PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall grows into complete NFL running back

stillers4me
10-23-2010, 11:59 AM
By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Last updated: 9:11 am

Rashard Mendenhall's production this season tells a story of high risk and reward.
His ability to handle a heavy workload during quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's four-game suspension changed the Steelers from a passing team to a running team. Mendenhall is averaging an NFL-most 23.2 carries, and he's nursing a shoulder contusion than he said won't prevent him from starting Sunday at Miami.

The quick start has featured large doses of a back who previously ran with more finesse than force but now consistently hits the hole with power.

"This year, you see the guy they drafted: the dynamic speed, the ability to cut and bounce and hit outside, and then also the great cut-back ability," Cleveland defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said of Mendenhall, who rushed 27 times for 84 yards and a touchdown against the Browns last week. "He's a tremendous football player like he was in college."..............

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705691.html

SteelerFanInStl
10-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd like to see Mendy get more receptions out of the backfield. He's shown himself to be a very good receiver and I think that we need to use that ability more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I thought he was the #2 NFL back in the draft, next to Jonathan Stewart. I was wrong.............he's probably #2 next to Chris Johnson with Stewart, Forte, in the mix and Darren McFadden a bit further back.

Good back, just need to get him a complimentary back, hopefully Dwyer or Redman grows into that in a hurry.

tube517
10-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I thought he was the #2 NFL back in the draft, next to Jonathan Stewart. I was wrong.............he's probably #2 next to Chris Johnson with Stewart, Forte, in the mix and Darren McFadden a bit further back.

Good back, just need to get him a complimentary back, hopefully Dwyer or Redman grows into that in a hurry.

This.

Mendy is on pace for 350+ carries. That is a concern. Once you go over 350 carries in the NFL, your career is shortened

SteelerFanInStl
10-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Redman or Dwyer can easily take some of that load off of Mendy. I'd like to see Redman get some more carries now.

Count Steeler
10-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm sure as Ben gets back in the groove, Ariens will shift his focus a little. I expect to see more of a 50/50 split for the remainder of the season.

JayC
10-23-2010, 07:45 PM
i like mendy but i sure would like to see more redman it seems he is almost always good for 3 or more yards. i have more trust in redman on a 3rd and 1 then mendy but like i said mendy is good i just want more redman

T&B fan
10-23-2010, 08:29 PM
this yr even with the browns game we are +50 run -V- pass... at the end of last yr +108 pass -V- run .. even with Ben back we ran +8 . I for one hope this trend continues .. its not a big deference just a little more running

pepsyman1
10-23-2010, 09:17 PM
It's just in the last couple of games that Mendi is looking like the back I was hoping he'd turn into. In the last 2 or 3 games I've seen him start HITTING people when he realized that contact was coming. Before that, it always looked like he was trying to dance around it...even when there was no place to go...he'd even do his spin move when he had basically come to a forward stop. Now, once he realizes that he's gotta just squeeze it thru whatever opening (or lack of) that there is, he's lowering his shoulder and plowing through. The willingness to just explode forward regardless is giving him more chances at big runs.

Galax Steeler
10-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Mendenhall is really looking good this year he is hitting the holes hard. Like someone else stated above he is making contact with his tacklers instead of trying to avoid them.

SMR
10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Redman or Dwyer can easily take some of that load off of Mendy. I'd like to see Redman get some more carries now.

u read my mind

SteelerFanInStl
10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Most people don't realize how little experience Mendy had and how young he was when the Steelers drafted him. He's still learning and I think that he's going to continue to get better.

Hindes204
10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I think with Ben back he will get less carries. I hope they don't abandon the run, but I think mendy will stay healthy longer with a lighter workload

Steeltreal
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM
They are showing Rashard taking a dancing class on ESPN sunday countdown