later shopped him around to Canadian Football League teams, he pitched him as Cameron Wake.

One of the latest NFL rags-to-riches stories has gone by that name ever since. "I'm not doing so bad," he said with a chuckle. "So, there's no point in changing it."

The Miami Dolphins outside linebacker is doing so well that he has six sacks through five games. In just his second NFL campaign, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound Wake is an emerging star in a league that had no use for him coming out of Penn State.
Slowing Wake will be one of the main objectives for the Steelers today during a 1 p.m. game at Sun Life Stadium.

"He's powerful, has a good bull rush and he's got speed," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It's hard to believe guys like that get (passed) over, but they do. I think of (the Steelers' James Harrison) in the same light, and this kid reminds me a lot of him."........................

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705890.html