PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - where's your head at currently

Aussie_steeler
10-23-2010, 11:57 PM
As some of the regulars here would know, I have a tendancy to over analyse the draft process.
(As do a couple of other members).

With your help I would like to see where my current thought patterns sit in relation to yours.

My first consideration is the First round draft trends of the last few years. What might they be

2010 - Maurkice Pouncey OC Junior ( 21yrs)
2009 - Ziggy Hood DE Senior ( 22 yrs)
2008 - Rashard Mendenhall RB Junior ( 21 yrs)
2007 - Lawrence Timmons LB Junior ( 20 / 21 yrs)
2006 - Santonio Holmes WR Junior ( 21/22 yrs) .................... I could be out with the ages

The basic trends appear to be young players, who in most circumstances have left as juniors.

To me this suggests that Colbert likes to get young, physical specimens that the coaching staff can take their time with to mould into the steeler way.

Usually it takes 3 years to be a guaranteed starter and most are nearing the end of their first contract. The value to resign is usually not astronomical.

The second observation seems to be an alternation between offensive and defensive players. ( if I add in Heath Miller for 2005 then it destroys this observation)

The third observation is that the steelers usually sit and wait for their player to land in their lap.

My other casual observation is that the steelers usually like to draft to fill a hole that is going to appear in approximately 2 - 3 years in the starting lineup. To coincide with the expiry of a starters (who is over 30) contract.

This is how I am currently thinking (out loud for you)

I am currently leaning towards the 2011 first round draft pick being either a

1. DE ( to cover the retirement of Aaron Smith)
2. CB ( to cover the possible loss of Ike Taylor)
3. NT ( to cover the loss of Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke to retirement)
4. OT ( to cover the possible loss of Willie Colon and the extreme lack of depth)
5. ILB ( to cover the loss of James Farrior and possibly Keyaron Fox)

The juniors on my watchlist therefore are:

1. Defensive End
a. Marcell Dareus ( no chance)
b. JJ Watt
c. Jared Crick

2. Corner Back
a. Patrick Peterson ( no chance)
b. Aaron Williams
c. Brandon Harris

3. Nose Tackle
a. No Idea?????

4. Offensive Tackle / Offensive Guard
a. Matt Reynolds ( little bit older due to mormon mission - that might rule him out)
b. Nate Potter

5. Middle Linebacker
a. Martez Wilson
b. Courtney Upshaw

In order I would have to go

1. CB Patrick Peterson ( not realistic. A shutdown corner – I can dream cant I)
2. DE Marcel Dareus ( not realistic – but he would be an awesome fit)
3. CB Aaron Williams ( now we can probably begin to hold some hope)
4. DE JJ Watt -- could he be the next Aaron Smith or is he just Adam Carriker???
5. OT Matt Reynolds -- been pimpin him for a while but how old is he???

What are you thinking????

Texasteel
10-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Smith is down for the year again, that make DE my #1 priority. I'll get back to you.

ALLD
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Maybe we pick up somebody in FA to cover the DE.

The Duke
10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
1. DE ( to cover the retirement of Aaron Smith)

you're right with that one. Hopefully ziggy can cover that one and let us draft someone else

if not Im jumping in the Ballard bandwagon

Texasteel
10-24-2010, 04:58 PM
you're right with that one. Hopefully ziggy can cover that one and let us draft someone else

if not Im jumping in the Ballard bandwagon

You think I may finally get a Hawkeye here?:tt03:

Aussie_steeler
10-25-2010, 02:48 AM
I would love to see a trade up for Dareus. ( but I dont think we will have enough trade ammo to get that high)

Otherwise we are looking at Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt or Christian Ballard.

LLT
10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I have been meaning to jump in on this conversation.

I would rate DE as our #1 priority especially after the Smith injury. Even with full recovery Aaron only has so much gas left in the tank.

I like Clayborn and Heyward but we have little chance to get them...that leaves Cameron Jordan and Christian Ballard as potential late 1st round picks.

2nd priority would be a OT and I think that we need to look at possibly picking up two by grabbing one in the later rounds.

In a perfect world...Potter would drop into our laps...if not we might look at Marcus Cannon or Jason Pinkston.

3rd would be a CB

Rashad Carmichael will probably rise up boards but as of now he is a late 3rd rounder. Cortez Allen is intriguing as a 6'2 corner with good speed.

4th would be a TE

The only TE that I am really interested in is Lee Smith from Marshall who has good hands and is a better than average blocker.

5th-7th would spend on small school and sleeper projects at needed positions.

I like CB Justin Rogers of Richmond and CB Ryan Jones of Northwest Missouri State...O-lineman Pat Illig from Wofford and O-lineman Adam Grant of Arizona ...NT Anthony Gray of Southern Miss and NT Chris Neild of West virginia

Texasteel
10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I have been meaning to jump in on this conversation.

I would rate DE as our #1 priority especially after the Smith injury. Even with full recovery Aaron only has so much gas left in the tank.

I like Clayborn and Heyward but we have little chance to get them...that leaves Cameron Jordan and Christian Ballard as potential late 1st round picks.

2nd priority would be a OT and I think that we need to look at possibly picking up two by grabbing one in the later rounds.

In a perfect world...Potter would drop into our laps...if not we might look at Marcus Cannon or Jason Pinkston.

3rd would be a CB

Rashad Carmichael will probably rise up boards but as of now he is a late 3rd rounder. Cortez Allen is intriguing as a 6'2 corner with good speed.

4th would be a TE

The only TE that I am really interested in is Lee Smith from Marshall who has good hands and is a better than average blocker.

5th-7th would spend on small school and sleeper projects at needed positions.

I like CB Justin Rogers of Richmond and CB Ryan Jones of Northwest Missouri State...O-lineman Pat Illig from Wofford and O-lineman Adam Grant of Arizona ...NT Anthony Gray of Southern Miss and NT Chris Neild of West virginia

I am changing from OT to DE in the 1st as well. Jordan and Ballard are my two top choices, but not sure Jordan will last that late. That leaves Ballard.

I don't like our chances of a OT in the 2nd. Cannon is a legitimate pick, but I still think he may end up inside.Gabe Carimi has the look of a slider to me but would he make it that deep into the 2nd, and I can't see Pinkston lasting that long either. Our biggest hope would be if Potter and Reynolds both come out this year. even if they don't make it to us they might push someone else down. We might think about going CB here, and looking at someone like James Brewer in the 3rd.

If we end up with Lee Smith you and I will have to meet someplace between us for dinner. This is the kid we both have been pushing for months.

Of course if a couple of the top Jr. DEs declare we will have to start all over.
Keep an eye on Nick Fairley of Aubern.

By the way Aussie, I have not been able to find anything on Reynolds age, but I wouldn't think he is any older than a 5th year Sr.

Merchant
10-27-2010, 11:02 PM
...Do you guys realize we drafted a DE in the first round in 2009?? Be patient with Ziggy, I have a feeling he's going to turn out just fine. As for Corner, I think we may have something in Lewis and Butler. I'm a fan of Sylvester, I watched him play a lot at Utah and I think if he bulks up a little I think he has a chance at being the heir to James Farrior. With all that being said, I think we go O-Line or Nose Tackle in the first round.

Aussie_steeler
10-28-2010, 05:54 AM
...Do you guys realize we drafted a DE in the first round in 2009?? Be patient with Ziggy, I have a feeling he's going to turn out just fine. As for Corner, I think we may have something in Lewis and Butler. I'm a fan of Sylvester, I watched him play a lot at Utah and I think if he bulks up a little I think he has a chance at being the heir to James Farrior. With all that being said, I think we go O-Line or Nose Tackle in the first round.

Not counting the two guys on the practice squad Ziggy is the only D lineman on the side of 30 that suggests he may be on the team in 5-6 years.

In 2 years time the D line will not have Aaron Smith on it, and may not having Brett Keisel. As a young DE will need more than 2 years to be 100% ready that is why I am advocating a partner in crime for Ziggy down the road.

I might go out on a limb here and suggest that Ziggy could possibly end up as a NT candidate as he gets older, bigger and stronger. At 6'3 and looking like he is over 310lbs now I can see him being a presence in the middle (given time). I kinda believe that McClendon is not really a NT candidate but more of a future DE 6'4 280 - 290.

The steelers like tall DE's (around 6'5) and I think they will be looking for at least one tall guy to groom for a DE spot this draft.

The one thing I noticed watching the Miami game was the immediate pressure Legursky was put under once Flozell left the game. Whilst Flo has been playing Legursky has been protected somewhat by the guys either side of him and more than held his own. To me this suggests that a quality RT is of more importance than a quality RG. ( Willie Colon made Darnell Stapleton and Trai Essex look much better)

At this point in time I am prioritising

1. DE
2. RT ( definite areas of need)

For development I would then like to see
3. CB ( if Ike goes) or FS ( if Ike stays) Ryan Clark is beginning to look slow
4. NT
5. OG

I am hoping that more than one Practice squad player can step up next year and make the 53 playing squad. Who knows it may be a 56 squad depending on the new CBA. If I could dream I would like to see Cromatie-Smith step up and put pressure on Ryan Mundy at FS and both McClendon and Al Woods develop.

Tex - I heard a podcast this week that suggested that Christian Ballard has not been showing up every down and some are questioning his work rate. Whats your take on this view? ( i havent seen any footage of him)

Texasteel
10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Tex - I heard a podcast this week that suggested that Christian Ballard has not been showing up every down and some are questioning his work rate. Whats your take on this view? ( i havent seen any footage of him)

I may not be the best one to ask, but I haven't noticed him taking plays off, and I would not question his work ethics either. Sure, he has his bad play like everyone else, Clayborn has not had the year he did last year either, not to date anyway. He has quite a bit to learn once he gets into the pros, like most every rookie, but I am not afraid to draft him, most likely in the 1st round.

Keep in mind that he is getting more attention this year than last year. I for one am glad to see that, I think it will make him grow faster.

However, there is still a lot of football to watch, and we don't know which underclassmen with enter the draft. Stay Tuned.

By the way, I would love to see your boy Reynolds enter the draft. I think he would make one hell of a RT, not sure about LT yet. I think if he came out this year we might be able to get him with that 2nd round pick.

Next years OT class looks very thin, and very weak to me right now.

Chidi29
10-31-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm really not crazy about drafting 3-4 ends early in the draft. I was unhappy when we drafted Ziggy. A lot of these guys are coming out of 4-3 schemes or ones where they do as much pass rushing than they do run clogging that the three technique is asked to do. We've taken guys like Smith and Keisel later in the draft, and I'd rather try to wait than take one early.

I think Colon will come back strong next year and we should be able to get him relatively cheaply after the injury. Left tackle becomes a little more interesting with Starks' contract winding down. I think it expires at the end of next year. In the past, I wouldn't think about us taking a tackle because of the money invested in Max but it could be a different story now or next year.

Don't really see the need for a cornerback either unless we don't end up re-signing Ike. And even then, we can manage with McFadden and Gay as the starting corners if Lewis and/or Butler show improvement. In this passive zone scheme, if you're willing to play the run and be a consistent tackler, you can be a cornerback for us. We've only drafted two cornerbacks in the first round since 1979; I don't see it being a number one priority.

Maybe this season, I'll back off the NT talk for the first round at least with Hampton locked up and looking fine. I really like Kenrick Ellis and if we could get him in the second round, I'd be elated. I'd be happy with Jerrell Powe or even Anthony Gray in the later rounds. There are a couple of really promising nose tackles out there, really a deep class. Too bad Ian Williams hurt his MCL.

I wanted to take Dez Bryant this season even over Pouncey when they both fell to us. I'd love to grab a big-time WR. Hines isn't going to be around much longer and if you want to maintain a strong passing offense, you need multiple weapons. Wallace still needs to improve his game quite a bit to be a well-rounded threat. His speed is unmatched, but his route running and ability to use the full route tree is an issue. I'm not too keen on the WR class but a guy like Hankerson or Paul would be a huge addition.

st33lersguy
11-03-2010, 07:35 PM
franchise nose tackle

LLT
11-16-2010, 06:31 AM
With the rash of injuries...the lack of depth at specific positions...and the lack of productivity at other positions...i think that this is a good point in the season to reevaluate where our head is in regards to the next draft.

Here is a quick hit as to how I am thinking right now.

1) OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin, Height: 6-7 Weight: 322
I have always been a bit wary of tall OT's due to their inabiloity to bend at the knees..I have watched 3 Wisconsin games and can safely say that Carinmi does NOT have that problem. He appears to be a strong and agile and should be available at the end of the first round.

2) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech, Height: 5-10 Weight: 182
Speedy CB with exceptional hands...A lot of draft boards have him as a late 3rd rounder which is silly. He should be climbing draft boards as more draftniks stumble upon him. he had 6 INT's last year and has 4 so far this year with a combined 158 tackles over that time period. Good in run support and will NOT be out ran with his 4.38 speed.

3) DE Cedric Thornton Southern Arkansas, Height: 6-4 Weight: 295
OH I love me some sleeper picks!!!! Thornton had 23 tackles for loss last year with 8.5 sacks..This year he has already added 13 more TFL's and 2 sacks, even though he missed two games due to injury. I know he plays at a small school...but so did Aaron Smith!

4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh, Height: 6-4 Weight: 305
Another player that will climb boards as scouts start watching tapes. Throwback player who LOVES contact...add the fact that he is a strong technician...solid work ethic...and farm-boy strong...and you have the makings of a very good NFL prospect.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall, Height: 6-6 Weight: 267
Tex and I have talked about this guy before...and now he has had tow HUGE games in a row. Best blocking TE in this draft and surpricingly good hands. Great player to compliment Miller and makes Spaeth expendable.

6) Kicker Alex Henery, Nebraska, Height: 6-2 Weight: 175
Got to look at bringing in a kicker if Skippy is on his way out of town. The Steelers might bring in a spare tire until the end of th season but we need to look long term in the next draft. Henery is 13 for 14 with a 92.9% completion rate. He is a perfect 45 of 45 for extra points and has score 84 points for the cornhuskers. He is 7-8 in the 40 + yard range and has made three fieldgoals of 50+ yards. His only miss this year was from 51 yards and technically didnt "miss" since a blocker missed their assignment and the field goal was blocked. He also can punt and averages 41.6 yards a punt this year.

7) OG Pat Illig, Wofford, Height 6-5 Weight 320
Their are small school prospects..and then their small-small school prospects, but don't be fooled into thinking that Illig should be overlooked. Virtually every NFL team has sent a representative to scout out this player. I have said it a million times, the 7th round is for small school prospects or players that missed a portion of their senior year due to injury.

Texasteel
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
With the rash of injuries...the lack of depth at specific positions...and the lack of productivity at other positions...i think that this is a good point in the season to reevaluate where our head is in regards to the next draft.

Here is a quick hit as to how I am thinking right now.

I have always been a bit wary of tall OT's due to their inabiloity to bend at the knees..I have watched 3 Wisconsin games and can safely say that Carinmi does NOT have that problem. He appears to be a strong and agile and should be available at the end of the first round.

Speedy CB with exceptional hands...A lot of draft boards have him as a late 3rd rounder which is silly. He should be climbing draft boards as more draftniks stumble upon him. he had 6 INT's last year and has 4 so far this year with a combined 158 tackles over that time period. Good in run support and will NOT be out ran with his 4.38 speed.

OH I love me some sleeper picks!!!! Thornton had 23 tackles for loss last year with 8.5 sacks..This year he has already added 13 more TFL's and 2 sacks, even though he missed two games due to injury. I know he plays at a small school...but so did Aaron Smith!

Another player that will climb boards as scouts start watching tapes. Throwback player who LOVES contact...add the fact that he is a strong technician...solid work ethic...and farm-boy strong...and you have the makings of a very good NFL prospect.

Tex and I have talked about this guy before...and now he has had tow HUGE games in a row. Best blocking TE in this draft and surpricingly good hands. Great player to compliment Miller and makes Spaeth expendable.

Got to look at bringing in a kicker if Skippy is on his way out of town. The Steelers might bring in a spare tire until the end of th season but we need to look long term in the next draft. Henery is 13 for 14 with a 92.9% completion rate. He is a perfect 45 of 45 for extra points and has score 84 points for the cornhuskers. He is 7-8 in the 40 + yard range and has made three fieldgoals of 50+ yards. His only miss this year was from 51 yards and technically didnt "miss" since a blocker missed their assignment and the field goal was blocked. He also can punt and averages 41.6 yards a punt this year.

Their are small school prospects..and then their small-small school prospects, but don't be fooled into thinking that Illig should be overlooked. Virtually every NFL team has sent a representative to scout out this player. I have said it a million times, the 7th round is for small school prospects or players that missed a portion of their senior year due to injury.

Man Perry, this is spookie. You have at 4 and 6 two kids that I have been looking at really, really hard the last 3 weeks.

Most have Rackley as an OG, but I'm not conviced he couldn't play RT. I am hoping he can stay a secret, but not likely to happen.

LLT
11-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Man Perry, this is spookie. You have at 4 and 6 two kids that I have been looking at really, really hard the last 3 weeks.

Most have Rackley as an OG, but I'm not conviced he couldn't play RT. I am hoping he can stay a secret, but not likely to happen.

I had Brewer at #4...but he can't stay healthy. I think Rackley can indeed play guard or tackle..and I love that versatility.

Carimi is REALLY growing on me...there is nothing about his game that I dont like and I think he would be there for us at the end of the 1st round. If we could get Carimi and Rackley I would be very happy. If Illig is there at the end of the 7th round, I would do a back flip.

Texasteel
11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I had Brewer at #4...but he can't stay healthy. I think Rackley can indeed play guard or tackle..and I love that versatility.

Carimi is REALLY growing on me...there is nothing about his game that I dont like and I think he would be there for us at the end of the 1st round. If we could get Carimi and Rackley I would be very happy. If Illig is there at the end of the 7th round, I would do a back flip.

Yes and you throw in Carmichael, who you know is one of my favorites, and Thornton, who I think is under rated right now, and this could end up one hell of a draft.

Thats not even counting Smith, and a very good kicker.

Aussie_steeler
11-17-2010, 04:53 AM
At the moment I am thinking along the lines of:

Round 1 - Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6'6 320
Initially a RT that in time can transition to LT

Round 2 - Duenta Williams FS NC 6'1 215
Ryan Clark is being exposed frequently for his lack of range and ball hawking. Ryan Mundy is no heir apparent. I think FS is a major weakness on the current roster. The last time a safety was taken this high it was a bonehead who was more suited to SS. Time to get a true FS with talent.

Round 3 - Christian Ballard DE Iowa 6'5 290
DE is a huge need. I just cant see that many 3-4 DE's going in the first two rounds. There is so much D line talent that I think some guys fall. Ballard is that man.

Round 4 - Justin Boren OG OSU 6'3 320
The interior of the O line is in need of some competition. Our 4th round picks are not guaranteed of sticking on the roster anymore. Time to load up with O line talent

Round 5 - Lee Ziemba OT / OG Auburn 6'6' 320
Lets keep bringing in some bodies to compete on the O line. If Trai Essex, Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky can stick and then start it shows how much the steelers value position flexibility. I can see players who have similar position flexibility getting a draft hat next year. Ziemba is a bigger version combo lineman.

Round 6 - Kai Forbath K UCLA 5'11 192
Somewhere at #6 or #7 a kicker is going to be brought in for a test run. I know he hasnt kicked a ball or a towel dispenser yet but I dont think Sushiman is the long term answer for the steelers

Round 7 - Greg McElroy QB Alabama 6'2 225
I have no idea this late in the draft. My sleeper radar is not working this year. ( for the first time in a long while i have not seen any college ball)
I'll take a punt that the steelers grab a QB who has played in a good program who falls because he doesnt have great measurables.

I know it is not a flashy mock by I think this is the year to go big and bring some bodies in who are eager. There will be no better time for a young lineman to possibly score a roster spot.

Texasteel
11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
At the moment I am thinking along the lines of:

Round 1 - Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6'6 320
Initially a RT that in time can transition to LT

Round 2 - Duenta Williams FS NC 6'1 215
Ryan Clark is being exposed frequently for his lack of range and ball hawking. Ryan Mundy is no heir apparent. I think FS is a major weakness on the current roster. The last time a safety was taken this high it was a bonehead who was more suited to SS. Time to get a true FS with talent.

Round 3 - Christian Ballard DE Iowa 6'5 290
DE is a huge need. I just cant see that many 3-4 DE's going in the first two rounds. There is so much D line talent that I think some guys fall. Ballard is that man.

Round 4 - Justin Boren OG OSU 6'3 320
The interior of the O line is in need of some competition. Our 4th round picks are not guaranteed of sticking on the roster anymore. Time to load up with O line talent

Round 5 - Lee Ziemba OT / OG Auburn 6'6' 320
Lets keep bringing in some bodies to compete on the O line. If Trai Essex, Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky can stick and then start it shows how much the steelers value position flexibility. I can see players who have similar position flexibility getting a draft hat next year. Ziemba is a bigger version combo lineman.

Round 6 - Kai Forbath K UCLA 5'11 192
Somewhere at #6 or #7 a kicker is going to be brought in for a test run. I know he hasnt kicked a ball or a towel dispenser yet but I dont think Sushiman is the long term answer for the steelers

Round 7 - Greg McElroy QB Alabama 6'2 225
I have no idea this late in the draft. My sleeper radar is not working this year. ( for the first time in a long while i have not seen any college ball)
I'll take a punt that the steelers grab a QB who has played in a good program who falls because he doesnt have great measurables.

I know it is not a flashy mock by I think this is the year to go big and bring some bodies in who are eager. There will be no better time for a young lineman to possibly score a roster spot.

I like Reynolds quite a bit and if he comes out this year would like seeing him on our line

I kinda like Jaiquawn Jarrett at FS, but Williams is a little bigger and half a tick faster. Would be a good player for us.

Don't know if Ballard slides that far in the 3rd, but if he does would be a great 3rd round pick for us.

The rest are all solid picks, and are just about where they should land. If Forbath is gone you might take a look at Alex Henery of Neb.

Flashy or not I like your picks, but you know how I love the big uglies.

Good work Aussie.

Chidi29
11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with Camiri too and am surprised that guys like Costanzo seem to be getting more love than him.

I only watched him for the first time last week, but I saw where the comments about Ballard taking plays off comes from. If the play wasn't running to his side, he didn't bother pursuing. There was a run off tackle to the left, opposite of Ballard, and he quit on the play the second the back took off to the left. For all he knows, the back is going to try and cut it back and he won't have backside contain.

43Hitman
11-17-2010, 09:44 PM
You think I may finally get a Hawkeye here?:tt03:

From your lips to God's ears.

Aussie_steeler
11-18-2010, 02:01 AM
I kinda like Jaiquawn Jarrett at FS, but Williams is a little bigger and half a tick faster. Would be a good player for us.

In the new Goodell era of no hitting in the secondary I think a FS in the mold of Ryan Clark may begin to become a liability. The game may transition towards a pure ball hawking FS that wraps up on tackles. It is going to be hard for hitters like Clark to tone down their natural instincts.

I am guessing that a cover guy with good range could be on the menu this year. This would allow Troy a little more freedom to bite on a few more plays.

Texasteel
11-18-2010, 07:06 AM
In the new Goodell era of no hitting in the secondary I think a FS in the mold of Ryan Clark may begin to become a liability. The game may transition towards a pure ball hawking FS that wraps up on tackles. It is going to be hard for hitters like Clark to tone down their natural instincts.

I am guessing that a cover guy with good range could be on the menu this year. This would allow Troy a little more freedom to bite on a few more plays.

Thats a good point Aussie, guess its going to take me a while to get use to Goodell ball.
Plus,,,,,,,,,,,, You know darn well I haven't been please with our coverage of late.

As far as DE is concerned, have you had a chance to see Thornton, I was trying to keep an eye on him, and LLT brought him up earlier, I was also watching Taylor out of Olka. but it sounds like his injury will set him back for a while.

steelerdude15
11-18-2010, 10:25 PM
I think we should go for the best left tackle in the draft and move Kemo to right guard because thats his natural position.

oneforthetoe
11-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Well, most will say LT of CB probably. And we do need to address those positions, but let us not forget the d'line. In Lebeau's system (and even if he were to retire I would doubt is we would make drastic changes immediately) you have to have players who can "win" on the d'line, if they are singly blocked. Casey is having a great year, but we must find his eventual replacement. Eason has played pretty well, but he is an effective, but not spectacular stop gap measure at best. I am still not sold on Ziggy. He has played ok for his first opportunity to play. However, I am not convinced that he will ever be able to get the consistent "push" necessary to excel at DE in a 3-4. I still see him hand fighting more than he should. Hand fighting doesn't help our linebackers get to the QB.

LLT
11-20-2010, 09:22 AM
For what it's worth, I've been very impressed with Camiri too and am surprised that guys like Costanzo seem to be getting more love than him.

I only watched him for the first time last week, but I saw where the comments about Ballard taking plays off comes from. If the play wasn't running to his side, he didn't bother pursuing. There was a run off tackle to the left, opposite of Ballard, and he quit on the play the second the back took off to the left. For all he knows, the back is going to try and cut it back and he won't have backside contain.

Of course...you know that since we are all becoming enamored with Carimi.....he will end up going early in the draft and we will get no shot at him!!!!

LLT
11-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Well, most will say LT of CB probably. And we do need to address those positions, but let us not forget the d'line. In Lebeau's system (and even if he were to retire I would doubt is we would make drastic changes immediately) you have to have players who can "win" on the d'line, if they are singly blocked. Casey is having a great year, but we must find his eventual replacement. Eason has played pretty well, but he is an effective, but not spectacular stop gap measure at best. I am still not sold on Ziggy. He has played ok for his first opportunity to play. However, I am not convinced that he will ever be able to get the consistent "push" necessary to excel at DE in a 3-4. I still see him hand fighting more than he should. Hand fighting doesn't help our linebackers get to the QB.

You are right on the money. Unfortunately with having some holes at LT and CB...it pushes the need for a DE back a couple of rounds. You almost have to grab LT and CB first...because history has shown that we can get a pretty good DE in the 3rd-5th rounds. Whereas, outside of the first two rounds, LT and CB propects are a crapshoot. NT's on the other hand are rare...but I dont think we will grab one THIS year. The new contract with Casey and the more than adequate Hoke allow us to wait a year.

Here are some 3-4 DE prospects that are ranked in the 3rd to 5th rounds this year.

Christian Ballard of Iowa Height: 6-5. Weight: 285.
Its my guess that Ballard will fall to the 3rd round...he is his own worst enemy right now by showing a lack of effort on some plays. Seems to give up before the whistle is blown. The right coach might light a fire under his ass and make him play up to his potential.

Jarvis Jenkins of Clemson Height: 6-4. Weight: 313
Might go higher than the 3rd round but if not he would be an interesting pickup. Much quicker and more athletic than you would think a man his size would be.

Sione Fua of Stanford Height: 6-2 Weight: 306
I love Fua...Most draftniks project him as a NT/DT but after watching him, I think that he has the skill set to play 3-4 DE. Though a little shorter than I prefer my DE's...With his versatility of being able to pay NT, he woud be a win/win gamble in the third round.

Ian Williams of Notre Dame Height: 6-2 Weight: 305
The draft is all about value. Williams hurt his knee and is out the reminder of the season. We could draft him in the 4th-5th round and everything that I said about Fua...applies to Williams.

Cedric Thornton of Southern Arkansas Height: 6-4 Weight: 295
I have previously broke down Cedric Thorntons stats and abilities....yes he is from a small school but he has perfect 3-4 DE size and lets not forget about another player that I pimped in '08...Kendall Langford of Hampton. He is now a starting DE for Miam and has 29 tackles 3 sacks and 4 tackles for loss this season. They have similar size and similar stats.

Pernell McPhee of Mississippi State Height: 6-3 Weight: 285
Personally I believe he needs to add about 15 lbs of muscle...sometimes seems as if he cant fight through the block.

Karl Klug of Iowa Height: 6-3 Weight: 270
Will either drop 10 lbs and play LB...or gain weight to be a DE/DT. Klug isnt mentioned much when people talk about Iowa, but he is a very capable player. I think his best position would be a either a 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE at about 290 lbs.

Not Interested:

Mike Blanc of Auburn Height: 6-4. Weight: 288.
Missed games due to suspension for cheap shots.

Lazarius Levingston of LSU Height: 6-3 Weight: 280
Cant stay healthy.

Greg Romeus of Pittsburgh Height: 6-5 Weight: 270
I have marked him completey off my board....he just had back surgery, which raises SERIOUS red flags with me

Texasteel
11-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Karl Klug of Iowa Height: 6-3 Weight: 270
Will either drop 10 lbs and play LB...or gain weight to be a DE/DT. Klug isnt mentioned much when people talk about Iowa, but he is a very capable player. I think his best position would be a either a 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE at about 290 lbs.

I was wondering when someone would bring his name up. I didn't want to be the one, homer you know.

Karl has been having a very good year, and has raised his stock a great deal. He may have been the most consistant DL so far. I see him as more of a OLB convertion kit, but he does look to have to room to build himself up to DE size. I think we could get him fairly cheap as well.

I also agree that Ballard has screwed himself, and probably fallen into the 3rd round.

LLT have you had a chance to look at the underclassman Daniels.

Chidi29
11-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Romeus also tore his ACL. If draft stock was a game of Chutes and Ladders, Romeus would be in last place.

LLT
11-21-2010, 09:31 AM
LLT have you had a chance to look at the underclassman Daniels.

If Daniels wants to maximize his draft potential...he needs to put on about 20 -30 lbs. That being said... he is a fireplug who seems to give an extreme effort on each play.

If he was above 300 lbs....I would have him VERY high on my 2012 NT wish list

LLT
11-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Romeus also tore his ACL. If draft stock was a game of Chutes and Ladders, Romeus would be in last place.

That sucks for him....The ACL would make teams raise an eyebrow... but plenty of players come back from that. The back surgery pretty much ended any profesional aspirations Romeus had.

st33lersguy
11-21-2010, 10:47 AM
This should be the draft plan load up on defensive linemen and defensive backs and draft a guard

LLT
11-21-2010, 10:51 AM
This should be the draft plan load up on defensive linemen and defensive backs and draft a guard

We HAVE to get a LT....its gotta be #1 priority.

I agree that we need a OG but that is going to have to wait. LT is the second most important position on the field and we have ignored it way too long.

Chidi29
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm getting sick to my stomach watching this revolving door at RG.

Texasteel
11-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm getting sick to my stomach watching this revolving door at RG.

I know how you feel Chidi. I've been screaming my head off for years about out OT situation. I really think that we can get a good RT probably future LT, and a good RG in this years draft. There seems to be a lot of Tackles the will be Guard in the pros. Then again, you never really know till they get here.

LLT
11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I know how you feel Chidi. I've been screaming my head off for years about out OT situation. I really think that we can get a good RT probably future LT, and a good RG in this years draft. There seems to be a lot of Tackles the will be Guard in the pros. Then again, you never really know till they get here.

The OT/OG situation has got to be taken care of. Here are some possibilites in the first three rounds.

1st Round
I would love to get OT Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin, he is by far my favorite OT in this upcoming draft ,even though he isnt ranked in the top 3 on most draft boards. He may still be available towards the end of round one.

Believe it or not...the probablity of OG Mike Pouncey being available to us at the end of the first round is very realistic.

2nd Round
OT Danny Watkins of Baylor has had like 121 knockdown blocks in his first 10 games this year. He is currently ranked as a late 2nd rounder but to be honest...I think he has first round talent.

OG Benjamin Ijalana of Villanova is a very good pass blocker and run blocker. He might rise up boards but OG's are rarely high priority players and there is usually good value in the 2nd-5th rounds.

3rd round
James Carpenter of Alabama is a high-effort, very athletic OT. He has a slight hitch in his kickslide that will keep him out of the first two rounds but not only do I think its fixable, but I think he is more suited for the left side than Max Starks.

OG Will Rackley of Lehigh is ranked as low as a 6th rounder on some sites....dont believe it. If we can get him ANYWHERE after the 2nd round...we got a him at a value.

Texasteel
11-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Right at this moment my positional draft would be

1- OT
2- CB
3- DE
4- OG

Of course a lot of this depends on who is actually available.

I do agree with Aussie that a FS would be extremely attractive.

Galax Steeler
11-23-2010, 03:45 AM

1- OT
2- CB
3- DE
4- OG

Agree we for sure need an OT early and a corner or safety that is the way I want the draft to go.

LLT
11-23-2010, 10:41 AM

1- OT
2- CB
3- DE
4- OG

That goes along with my last mock draft...

Now...If we want a FS...we could pick up FS Mark LeGree from Appalachian State in the 5th or 6th round...another small school sleeper. But check this out...Two-time first-team All-American... Legree had seven INTs in 2009 and led the nation in 2008 with 10 INT's. He now has a career 22 interceptions!!!! Why this guy isnt getting any love is beyond me. Good in run support...

Texasteel
11-23-2010, 11:17 AM
That goes along with my last mock draft...

Now...If we want a FS...we could pick up FS Mark LeGree from Appalachian State in the 5th or 6th round...another small school sleeper. But check this out...Two-time first-team All-American... Legree had seven INTs in 2009 and led the nation in 2008 with 10 INT's. He now has a career 22 interceptions!!!! Why this guy isnt getting any love is beyond me. Good in run support...

Something to think about, but I'm just not ready to give up Smith or Henery right yet.

LLT
11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Something to think about, but I'm just not ready to give up Smith or Henery right yet.

I need to look into whether we have traded for any draft picks or are owed any draft picks in 2011....I dont think so but I need to look.

LLT
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Nope...nothing traded.

NFL Draft 2011 Traded Picks
Updated - October 20, 2010
NFL Trading Period opens March 5th thru October 19, 2010 - 4 pm est
NFL Trade Free Agency Period starts March 5, 2011 thru mid July 2011

NFL Draft 2011

1st Round
New England from Oakland - DT Richard Seymour

2nd Round
Denver from Miami - WR Brandon Marshall
New England from Carolina (2010 draft day trade)

3rd Round
San Diego from the NY Jets - CB Antonio Cromartie - pick could become a #2 in time
San Diego from Seattle - QB Charley Whitehurst
Philadelphia gets a conditional #3 or #4 from Washington - QB Donovan McNabb
New Orleans has a conditional #3 or #4 from Washington - OT Jammal Brown
New England from Minnesota - WR Randy Moss

4th round
San Francisco from San Diego (2010 draft day trade)
Jacksonville from New Orleans (2010 draft day trade)
New England from Denver - RB Lawrence Maroney
Buffalo from Seattle - RB Marshawn Lynch
Seattle from New England - WR Deion Branch

5th round
Philadelphia from San Diego (2010 draft day trade)
Tampa Bay from Denver (2010 draft day trade)
Seattle from Baltimore - CB Josh Wilson
Minnesota from NY Giants - QB Sage Rosenfels/WR-KR Darius Renaud

6th Round
Philadelphia from Tampa Bay - WR Reggie Brown
Cleveland from Denver - QB Brady Quinn
Detroit from Philadelphia (2010 draft day trade)
New England from New Orleans - TE David Thomas
San Francisco from Seattle - DT Kentwan Balmer
Seattle from Detroit – DE Lawrence Jackson
Arizona from Philadelphia - OG Reggie Wells

7th Round
New England from New Orleans - TE David Thomas
Detroit from NY Jets - QB Kevin O'Connell
NY Jets from Arizona - FS Kerry Rhodes
San Fran from Detroit - QB Shaun Hill
Atlanta from Detroit - CB Chris Houston
Dallas from San Diego - WR Patrick Crayton
Philadelphia from Seattle - OT Stacy Andrews
Chicago has a conditional #7 from St. Louis - DB Kevin Payne
Miami has a conditional #7 from Jacksonville - OG Justin Smiley
Jacksonville has a conditional #7 from Green Bay - SS Anthony Smith

Dallas surrendered pick for DT Josh Price-Brent (Supplemental Draft 2010)
Chicago surrendered pick for RB Harvey Unga (Supplemental Draft 2010)

Conditional Picks 2011
Green Bay from Carolina - LS J.J. Jansen
Seattle from Cleveland - QB Seneca Wallace
Washington gets either a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick from New Orleans to complete deal for OT Jammal Brown
Philadelphia will receive Washington's 3rd round pick and New Orleans with get the Redskins #4 pick if the Redskins either win 9 games or make to the playoffs this coming season or if QB Donovan McNabb is voted to the Pro Bowl. If those conditions aren't met then New Orleans will get the Redskins 3rd round pick Philadelphia gets their #4 pick. If New Orleans gets Washington's 3rd round pick then the Redskins will get a 5th rounder to complete the deal. If the Saints only get the Redskins #4 pick then Washington gets a 6th or 7th rounder to complete the deal
Atlanta has an undisclosed pick from New England - OG Quinn Ojinnaka
Dallas has an undisclosed pick from Miami - OT Pat McQuistan
Baltimore has an undisclosed pick from Philadelphia - OLB Antwan Barnes
Washington has an undisclosed pick from Indianapolis - CB Justin Tyron
Kansas City has an undisclosed pick from New England - S Jarrad Page
Jacksonville has a conditional pick from Cincinnati - S Reggie Nelson
Philadelphia has an undisclosed pick from New England - LB Tracy White
Baltimore has an undisclosed late round pick from St. Louis - WR Mark Clayton
Kansas City from Tampa Bay - DE Alex Magee
Tampa from Kansas City - DE Alex Magee

SteelMember
11-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Just remember the last Badger we drafted. Although they have great run blockers, the pass protection is something that brings them down in grading. Camiri has some nice size, but I think Costanzo plays better from the neck up, and has better feet, imo. Thus, the love. Plus, he has been very durable.

Although, I'd be down for getting any tackle of good quality early. Outside of CB, probably still my #1 priority for us.

Speaking of size in a LT... anyone like the converted TE Nate Solder from Colorado? The kid is big, but quick. He doesn't have a lot of experience at LT, and that could be his biggest fault.

1- OT
2- CB
3- DE
4- OG

I'm down with that structure, Tex. And even though we still may need a developmental FS, I don't think it's as much a priority for me as last year. We haven't seen too much of Allen, but he and Mundy seem up to the task so far. We have a lot of bodies at CB... just not that prototypical shutdown guy. For as much criticism as he takes, Ike is the closest we have. Moving one of those other guys to FS could be just as effective as getting a late round FS in the draft.

Chidi29
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
LLT, did you get a chance to watch Rackley against Lafayette?

First time I got to watched him and came away impressed.

LLT
11-23-2010, 05:46 PM
LLT, did you get a chance to watch Rackley against Lafayette?

First time I got to watched him and came away impressed.

I absolutely LOVE Rackley...the only two Guards that I have ranked over him are Pouncy and Ijalana....He is ranked at #12 at NFLdraftscout....which blows me away. I pray that he is still ranked lower on draft day.

I feel the same way about LT Danny Watkins of Baylor....he is so much more fundamentally sound then players ranked above him..that I get a little excited thinking that if Carimi is gone, he would still be available.

LLT
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Just remember the last Badger we drafted. Although they have great run blockers, the pass protection is something that brings them down in grading. Camiri has some nice size, but I think Costanzo plays better from the neck up, and has better feet, imo. Thus, the love. Plus, he has been very durable.

Although, I'd be down for getting any tackle of good quality early. Outside of CB, probably still my #1 priority for us.

Speaking of size in a LT... anyone like the converted TE Nate Solder from Colorado? The kid is big, but quick. He doesn't have a lot of experience at LT, and that could be his biggest fault.

I'm down with that structure, Tex. And even though we still may need a developmental FS, I don't think it's as much a priority for me as last year. We haven't seen too much of Allen, but he and Mundy seem up to the task so far. We have a lot of bodies at CB... just not that prototypical shutdown guy. For as much criticism as he takes, Ike is the closest we have. Moving one of those other guys to FS could be just as effective as getting a late round FS in the draft.

I like Costanzo and Solder....the only problem is that they are gong to go in the first 25 picks in the draft. If we get either of them...something had gone VERY wrong in our season.

I am looking at prospects that might be available in back end of the first round and the early part of the 2nd.

Chidi29
11-23-2010, 08:00 PM

I find Camiri and Urbik to be two completely different players. Obviously, the position is different. LT vs RG. Camiri moves his feet much better and doesn't get by on raw power and size like I saw from Urbik when he came out.

If you want to play the Wisconsin game, the last LT to be drafted from there is Joe Thomas.

These are just a couple notes I have on Camiri from the time I spend watching him. It is from mostly early in the year because I came away so impressed, I didn't feel like I needed to watch him anymore. I should catch another game just to make sure, but it's tough finding the time when there's so many other guys I want to look at.

I apoloigize in advance if my terminology is off or if I'm trying too hard to sound like a "draftnik". I'm continuing to learn about each position and what to look for.

vs UNLV

Fired out of his stance, smooth kickslide. Kept feet moving in run and pass blocking. Athletic, can get to and engage at the 2nd level. Great run blocking. Excellent frame. Will bend his waist too much in the run game. Injuries have piled up over the years.

vs San Jose St (1 half)

Physical, strong at point of attack, blows men off the line. Good job of getting to second level. Isn't phased by spin moves in pass protection.

vs Austin Peay

Lesser opponent, but shows ability to take defenders out of the play. Athletic when pulling and has ability to engage at 2nd level. Good foundation, didn't get beat. Might overextend his hands at times. Good first punch. Finishes, has a mean streak.

vs Michigan St

Solid base, moves well laterally. Did seem to lunge and get beat badly on seperate occassions. Game over when he locks on. Arms extended and keeps feet underneath. Seals ends as well as any tackle in college. Even went from a seal to blocking LB Greg Jones (top linebacking prospect) in one fluid motion. Got a few snaps at RT, too.

Chidi29
11-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I absolutely LOVE Rackley...the only two Guards that I have ranked over him are Pouncy and Ijalana....He is ranked at #12 at NFLdraftscout....which blows me away. I pray that he is still ranked lower on draft day.

I feel the same way about LT Danny Watkins of Baylor....he is so much more fundamentally sound then players ranked above him..that I get a little excited thinking that if Carimi is gone, he would still be available.

I'll have to go look at the Baylor/Oklahoma game. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Watkins until now.

LLT
11-24-2010, 02:00 PM
I'll have to go look at the Baylor/Oklahoma game. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of Watkins until now.

Here is the write up from CBS Sports/NFLdraftscout

11/19/2010 - Baylor football student-athletes Danny Watkins and Phil Taylor will play for the South team in the 62nd annual Under Armour Senior Bowl on Jan. 29 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala..... Watkins, a native of Kelowna, British Columbia, leads a Baylor offensive line that ranks second in the Big 12 and is tied for 34th nationally in sacks allowed. That same offensive line paves the way for a rushing offense that ranks third in the Big 12 and 24th nationally. Watkins has graded 91 percent or higher in six games and has recorded 12 or more knockdowns in a game four times this season. He leads the team with 121 knockdowns through the first 11 games.

Overview
Gregarious leader and anchor of offensive line as starting left tackle … Native Canadian and former junior college transfer in second and final season at Baylor … One of seven returning starters on offense … One of four BU returnees who started all 12 games in 2009, one of two on offense … Has squated 570 pounds, benched 400 … Total of three seasons of football experience, former firefighter grew up playing hockey.

Chidi29
11-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Just watched the Baylor game, and I came away impressed with Watkins going up against stiff competition, facing Beal some of the time.

You're dead on LLT when it comes to him fundmentally. He plays with a strong base, no bending at the waist or getting stiff and losing leverage. He mirrors very well and isn't too quick to seal the edge like a lot of tackles are. He got his arms extended and kept the DE from getting into control. I thought he lunged in the run game a tad bit, but overall, it was a good showing. I'm glad you brought him up.

Texasteel
11-26-2010, 04:43 PM

It is hard for me to believe that Carimi will be there late in the first, but if he is there he would be on top of my wish list. I have not watched Watkins this year but have seen him before and have read quite a bit about him. You know that I like Pinkson but will be happy to take yours and Chidi's opinion that Watkins is that much better.

Again you know that Pouncy and Ijalana are my two favorites at the OG position, but have been reading a lot the last month on Rackey and am starting to get excited about him. I hope I get a chance to see him before the year is over, I'm sure he will be at one of the all star games. There are also a few OTs that I think might be OGs in the pros like Carpenter, Cannon, and I still kind of like the kid Ziemba as a possible guard.

I could not think of a whole lot that would make me happier than Carimi, in the 1st, and Rackey in the 4th.

You know who I like at CB in the 2nd, but I'm still trying to work on a DE in the 3rd.

We got a good start on our O-line last year, maybe this year they will finish the smile they started last year.

Chidi29
11-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Tex,

Do you get espn3?

You might be able to catch the Leigh/Lafayette game and watch Rackley. The games seem to be only archived for about a week so I don't know if you'll see this in time. But if you want to check it out, he's #74 and Leigh's left tackle.

Chidi29
11-26-2010, 10:13 PM
LLT,

I did see a couple things in Watkins' bio that could hurt his stock.

He's only been playing football since 2007.

He'll be a 26 1/2 year old rookie.

LLT
11-27-2010, 12:12 PM
LLT,

I did see a couple things in Watkins' bio that could hurt his stock.

He's only been playing football since 2007.

He'll be a 26 1/2 year old rookie.

I actually LOVE that. He was a Firefighter for a couple of years before going to college!!!! Hopefully his stock is hurt enough for us to get him at a value!!!

I saw your previous post on him...glad you like him.

Texasteel
11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
OK guys here is something I've read about and been running through my mind.

Say Troy Smith comes out this year. He is a good years of weight training from even playing so would teams spend a top 20 - 25 pick on him. I think the kid is very, very good, and have heard him described as a sure LT. Scott has be passable at LT but may be much better at RT. Would you draft him, if available, and wait a year for him to put on 20 - 25 lbs and get stronger knowing he would do you little to no good next year?

LLT
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
OK guys here is something I've read about and been running through my mind.

Say Troy Smith comes out this year. He is a good years of weight training from even playing so would teams spend a top 20 - 25 pick on him. I think the kid is very, very good, and have heard him described as a sure LT. Scott has be passable at LT but may be much better at RT. Would you draft him, if available, and wait a year for him to put on 20 - 25 lbs and get stronger knowing he would do you little to no good next year?

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Tyrone Smith of Southern California. Ugh...thinking a year ahead is more to wrap my mind around. But to honest...I have had that same debate in my head in regards to Nate Potter who is playing guard this year but will be a LT in the pros.

Texasteel
11-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm pretty sure you are talking about Tyrone Smith of Southern California. Ugh...thinking a year ahead is more to wrap my mind around. But to honest...I have had that same debate in my head in regards to Nate Potter who is playing guard this year but will be a LT in the pros.

You know me and names.

Texasteel
11-28-2010, 04:04 PM
OK can anyone argue with what I've been screaming the last 3 years.

I'm know I am over reacting but right now I want to draft all OTs and OGs and one DE

Chidi29
11-28-2010, 06:36 PM
OK can anyone argue with what I've been screaming the last 3 years.

I'm know I am over reacting but right now I want to draft all OTs and OGs and one DE

We put ourselves in positions to where we became committed to our line. Mainly on the left side.

We caved to Starks because we didn't want to keep putting the franchise tag on him, and were always picking too low to get a top tackle.

We gave Kemoeatu a lot of money because the Jets were offering him a big deal and we already lost Faneca to them.

With their contracts being up next year, we can start looking at tackle and guard. I just hope someone falls.

SteelMember
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I like Costanzo and Solder....the only problem is that they are gong to go in the first 25 picks in the draft. If we get either of them...something had gone VERY wrong in our season.

I am looking at prospects that might be available in back end of the first round and the early part of the 2nd.

Well, to be honest, I think a guy like Solder may slide because of his number of starts, while a bigger, slower footed guy like Marcus Cannon moves up. I know what your saying though. Realistically, we could get a better interior man instead of a tackle. It's been that way for a few years now... because of where we usually pick. If a tackle starts to slide our way, he usually gets scooped up just before our turn. So we could get a highly graded OG, but as of now there is only one I think may deserve it... Rodney Hudson. Pouncey is a possibility, but he's not worthy of a 1st rounder. 2nd would be a better value.

I find Camiri and Urbik to be two completely different players. Obviously, the position is different. LT vs RG. Camiri moves his feet much better and doesn't get by on raw power and size like I saw from Urbik when he came out.

I'm with you, Chidi. I said that with a pinch of sarcasm. Not many people liked the Urbik pick, but I thought he'd be very serviceable. I think we let him go too soon, imo. Look what he did against Hood and Woodley yesterday. They were invisible for the most part.

I will agree with the fact that he'll probably move up and won't be there for us anyway, so I'm just trying to bring him down a notch. :chuckle:

Texasteel
11-29-2010, 11:18 AM
We could have had Bulaga last year but went in a direction that I think the team saw as a bigger need and value. I can not argue with what we did last year. We could get a little lucky as far as an OT is concerned this year as well. I see a couple that, right now, are not highly touted that I think could play LT in a year or so. Beside I am totally feed up with the situation. I am now willing to over draft a kid that we think could handle the LT spot. I am sure and certain that we will be able to get a very good guard.

Chidi29
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
For those who have espn3, there are a couple games that you guys might want to check out. For me at least, this will be the only time I get to watch them in all liklihood.

Wofford will be shown in their playoff game. We'll get a chance to see Pat Illig who I know LLT likes a lot. And they're scheduled to show the Villanova game where we can watch guard Ben Ijalanaa and wide receiver Matt Szczur. Appalachain St also has a couple of sleepers in some draftniks mind that might be worth checking out.

Texasteel
11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Have you seen Ijalanaa yet Chidi. I'm interested to hear your take on him. I really like this kid but think he might cost us a 2nd round pick, might be there in the 3rd.

Chidi29
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Have you seen Ijalanaa yet Chidi. I'm interested to hear your take on him. I really like this kid but think he might cost us a 2nd round pick, might be there in the 3rd.

I haven't seen him yet either. Villanova games have been hard to come by since I don't have any special college football network in my TV package. He sure seems to have the build to play guard though. Can't wait to get a look at him.

JayC
12-02-2010, 03:35 PM
my eye is on pounceys brother or the best physical cb available

Chidi29
12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Just watched the Nova and Wofford games. Must say, I didn't come away impressed with either player.

Ijalana will throw his weight around and can engulf smaller lineman. But he isn't quick off the snap and will definitely have to kick inside to guard in the NFL. He's currently their LT. He doesn't have a good foundation in pass protection. It's difficult for me to describe exactly what the issue, he isn't bending his waist badly or getting too stiff. It just seems like he's too quick to seal the edge and doesn't keep his feet apart. He'll also get beat off the edge and ends up grabbing the end, making it look like what happens to James Harrison. The worst part of it all was that he just looked like he didn't care at times. He took multiple plays off. His feet went dead and he looked disinterested. Keep in mind this was a playoff game and it was before Villanova took the lead for good. This occured in the first half when it SFA was dominating. Ijalana also can't engage at the second level and will have to work in a power scheme.

Illig was only slightly better. He does have pretty rare size for playing at a small school. 6'5 320. On a personal note, he went to a high school that is in the same conference as my own which is pretty cool. And like Ijalana, he is a good in-line blocker. His pass protection in terms of getting beat or not was good though Wofford doesn't throw a whole ton, operating out of the triple option. But he lunges badly in the run game. Doesn't get his feet under him and try to drive. He struggles to stick on contact which is disappointing with the obvious size advantage he has over a lot of guys. He's terrible in space. They tried to pull him a couple times and he can't do anything in the open field. Can't even cut block linebackers.

The good thing is that both teams won so I hope they'll be on espn3 again next week.

I did really like wide receiver Max Szczur out of Villanova. He gets seperation and catchs the ball cleanly with his hands. They'll use him in a bunch of different ways. Wide receiver and he's their main guy out of the Wildcat. Doesn't quit on the play and doesn't go down easily. He had a run to the left sideline, got spun around, broke free, and cut across the field for 10-11 yards. He's also quite the athlete in general. Played in the Cubs minor league system after being drafted by them in the 5th round. Hit .347 in 101 ABs. Of course, he may opt to pursure a baseball career. According to the announcers of the game, he'll have until Feb. 10 to make that decision.

LLT
12-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Very nice breakdown....I think the defeciencies that you saw are exactly what most scouts have talked about... and is why both are projected as OG's. Ijalana lurches at defenders and has a terrible kick slide (which is probably what you are talking about when you say that he is gettting beat off the edge) His abilities seem to fit the guard position MUCH better where he can play in a phone booth.

Illig is a project (which is why I have him graded as a 7th round pick) he is the type of player that you use that late round pick on...spend some time chiseling away some of the rough spots and see if you have a diamond. The worst that can happen is that you cut a 7th round pick. That being said...I get VERY excited about players like Illig because of the potential value vs reward potential.

Chidi29
12-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Very nice breakdown....I think the defeciencies that you saw are exactly what most scouts have talked about... and is why both are projected as OG's. Ijalana lurches at defenders and has a terrible kick slide (which is probably what you are talking about when you say that he is gettting beat off the edge) His abilities seem to fit the guard position MUCH better where he can play in a phone booth.

Illig is a project (which is why I have him graded as a 7th round pick) he is the type of player that you use that late round pick on...spend some time chiseling away some of the rough spots and see if you have a diamond. The worst that can happen is that you cut a 7th round pick. That being said...I get VERY excited about players like Illig because of the potential value vs reward potential.

Fair enough about Illig. I think out of the three small school guards we've talked about, I liked Rackley the most. I've also watched Curt Porter but don't really like him.

Wofford and Villanova will again be shown on espn3 this Saturday.

LLT
12-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Fair enough about Illig. I think out of the three small school guards we've talked about, I liked Rackley the most. I've also watched Curt Porter but don't really like him.

Wofford and Villanova will again be shown on espn3 this Saturday.

The last mock draft I did had us taking Carimi in the 1st...and Rackley in the 4th round.

LLT
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Here is a new mock....adding the 5th rounder that we will get for Holmes

1) OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin, Height: 6-7 Weight: 322.....Still hoping to get him at the end of the 1st round...if he is gone I would go with CB Davon House of New Mexico State here and take OT Danny Watkins of Baylor in the 2nd round

2) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech, Height: 5-10 Weight: 182...If we grab an OT in round 1,Carmichael would be a strong choice in round 2 to take McFadden's place.

3) DE Cedric Thornton Southern Arkansas, Height: 6-4 Weight: 295....One of my sleeper picks to bolster an aging and often injured DE corp.

4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh, Height: 6-4 Weight: 305.....Not rated this high (yet) on most boards but well worth a 4th round pick. If Rackley is off the boards, I would consider John Moffitt of Wisconsin who may slide because of a pectoral injury.

5) Safety Chris Culliver, South Carolina 6-0 Weight: 201....played safety before being moved to CB. Missed last few games due to shoulder injury so he coul be a steal in the fifth round.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall, Height: 6-6 Weight: 267....Anyone else ready for a legit TE to back up Miller and take Spaeth's spot?

6) NT Chris Neild West Virginia: 6-2 Weight: 302....Neild has flown under the rader. Not great stats but he blows up the O-line and demands two blockers. Way underrated. Might start climbing draf boards if he garners post season accolades.

7) OG Pat Illig, Wofford, Height 6-5 Weight 320.....Huge small school prospect that is worth a shot in the 7th round. Will be a guard prospect in the pros.

Chidi29
12-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I like the mock LLT. Would love to have Carimi in the first. I still see some people who are sour on him. Don't know why.

I don't know how big of a fan I am on taking a CB in the 2nd. I'm not really sure what kind of prospect Carmichael is, I don't get to watch a lot of cornerbacks because I find it to be difficult with the TV not always keeping them on the screen, but we don't really draft CBs early. And when we do, they're not that good (Colclough, for example). I think we've only drafted two cornerbacks in the first round since 1979 (This is obviously second but helps to show my point of us shying away from getting a top corner). Always been of the thought that if you're physical, willing to play the run, and can tackle well, you can play cornerback for LeBeau. If we do lose Ike, it would become a different story.

Does the 3rd round seem about the projected spot for Thornton or are you grabbing him early to make sure someone else wouldn't snag him? I'm just curious and not trying to hate on the pick, but have you watched him at all? I'm sure games have been hard to come by.

I like Rackley. I'd put him at RG based on our current line. I think he could handle the switch from LT.

Can't say I know anything about Culliver. Are you moving him back to safety - free, I assume? - or keeping him at CB?

I know you've been high on Lee for awhile now. Tomlin does seem to like Spaeth a good deal though.

Haven't watched Neild and since you've brought him up, I'm kinda kicking myself because I just watched the Rutgers WVU game checking out another prospect. Does WVU have a bowl game? If so, I'll make sure to watch him.

I get that Illig is intruiging because of his size, but I don't know if I can get on board with the pick yet, even if it is a 7th rounder. If we want to talk about small school late round guards, I'd opt for Jamal Lewis (Hampton) or Daryl Hicks (Deleware St).

I can't really say for sure what prospects I like and which I don't, outside of a couple, until Bowl Season is over. Going to be a lot of fun. Plan on watching as many games as I can. Have already watched over 65 prospects. Hoping to get a couple more and watch a ton of players another time. Quantity is always a good thing when it comes to the draft.

LLT
12-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I like the mock LLT. Would love to have Carimi in the first. I still see some people who are sour on him. Don't know why.

Me neither...he is the real deal.

I don't know how big of a fan I am on taking a CB in the 2nd. I'm not really sure what kind of prospect Carmichael is, I don't get to watch a lot of cornerbacks because I find it to be difficult with the TV not always keeping them on the screen, but we don't really draft CBs early. And when we do, they're not that good (Colclough, for example). I think we've only drafted two cornerbacks in the first round since 1979 (This is obviously second but helps to show my point of us shying away from getting a top corner). Always been of the thought that if you're physical, willing to play the run, and can tackle well, you can play cornerback for LeBeau. If we do lose Ike, it would become a different story.

Exactly why we need to start looking at Corners in the first two rounds. Carmichael is fast...aggressive...and loves contact. He also has soft hands and can play both man-to-man and zone.

Does the 3rd round seem about the projected spot for Thornton or are you grabbing him early to make sure someone else wouldn't snag him? I'm just curious and not trying to hate on the pick, but have you watched him at all? I'm sure games have been hard to come by.

Both...He is (at this time) ranked as the #103 prospect according to nfldraftscout.com. I also went to the southern arkansas/north alabama game when I visited my brother in law earlier this year.

I like Rackley. I'd put him at RG based on our current line. I think he could handle the switch from LT.

I think he is a site favorite.

Can't say I know anything about Culliver. Are you moving him back to safety - free, I assume? - or keeping him at CB?

Move him back to safety

I know you've been high on Lee for awhile now. Tomlin does seem to like Spaeth a good deal though.

I have no idea why he likes Spaeth

Haven't watched Neild and since you've brought him up, I'm kinda kicking myself because I just watched the Rutgers WVU game checking out another prospect. Does WVU have a bowl game? If so, I'll make sure to watch him.

Just getting on his band wagon.....Im really liking this kid.

I get that Illig is intruiging because of his size, but I don't know if I can get on board with the pick yet, even if it is a 7th rounder. If we want to talk about small school late round guards, I'd opt for Jamal Lewis (Hampton) or Daryl Hicks (Deleware St).

Id be fine with that...much rather take a good small tier school prospect as compared to a mediocre big school prospect with the 7th round pick

Texasteel
12-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Like the Mock Perry. It is pretty much what we have been talking about for the last month our so. I particularly like the first 4 picks but you know that. I'm still looking at potential 3rd round DE, but Thornton will most likely be there and would be a good choice.

I am beginning to buy into the Carimi dream, although I don't know why he would be there when we pick. I just hope he doesn't blow the place up during the Sr. games and the combines. That would definitely put an end to our dream.

You and I will be talking about Smith till draft day, and hopefully long after.

Your right Rackley is quickly becoming a site favorite and is becoming more popular after every game we watch our OL flounder.

Right now I would take this draft and be very happy with it.

Chidi29
12-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Me neither...he is the real deal.

Exactly why we need to start looking at Corners in the first two rounds. Carmichael is fast...aggressive...and loves contact. He also has soft hands and can play both man-to-man and zone.

Both...He is (at this time) ranked as the #103 prospect according to nfldraftscout.com. I also went to the southern arkansas/north alabama game when I visited my brother in law earlier this year.

I think he is a site favorite.

Move him back to safety

I have no idea why he likes Spaeth

Just getting on his band wagon.....Im really liking this kid.

Id be fine with that...much rather take a good small tier school prospect as compared to a mediocre big school prospect with the 7th round pick

I think you can find the type of corner we're looking for in later rounds. Usually the 4.4 ballhawks go off the board first. We don't need one of those. It's a luxury, I'd love to have a guy like Revis, but it isn't a requirement. Our draft record at CB shows this. At the very least, even if you think they should, it's unlikely they will take a corner anything higher than the 3rd. Not an absolute, of course because BPA can dictate so much, but it's unlikely.

What did you think of Thornton when you watched him? Good things, I'd imagine?

Speath is a decent blocker, I'll give him that. And maybe it's part coachspeak, but he spoke highly of him stepping up in past games that Heath missed.

Texasteel
12-09-2010, 09:41 PM
I for one like the Carmichael pick. He is a corner that can in deed cover a WR for more than the count of 2 and still support the run when needed. This is something that our corners are lacking in. I think it is time for us to take a CB early, if the right corner is there. I think Carmichael is the right corner.

We could try and find a CB in the later rounds, but that may be one reason our defensive backfield is in such poor shape. You don't take one just for the sake of taking one, but like I stated, if the right one is there, you take him.

Aussie_steeler
12-10-2010, 04:19 AM

1) OT Gabe Carimi Wisconsin, Height: 6-7 Weight: 322.....Still hoping to get him at the end of the 1st round...if he is gone I would go with CB Davon House of New Mexico State here and take OT Danny Watkins of Baylor in the 2nd round

2) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech, Height: 5-10 Weight: 182...If we grab an OT in round 1,Carmichael would be a strong choice in round 2 to take McFadden's place.

3) DE Cedric Thornton Southern Arkansas, Height: 6-4 Weight: 295....One of my sleeper picks to bolster an aging and often injured DE corp.

4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh, Height: 6-4 Weight: 305.....Not rated this high (yet) on most boards but well worth a 4th round pick. If Rackley is off the boards, I would consider John Moffitt of Wisconsin who may slide because of a pectoral injury.

5) Safety Chris Culliver, South Carolina 6-0 Weight: 201....played safety before being moved to CB. Missed last few games due to shoulder injury so he coul be a steal in the fifth round.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall, Height: 6-6 Weight: 267....Anyone else ready for a legit TE to back up Miller and take Spaeth's spot?

6) NT Chris Neild West Virginia: 6-2 Weight: 302....Neild has flown under the rader. Not great stats but he blows up the O-line and demands two blockers. Way underrated. Might start climbing draf boards if he garners post season accolades.

7) OG Pat Illig, Wofford, Height 6-5 Weight 320.....Huge small school prospect that is worth a shot in the 7th round. Will be a guard prospect in the pros.

Good to see you have got Neild on your radar LLT. I think he is the perfect pick for a future NT. Great no frills guy who continually eats up space. I heard an interview earlier with this guy and he sounds like he has many steeler like qualities.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272388

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10335/1107262-144.stm

Pick him in the 6th, give him a training camp and then hide him away on the practice squad. By the time Chris Hoke moves on you have your #2 NT.

I also think the spread of positions is right on the money, big on linemen on both sides.

I would love to see a FS taken but I just dont think it is going to happen. Many Free Safeties seem come through the lower rounds or even as UDFA's lately.

The more the season progresses the more of a convert I am becoming to the need for a high pick on CB.

Good Job Perry

st33lersguy
12-10-2010, 03:44 PM

We have to select a nose tackle before a TE

LLT
12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
We have to select a nose tackle before a TE

We have the luxery of having two NT's on our roster that couls stqrt on both teams. That being said and teh fact that hampton just re-signed for the next few years allows us to either put off drafting a NT this next year....or grab one in hte later rounds that might just need a little seasoning to contribute.

Make no mistake...Neild is much better than most people realize. High Motor...Good character...and strong. Here are some write ups on him:

....I'll go with the senior nose tackle (Chris Neild) who gets things started by disrupting the middle of the opposing offensive line on every play. He's the very definition of a guy whose stats don't tell the full story.

....Noseguard Chris Neild rarely shows up in the stat column, but he occupies two blockers almost every play and collapses the middle of the line of scrimmage.

...Chris Neild is the straw that stirs the West Virginia defense's drink

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/tag/_/name/chris-neild

The way West Virginia's defense has played, any number of players could be candidates for all-Big East, beginning with safety Robert Sands, nose guard Chris Neild, linebacker J.T. Thomas, safety Terrance Garvin and cornerbacks Brandon Hogan and Keith Tandy.

NT Chris Neild The senior out of Stroudsburg, Pa., has been impressing NFL scouts as he has anchored the middle of a WVU defensive line that has played well all season. Despite a position that doesn't lead itself to sacks, Neild has two already this season. Against LSU he had six tackles, second to S Robert Sands' nine.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75263&draftyear=2011&genpos=DT

....Chris Neild lines up in the center of West Virginia's defense, but he is anything but the center of attention for one of the country's best groups.

Maybe no one in the Big East, or beyond, is as critical to a defense's success, but equally anonymous.

"People don't see him a lot because he's got 600, 700 pounds of double-teams wrapped around him the majority of the game," WVU defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel said. "He's really athletic and he has the ability to make a lot of plays when people double-team him. If you single him, he makes plays. Either way, you have to account for him....."

....."He might not be the Big East's tackle leader, but what he does in the scheme they play, where he's head-up on the nose, you can't move him out of the middle," said South Florida Coach Skip Holtz.

"If you want to, you have to double-team him and that's a very difficult job because he's so big and strong and he can stay in the middle and do what he does in their scheme."

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201011171129

st33lersguy
12-11-2010, 02:10 PM
We have the luxery of having two NT's on our roster that couls stqrt on both teams. That being said and teh fact that hampton just re-signed for the next few years allows us to either put off drafting a NT this next year....or grab one in hte later rounds that might just need a little seasoning to contribute.

Make no mistake...Neild is much better than most people realize. High Motor...Good character...and strong. Here are some write ups on him:

Both our NTs are nearing retirement meaning we have to draft one soon and we do not need a tight end

LLT
12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Both our NTs are nearing retirement meaning we have to draft one soon and we do not need a tight end

We have only one well rounded TE on the roster. Johnson is serviceable by Spaeth needs to be replaced.

I would have no problem with finding A TE later....but Neilds is as good of a NT as you are going to find outside the first two rounds....and there is NO way that we should grab an NT over a OT, CB, OG, and DE.

Chidi29
12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Got a chance to watch Villanova and Wofford games again. I'll get another look at 'Nova next week as they upset Applachian St. Despite a second half surge from Wofford, they fell to Georgia Southern.

I was much, much more impressed with Ijalana this time around. He didn't take any plays off and his feet were always moving. That was the most important thing I saw from him. His run blocking was dominant at times in both drive and down blocking. Really did a nice job opening up running lanes. His handplacment is really good; hands in the chest and he drives with his lower body. His kickslide is still sloppy, it looks like he tends to cross his feet off the snap. And he can still get beat off the edge, gave up a sack that way, and still grabs when the end gets a step. Putting him at guard should allieviate some of those problems.

Matt Szczur had an incredible day. Really starting to become a fan of the kid. He had five total touchdowns. Three rushing, one receiving, and one passing. Involved in all but one of Nova's scores. He makes quick, decisive cuts with the ball in his hands and doesn't go down easily. A tough runner. He put a great double move on his receiving TD. Made the FS think he was going to run a corner and then broke it off into a post in the middle of the field, exploiting the Cover 2. Adding on about his time with the Cubs, he had a 21 game hit streak going on. And the announcers were talking about a story of him playing golf for the first time. He shot a 60+ on the front nine but followed it up with something in the 40s on the back nine. Quite the athlete. This isn't a huge part of his draft stock, but he seems like a geninuely good person. Donated bone marrow to save a little girl's life.

LLT, I don't think I'm going to be able to get behind Pat Illig. I understand it's just a 7th rounder, but I haven't seen anything out of the guy. He did have a couple flashes of dominance working in a phone booth and had two pancakes or so, but he's slow off the snap and seems to struggle with leverage. I'm watching DTs get up and under him. He bends at the waist in run and pass protection as bad as I've seen. He might have been a *little* better in space but still pretty awful. It was back-to-back poor showings from him. If you haven't already and get a free moment, watch the game (it's on espn3.com) to get an idea of what I'm seeing.

LLT
12-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Glad to see that you like Ijalana...He is ranked higher than Rackley on virtually every draft board, but to be honest I wouldnt be dissapointed in getting either of them.

Totally understand you not jumping on Illig's bandwagon...Thats the great thing about the draft.

Chidi29
12-17-2010, 04:53 PM
The Villanova game will be broadcasted on espn tonight at eight.

Texasteel
12-18-2010, 07:05 AM
The Villanova game will be broadcasted on espn tonight at eight.

Thanks Chidi, think I may be home tonight. I am really looking forward to the senor all star games. I want to see some of the guys I haven't been able to get to.

GoSlash27
12-18-2010, 08:33 AM
We need depth in our secondary...

st33lersguy
12-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Ranking our needs
1. DL- Everyone on the DL is getting old and the steelers need youth at the position fast at all DL positions
2. CB- Bryant McFadden needs to get upgraded, steelers have no shutdown corner
3. OG- Trai Essex, Doug Legursky, and Ramon Foster do not belong on a football field
4. OT- Depth is needed
5. S- Need someone competent to replace Polamalu if he gets injured another year

LLT
12-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Ranking our needs
1. DL- Everyone on the DL is getting old and the steelers need youth at the position fast at all DL positions
2. CB- Bryant McFadden needs to get upgraded, steelers have no shutdown corner
3. OG- Trai Essex, Doug Legursky, and Ramon Foster do not belong on a football field
4. OT- Depth is needed
5. S- Need someone competent to replace Polamalu if he gets injured another year

I personally see OT as our #1 or #2 need....but I understand your thinking.

I can forsee a scenerio in which all the OT with first round grades are gone and we have to go a different direction.

1) CB Davon House New Mexico State... 6-0 Weight 184 ...can stay with a WR man-to man but also shows all the skills for zone coerage. Good in run support and has 11 career INT's.

2) OT Marcus Gilbert Florida 6-5 320 ...plays the right side but should be able to move to LT. He has shown the ability to protect a QB's blindside when he did just as much with left handed Tim Tebow. Rates out well in run and pass blocking....needs a coach (like Tomlin) who will ride his ass if he quits before the whistle. Could be elite if motivated.

3) DE Cedric Thornton Central Arkansas 6-4. Weight: 295...I'm torn between Cedric Thornton and DE Pernell McPhee of Mississippi State. Thornton seems to be the most productive of the two and has the highest ceiling...but McPhee has faced better competition and has shown a pretty strong drive to overcome obstacles.

4) OG Will Rackley Lehigh 6-4 305...Athletic guard who has become a site favorite. Like I said before, he isnt ranked this high yet, but he will be.

5) FS Chris Culliver, South Carolina 6-0 Weight: 201....played CB for South Carolina last year but was a free safety his junior year. His size and skill set make it possible for him to be moved back to safety in the NFL.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall 6-6 267.....Very good blocker and reciever. The Steelers felt the effect of not having an all around TE when Miller went down.

6) NT Chris Neild West Virginia 6-2 305 ...High Motor NT, collapses the pocket and takes on two blockers. Gets to learn the pro-game behind "Big Snack".

7) OT Rob McGill Louisiana Tech 6-6 Weight: 310.....Chidi, this one is for you!!!! McGill has great size, strength, and arm length. He seems to have good agility and a pretty good kick slide. He will need a year on someones PS to polish the rough edges on the technical portion of his game. It seems that quick DE's can cut across his face after juke moves. I'm not sure if its because he has some problems transitionally from his kick slide to planting his feet....or if its because he his stepping back to far when getting position

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Bowl games kick off today. I'll be watching two players.

OT Matt Reynolds for BYU. Might not come out this year, is a junior, but is supposed to be one of the top tackles when he is draft eligible.

WR Jerrel Jernigan for Troy. A speedster who has done a little bit of everything on offense and is one of the top return men around.

The Duke
12-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Bowl games kick off today. I'll be watching two players.

OT Matt Reynolds for BYU. Might not come out this year, is a junior, but is supposed to be one of the top tackles when he is draft eligible.

WR Jerrel Jernigan for Troy. A speedster who has done a little bit of everything on offense and is one of the top return men around.

Reynolds is the tackle I've been hoping for lately

maybe it's cause most of the games I watch are Cougars games, but the guy seems solid to me. Few mental lapses

Plus, he'll likely be there by the end of the 1st

Texasteel
12-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I like Reynolds, and have been watching him when I could. I do have my doubts about him going early in the draft because of his age. I think I read that he is 27, almost 28 years old. Still if we could get him a round or two down the line would be very usable to us.

Aussie_steeler
12-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I like Reynolds, and have been watching him when I could. I do have my doubts about him going early in the draft because of his age. I think I read that he is 27, almost 28 years old. Still if we could get him a round or two down the line would be very usable to us.

As you know Tex I am a Reynolds fan.

It is pretty hard to find out his age / date of birth. But this may put it into an accurate range.

His older brother Dallas was born April 23 1984 ( 26 yrs old)

That would put Matt Reynolds in the 24 - 25 year range.

As much as I like him I just dont see the Steelers taking a player in that age range in the first round. History shows that the steelers like to target young players in the first.

an interesting read on Reynolds for you
http://www.deseretnews.com/mobile/article/700090335/BYU-football-Matt-Reynolds-preps-for-UTEP-with-pro-decision-looming.html

Texasteel
12-18-2010, 04:46 PM

It is pretty hard to find out his age / date of birth. But this may put it into an accurate range.

As much as I like him I just dont see the Steelers taking a player in that age range in the first round. History shows that the steelers like to target young players in the first.

http://www.deseretnews.com/mobile/article/700090335/BYU-football-Matt-Reynolds-preps-for-UTEP-with-pro-decision-looming.html

I like Reynolds as well Aussie. I though he looked good in the game I just watch, but I'm waiting to hear a couple of other opinions. 25 does sound a little more like it, and at that age I could see the Steelers possibly looking at him in the second round. What was the name of that older guy that some of us were looking at a couple years ago? Nixs or something like that, I think he is doing OK now. I really don't want to reach on a kid, but like the last 3 years, I want an OT.

LLT
12-18-2010, 06:27 PM

I have been searching and so far have found out that he graduated from Timpview High School in 2005. That would put him at about 24 years old.

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Watched Reynolds today in the bowl game. I like him, certainly doesn't have any major flaws in his game. However, I fail to see the guy being considered a top tackle. He is technically sound. Good foundation, bends at the knees, plays with good leverage, all that good stuff. But he isn't explosive laterally and looks a little slow off the snap. He didn't get beat today, but it's going to be an issue at the next level. A switch to RT is likely to occur. I think he'll do a good job there but that hurts his value.

I'd take the athletic tackles over him. Guys like Sherrod, Solder, Castonzo, and Carimi.

LLT
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Watched Reynolds today in the bowl game. I like him, certainly doesn't have any major flaws in his game. However, I fail to see the guy being considered a top tackle. He is technically sound. Good foundation, bends at the knees, plays with good leverage, all that good stuff. But he isn't explosive laterally and looks a little slow off the snap. He didn't get beat today, but it's going to be an issue at the next level. A switch to RT is likely to occur. I think he'll do a good job there but that hurts his value.

I'd take the athletic tackles over him. Guys like Sherrod, Solder, Castonzo, and Carimi.

I agree,....he looked a little thick in the middle...probably could stand a NFL weight program to turn some of that spare tire into muscle. Still looked good though

Texasteel
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Do you two agree that Reynolds would make a pretty good 2nd round pick.

We can discuss Ijalanaa again later. I still like that kid.

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Do you two agree that Reynolds would make a pretty good 2nd round pick.

We can discuss Ijalanaa again later. I still like that kid.

Yeah, Reynolds would be a fine second rounder. I see some Eben Britton type value in him. Late first or sometime in the second.

I don't know if I'd want him in black and gold though unless Colon leaves or we think he won't be the same post-injury.

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 08:58 PM
7) OT Rob McGill Louisiana Tech 6-6 Weight: 310.....Chidi, this one is for you!!!! McGill has great size, strength, and arm length. He seems to have good agility and a pretty good kick slide. He will need a year on someones PS to polish the rough edges on the technical portion of his game. It seems that quick DE's can cut across his face after juke moves. I'm not sure if its because he has some problems transitionally from his kick slide to planting his feet....or if its because he his stepping back to far when getting position

For me? I feel honored.

I've only heard of the guy. Didn't know anything about him. Tech isn't is a bowl game, right?

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Uh oh. Jernigan just suffered a knee injury. In quite a bit of pain right now.

Chidi29
12-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Nevermind. He's putting weight on what was actually an ankle injury. He looks ok. Just had to walk it off.

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah, Reynolds would be a fine second rounder. I see some Eben Britton type value in him. Late first or sometime in the second.

I don't know if I'd want him in black and gold though unless Colon leaves or we think he won't be the same post-injury.

I definitely agree that Colon back and a new RG would cure a lot of the line problems we have, but I never have been to keen on Starks. I really hope that a Carimi, or Castonzo will be there when we pick. Those are the two names that I am hearing most often at the end of the first round.

BigNastyDefense
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Our defense didn't really drop off as much as people expected when Aaron Smith went down. And people have to remember, defensive ends in this defense aren't pass rushers, their job is to take up blockers and allow our linebackers to make the plays.

I wouldn't say that DE is our main concern. We could take a guy in the second or third round that will turn out to be very solid. I think Smith, if he doesn't retire (I am not expecting him to), will be taking on less playing time next season. He just can't go the 90-97% of the offensive snaps anymore.

I would say our main concern is a tie between offensive tackle and corner and we should take whichever one is best in the first round.

LLT
12-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I definitely agree that Colon back and a new RG would cure a lot of the line problems we have, but I never have been to keen on Starks. I really hope that a Carimi, or Castonzo will be there when we pick. Those are the two names that I am hearing most often at the end of the first round.

Most of my drafts have centered on finding us a LT and an athletic LG that would allow us to move Kemo to RG. I think there are several guards who could start for us on day one...guards like Mike Pouncey of Florida, Ben Ijalana of Villanova, John Moffitt of Wisconsin, and Will Rackley of Lehigh. (there are several ranked higher than some I listed...but these are the ones I like the most.)

Obviously LT is a harder position to grasp...and I think that Starks is going to have to stay there for at least a year while we groom a replacement. Carimi might have a shorter learning curve than alot of others....I have been watching DeMarcus Love from Arkansas, Marcus Gilbert of Florida, and James Carpenter of Alabama. Danny Watkins, the tackle from Baylor is interesting but I think he might be best used as a guard in the NFL.

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Most of my drafts have centered on finding us a LT and an athletic LG that would allow us to move Kemo to RG. I think there are several guards who could start for us on day one...guards like Mike Pouncey of Florida, Ben Ijalana of Villanova, John Moffitt of Wisconsin, and Will Rackley of Lehigh. (there are several ranked higher than some I listed...but these are the ones I like the most.)

Obviously LT is a harder position to grasp...and I think that Starks is going to have to stay there for at least a year while we groom a replacement. Carimi might have a shorter learning curve than alot of others....I have been watching DeMarcus Love from Arkansas, Marcus Gilbert of Florida, and James Carpenter of Alabama. Danny Watkins, the tackle from Baylor is interesting but I think he might be best used as a guard in the NFL.

I love your list of guard, even though I still have not seen Rackley. I would love to get our hands on Ijalana ( he is quickly becoming my favorite) or Pouncey, but wonder if we don't wait a round or two and grab Rackley. Another LT that you might throw into the guard mix is Zemba of Auburn.

I've watch Gilbert sparingly, I just pay more attention to Mike, and haven't make my mind up about him yet. Love I have not watch, but know he is well thought of. Carpenter, as we have talked about before, I think may end up at guard or RT. I still like Pinkston of Pitt. even though there is little talk about him.

I can not wait for the underclassmen to start declaring. There might not be any names we would be interested it, but they could still push a name we are back into our laps, or at least within our reach.

This is going to be another fun year.

LLT
12-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I love your list of guard, even though I still have not seen Rackley. I would love to get our hands on Ijalana ( he is quickly becoming my favorite) or Pouncey, but wonder if we don't wait a round or two and grab Rackley. Another LT that you might throw into the guard mix is Zemba of Auburn.

I've watch Gilbert sparingly, I just pay more attention to Mike, and haven't make my mind up about him yet. Love I have not watch, but know he is well thought of. Carpenter, as we have talked about before, I think may end up at guard or RT. I still like Pinkston of Pitt. even though there is little talk about him.

I can not wait for the underclassmen to start declaring. There might not be any names we would be interested it, but they could still push a name we are back into our laps, or at least within our reach.

This is going to be another fun year.

Remember...Gilbert plays on the right side....but that was the blind side for Tebow.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Tyron Smith looks to be one of the top underclassman tackle prospects. I've only watched him sparingly. He looks as athletic as you can be, but I think he's going to need to add weight. Seems pretty small.

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Tyron Smith looks to be one of the top underclassman tackle prospects. I've only watched him sparingly. He looks as athletic as you can be, but I think he's going to need to add weight. Seems pretty small.

He is small, and LLT and I have talked about him before, along with Potts. If we are going to have to stick with Starks for another year anyway, which I think is the case. That will give either of them a year to learn the offense and build themselves up to a fair playing weight. Smith is one underclassman I would be interested in.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 12:36 PM
He is small, and LLT and I have talked about him before, along with Potts. If we are going to have to stick with Starks for another year anyway, which I think is the case. That will give either of them a year to learn the offense and build themselves up to a fair playing weight. Smith is one underclassman I would be interested in.

I looked up Starks' contract status earlier today and didn't realize he was signed for another two years. If he recovers from his neck injury, we may be hesitant to draft a LT in the top two rounds.

LLT
12-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I looked up Starks' contract status earlier today and didn't realize he was signed for another two years. If he recovers from his neck injury, we may be hesitant to draft a LT in the top two rounds.

I would like to have a serious talent behind Starks that isnt forced into service....I have my fingers crossed that we grab a LT this year...if not, I am thinking that we might be eyeing Pouncey version 2.0

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I would like to have a serious talent behind Starks that isnt forced into service....I have my fingers crossed that we grab a LT this year...if not, I am thinking that we might be eyeing Pouncey version 2.0

Left tackles usually start immediately or close to it. Even for us, I'm not sure we'd keep a LT for depth purposes for two years.

I might have said this before on here but I hope Mike Pouncey doesn't get hyped up on name value.

LLT
12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Left tackles usually start immediately or close to it. Even for us, I'm not sure we'd keep a LT for depth purposes for two years.

I might have said this before on here but I hope Mike Pouncey doesn't get hyped up on name value.

I like Pouncey...though I think he was a better fit at guard last year than he is at center.

In regards to LT....I dont want a rookie with no starts in the NFL protected Bens blindside. Let him work his way into a rotation until he has played at NFL speed for a bit.

Aussie_steeler
12-19-2010, 02:42 PM

There are two interesting players at OT and OG that I strike from my list, but for some reason that keep popping back up as a faint possibility

As Chidi stated, Tyron Smith looks small and light for the NFL let alone the steeler style. His talent is undeniable but he would need a couple of years to fill out. (but his age suits the steeler style in the first)

The other player I keep coming back to is Stefen Wisniewski. I think he could be along the Alex Mack / Eric Wood type draft pick. A true OC / OG possibility in the bottom of the first. Every time I read a scouting report he sounds like he will be a good player in the right system (more ZBS) and he is also a high character guy.

The reason I shift away each time is that I am convinced this year will be a Defensive pick in the first and then loads of O linemen. Someone very good on the D side of the ball is going to drop ( there are way too many quality DE's / DT's / CB's to accommodate all of them in the first).

My list of who could fall.
3-4 DE - Heyward, Watt, Jordan or Bailey
NT - Paea
CB - Smith, House, Jenkins, Burton
Safety - Barron

Le Beau would be drooling over some of that talent.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 02:52 PM
I like Pouncey...though I think he was a better fit at guard last year than he is at center.

In regards to LT....I dont want a rookie with no starts in the NFL protected Bens blindside. Let him work his way into a rotation until he has played at NFL speed for a bit.

I wouldn't have a problem with a rookie LT. They've had a good track record the past couple years. It's a smaller adjustment than a lot of other positions.

Steeltreal
12-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Get Ben his redzone Target!
Jonathan Baldwin - Pittsburgh (HT: 6-5 - WT: 225)

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Get Ben his redzone Target!
Jonathan Baldwin - Pittsburgh (HT: 6-5 - WT: 225)

I think Baldwin is overrated. Big body that doesn't get a lot of separation. Plus, he seems like a knucklehead.

Steeltreal
12-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I think Baldwin is overrated. Big body that doesn't get a lot of separation. Plus, he seems like a knucklehead.

I dont know about a new TE to replace Spaeth . Is there any other tall WR they should target?

Texasteel
12-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I dont know about a new TE to replace Spaeth . Is there any other tall WR they should target?

I think the Canadian they have worked out is big kid, and leads the Canadian League in receiving.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 08:05 PM

I really don't know a whole ton about the WR class. A guy like AJ Green or Julio Jones could fall. Receivers tend to drop.

Leonard Hankerson is 6'3. Terrence Tolliver is 6'5. Greg Little is 6'3.

I watched Greg Salas of Hawaii a while ago. I liked him a lot. More of a possession type and I think he's *only* listed at 6'2 but looks big.

Chidi29
12-19-2010, 08:07 PM

I can get enamored with the tall WR myself, was a big fan of Micah Rucker when we had him in camp once, but they're a luxury IMO. A lot of them struggle to get seperation/run precise routes and get by on their size in college.

LLT
12-21-2010, 08:51 AM
I can get enamored with the tall WR myself, was a big fan of Micah Rucker when we had him in camp once, but they're a luxury IMO. A lot of them struggle to get seperation/run precise routes and get by on their size in college.

Terrence McCrae the WR from Ohio is 6-3 198 lbs and is supposed to run a 4.45 forty. He is used alot as a Red zone target...not alot of catches but has 19 TD's under his belt with an offense that is built to run and not pass. He could probably be picked up in the 6th round through possible FA.

Kris Adams the WR from Texas-El Paso is also 6-3 and about 195 lbs. He runs a 4.48 forty and this year he caught 47 passes for 1,070 yards and 14 TD's...I rate these two almost dead even in talent even though Adams as been more productive. In a different offense McCrae would have put up bigger numbers.

All that being said...I would still place greater value on getting someone to replace Spaeth. He is sub-par at blocking and and at catching the ball. I have mentioned Lee Smith of Marshall. At 6-6 267 lbs he is a very good blocker and has better hands than Spaeth. Andre Smith of Virginia Tech is 6-4 272 lbs, and is and exceptional blocker, but he would probably cost us a 4th round pick.

st33lersguy
12-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Why is there talk about WRs, the steelers are set at WR, there is no need to draft another one

LLT
12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Why is there talk about WRs, the steelers are set at WR, there is no need to draft another one

That is what I was saying...I would much rather look at a more well rounded TE to replace Spaeth...then look at recievers.

Texasteel
12-27-2010, 08:02 PM
That is what I was saying...I would much rather look at a more well rounded TE to replace Spaeth...then look at recievers.

I think that is why they worked out the kid from up north, they are happy with their WRs and have no intention of drafting one. If we get a good OT, OG, DE, and Safty or CB, plus Smith, I will be happy with the draft. If we can through in a NT I will be delighted.

Chidi29
12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
West Virginia and Chris Neild will be on TV tonight at 6:30.

LLT
12-28-2010, 05:46 PM
West Virginia and Chris Neild will be on TV tonight at 6:30.

OHHHHHH!!!! I'm telling you...I LOVE the motor on this kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chidi29
12-28-2010, 06:27 PM
OHHHHHH!!!! I'm telling you...I LOVE the motor on this kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not that impressed. It's still early but I don't see NC State running a whole lot.

I was able to watch the Pitt/WVU game the other day. There's a Youtube account that has probably seven or eight games that show each play. They're broken down into each team's offense and defense. I watched Neild and while he does have a lot of raw strength, he seems technically unsound. He didn't keep his feet moving. He gets turned around, doesn't stay square to the ball, and ends up being on the ground a lot.

He sheds blocks well and has surprisngly quick hands for a player of his size and position coupled with the thought of someone having experience at the zero, but his play leaves a lot to be desired.

LLT
12-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Give him time...he might be having a bad game...he is relentless and takes up two blockers. Dont look for production...you wont see it...Look for him to lock up O-linemen so that the LBers can make plays.

If you dont see that in this game...check out his tape. I think he is impressive.

Chidi29
12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Give him time...he might be having a bad game...he is relentless and takes up two blockers. Dont look for production...you wont see it...Look for him to lock up O-linemen so that the LBers can make plays.

If you dont see that in this game...check out his tape. I think he is impressive.

I didn't say anything about production. He obviously won't be filling up the stat sheet given the nature of his job.

Steeltreal
12-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Noel Devine over Mewelde Moore = upgrade

Chidi29
12-30-2010, 12:05 AM
Two WRs will be declaring early.

DeAndre Brown out of Southern Mississippi.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5968909

Torrey Smith out of Maryland.

st33lersguy
01-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Saw Mike Pouncey in the Gator Bowl, he was great, I want him.

LLT
01-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Saw Mike Pouncey in the Gator Bowl, he was great, I want him.

You are exactly correct!!! He looked great! I also watched Moffit from Wisconsin...he was more of a plodder than I remembered from earlier in the season. He would be a great RG but probably not athletic enough for the left side.

Aussie_steeler
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
You are exactly correct!!! He looked great! I also watched Moffit from Wisconsin...he was more of a plodder than I remembered from earlier in the season. He would be a great RG but probably not athletic enough for the left side.

I also saw Moffit play. I would say that he performed better than Clint Boling in Georgia's Bowl game. Moffit looked like a 3rd to 4th rounder to me.

What concerned me more was the amount of time Gabe Carimi spent on the ground. At least Moffit held his feet the majority of the game. Moffit looked more inclined to pull and run block than Boling.

JJ Watt looked really good at DE and was much better than the small amount I saw of Jared Crick.

Hey LLT - i had about 40 hours of college games taped to watch ( i have been away on holidays). Last night I sat down and started to watch some games ( East Carolina v Maryland, Hawaii v Tulsa, Army v SMU, Kansas State v Syracuse, UNC v Tenn, Nebraska v Washington, USF v Clemson, Georgia v UCF, Sth Carolina vs Florida State, Alabama v Michigan State, Wisconsin v TCU and Oklahoma v UConn) when my DVR crashed and wiped the Hard drive. I only got to quickly watch the games in bold.

Needless to say I am a little bit pissed.

For the terps Alex Wujciak looked like a player at ILB. However he looked like he has a great nose for the ball, both blitzing, stopping the run and dropping back in coverage. The major downside is that he is very very slow and this will be shown up at the combine. I would look at him in the 7th and as a UDFA. Running back Da'rel Scott had a good strong game and he might get a look in April

For East Carolina WR Dwayne Harris showed that he has a place in the NFL. He is a production machine as a receiver and return specialist. He sits somewhere between Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown (having a little bit of both of their skill set)

Unfortunately there are so many prospects that I missed out on. Now I am just relying on the scouting reports of others. I was hoping to find one or two diamonds in the rough to my sleeper picks.

Hopefully I will get to see the remainder of the bowl games broadcast.

Happy new year

Chidi29
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Aussie, you should be able to watch the games on espn3.com.

Aussie_steeler
01-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Aussie, you should be able to watch the games on espn3.com.

Unfortunately we only get one ESPN channel here. Didnt know about espn3.com. (edit: doesnt work in australia unfortunately)

Thanks chidi

Currently watching Andrew Luck confirm his #1 draft status.

JayC
01-04-2011, 01:23 AM
my only major want is Mike Pouncey but i want to win the super bowl more :D

LLT
01-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Hey LLT - i had about 40 hours of college games taped to watch ( i have been away on holidays). Last night I sat down and started to watch some games ( East Carolina v Maryland, Hawaii v Tulsa, Army v SMU, Kansas State v Syracuse, UNC v Tenn, Nebraska v Washington, USF v Clemson, Georgia v UCF, Sth Carolina vs Florida State, Alabama v Michigan State, Wisconsin v TCU and Oklahoma v UConn) when my DVR crashed and wiped the Hard drive. I only got to quickly watch the games in bold.

Needless to say I am a little bit pissed.

OHHHHHHHH!!!!! That SUCKS!!!!!! Sorry to hear that buddy!!!!

I was watching Luck and DT Sione Fua on the Stanford side of the ball last night. Luck cemented his #1 overall status if he declares for the draft. Fua was not as strong as I had thought from earlier in the season but still demanded double teams. I have changed my mind about him being a potential NT....seems more likely to play 4-3 DT.

On VT's side....I was watching Rashad Carmichael who did a good job of shutting down Stanfords #1 WR Doug Baldwin (2 catches for 33 yards)...but it initially looked like Carmichael was beat by TE Coby Fleener on a couple of occassions. I think Carmichael and was the victim of poor safety play...making Carmichael and CB Jayron Hosley look like the goat.

Aussie_steeler
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
OHHHHHHHH!!!!! That SUCKS!!!!!! Sorry to hear that buddy!!!!

I was watching Luck and DT Sione Fua on the Stanford side of the ball last night. Luck cemented his #1 overall status if he declares for the draft. Fua was not as strong as I had thought from earlier in the season but still demanded double teams. I have changed my mind about him being a potential NT....seems more likely to play 4-3 DT.

On VT's side....I was watching Rashad Carmichael who did a good job of shutting down Stanfords #1 WR Doug Baldwin (2 catches for 33 yards)...but it initially looked like Carmichael was beat by TE Coby Fleener on a couple of occassions. I think Carmichael and was the victim of poor safety play...making Carmichael and CB Jayron Hosley look like the goat.

Fua looked fast on his feet and covered a lot of space. Unfortunately he didnt look like an immovable object. Luck was outstanding. Carmichael looked like he would fit the steeler CB style.

What did stand out for me was the fact that Stanford has some awesome prospects in 2012 and beyond. Other guys who stood out were;

De Castro ( OG) really stood out for me. Throw in Martin (OT) and there are some good O line prospects.

The two linebackers however were real dynamos. Shane Skov ( ILB) and Chase Thomas (OLB) had beasts of games and they look like serious first round talents in the making on the back of big follow up seasons.

Chidi29
01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately we only get one ESPN channel here. Didnt know about espn3.com. (edit: doesnt work in australia unfortunately)

Thanks chidi

Currently watching Andrew Luck confirm his #1 draft status.

That sucks. At least you have a couple of bowl games left to watch.

I forget if I said this on here or not, but you can go to this youtube account and get a couple games on there. I think there's 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ8prc-BCz4

There are Stanford/Cal games, Pitt/WVU, USC/Washington, a bunch of games from different points in the year. It's been nice to be able to go back and watch or rewatch a couple of prospects.

Chidi29
01-04-2011, 04:30 PM

I agree. Here was my analysis of him last night for anyone interested.

Solid strength though not exceptional. Good job of getting his arms extended. Will get some double teams. Can collapse pocket and force back to help support, letting other blitzers/lineman get free. Suprisingly quick first step and uses his hands well. May tend to wear down. Moved slower, didn't look as good as the game went on.

Texasteel
01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
The next Steeler DE declared for the nfl today. JJ Watts is 6' 6", 295 lbs. and may be the closest thing to Aaron Smith in this draft. It may be just a hope, but a 1st day of Watts, Watkins would put a smile on my face.

Steeltreal
01-07-2011, 08:42 PM
After watching Cameron Heyward he makes Watts looks like Ryan McBean.

The Duke
01-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Has anyone here watched Greg lloyd's son play? Haven't heard much about him other than his injury, but I think he plays DE/OLB?

would be awesome to get another lloyd on the steelers

Another name I'm putting out there is Darren Evans. If Dwyer doesn't work out I'd like to see the steelers pick up this guy later in the draft. I've loved him since watching him tear up maryland in 08. And he picked up the load last year with ryan williams hurt

Texasteel
01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
After watching Cameron Heyward he makes Watts looks like Ryan McBean.

With the draft commitments so far I think there is a good chance either Watts or Cameron may be there when we pick. Since I think all the top flight OTs will be gone, I am leaning in that direction, right now. Three of the top CBs have declared as well, that can only help us.

Texasteel
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I read in a publication, can't remember which on, that NDs 6'4" WR Michael Floyd could still be on his way to the pros, and if so might land close to the Pittburgh pick. With Ward talking retirement, you think we might be interested? He would make a huge red zone weapon.

st33lersguy
01-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I read in a publication, can't remember which on, that NDs 6'4" WR Michael Floyd could still be on his way to the pros, and if so might land close to the Pittburgh pick. With Ward talking retirement, you think we might be interested? He would make a huge red zone weapon.

The steelers do not need a WR, they have drafted three the last two years

Texasteel
01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
The steelers do not need a WR, they have drafted three the last two years

Ward and El may not have much playing time left. I remember many saying we didn't need a RB when we drafted Mendy.

LLT
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Ward and El may not have much playing time left. I remember many saying we didn't need a RB when we drafted Mendy.

A lot of that might be hinged upon if Tomlin has ANY hope that Sweed will ever contribute.

Texasteel
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
A lot of that might be hinged upon if Tomlin has ANY hope that Sweed will ever contribute.

You know that I am one of the only Sweed fans left, but even I am begining to give up all hope.

Chidi29
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
What do you guys think about this year's QB class? Obviously is irrelevant to the team but in general, who do you like/dislike? My rankings change everyday.

I honestly think Nathan Enderle of Idaho could wind up being the best QB of this class.

Aussie_steeler
01-18-2011, 04:49 AM
What do you guys think about this year's QB class? Obviously is irrelevant to the team but in general, who do you like/dislike? My rankings change everyday.

I honestly think Nathan Enderle of Idaho could wind up being the best QB of this class.

Now that Andrew Luck is out of the calculations I think there is a real chance that many QB's will be drafted way ahead of their true value.
A few teams are going to be real cautious when it comes to picking a QB in the first round as none are true top ten talent but if you need one I guess you are going to overpay.

I could see 3 QB's going in the first round ( Gabbert, Newton and Locker) with Mallet going next.

I havent seen much of Cam Newton. Is he more Vince Young or Jamarcus Russel. He definitely has an arm and a set of legs. he has the national championship but does he have a NFL head?

Better value may really lay with the guys like McElroy, Kapernick, Stanzi and Enderle.

Aussie_steeler
01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
East West shrine game reports of interest.

I know you like this guy LLT.

Lehigh OL Will Rackley displayed some natural body control, fluidity and change of direction skills during one-on-one drills today and what was even more impressive was the fact that he was playing at right tackle — the opposite side where he played his college ball the past four seasons. He looked a bit uncoordinated with his punch and didn’t do a great job really extending his arms and gaining leverage on his target. But, his natural movement skills were impressive in my view and I expect him to continue to get better and better throughout the week. He’s an intriguing small-school guy with some upside who can make a roster and possibly fight for playing time with some development.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-2.html

One defensive back who continues to stand out in my mind is Buffalo corner Josh Thomas. He’s a fluid defender who possesses good initial explosion out of his breaks, closes really well and is a tough kid to really separate from in coverage. He, at times, is a bit slow to snap his head around and locate the football, but he’s an intriguing athlete nevertheless with natural balance who has separated himself from most of the corners on the East squad.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/EastWest-Shrine-practice-review-Day-3.html

I also find time to listen to Wes Bunting's Scout talk reports. They are well worth a listen.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scout-Talk-113.html

This week's report has some insight into the shrine game practices

Chidi29
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Bunting has also been high on Justin Rogers. Like I've said on another thread, I don't think he'll be a fit for us, but this kid will make it somewhere as LLT has said.

Chidi29
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Now that Andrew Luck is out of the calculations I think there is a real chance that many QB's will be drafted way ahead of their true value.
A few teams are going to be real cautious when it comes to picking a QB in the first round as none are true top ten talent but if you need one I guess you are going to overpay.

I could see 3 QB's going in the first round ( Gabbert, Newton and Locker) with Mallet going next.

I havent seen much of Cam Newton. Is he more Vince Young or Jamarcus Russel. He definitely has an arm and a set of legs. he has the national championship but does he have a NFL head?

Better value may really lay with the guys like McElroy, Kapernick, Stanzi and Enderle.

I'd completely agree with your first statement. I could see the same with OT. The earliest I would personally mock a QB is 12 to Minnesota and that's partially because Frazier has raved about getting a franchise QB.

I really don't like anyone in this group as I talked about before. I've been trying to come up with an early list, but I almost feel that putting any QB at #1 is misleading. There is not a #1 QB in the class. I should just start with four.

I'm really anti-Gabbert. He's as overhyped as it gets.

Texasteel
01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Heard today that Marvin Austin looked nearly unbelievable today in practice, but just plain refused to answer questions when the week started. Round one talent, round 6 brain. You think he knows he is costing himself money. What an idiot.

Also that Will Rackley is raising some eye brows.

Also that Karl Klug is really helping himself.

I have got to see this game.

Chidi29
01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
It'll be on NFL Network tomorrow. Not sure about the time. I don't get the channel so I didn't both to check into that much. :(

LLT
01-22-2011, 12:24 PM
OG Will Rackley of Lehigh is ranked as low as a 6th rounder on some sites....dont believe it. If we can get him ANYWHERE after the 2nd round...we got a him at a value.

I have had Rackley ranked in the 3rd to 4th round since last November....just heard on NFL.com that those who are watching him at the east/west practice are saying that he is a.....3rd to 4th rounder!!!!

I think Mayock owes me some money.

Chidi29
01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Who is going to be able to watch the game today? I won't be able to....no NFL Network.

LLT
01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Who is going to be able to watch the game today? I won't be able to....no NFL Network.

Stuck at work until 7pm!!!!!

Texasteel
01-22-2011, 01:56 PM

I'm in front of the TV now just waiting. There are a couple of kid I haven't seen that I want to watch. Rackley is probably the main one.

Chidi29
01-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm in front of the TV now just waiting. There are a couple of kid I haven't seen that I want to watch. Rackley is probably the main one.

What was your impression of the game Tex?

Texasteel
01-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Got a little sidetracked and need to take a good look at the tape. But

The TE I thought looked good. Both Thomas and Smith made a couple very good catches. Your right to push Thomas. He looks like he could be red zone weapon that Ben would love.

Rackley I noted pulled several times and looked better at it that Kemo does. I though he looked a little confuse a couple of times but is a real option for us at guard.

Austin is for real. If he has his head clear, answers all the questions the teams are going to ask, and the teams are comfortable with his answers, will likely go in the second round. Even if we don't want him that would push one more DE closer to us.

I went into the game wanting to watch 5 players. Will Rackley OL, Julius Thomas TE, Martin Parker DL, Brandon Bair DL, and Anthony Sherman FB.

Rackley I think a 4th round would not push his way into the starting line up, but would work his way there.

Thomas I did like, but want to what his blocking a little more.

Parker and Bair both look to be 5th round options Parker was very active, but Bair look very solid to me.

Didn't zero in on Sherman like I wanted but not sure if the Steelers would be interested in a kid that is mainly know for his blocking ability.

My boy Klug didn't look bad, Not sure we couldn't turn him into an OLB. He was voted the DL of the year by the Iowa team.

Like I said I do have it taped and plan on going over it several times.

Chidi29
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Yup, Thomas got some good reviews. Draftcountdown said of him...

"Speaking of Portland St. TE Julius Thomas, in my pre-game entry I highlighted him as a player to watch out for and he didn’t disappoint. Honestly, once you get past Kyle Rudolph, Lance Kendricks and Luke Stocker I’m not sure there’s another tight end in this class I'd rather take a chance on. I think Josh Buchanan of JB Scouting might agree. I guarantee Thomas is moving up league draft boards."

Chidi29
01-23-2011, 03:07 PM
I have had Rackley ranked in the 3rd to 4th round since last November....just heard on NFL.com that those who are watching him at the east/west practice are saying that he is a.....3rd to 4th rounder!!!!

I think Mayock owes me some money.

And he has Rackley tied for 5th on his current G/C rankings.

You should definitely bill him.

Chidi29
01-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Senior Bowl is underway!

Ricky Stanzi's build was pretty impressive.

And there's a lot of OT with really long arms. I'll post the rest of my thoughts tomorrow.

Aussie_steeler
01-25-2011, 02:15 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81de50e7/Pioli-and-Dimitroff-on-set-at-Senior-Bowl

It may be a New England Old boys knob gobble fest but it gives an interesting insight into the Tyson Jackson pick and a few other draft philosophies.

Aussie_steeler
01-25-2011, 02:23 AM
Senior Bowl is underway!

Ricky Stanzi's build was pretty impressive.

And there's a lot of OT with really long arms. I'll post the rest of my thoughts tomorrow.

Not sure if you guys are onto these videos but I will put them here for my benefit and maybe some others.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81de4551/Senior-Bowl-QB-Comparison

Kapernick is going to climb the boards over the next few months IMO

Stanzi is going to be a real deal QB in a West Coast Offence if given time to develop. Seems to be a very good intermediate throw QB.

Locker looks like he is a shotgun ( pull the trigger and hope that you either hit or scare your target)

Chidi29
01-25-2011, 03:01 PM
I think I'm warming up on Kaepernick, but I'm not sold on the guy yet.

He is really lanky and that might be even more concerning after finding out that he's only 6'4 and a half instead of 6'6, where you would hope that he could just add some muscle to fill out his frame. He looks like a twig to me.

His decision-making in the red zone is pretty bad. In the five games I watched him, I think he turned the ball over three times in the red zone. A college red zone is about as close to what the NFL will be like on every snap. Throwing windows become tighter, you have to make your reads quicker, and you need to be a good decision-maker. Kaepernick will stare players down, throw the ball up for grabs, and is really a one-read guy inside the 20.

He does have a rocket arm and is pretty accurate, but I'm concerned with what is above the shoulders.

Chidi29
01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
My thoughts on the weigh-ins.

North

James Brewer is very well put together. 6'6, 323 with 35+ inch arms and over an 82 inch wingspan.

Ohio St has small linebackers. Brian Rolle was under 5'10 at the Shrine Game and Ross Homan is just above six feet.

Jaiquwan Jarrett isn't small, but came in a couple inches shorter than listed. Was listed at 6'2, came in just under six feet.

Greg Jones is a small LB. Also just under six feet.

Cam Jordan has huge hands (over 11 inches), long arms (34 1/2), and a huge wingspan (over 82 inches) with a height of 6'4. Those are usually numbers you see from the really big guys. It's impressive.

Kevin Kowalski of Toledo has short arms. 31 1/2 inches.

Austin Pettis looks big. 6'2 200 with ten inch hands.

Ian Williams looks like a T-Rex. Good size but 30 1/2 arms. Not going to be easy for him in the trenches.

South

Allen Bailey is just above 6'3 but has 34 1/2 inch arms and an 82 inch wingspan. He apparently looked great the weigh-in, too.

Noel Devine is just 160. Yikes.

Von Miller has long arms to go along with impressive athletic ability.

Derek Sherrod is a mammoth. 11 inch hands, 35 1/2 inch hands, and almost an 84 inch wingspan.

WR Courtney Smith of South Alabama comes from a small school but looks the part. 6'4 220.

Phil Taylor weighed in at 337 but apparently carried it very well.

LLT
01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Any word on Arizona OLB prospect Brooks Reed?

He is one of my sleepers that I predicted would be drafted in the late 2nd round or early third round when he was ranked as a fifth rounder earlier in the season.....I actually have him rated higher than some of the bigger names.

Aussie_steeler
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Any word on Arizona OLB prospect Brooks Reed?

He is one of my sleepers that I predicted would be drafted in the late 2nd round or early third round when he was ranked as a fifth rounder earlier in the season.....I actually have him rated higher than some of the bigger names.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Practices/South-124.php

Arizona defensive end Brooks Reed was able to get under Sherrod's pads and exploit him with a nice spin move in pit drills.

Here's another link with some good info.
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm

Looks like Cameron Jordan is really making himself some big money this week. According to Wes Bunting he has been more dominant than they could have possibly imagined.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-practice-notes-Day-2.html

LLT
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks Aussie,

In my last draft...I thought that DeMarcus Love might be our 1st round pick....check this out!!!

South roster shows there's quality depth on offensive line
By Pat Kirwan
NFL.com
Jan. 26, 2011

DeMarcus Love, Arkansas -- Love is a guy I watched more than most during the college season. He came here hoping to move from a second-round to a first-round grade. He lined up at left and right tackle as well as at guard. He is accustomed to doing so after playing multiple positions in college because Arkansas used strongside/weakside principles with the offensive line. With that, Love can get in any stance and play. He struggled a bit with a defensive end that used a tug technique that got him off balance and looked better at guard than tackle. I couldn't help but think he would be a perfect fit for the Steelers and their aging, banged-up line.http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81ded4db/article/ailing-steelers-center-pouncey-out-of-super-bowl-linemate-says

Texasteel
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't know guys, I'm starting to get the same feeling that I had about this time last year. I'm starting to think that the only thing that keeps Pouncey out of Pittsburgh, may be Baltimore.

Aussie_steeler
01-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know guys, I'm starting to get the same feeling that I had about this time last year. I'm starting to think that the only thing that keeps Pouncey out of Pittsburgh, may be Baltimore.

I think Baltimore desperately need a WR or two on their squad. Flacco is solid against average teams. Against the steelers he is P*ssywhipped and cant get it done. The only way the ravens can match up is with speedy WR's. Not old possession guys like boldin and TJ Humpshismumma. Otherwise I see them trying to get a speedy CB to match up with "Young Moneys" speed.

Someone will overreach on Pouncey based on the play of his brother. If he is 80% of what Maurkice is then he is still going to be very good.

Texasteel
01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
I think Baltimore desperately need a WR or two on their squad. Flacco is solid against average teams. Against the steelers he is P*ssywhipped and cant get it done. The only way the ravens can match up is with speedy WR's. Not old possession guys like boldin and TJ Humpshismumma. Otherwise I see them trying to get a speedy CB to match up with "Young Moneys" speed.

Someone will overreach on Pouncey based on the play of his brother. If he is 80% of what Maurkice is then he is still going to be very good.

Very good Aussie, I see them going CB myself. I think they will try to sign a OT and shift Yanda back to inside.

I can see Philly as a possibility at 23. They need an OG, and could use a OC. I still think Pouncey is the best guard in the draft, and has spent time at center as well. Seattle could be possible as well. I think the Jets could grab him as well. They could very well use some inside help and that would be about the right area for Mike to go.

If Mike makes it out of the 1st round I could see him coming to Dallas.

I just think he very well could end here. Last year we passed on a very good OT to fill our biggest need with a very good player. This year, I think OG is our biggest need, and again there will be a very good player there to fill it.

I think Mike will be helped by his brother in that teams will figure he will match Maurkice's work ethics, and intelligence.

Aussie_steeler
01-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Depending on the type of blocking employed by teams and their need for an OG I can see three to four main candidates for #1 OG taken.

Power teams will value Pouncey, Ijalana and maybe one of the OT's as a convert ( Carimi???) but my sleeper is still Wisniewski. He is the best OC / OG combo package and will gain value from that.

The second round looks like it is going to have a lot of quality available this year. Another good year for the Pats to rape and pillage with their 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. There is no excuse for not being able to rebuild with that amount of picks.

Texasteel
01-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Seems like I say this every year, but I think I would rather have another 2nd and another late 3rd, early 4th round pick than our 1st rounder.

There is going to be a fist full of DEs, OGs, CBs, and even some quality OTs in the 2nd and 3rd round, and it seems people are still not talking about Ellis.

By the way I caught something about Carmichael getting hurt again yesterday, anyone know anything about that. With the injury hampered year he has had you think he may free fall in the draft.

Aussie_steeler
01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Seems like I say this every year, but I think I would rather have another 2nd and another late 3rd, early 4th round pick than our 1st rounder.

There is going to be a fist full of DEs, OGs, CBs, and even some quality OTs in the 2nd and 3rd round, and it seems people are still not talking about Ellis.

By the way I caught something about Carmichael getting hurt again yesterday, anyone know anything about that. With the injury hampered year he has had you think he may free fall in the draft.

Carmichael update -- http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hokies-journal/2011/01/rashad_carmichael_sits_out_sen.html

Ellis is starting to get some minor comparisons to Haloti Ngata ( mainly for his physical comparison). I would be intrigued to know if the steelers would consider a NT that tall for their system. If I remember correctly Ngata defers the true NT position to kelly gregg who is your typical short stout NT frame.

I am still quite unsure how Ellis would fit in the steeler D line.

LLT
01-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Regardless of what the reports are that are coming out of the Senior Bowl...I have seen enough of DeMarcus Love to think that he could be a very good RT right now and a strong candidate at LT in the future. The bad reviews that he is getting right now will drop him to the late 2nd or mid 3rd round.

I still would like OT Carimi as a first round pick...but I have to wonder if all the better OT's are gone (including Carimi) would it be a good idea to go with a CB in the first (Davon House?...Johney Patrick?) ...OT DeMarcus Love in the 2nd ...DE Jarvis Jenkins in the third and OG Moffit in the 4th?

Chidi29
01-30-2011, 09:59 AM
I admit I haven't watched Love all that closely but I don't think he's much of a prospect. Got mauled by Heyward in the bowl game and looked bad this week. He doesn't look quick enough laterally. Not sure how much of a run blocker he is, too. I know Arkansas would always put him against a defenses best pass rusher.

If you can't pass block or run block....

LLT
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I admit I haven't watched Love all that closely but I don't think he's much of a prospect. Got mauled by Heyward in the bowl game and looked bad this week. He doesn't look quick enough laterally. Not sure how much of a run blocker he is, too. I know Arkansas would always put him against a defenses best pass rusher.

If you can't pass block or run block....

He is getting the same bad press that Bulaga was getting at this time last year.

Some of the experts want to say he is slow...but then turn around and say that he is a solid 2nd round pick. Its about that time for the team scouts to start their smoke screens. I am VERY leary at this time of year about reading anything that contradicts the eyeball test. He looked bad this week...but that was not typical of what I saw all year. I have mentioned it before...but he reminds me A LOT of Marvel Smith. He might not draw Ooh's and Aah's...but he will be a solid and dependable OT.

In regards to Guard prospects...if we go that route in the first round, we HAVE to start thinking about Danny Watkins. I thought he looked great playing OT this year and it looks like his skill set has translated well to OG. He is a little older but might be a good LG prospect...allowing us to move Kemo over to the right side.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Aussie,

In my last draft...I thought that DeMarcus Love might be our 1st round pick....check this out!!!

Yeah, but you know what I said about Love after looking at him in the bowl game...that he looked sloppy and at times looked like a real waist bender. Here is what Tony Pauline posted after Senior Bowl week.

DeMarcus Love/OL/Arkansas: Love entered the season with a grade that placed him among the top senior offensive linemen in the country. That assessment plunged after his performance this week. His technique was pedestrian and opponents took full advantage of the situation. Love was often run over by defenders and left to pick himself off the turf on several occasions. Once considered a possible first-round pick, Love could fall out of the draft's initial 75 selections.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/01/27/senior-bowl-risers-sliders/index.html#ixzz1CXX9DyId

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2011, 11:22 AM
He is getting the same bad press that Bulaga was getting at this time last year.

Some of the experts want to say he is slow...but then turn around and say that he is a solid 2nd round pick. Its about that time for the team scouts to start their smoke screens. I am VERY leary at this time of year about reading anything that contradicts the eyeball test. He looked bad this week...but that was not typical of what I saw all year. I have mentioned it before...but he reminds me A LOT of Marvel Smith. He might not draw Ooh's and Aah's...but he will be a solid and dependable OT.

In regards to Guard prospects...if we go that route in the first round, we HAVE to start thinking about Danny Watkins. I thought he looked great playing OT this year and it looks like his skill set has translated well to OG. He is a little older but might be a good LG prospect...allowing us to move Kemo over to the right side.

Smith was agile and a technician. Love looks like he might be better to push inside. He honestly reminds me of a stronger, but more clumsy Tony Hills...not as good of an athlete, but a better mauler inline blocking. Love could still be there at #64 as a RT prospect.

LLT
01-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Smith was agile and a technician. Love looks like he might be better to push inside. He honestly reminds me of a stronger, but more clumsy Tony Hills...not as good of an athlete, but a better mauler inline blocking. Love could still be there at #64 as a RT prospect.

Totally agree...but that was the finished product. Smith had the same criticisms as Love coming out of college....he dropped into the second round because scouts thought he was a waist bender and too slow for LT (even though he allowed very few sacks his senior year). He played RT for us for 3-4 years before they thought his agility and technique were ready for a move to the left side.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Totally agree...but that was the finished product. Smith had the same criticisms as Love coming out of college....he dropped into the second round because scouts thought he was a waist bender and too slow for LT (even though he allowed very few sacks his senior year). He played RT for us for 3-4 years before they thought his agility and technique were ready for a move to the left side.

I disagree on the Smith eval. I believe that he played RT because Wayne Gandy was an experienced LT and the Steelers didnt want to throw him in the deep end right away. Pretty standard for OT prospects on good teams.

I really dont know if Love will work out as a LT in the NFL. He's a mauler, but not a technician or gifted athlete. Lots of coaching, but at the worst a RT at pick #64 with decent value. I just think Flo Adams, Chris Scott or Jon Scott can all handle the RT spot now. I'd rather take a chance with Brewer than Love at OT.

LLT
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM
I disagree on the Smith eval. I believe that he played RT because Wayne Gandy was an experienced LT and the Steelers didnt want to throw him in the deep end right away. Pretty standard for OT prospects on good teams.

I really dont know if Love will work out as a LT in the NFL. He's a mauler, but not a technician or gifted athlete. Lots of coaching, but at the worst a RT at pick #64 with decent value. I just think Flo Adams, Chris Scott or Jon Scott can all handle the RT spot now. I'd rather take a chance with Brewer than Love at OT.

I used to be high on Brewer...but he seems to be too passive. He also has a history of injuries but I wont hold that against him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2011, 06:33 PM
I used to be high on Brewer...but he seems to be too passive. He also has a history of injuries but I wont hold that against him.

Sure. My thinking is that Brewer has more upside than Love IMO because of his athletic ability. Love doesnt look that agile or have good technique.

Carimi on the other hand impressed me by being efficient in his technique, kind of like Bulaga did last year. Both I think can play LT in the NFL, but their footwork looks like they could end up staying on the Right side.

Texasteel
01-31-2011, 07:52 AM
I've reworked my top three a little. What I would like is to move back into the 2nd round or move up with our 2nd round pick and end up with Pinkston. I still like that kid, I have all year.

Considering that all the 1st round OTs are gone, and I'm starting to see Pouncey headed to Philly.

1. Aaron Williams --- CB, Texas. 6'1" / 195 lb / 4.49. With the influx of DEs and CBs I think he makes it to us. If he went back to school I think he could have been a top 20 - 25 pick, and will be the BAP at a position we need. I believe his 2nd position is FS which we could us as well.

2. Marcus Cannon OT/OG , TCU. 6'5" / 350 lb / 5.34.
Benjamin Ijalana OT/OG, Villanova. 6'4" lb / 5.34. I'm giving you two names because I think these two are very close tallent wish and are very similar players. I think there is a fairly good chance one of them makes it to us in the 2nd round. Big bodies, that love to bury people. Both played OT in school, both would have a tough time with that position in the pros. but could make a hell of an OG which I think is our biggest need right now.

3. Jarvis Jenkins DT/DE , Clemson, 6'5" / 310 / 4.98. A kid that as slid a little in the past couple of months, but has the size we like on the line, with the quickness to play DE for us.

No I haven't given up on an OT but think we may have to look deeper in the draft until next year. There are a couple I am looking at for the 5th or 6th round, we do still have one on the PS.

Texasteel
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Ever year there seems to be a NT that starts to climb in the draft ranking. This year it looks to be Phil Taylor of Baylor, and a great combine may push him higher. I am starting to see a few of mock having us take him at 31. The thought I am hearing is that he can play any position on our 3 man line with a future eye on NT. Hamptons carreer is 10 years old after all. I always liked Taylor but never thought of him as a possible 1st round pick for us.

What do you guys say? You interested in Taylor as a 31st pick?

Aussie_steeler
02-12-2011, 02:38 AM
OK Draft geeks

Found some interesting articles that give insight into the process between now and the draft.

Check these out for an interesting insight from an ex GM - Greg Gabriel

1. What scouts do between now and the combine

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/What-scouts-do-between-now-and-the-Combine.html

2. Scouting the offensive line

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouting-the-Offensive-Line.html

3. Scouting the tight ends and receivers

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Scouting-Tight-Ends-and-Receivers.html

Enjoy the reads - I know I did.

Galax Steeler
02-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Tex I would love to land Aaron Williams I think this is our biggest weakness and it would fill a big void that we are needing in a big way.

Texasteel
02-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I think we will likely go CB in the 1st or the 2nd round, 3rd at the latest, I have my favorites in each of those rounds. Personally I like Aaron's size, but not sure he is more phsical that Brown, and I love Browns ability to close on a WR. I do hope one of them is a steeler next year.

86WARD
02-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Thinking draft...Pouncey or Williams/Harris/Smith at CB. Thinking Phillies baseball...:)

SMR
02-12-2011, 03:56 PM
On top of my neck.

Dino 6 Rings
02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Henry Hynoski

FB from PITT

6'2" 260

That's who I want us to draft somewhere in this draft class.

Texasteel
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Henry Hynoski

FB from PITT

6'2" 260

That's who I want us to draft somewhere in this draft class.

That is a very interesting name Dino. OK, he is not going to out run anyone, but is a powerful back that knows how to block, and has the strength to stop a blitzing LBer in his tracks. The thing I find very interesting is that he has twice as many receptions as he has running attempts. I can't remember for sure but I think his one TD was off a catch. This could make him another goal line weapon. How ever, his main job is to be a blocking back. The one thing that I think works against us is the fact that I believe he go's in the 5th round, and I'm not sure we would use a 5th round pick on, primarily, a blocking FB. Thanks buddy, I think this kid is a hell of a call on your part.

Chidi29
02-19-2011, 09:02 PM
What about Adi Kunalic? He's the Nebraska kickoff specialist. It looks like he's draft eligible.

Didn't add up his 2010 numbers but in his first three years, 39% of his kicks went for touchbacks. He finished his career with at least 120.

Problem is the lack of field goal tries. Only one attempt in his college career. Most of his experience came in high school and even then, we're talking 20 attempts max.

I'm not a proponent of using a roster spot on a player that is just a kickoff specialist, but if the guy can kick, what's not to love?

Aussie_steeler
02-20-2011, 01:11 AM
What about Adi Kunalic? He's the Nebraska kickoff specialist. It looks like he's draft eligible.

Didn't add up his 2010 numbers but in his first three years, 39% of his kicks went for touchbacks. He finished his career with at least 120.

Problem is the lack of field goal tries. Only one attempt in his college career. Most of his experience came in high school and even then, we're talking 20 attempts max.

I'm not a proponent of using a roster spot on a player that is just a kickoff specialist, but if the guy can kick, what's not to love?

If the season is stretched out to 18 games I could see a roster expansion to somewhere around 56. Depending on the number of players who could dress come game day it could be a viable option.

Until then I dont think it would be a viable option

LLT
02-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm watching some film on OT/OG Clint Boling from Georgia (6'5 310 lbs)...I think he is underrated. He could get deeper into his knee bend but I wouldnt call him a waist bender by any means. Looks agile and has a good hand punch. It seems that everytime I see him having trouble its because he starts to get too high. I think that since he isnt bending at the waist....that might be correctable.

He has a late 3rd round rating...and might be a steal if he drops lower than that. Even if he cant play LT...he might be a very good RT or OG.