PDA

View Full Version : Goodell now threatening coaches with liability for devastating hits.

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 06:56 PM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell warned teams on Wednesday that he will hold coaches accountable for ensuring their players comply with rules that prohibit illegal hits to players' head and neck areas.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/roger-goodell-coaches-will-be-liable-if-players-violate-nfls-new-policy-on-violent-hits/1

The Duke
10-20-2010, 07:02 PM
just when I thought it couldn't get even more ridiculous....

steeldevil
10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
The owners should have a conference call TOMORROW and vote to get rid of this asshat.

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Tomlin gave Harrison the day off and admitted he coaches his player to hit like that. In light of the excessive fine, I'm not surprised to hear this announcment either. Not happy about it...because it's as bit (if not more) ridiculous than the excessive fines (or in Merriwethers case, not nearly excessive enough)...but not surprised.

silver & black
10-20-2010, 07:06 PM
To hell with a lock out next year... I hope the players and coaches just shut it down, starting Sunday.

st33lersguy
10-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Holy crap, Adolf Goodell has gone waaaay tooooo far with this whimpifying of the national FOOTBALL league. (And no Adolf Goodell I don't mean European football I mean AMERICAN football)

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 07:08 PM
As if Der Kommissar couldn't make himself look any worse...

And GitNoLuv...Tomlin said he coaches his players to separate the man from the ball. Find me one defensive coach who doesn't coach the same thing, including Rob Ryan. Have you already forgotten the T.J. Ward hit on Shipley? While IMO it was a clean hit, what do you think he was trying to do there?

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 07:12 PM
As if Der Kommissar couldn't make himself look any worse...

And GitNoLuv...Tomlin said he coaches his players to separate the man from the ball. Find me one defensive coach who doesn't coach the same thing, including Rob Ryan. Have you already forgotten the T.J. Ward hit on Shipley?

I'm trying to bring to you the perspective of Der Kommissar. Tomlin said he had no problems with the hit and coaches his players to do just what Harrison did. This, after the League said what Harrison (and others) did was a no-go. In the view of Roger-dodger, you are talking semantics.

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 07:17 PM
That's because it was a legal hit.

Goodell wants to fine for it, but doesn't want to rewrite the rules.

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm trying to bring to you the perspective of Der Kommissar. Tomlin said he had no problems with the hit and coaches his players to do just what Harrison did. This, after the League said what Harrison (and others) did was a no-go. In the view of Roger-dodger, you are talking semantics.

I actually find it convenient that he does this after hearing Tomlin's comments. Plus, all you seem to hear and read about is Harrison's hits, and comparatively very little about the others, including Merriweather's, which was a blatant cheap shot yet was fined LESS than Harrison. It makes one wonder if this really does have something to do with punishing the Steelers. Regardless, I think this is just one more step toward completely pussifying the game. Semantics don't matter to Der Kommissar, and apparently neither does hypocrisy.

EDIT: Just read some of the comments on that story, something I usually don't do because of the rampant idiocy that permeates them, but I thought this was a great post:

How do you "prove" a coach didn't teach something?
Another unenforcable smoke-and-mirrors blowhard rule from the Tabloid Commissioner.
Great call on "Tabloid Commissioner," because that is EXACTLY what he is.

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 07:27 PM
That's because it was a legal hit.

Goodell wants to fine for it, but doesn't want to rewrite the rules.
Gotta raise the BS flag. He doesn't care one iota about rewriting the rules. If it protects his moneymakes in the league...he re-writes the rules...or adds additional enforcement on previously un-enforced/under-enforced rules.

I actually find it convenient that he does this after hearing Tomlin's comments. Plus, all you seem to hear and read about is Harrison's hits, and comparatively very little about the others, including Merriweather's, which was a blatant cheap shot yet was fined LESS than Harrison. It makes one wonder if this really does have something to do with punishing the Steelers. Regardless, I think this is just one more step toward completely pussifying the game. Semantics don't matter to Der Kommissar, and apparently neither does hypocrisy.

I don't know that it's about the Steelers specifically, but it certainly has everything to do with the timing of Tomlin's comments. If it had been Rex Ryan who had made the comment instead of Tomlin, I believe that he would have still initiated the same statement. It was more about the comment itself than it was about the commentor.

As for Merriweather...his hit (while more blatant) wasn't nearly as impactful (in regards to the amount of force brought) as Harrison's. Harrison's is actually high-light worthy (from a marketing standpoint.)

Chidi29
10-20-2010, 07:28 PM

EDIT: Just read some of the comments on that story, something I usually don't do because of the rampant idiocy that permeates them, but I thought this was a great post:

[URL="http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?UID=b178606756a0a92e"]

Great call on "Tabloid Commissioner," because that is EXACTLY what he is.

It has nothing to do about specifically punishing us. Quite frankly, that's absurd. Them talking about Harrison more is because of the media, which Goodell doesn't have any control over. Plus, Harrison has been more outspoken about it than Robionson or Merriweahter. Neither or them are contemplating retirement.

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't know that it's about the Steelers specifically, but it certainly has everything to do with the timing of Tomlin's comments. If it had been Rex Ryan who had made the comment instead of Tomlin, I believe that he would have still initiated the same statement. It was more about the comment itself than it was about the commentor.

Right, that's what I'm talking about. The timing just seems really shady to me in light of all that's been said and written. Even if he waits another day before announcing this policy, it wouldn't look quite as shady as it does now. Besides, as I referenced in my earlier post - how can they determine if a coach teaches this stuff or not? Are they going to send the "Coaching Police" around to every team's practices? Knowing Goodell, that's exactly what he'll do.

It has nothing to do about specifically punishing us. Quite frankly, that's absurd. Them talking about Harrison more is because of the media, which Goodell doesn't have any control over. Plus, Harrison has been more outspoken about it than Robionson or Merriweahter. Neither or them are contemplating retirement.

You can think it's absurd...fine. I'm talking about the timing of the whole thing. It just seemed awfully convenient for him to announce this policy after Tomlin's comments. It could very well be nothing and likely is just a coincidence, but still, it does make me wonder.

stillers4me
10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Since the day goodell took office, he has been trying to change the NFL into a offense led league. He's glorified the finesse play of Brady and Manning and pushes the fact that highscoring offense wins are "what the fans want." It had to just burn his ass that the Steelers went 3-1 (and damn near 4-0) without their offense powerhouse on display, and won those games with pure defensive strategy.

I'm all for player safety and eliminating helmet to helmet hits just as much as anyone else. But what burns MY ass, is how they are now punishing for legal hits, deeming some of them "too dangerous" even when they fall within the guidelines of legal hits. That's what Tomlin means by his comments. But Goodell, as usual is legislating with knee jerk reactions, and fining not for the hits themselves but for the consequnece of the hits, which is wrong.

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
@ XT: It's no coincidence. He made the statement because a coach questioned his decision...because a coach dared defy his decision. The fact that it was Tomlin (coach of the player that got the biggest fine as a repeat offender) didn't help things at all. It helped as much as Harrison's comments after the hits.

Chidi29
10-20-2010, 07:53 PM
You can think it's absurd...fine. I'm talking about the timing of the whole thing. It just seemed awfully convenient for him to announce this policy after Tomlin's comments. It could very well be nothing and likely is just a coincidence, but still, it does make me wonder.

Tomlin made the comment about the hits being not fineable right after the game. What did you want Goodell to do? Manage to review the hit by the end of the game? There is a standard review process that occurs during the week where all questionable hits/actions/plays are reviewed.

Do we start thinking there's a conspiracy against the Pats because Merriweather didn't apologize for his hit?

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Tomlin made the comment about the hits being not fineable right after the game. What did you want Goodell to do? Manage to review the hit by the end of the game? There is a standard review process that occurs during the week where all questionable hits/actions/plays are reviewed.

Do we start thinking there's a conspiracy against the Pats because Merriweather didn't apologize for his hit?

Actually, Meriweather DID apologize for his hit, not once but twice.

And I'm talking about Tomlin's comments in his weekly press conference about teaching the defensive players to separate the man from the ball - the same thing every DC in the NFL coaches. It was then that Kommissar Goodell decided to implement this policy. You don't think that's just a bit shady? Even GitNoLuv thinks it wasn't a coincidence.

Chidi29
10-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Actually, Meriweather DID apologize for his hit, not once but twice.

And I'm talking about Tomlin's comments in his weekly press conference about teaching the defensive players to separate the man from the ball - the same thing every DC in the NFL coaches. It was then that Kommissar Goodell decided to implement this policy. You don't think that's just a bit shady? Even GitNoLuv thinks it wasn't a coincidence.

He did apologize after the fact. But his orginal comments showed little remorse.

“Y’all got the stats, right? What was the stats after that hit, and before it? I think it was a lot better than it was before it. So, you know, if that’s what we gotta do to, you know, get our team going, and to get our defense to be more aggressive, and be, you know, better on third down, then, you know, I’ll take it.”

No, it's not shady. The league was already in the midst of reviewing the hits. They're not going to rush their changes in policy just to beat Tomlin in his Tuesday press conference.

The league isn't making rules just to spite us. It affected two other players on two other teams and will have a league wide effect from here on out.

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 08:14 PM
He did apologize after the fact. But his orginal comments showed little remorse.

“Y’all got the stats, right? What was the stats after that hit, and before it? I think it was a lot better than it was before it. So, you know, if that’s what we gotta do to, you know, get our team going, and to get our defense to be more aggressive, and be, you know, better on third down, then, you know, I’ll take it.”

No, it's not shady. The league was already in the midst of reviewing the hits. They're not going to rush their changes in policy just to beat Tomlin in his Tuesday press conference.

The league isn't making rules just to spite us. It affected two other players on two other teams and will have a league wide effect from here on out.

Yeah, and which team will be affected the most? If you said the Steelers, move to the front of the line. Why? Because of their reputation. They are an unabashed and unforgiving physical defense. How many times has Mike Tomlin said that "the most violent team will win the game?" Don't think for one second the league hadn't taken note of that. They just needed the right moment to bring the hammer down. Baltimore will probably be the other team that gets hit hard, and maybe the Jets because of Rex Ryan's big mouth and the rep to match.

The bottom line is that football as we once knew it is dead, thanks to the knee-jerk reaction of the village idiot "commish."

Chidi29
10-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Exactly. We're not the only physical team out there. Baltimore, New York, even Tennessee (Not a great defense by they hit hard) It's not all about us. Quit thinking that it is and that the world is out to get us. They gain nothing by having a non-competitive Steelers team.

HometownGal
10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
What's next? Taking action against Skippy and DSep for kicking a poor innocent little pigskin too hard? :jerkit:

Me thinks Goodildo spent a little too much time under the hairdryer the last time he visiting his beautician - the heat fried what little brain he had to begin with.

Wallace108
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Since the day goodell took office, he has been trying to change the NFL into a offense led league. He's glorified the finesse play of Brady and Manning and pushes the fact that highscoring offense wins are "what the fans want."

Interesting point.

I heard Steve Young on ESPN radio this morning say the big hits are a result of inexperienced QBs throwing the ball where they shouldn't or inexperienced receivers not understanding the coverage and running where they shouldn't.

So this is a result of the pass-happy league Goodell wanted. He should be fined and suspended. Or fired. :thumbdown:

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Gotta raise the BS flag. He doesn't care one iota about rewriting the rules. If it protects his moneymakes in the league...he re-writes the rules...or adds additional enforcement on previously un-enforced/under-enforced rules.

No need to raise the BS flag, we know what's coming every time you post.

The reason you rewrite the rules is so you the fines can be levied for hits that are illegal. Additional enforcement of unenforced or underenforced rules would not allow fines against Harrison or Robinson. Those were legal hits under the rules that are currently on the books.

Goodell would rather leave the vague "devastating hits" as the standard since it can be subjectively applied by the league. A rule rewrite would force him to clearly define what is a clean hit, and he cannot do that because he has no clue how to quantify that.

stillers4me
10-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Interesting point.

I heard Steve Young on ESPN radio this morning say the big hits are a result of inexperienced QBs throwing the ball where they shouldn't or inexperienced receivers not understanding the coverage and running where they shouldn't.

So this is a result of the pass-happy league Goodell wanted. He should be fined and suspended. Or fired. :thumbdown:

Yes, I heard someone on the radio or read somthing(can't remember, I read so much on this) that the real person to blame for Harrison's fine was Colt McCoy.

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Exactly. We're not the only physical team out there. Baltimore, New York, even Tennessee (Not a great defense by they hit hard) It's not all about us. Quit thinking that it is and that the world is out to get us. They gain nothing by having a non-competitive Steelers team.

It's not that the Steelers are the target, or even that physical defenses are being targeted. The bigger issue is the gradual shift that has been occurring to more subjective penalties and a power shift from game play on the field to the league office in NY. That has been going on since Goodell took office.

Wallace108
10-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, I heard someone on the radio or read somthing(can't remember, I read so much on this) that the real person to blame for Harrison's fine was Colt McCoy.

That would fall in line with what Young was talking about. I also heard that John Gruden was saying something similar. Guys who usually defend the NFL aren't going to bat for Goodell on this one.

Just George
10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
ok someone help me. Maybe I just don't get it, talk to me like I am two years old so I can understand.

How does anything the commish has said/done this week make logical sense? Just wondering

Devilsdancefloor
10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
ok someone help me. Maybe I just don't get it, talk to me like I am two years old so I can understand.

How does anything the commish has said/done this week make logical sense? Just wondering

It makes no sense at all except to those folks who do not want to keep score and at the end of the year everyone gets a trophy

steelerdude15
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM
TOO MUCH CONTROL.

CanadianSteel
10-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I like rules, as long as they are clearly written and uniformly enforfced.
I agree they want the rule subjective so "they" can decide when some hits are legal versus illegal.
If Ray Lewis makes a hit similar to James in a playoff game you think the NFL will suspend him.... I have my suspission they would come up with a way to explain it was a clean hit.

Same for the BS personal conduct policy, I am all for it actually..... just uniformly enforce it..... not subjective.

Arrest and charged = xx games
Convicted = xx games

Just my 2 cents...

Edman
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Just Goodell being a control freak. As usual.

SteelerEmpire
10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Goodell. THAT MAN IS INSANE !!!