PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward helping out Mike Wallace

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
James Walker: On the Radar

Last offseason, a surprise rookie from Ole Miss flashed tremendous speed and reliable hands during Pittsburgh Steelers' practice.

Mike Wallace had 39 catches for 756 yards and six touchdowns during his rookie season.Several months later, third-round pick Mike Wallace introduced himself to the rest of the NFL with a standout season, recording 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns.

This year, Wallace has been arguably the best receiver for the Steelers during practices with Hines Ward coaching from the sidelines. Wallace routinely makes plays now that he's getting more opportunities with the first-team offense. With Santonio Holmes traded to the New York Jets, it will be important for Pittsburgh's second-year standout to make the jump from a backup receiver to a starter.

Wallace owes a lot of his quick development to Ward, who remains in his ear during practices. Like Plaxico Burress and Holmes in the past, Ward knows how important it is to have two productive receivers in Pittsburgh’s offense.

"Anything I do, he's watching," Wallace said of Ward this week. "So it's kind of hard to be perfect with Hines out here."

Wallace continues to work on his routes; route-running was the knock on him coming out of college. Pittsburgh utilized Wallace's strengths last year by making him a deep threat as the third receiver. But this season Wallace must be more polished running short and intermediate routes as a starter.

Timing also is something to watch in training camp. Wallace and the receivers are working with Ben Roethlisberger, who has a conditional six-game suspension, as well as Byron Leftwich on the first team this spring. Dennis Dixon also is expected to get a chance to work with the starters at some point, as the team figures out how to divide snaps.

"They're all good quarterbacks, so it doesn't really matter to me," Wallace said. "Anyone of them lines up, I'll be ready to go."

Wallace is confident that he's ready to step into the starting role. Based on last season and his steady growth this offseason, there's no reason for the Steelers to think otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... ke-wallace

steelpride12
06-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Im so glad Wallace has someone like Ward to watch over him and learn how to play the position. Ward is the perfect player and being the Veteran and deserved HOF candidate to give him all the advice he can get. I look for Wallace to improve from now on.

BuddhaBus
06-03-2010, 04:07 PM
He's in great hands with Ward. Hopefully Hines will also be able to teach Wallace how to level LBs and DBs just like him. I really hope the Ward hard-nosed legacy lives on in another WR on the team. I sure would love to continue seeing some more Ravens defensive players laid out by Steelers' WRs after Ward decides to hang it up.

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Lets hope they both stay healthy

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
He's in great hands with Ward. Hopefully Hines will also be able to teach Wallace how to level LBs and DBs just like him. I really hope the Ward hard-nosed legacy lives on in another WR on the team. I sure would love to continue seeing some more Ravens defensive players laid out by Steelers' WRs after Ward decides to hang it up.

Limas Sweed's hit on Corey Ivy was one of his few shining moments...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/SXUWqGW8rQI/AAAAAAAAU34/FdTBLQ8FtJY/s400/corey-ivy-limas-sweed.jpg

xX-TSK-Xx
06-03-2010, 04:32 PM
I really hope Ward will stay on as a coach once his playing days are over. I have to think he has contributed, in some fashion, to the success guys like Holmes, Wallace and Plex. Hopefully he can continue to work his magic on Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown.

BuddhaBus
06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Limas Sweed's hit on Corey Ivy was one of his few shining moments...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/SXUWqGW8rQI/AAAAAAAAU34/FdTBLQ8FtJY/s400/corey-ivy-limas-sweed.jpg

That was a hell of a hit! I really thought after seeing that, that Limas would rebound and become a beast. So far, it hasn't happened. I really hope Limas can come back from his injury and FINALLY turn the corner for us (IF he gets another opportunity). I was really pulling for the kid, but he just seems to be cursed. Hopefully he's just a REALLY late bloomer like Nate Washington. :pray:

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
This is where I love how Hines Ward plays the game and helps out the young kids. On the other side of the coin is a guy like Brett Favre, who never imparts knowledge to young guys that play behind him like Aaron Rodgers, Tarvarias Jackson or JD Booty. Hines is all class.

Galax Steeler
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Ward will make a great mentor for Wallace. Ward is the total package when it come to and all around receiver. He can block and will go over the middle without being afraid of getting hit and hopefully Wallace will follow those footsteps.

SMR
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
You really can't have a better and more passionate wide receiver "coach" than Psycho himself! whooo hoooo!

SMR
06-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Lets hope they both stay healthy

Dude, I totally dig your avatar! Nice touch!

SCSTILLER
06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
I really hope Ward will stay on as a coach once his playing days are over. I have to think he has contributed, in some fashion, to the success guys like Holmes, Wallace and Plex. Hopefully he can continue to work his magic on Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown.

I remember an article a few years back during Holmes rookie year that was almost identical to this article. Ward has been known to take the rookies under his wing and teach them the nuances of the nfl. Let's just hope that Wallace stays away from the ganja

Psycho Ward 86
06-04-2010, 04:57 PM
This is where I love how Hines Ward plays the game and helps out the young kids. On the other side of the coin is a guy like Brett Favre, who never imparts knowledge to young guys that play behind him like Aaron Rodgers

wait, WHAT