PDA

View Full Version : "That's football" says Ward

Wallace108
10-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Was there any doubt about how Hines feels about the hard hits? :noidea:
------

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Generally speaking, there are two reactions among players to the NFL's new, get-tough policy on hits to the head. Offensive players -- especially wide receivers and running backs -- are in favor of it and welcome the extra protection. Defensive players -- especially linebackers and defensive backs -- think it's ridiculous and worry that the pro game will be ruined.

Then, there is Hines Ward. He is a linebacker trapped in a wide receiver's body. You might think he is conflicted. But he's not. Not even a little bit.

"It's ridiculous," Ward said Thursday. "You can't take the roughness out of football."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10295/1097187-87.stm#ixzz134CbtBa1

GoSlash27
10-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Hines Ward for Prez! :D

steeldevil
10-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Thats Hines for ya!

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Hines Ward, a WR that's not a pussy. :lol:

Polamalu Princess
10-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Hines is right! It is a rough game for big boys.

Devilsdancefloor
10-22-2010, 06:20 PM
gotta love hines attitude! Plus he is so right about having to sit down running across the middle isnt for everyone!

NJarhead
10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Love that guy!

Psycho Ward 86
10-22-2010, 07:29 PM
There's a reason why a banner with the words "PSYCHO WARD" is present in the front row at most home games....

ALLD
10-23-2010, 07:17 AM
He can handle the truth.

See, when you are at the top people always try to knock you down. This season we have plenty of people at the top and they are being systematically targeted. I think the only reason Polamalu gets a free pass is because of the Head & Shoulders commercials. He is corporate friendly and good for ratings outside of Pittsburgh.

silver & black
10-23-2010, 08:25 AM
He can handle the truth.

See, when you are at the top people always try to knock you down. This season we have plenty of people at the top and they are being systematically targeted. I think the only reason Polamalu gets a free pass is because of the Head & Shoulders commercials. He is corporate friendly and good for ratings outside of Pittsburgh.

Maybe, but I think it probably has more to do with his soft spoken personality and the fact that he is without a doubt one of, if not THE best FOOTBALL PLAYER playing the game today. I'm an opposing fan and I still love to watch the guy play... except when he's killing my team. :chuckle:

ALLD
10-23-2010, 08:34 AM
I would like to see a play in garbage time where James Harrison taps the WR on the shoulder or two-hand touches him below the waist. Then waives to him as he runs and scores.

Aussie_steeler
10-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Here is Foolio's take on Hines Ward's perspectives. I would expect nothing different from the talking sphincter.

We didn't expect Steelers receiver Hines Ward (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=701), the master of the blind-side jaw-breaking ear-hole de-cleater, to speak out in favor of the new focus on the enforcement of the rules regarding hits to the head (or with the head) against defenseless receivers.

But we didn't think Ward would be so creative in justifying the illegal hits from teammate James Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=665) and Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2774).

Ward blames the quarterbacks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/23/hines-ward-blames-mccoy-kolb-for-big-hits-to-their-wideouts/

I love the perspective of a non-footballer, such as this

Regarding Ward's broader point, the fact that the quarterbacks led their guys into big hits doesn't matter. The receivers, while defenseless, are still not to be hit in the head or with the head. It's that simple. There's no "rookie quarterback" or "guy who's starting for Jacksonville five years since his last start" exception.

This issue is becoming a rallying point for all the people who have hated the steelers organisation. It is their chance to vent against the big bad black and gold organisation that has broke their hearts for ever.

Absolutely no consideration for the human factor, that perfection is unobtainable and there is always going to be human error.

I have played a lot of football in Australia, never with a helmet and always protected by laws that make the head untouchable. And guess what, occasionally you get hit in the head. And most of the time it was my fault. A slip at the critical moment. A case of poor judgement thinking I could do more than was on offer. Sometimes just through fatigue and reacting too slowly. Sometimes I was the recipient because my opponent demonstrated the same human qualities that I did.

When the pure emotion is taken out of this issue it will be found that it will be almost impossible to police correctly on the field. Players will be fined and punished by review committee. It will evolve into the system we use in Australia for all 4 football codes.

1. Review panel cites players and grades the offence
2. Players can accept the punishment or appeal. (If you lose the appeal you get a higher punishment. eg 2 week early plea, 4 week if you lose appeal. Most players just accept the punishment)
3. Whilst suspended a player remains and trains with the team.
4. Each time you appear before the review panel your history adds weight to your grading and punishment.

Get ready to move into the over regulated era of football designed entirely to be palatable for the TV audience, that desires to attract more mothers (and their young kids) to the game. Sanitised and sterilised football that produces lots of points and opportunities to jump up and down and cheer.