PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offseason Review

BPS3akaWirels3
06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
http://www.footballfanspot.com/pittsburghsteelers.htm

Pittsburgh Steelers Offseason Preview
http://s9.addthis.com/button1-share.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php)
Debate the Pittsburgh Steelers' offseason needs in The Football Fan Forum (http://www.footballfanspot.com/apps/forums/topics/show/2122206-pittsburgh-steelers)
Last season: 9-7
Draft:
#18 C Maurkice Pouncey (Florida)
Here’s my deal with Pouncey. He was regarded as a third round prospect in January. He hasn’t played since January and his workouts weren’t terribly impressive. He has good physical upside, but he didn’t play up to that at Florida last year. Alex Mack is tons and tons better than he is and Mack was only drafted at 21 last year as a center. The only things I like about this pick are that he fits their scheme like a glove and the Steelers are finally focusing on offensive line help. Pouncey has the upside to be a future starter at guard, as well as center, and possibly right tackle, but he wasn’t worth this pick.
Grade: C-
#52 RLB Jason Worilds (Virginia Tech)
Worilds certainly has the upside to be worth this slot, and, though I would have prefered for them to focus on the secondary or the offensive line, this pick makes sense. They really don’t have a lot of depth behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley and Worilds won’t have to play right away and should be able to develop into a good prospect.
Grade: B-
#82 WR Emmanuel Sanders (SMU)
I don’t get this. The Steelers traded Santonio Holmes for a 5th rounder because of his character issues, which is all good and fine, but then they use a 3rd rounder on his replacement and take Sanders, who was suspended for 2 games in his junior year for a disagreement with his coach and a bad attitude. On top of that, Sanders is a spread receiver who didn’t face tough competition and doesn’t come from a scheme that translates to the NFL and shouldn’t have been drafted before the 5th or 6th.
Grade: D
#116 RLB Thaddeus Gibson (Ohio State)
Gibson fits the range, but how many pass rushers do the Steelers need. What do they plan do about their offensive line or secondary, or their old defensive line?
Grade: D
#151 OT Chris Scott (Tennessee)
Scott is a traditional Steelers’ offensive lineman, big, mauler. There were better offensive linemen available, but I can see why they’d like Scott and I like that they are addressing a need again.
Grade: B
#164 CB Crezdon Butler (Clemson)
Steelers take a high upside cornerback, which is good because Bryant McFadden is average at best.
Grade: A
#166 MLB Stevenson Sylvester (Utah)
Sylvester fits the range, but not necessarily the scheme, though if I am wrong about him not fitting the scheme, he would provide some decent depth. He can also help on special teams.
Grade: B-
#188 RB Jonathan Dwyer (http://www.footballfanspot.com/jonathandwyer.htm) (Georgia)
I have critcized Dwyer a lot, but even I am surprised to see someone as athletic as him down here. At the very least, he’s a fullback/short yardage back, but the Steelers may have found a good physcial back to compliment Rashad Mendenhall, which would get them back to smashmouth football behind a line that is also getting more and more physical.
Grade: A
#195 WR Antonio Brown (Central Michigan)
This pick was probably made so that Brown would help them as a kick returner, because he’s not much of a receiver, but he isn’t that great of a kick returner so I don’t even think he helps there. He’s mostly a depth guy and possibly a starting kick returner.
Grade: C-
#242 3-4 DE Doug Worthington (Ohio State)
The Steelers obviously must have not viewed 3-4 defensive end as a need this offseason, even with their lack of youth at the position, as shown by the fact that they didn’t take one until the 7th. This probably means they’ll be focusing on the position next offseason. For now, Worthington is a decent depth guy who appears to be a natural fit for a 3-4. I didn’t have him getting drafted, but there is something there with him.
Grade: B
Overall:
The Steelers did a few things I liked, namely adding some smashmouth blockers to the offensive line and drafting a good complimentary power back. However, there was also not a lot to like. With few exceptions, every one of the Steelers’ picks was either a reach or didn’t fill a need. They didn’t add youth to the defense in any necessary way, with the exception of Crezdon Butler and Jason Worilds, and they made a bunch of weird reaches.
Grade: C
Key undrafted free agents
RLB Lindsey Witten (Connecticut)
OT Kyle Jolly (North Carolina)
S Damon Cromartie-Smith (UTEP)
Positions of need:
Offensive Tackle:
In 15 starts, Big Ben was sacked 50 times. He had one bad concussion and suffered an arm injury in the season finale, which could have cost him some playoff starts should the Steelers have made the playoffs. Willie Colon, their right tackle, was recently called their best offensive lineman. He gave up 6 sacks last year. He’s a strong run blocker, but not good against the pass rush and should really be moved to guard. Max Starks, at left tackle, gave up 9 sacks and he could also be upgraded or at least moved to right tackle. The Steelers really should look at a left tackle in the first round, but the Steelers never reach for offensive lineman and they may have to if Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, and Bruce Campbell are off the board by 18. Instead, they may look at a left guard, Mike Iupati, at 18, and look for a tackle later. Their offensive line as a whole has to be upgraded majorly this offseason. Big Ben can’t keep taking 50 sacks a season or he’ll be out of the league in a few years.
Drafted Chris Scott (#151)
Offensive Guard:
Again, the offensive line needs to be upgrade this offseason. I can’t stress that enough. If the Steelers take a tackle and move Colon to right guard, they’ll still need an upgrade at left tackle. Given his size, Mike Iupati will be strongly considered at 18. They’ll also consider Maurkice Pouncey in the 2nd. I would be very surprised if they didn’t take an offensive lineman with one of their first two picks, despite their defensive needs.
Safety:
Over the last two season, the Steelers allowed 10 more points per game in games Troy Polamalu plays as opposed to games in which he does not. Their record with him, 19-5. Their record without him, 5-6. He should be back next season, but their lack of safety depth next to him is very apparent. If Earl Thomas falls to them at 18, they’ll strongly consider him. If not, they should use a 2nd-4th round pick on a safety because of how deep this safety class is. They are almost sure to have one fall to them that’s a steal at some point in those 3 rounds.
Nose Tackle:
Casey Hampton is a free agent this offseason. Even if he resigns, he will be 33 when next season starts so they’ll need a future replacement. If they have a nose tackle drop to them in the first, like Dan Williams or Terrence Cody, they should consider him because of how rare true nose tackles are.
Cornerback:
Their cornerbacks didn’t intercept a pass until week 16 last season. Their cornerback class is very top thin and middle thick this year so waiting until the 3rd round or later, unless Donovan Warren falls to them at 18, would be a good idea. Ike Taylor is a guy whose entrenched at starter, but they could groom a future upgrade next to him. William Gay should not be anything more than a nickelback in this league and he’s a free agent this offseason anyway.
Drafted Crezdon Butler (#164), Traded for Bryant McFadden
Middle Linebacker:
James Farrior is now 35 years old. They need to start looking at future replacements next to Lawrence Timmons. If Rolando McClain falls to the Jaguars at 10, they could trade up with the Jags, who will be looking to move down to get Tim Tebow, to get McClain. If not, they’ll be looking for players they like in the mid rounds, but, again, they won’t reach for one because the Steelers are an organization who doesn’t reach.
Drafted Stevenson Sylvester (#166), Signed Larry Foote
3-4 Defensive End:
They drafted Evander Hood in the first last year, but other than him, all of their impact defensive ends are on the wrong side of 30. Its not a pressing need because they have some good veteran depth at the position, but if someone they like falls to them in the middle rounds, they’ll draft him. No one had Evander Hood on the Steelers’ radar at 32 last year, yet they pulled the trigger because they believed him to be the best available.
Drafted Doug Worthington (#242)

Free agents:
QB Charlie Batch- resigned 2 years
RB Willie Parker- signed with Redskins 1 year 3.1 million
FB Carey Davis (restricted)
TE Matt Spaeth (restricted)- resigned 1 year
OT Willie Colon (restricted)- resigned 1 year 2.5 million
G Darnell Stapleton (restricted)
3-4 DE Travis Kirschke
NT Casey Hampton- resigned 3 years 21 million
RLB Patrick Bailey (restricted)- resigned 1 year
CB Deshea Townshend