PDA

View Full Version : Merril Hoge: Voice of reason.

siss
10-21-2010, 12:57 PM
http://podcast.clearchannel.com.edgesuite.net/PITTSBURGH-PA/WDVE-FM/Meril%20NFL%20Hits.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=PITTSBURGH-PA&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=1734&STATION_ID=WDVE-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=WDVE-FM&PCAST_CAT=Comedy&PCAST_TITLE=The_Best_of_Morning_Show_on_WDVE

Listen to what he has to say about the rule. IF this is the case, then PERHAPS the NFL isn't wrong on this and MAYBE James is whining a tad (although I do think the fine was a bit much...but then again so was a 4 game suspension).

stlrtruck
10-21-2010, 01:26 PM
While he makes sense and is a voice of reason in this, it is very difficult to use reason when the people in charge don't do it either. I'm just sayin'

But the problem I have with what Hoge is saying is that even if Harrison were target a specific zone and then the player being targeted moves, thusly redefining the zone, who is now responsible for the hit? No one has yet to say that both players moved their original body position that James was going after, and once that player repositions, it creates an opportunity for a vicious and/or devastating hit. And now the defensive player is now responsible for what the offensive player.

Steeldude
10-21-2010, 02:50 PM
you aren't always in a position to make the NFL's perfect tackle. players are leaning, running, jumping and diving in a split second. you cannot adjust that fast to correct your tackles. if you do then you just might miss the tackle.

if you don't like the concussions then play baseball. these players all went to college. they could always retire and fall back on their college educations. for those players who were too lazy or dumb to hit the books in college then you are up s***creek. go apply for wal-mart.

that being said, i can understand how some hits should be banned. like a late hit on a defenseless player and so on. what harrison did is football plain and simple. there was nothing malicious.

if it was really that bad then why does the NFL deliberately try to make money off of it by releasing videos called "big hits" etc...?

fansince'76
10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
you aren't always in a position to make the NFL's perfect tackle. players are leaning, running, jumping and diving in a split second. you cannot adjust that fact to correct your tackles. if you do then you just might miss the tackle.

if you don't like the concussions then play baseball. these players all went to college. they could always retire and fall back on their college educations. for those players who were too lazy or dumb to hit the books in college then you are up s***creek. go apply for wal-mart.

that being said, i can understand how some hits should be banned. like a late hit on a defenseless player and so on. what harrison did is football plain and simple. there was nothing malicious.

if it was really that bad then why does the NFL deliberately try to make money off of it by releasing videos called "big hits" etc...?

This. :applaudit:

cold-hard-steel
10-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I have to believe if the play would have had a flag called on it,then go ahead and dibby up the fine.To fine someone when there was not even a flag thrown,is where i get lost. So the play was ok on the field during the game,but then when the game is over,Mr.Dickwell can impose a fine anyway? Something smells there.

GBMelBlount
10-21-2010, 07:31 PM
you aren't always in a position to make the NFL's perfect tackle. players are leaning, running, jumping and diving in a split second. you cannot adjust that fast to correct your tackles. if you do then you just might miss the tackle.

You nailed it Dude....GREAT post.

GitNoLuv
10-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I have to believe if the play would have had a flag called on it,then go ahead and dibby up the fine.To fine someone when there was not even a flag thrown,is where i get lost. So the play was ok on the field during the game,but then when the game is over,Mr.Dickwell can impose a fine anyway? Something smells there.

That's not always the case. Sometimes the refs miss calls. The fine was absolutely excessive (as was the 4-game suspension on a guy never charged with a crime.)