PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: Make best of 'second chance'

polamalubeast
06-03-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iP-BtJ3bxItDKyPsjvLXI5B8KfmAD9G3U62O0

Roethlisberger: Make best of 'second chance'
By ALAN ROBINSON (AP) – 1 hour ago

PITTSBURGH — Ben Roethlisberger says he needs to be smarter about making decisions in his life and is working closely with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to make the best of his "second chance" in football.

The Steelers quarterback talked publicly Thursday for the first time since drawing a six-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy. He did not apologize for his actions in a Georgia nightclub, where a college student accused him of sexually assaulting her. But he said he has spent the last two months rethinking his life and the type of person he wants to be.

"I've put a lot of thought into my life, the decisions that I've made in the past," Roethlisberger said. "I've been sitting at home thinking about things, and I've been working closely with the commissioner on ways to make changes, corrections. I'm looking forward to the second chance and the second opportunity — not just in football, because I think everybody knows what you're going to get (from me) in football, but in life. I think that's kind of what's more important."

Roethlisberger offered no specifics about his dealings with Goodell, who ordered him to undergo an evaluation before clearing him to take part in the Steelers' final few spring practices, which end June 10.

"(I'm) evaluating what I need to do, and be smarter when it comes to certain things," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger can take part in training camp and preseason games, but cannot practice during his suspension. Goodell has the option of trimming the suspension to four games.

Roethlisberger spoke briefly at the end of a Steelers voluntary practice, then took two questions before a team publicist cut off the news conference. Neither question dealt with the Georgia incident, which led to no criminal charges but shamed the two-time Super Bowl winner and caused a dramatic drop in his popularity with the Steelers' large fan base.

Coach Mike Tomlin says the team is working closely with the two-time Super Bowl winner to help him straighten out his life.

"I've spent a lot of time evaluating and looking at my life both on and off the field," Roethlisberger said. "I think this is a time for me to kind of close the chapter of the last couple of years of my life and move on to a new one, kind of a new start. I'm kind of really excited about it."

Roethlisberger, who was known for frequenting nightclubs with an entourage of friends, did not specify what changes he is making.

"Well, a lot of them are personal things, which is just something that I need to do," Roethlisberger said of his lifestyle changes. "But it's been neat being able to really reevaluate my life and spend time with my family and kind of reevaluate and refigure what's important in life. ... It's a new chapter and I'm looking forward to it and it starts with football and I'm glad to be back out here."

SteelerSal
06-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Found this article by Ed B.

Roethlisberger speaks, says he wants to make changes
Thursday, June 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger today spoke publicly for the first time since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him six weeks ago.

Roethlisbeger, who rejoined his Steelers teammates Tuesday after Goodell granted him permission, spoke briefly to a gaggle of news media after practice on the field at the team's training facility on the South Side.

He then took two questions before a spokesman ended the quick interview session.

Here is the transcript:

Roethlisberger: "I appreciate it guys. I know you guys have been waiting for a long time to talk to me as I have to you. I just wanted to make a quick, let you guys know how good it is to be back on the field. It's been a long time away, it's been hard but I put a long time and effort and working hard both on and off the field while I've been gone. It's not the same, I love football to death. But I think it's meant more to be out here with my teammates, my brothers, my family, if you will. So that's what has really been neat about being back out here.

"I've put a lot of thought into my life, decisions that I've made in the past that I've been sitting at home thinking about things. I've been working closely with the commissioner on ways to make changes, corrections. So, I'm looking forward to the second chance and a second opportunity, not just in football because I think everyone knows what you're going to get in football, but in life. I think that's what's kind of more important.

"Like I said I'm happy to be back out here, even kind of happy to see you guys again. So, maybe I'll take a question or two."

Q: You got a lot of public support from your teammates; do you see this as a new beginning?

Roethlisberger: "Yeah, it's been great to read and hear from those guys, not just text messages and calls they send to me but to read the things in the media they said. So I say it's great to be out here with my brothers because they really are family to me. Like I said, I spent a lot of time evaluating and looking at my life both on and off the field. I think this is time for me to kind of close the chapter of the last couple years of my life and move on to a new one, kind of a new start. I'm kind of really excited about it."

Q: What kind of changes are you talking about that you want to make?

Roethlisberger: "A lot of them are personal things, you know, which is just something that I need to do. But it's been neat being able to really re-evaluate my life and spend time with my family and kind of re-evaluate and re-figure what's important in my life. That's me ... evaluating what I need to do and be smarter when it comes to certain things. Like I said it's a new chapter and I'm looking forward to it and it starts with football. I'm glad to be back here ... I'll be talking to you guys a lot more."

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for the first six games of the season but said he would reduce it to four if the quarterback follows a path the commissioner has laid out for him. Goodell took the action based on a sexual assault claim by a woman in Georgia in the early morning hours of March 5. Authorities did not charge Roethlisberger with a crime and the woman later asked them not to pursue a case against him.

venom
06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Just win now . We need a few more of these...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/Si-SomajW8I/AAAAAAAAXqM/RTB3-pQmEdA/s400/0610sbrings-a.jpg

Devilsdancefloor
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I really hope he make the best of the second chance he is getting

BigNastyDefense
06-03-2010, 02:04 PM
He better make the best of this. No more partying with college chicks. If you go out to a club or something, keep the VIP section VIP. Keep it in your damn pants unless it's in your own house, and then get her to sign a written consent form.

steelerdude15
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I believe that this was his wake up call and I feel that he will make himself a better person. It's good to hear he's coming to practice slimmer and looking better (I bet he feels better as well). You can only hope for the best and I'm sure he'll make the best of it. I will say one thing... if he wins another Super Bowl, people are going to shut up.

Killer
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
He did not apologize for his actions in a Georgia nightclub

Why should he? He did nothing wrong.

Prok
06-03-2010, 03:24 PM
He did not apologize for his actions in a Georgia nightclub

Why should he? He did nothing wrong.

Ahhh different board but Killer is STILL my fav poster. lol

Seriously, Ben will be fine and our team will be better for going through this crap storm. Watch and see.

BlastFurnace
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Ben thrives when he has something to prove. I have no doubts in my mind that he will have a great 15 game season this year....12 Regular Season, 2 Playoffs, 1 Super Bowl.

Go Ben

siss
06-03-2010, 08:53 PM
You know steel has to go through fire before it can be formed!

I hope this is as close to the fire as he gets...

Shea
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I noticed today that he was smiling when dealing with the press, something I don't recall much of him doing in the past. Usually, you can read the disgust and lack of patience on his face in previous situations.

And I liked some of things he had to say, hopefully we actually will see a new person from here on out. Yet, I'm still skeptical .....

Shea
06-03-2010, 09:54 PM
You know steel has to go through fire before it can be formed!

I hope this is as close to the fire as he gets...

I like your analogy here.

And I hope as well.

kmsteelerwr15
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
I really hope he does turn it around. I believe he can but we really never know but I'll not only be rooting for him on the field anymore, it's time to start rooting for him off the field.

SteelersinCA
06-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I wish the best for him but I would point out this is his third chance.

BigNastyDefense
06-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I wish the best for him but I would point out this is his third chance.

How so? He's never been suspended before.

Steelman
06-04-2010, 03:07 AM
I think he's closer to having been to hell and back if you combine everything he's done or gone through since he came into the league.

He's a stubborn fool. But that's what also makes him the football player that he is. Hopefully this is a sincere desire to truly change his personal life to stay out of all the unwanted kinds of limelight.

He's already gotten us two rings. I expect to see a few more.

SteelMember
06-04-2010, 07:03 AM
So since Ben gets his chance to redeem himself from the team and the league, are the fans as willing?

Here is another PG poll. If I remember correctly, another poll asking if he should be cut/traded had an overwhelming percentage calling to cut ties. So far, this one seems to be going in the other direction. I wonder what now has people changing their minds. :noidea:

I'll give you a chance Ben. How about everyone else? Vote at the link below.

Will you give Ben Roethlisberger a second chance to rehabilitate himself and his image?

Category: Steelers
Voting began on 6/3/2010
Voting ends on 6/6/2010

A.Yes
B.No
C.Undecided

http://www.post-gazette.com/polls/default.asp?pollID=3666

VT Tony
06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Here is another PG poll. If I remember correctly, another poll asking if he should be cut/traded had an overwhelming percentage calling to cut ties. So far, this one seems to be going in the other direction. I wonder what now has people changing their minds. :noidea:

Maybe it is just the passage of time? Emotional reactions are usually strongest when the news first breaks.

If he's sincere about changing, then I would give him a second chance. Not sure if I would have said the same a few weeks ago.

Killer
06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree 100%.

Ben needs to find a nice local girl and settle down.

http://realorgasmteens.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/gallery2.jpg

wvsportsman
06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I voted yes, and I really am hoping he does what he says ,but he has got to walk the walk ,not just talk the talk!

Prok
06-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I believe Ben and the team will be fine. He's certainly not the first to make mistake nor will he be the last. I'm over it and moved on.

Killer
06-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Like a jilted lover.

stillers4me
06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Maybe it is just the passage of time? Emotional reactions are usually strongest when the news first breaks.

If he's sincere about changing, then I would give him a second chance. Not sure if I would have said the same a few weeks ago.

2 months ago, if Ben had pulled an entire family and their dog out of a burning building, people would have said it wouldn't be enough

Today they would say it's a good start.

Things are looking up. :tt02:

ChosenOne
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM
I really hope he does amazing and shuts up the critics. This could be bias but I still don't think his suspension is deserved, especially considering he was never proven guilty or charged for anything.

urgle burgle
06-05-2010, 04:56 AM
As someone who has had many chances to "fix" themselves over the years....we will see if the proof is in the pudding. Im not going to condemn him for his actions over this past few years, but I will not condone them either. I cannot condone my actions over time either. Things have a way of slipping past you, in the moment, or otherwise. You try and learn from them, understand how your actions affected those you care about, or other things. Try and do better. Try not to put yourself in those same situations. He had a lot more options than I, or us, ever have had. This might be his "breaking point", his epipheral moment. I hope so. Sometimes you have to hit bottom before you come back up. That bottom is different for everyone. Hopefully this is as far as a bottom he ever has to go. One of the things I have loved over the years of being a Steelers fan, is that we do things the right way. Or what is at least thought of as the right way. I dont want that to change. You have to have a standard. If the standard is broken, everything else is tainted. In my past, the only thing that saved me was that, my superiors knew my heart was in the right direction, and that I performed exeptionally, continously. I learned from those things. I would have excepted otherwise, knowing that I had messed up. I guess we shall see, in week five.

solardave
06-05-2010, 05:07 AM
2 months ago, if Ben had pulled an entire family and their dog out of a burning building, people would have said it wouldn't be enough

Today they would say it's a good start.

Things are looking up. :tt02:

And if one of the family members happened to be a college age girl better leave her alone.