PDA

View Full Version : Mark Schlereth Calls NFL "National Hypocrite League"

LLT
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
ESPN's Mark Schlereth calls it like he sees it. Today on ESPN's sportscenter he held up a DVD sold by the NFL called "Moment of Impact"....a DVD celebrating and cashing in on NFL "big hits", many of which are identical to the hits that Goodell decided to fine yesterday.

Schlereth is a voice of reason who understands the difference between the violence of the game and an intent to injure someone.

He makes a fantastic point that this crackdown is more about the NFL trying to convince the public that they "care". Which is one HELL of a lot cheaper than actually adding money to their post career compensation and insurance packages.

Great perspective from one of ESPN's best analyst's.

Vis
10-20-2010, 01:14 PM
ESPN's Mark Schlereth calls it like he sees it. Today on ESPN's sportscenter he held up a DVD sold by the NFL called "Moment of Impact"....a DVD celebrating and cashing in on NFL "big hits", many of which are identical to the hits that Goodell decided to fine yesterday.

Schlereth is a voice of reason who understands the difference between the violence of the game and an intent to injure someone.

He makes a fantastic point that this crackdown is more about the NFL trying to convince the public that they "care". Which is one HELL of a lot cheaper than actually adding money to their post career compensation and insurance packages.

Great perspective from one of ESPN's best analyst's.

The NFL is guilty on the pension issue. But it is better for a person not to have a brain injury than to get paid for the disability of having one.

LLT
10-20-2010, 01:31 PM
The NFL is guilty on the pension issue. But it is better for a person not to have a brain injury than to get paid for the disability of having one.

...and as I have said before...if the league cared one ounce in regards to players injuries, they wouldn't be pushing for a 18 game season. This is all a smoke screen.

stlrtruck
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM
I guess this is a good place as any to put this. But for those of you on FB...here's something for you

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-NFL-Commissioner-Roger-Goodell/184691612872?ref=ts&v=wall#!/pages/Fire-NFL-Commissioner-Roger-Goodell/184691612872?v=wall

Vis
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
...and as I have said before...if the league cared one ounce in regards to players injuries, they wouldn't be pushing for a 18 game season. This is all a smoke screen.

But if the result is better for the players' safety, it's better. Motives don't matter.

Devilsdancefloor
10-20-2010, 02:17 PM
if he cares so much then he should make everyone where the newest equipment that is "safer". this guy is is worse than bettman i a swear i thought i would NEVER say that

LLT
10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
But if the result is better for the players' safety, it's better. Motives don't matter.

Wrong.

There is no follow through if the motive is money. As soon as they get their 18 games and 10% increase in revenue, they not only NEVER upped the amount that should have gone towards compensation packages....but they also have no motive to continue an enforcement of the smoke screen rules.

vader29
10-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I guess this is a good place as any to put this. But for those of you on FB...here's something for you

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-NFL-Commissioner-Roger-Goodell/184691612872?ref=ts&v=wall#!/pages/Fire-NFL-Commissioner-Roger-Goodell/184691612872?v=wall

Nice!

Vis
10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Wrong.

There is no follow through if the motive is money. As soon as they get their 18 games and 10% increase in revenue, they not only NEVER upped the amount that should have gone towards compensation packages....but they also have no motive to continue an enforcement of the smoke screen rules.

This one will never go away. Brain injuries are too damaging and attention will never shift away. It will change the sport from peewee up. The days of telling a player with a concussion to man up and play woozy are over. That's why the Harrison quote about the player not being hurt, just sleeping is so bad. It shows an incredible lack of understanding about what brain injuries are and how they can change the life of someone who suffers one. I handle brain injury cases and they are not a joke. Fans high fiving over a big hit is not more important.

LLT
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
This one will never go away. Brain injuries are too damaging and attention will never shift away. It will change the sport from peewee up. The days of telling a player with a concussion to man up and play woozy are over. That's why the Harrison quote about the player not being hurt, just sleeping is so bad. It shows an incredible lack of understanding about what brain injuries are and how they can change the life of someone who suffers one. I handle brain injury cases and they are not a joke. Fans high fiving over a big hit is not more important.

You are confusing the act with the motive.

Brain injuries are serious....Goodell is blowing smoke up our asses.

Vis
10-20-2010, 02:45 PM

I don't care about motive. Results matter. If a change lowers the incidence of concussion, it's a positive. We will see if this change works.

stlrtruck
10-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Here's another nice one....I'll bet the commish sidesteps all the important questions:

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1177#alert

SteelerSal
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UGYwCPnJPI&feature=player_embedded

LLT
10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't care about motive. Results matter. If a change lowers the incidence of concussion, it's a positive. We will see if this change works.

Okay...I'll try again.

The result that you think is going to come from this is a smoke and mirror show. Goodell's motive has NOTHING to do with preventing injuries..its about creating a false confidence, to the public and to teams, in the ability of players to be able to play two more games a season...which WILL cause more injuries than we have had in a 16 game season.

Since the motive is insincere...the result could be the opposite of what is promised.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Here's another nice one....I'll bet the commish sidesteps all the important questions:

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/1177#alert

He won't have to sidestep, because no meaningful questions will be featured in the chat. I remember he held one of those "chats" about a year ago, and the only questions the moderator(s) allowed through were such "deep" and "probing" ones like what his favorite foods were and how often he took vacation. :coffee:

Bluecoat96
10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
He won't have to sidestep, because no legitimate questions will be featured in the chat. I remember he held one of those "chats" about a year ago, and the only questions the moderator(s) allowed through were such "deep" and "probing" ones like what his favorite foods were and how often he took vacation. :coffee:

So the odds of him answering my question of if he realized his head is shaped like a penis aren't good?

Vis
10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Okay...I'll try again.

The result that you think is going to come from this is a smoke and mirror show. Goodell's motive has NOTHING to do with preventing injuries..its about creating a false confidence, to the public and to teams, in the ability of players to be able to play two more games a season...which WILL cause more injuries than we have had in a 16 game season.

Since the motive is insincere...the result could be the opposite of what is promised.

2 more games is more dangerous. Limiting head shots, less dangerous. It is more important to limit the head shots if there are 2 more games, not less important.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 03:55 PM
So the odds of him answering my question of if he realized his head is shaped like a penis aren't good?

Probably not. :chuckle: But if you ask him about, say, efforts to improve officiating by taking judgment calls out of the equation as much as possible, you'll probably get some fluff response about how awesome NFL officials are and what a great job they're doing with no real answer to your question at all. :thumbsup:

tube517
10-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Not even worth your time. They will edit out even a legitimate question. Don't waste your electricity or time on that POS.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Not even worth your time. They will edit out even a legitimate question. Don't waste your electricity or time on that POS.

What? Don't you consider how much vacation time he gets and what his dog's name is to be relevant topics? :chuckle:

tube517
10-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Exactly. If Goodhell was really sincere, he would've made this his top priority upon taking the position. Not wait until this week to look like he's taking action.

Clearly, he is the worst commisioner, on par with Bud Selig (who also is an ass clown), I have seen in my lifetime.

Okay...I'll try again.

LLT
10-20-2010, 04:05 PM
2 more games is more dangerous. Limiting head shots, less dangerous. It is more important to limit the head shots if there are 2 more games, not less important.

Totally agree that we need to limit head shots...but the rulings that just came down are proof positive that Goodell was looking for a publicity opportunity to prove how much he cares...not real change.

If he was REALLY wanting to prevent brain injuries then he wouldnt have gone after ...at least one hit....that was in NO WAY illegal. He needed examples and found them so that he could push an agenda.

solardave
10-20-2010, 04:15 PM

You are absolutely right LLT. Goodell doesn't care about player safety. He cares about us thinking he does. Just like every now and then someone gets suspended for violating the leagues substance abuse policy while others get 2-3 DUIs and nothing happens. You have players carrying loaded weapons into airports. Doesn't this at least fall under the conduct policy? It depends on who they are and what team they play for. Goodell should be fired for all of the crimes he's committed since taking over. Actually he should be doing time.

solardave
10-20-2010, 04:19 PM

And you believe in the Tooth Fairy too? Get real. Motives don't matter? Explain to us how an 18 game season is going to protect players. Please. This ought to be good!`

SMR
10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Right on the money you are! (No pun intended, lol).

solardave
10-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Exactly. This is not about brain injuries if you look at the man deciding the fate. If you had even a miner traffic violation would you want this douchebag to be your judge? I know I wouldn't! His job is to be fair and impartial,not to make the rules up as he goes along. I hope he gets caught taking payoffs because I'd bet my last dollar he is. Start looking at Bob Kraft and I'd say that's where the money trail begins.

steeldawg
10-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Okay...I'll try again.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!

ALLD
10-20-2010, 05:56 PM
He is moving the strike zone right in the middle of a game. How are you supposed to hit if you get called out on strikes looking at what was a ball your previous at bat?

steelerdude15
10-20-2010, 10:41 PM
:lol: I saw this and well... its the truth.

HometownGal
10-21-2010, 05:01 AM

Goodildo and Cris Collinsworthless must be brothas from anotha motha. :heh:

HometownGal
10-21-2010, 05:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UGYwCPnJPI&feature=player_embedded

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

Schlereth NAILS it! :thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
10-21-2010, 05:46 AM
And there folks is who we all should be lobbying to be the next commissioner of the NFL.

He hit every nail on the head - I doubt anyone could have said it better. Bravo Mark Schlereth

Now I wait to see what Sanction Goodell tries to levy on Mark via BSPN.

Texasteel
10-21-2010, 06:01 AM
I have enjoyed Marks comments for a very long time. He normally speaks out honestly and straight forward. You may be right Aussie. It may be time for a commissioner that actually knows the game but the owners would never have it. Mark has played the game, knows the game, and loves the game, Goodell misses on all counts.

It's good to be the King, right Goodell?

Butch
10-21-2010, 06:02 AM
I will not lobby for him to be the next commish he has a poor track record in the past lest we forget but I will give him credit for saying what we all feel needs to be said and putting it in context with his own personal tribulations. I will give him this it shows he has the balls to go up against the machine, just as Esterbrook did with spygate, but the machine shut down esterbrook and I'm sure they will do the same with this if push comes to shove.

SirHulka
10-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm with Vis on this one. This is not about the Browns, the Steelers, James Harrison or Roger Goodell. The average life expectancy of a pro football player is 55! And most insurance companies won't cover them after the age of 50. The motive doesn't matter. Whether it's a legal hit or not doesn't matter. Whether it's intentional or accidental doesn't matter. What really matters is the player getting his brains scrambled or not. Any enforcement of existing rules, or any new rules, that prevent another Daryl Stingley is worth it. By the way, they are not changing the rules in the middle of the season. These rules have been here for 3 years, just not enforced. And going to an 18 game season is pure stupidity. I think they should go back to 14 games a year. That'll never happen, because too many people value money over human life.

Want to REALLY stop concussions? Go back to the helmets of the 50s. If the helmets weren't so lethal, maybe the guys who get paid millions of dollars a year to tackle people will learn how to do just that. Tackle. Not hit. Tackle. For all you bloodthirsty fans that want to see big hits, they will still be there. That will never end.

But something needs to be done to protect the players from debilitating head injuries.

Of all of the things you'll ever lose, you'll miss your mind the most.

Kittyfish
10-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Sigh. Mark Schlereth. So handsome. Smart, too.

Mark Schlereth had another great rant this morning on Mike and Mike, about how the NFL professes to care about the health of its players but in reality don't give a crap after you walk out of the door for the last time. He said he needed lots of shoulder surgeries, for example, but the NFL would have you believe that his problems had absolutely nothing to do with playing 12 years in their league. No one from the NFL has contacted him since he left for any reason, to see how he's doing or how they could improve how they take care of ex-players etc. Basically called them out. It was very interesting - maybe it will turn up on YouTube later.

venom
10-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Was Stinky livid or what with this new rule ? lol

Vis
10-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Was Stinky livid or what with this new rule ? lol

No new rule and it sounds like he's more livid that the league doesn't take care of players afterwards.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Sigh. Mark Schlereth. So handsome. Smart, too.

Mark Schlereth had another great rant this morning on Mike and Mike, about how the NFL professes to care about the health of its players but in reality don't give a crap after you walk out of the door for the last time. He said he needed lots of shoulder surgeries, for example, but the NFL would have you believe that his problems had absolutely nothing to do with playing 12 years in their league. No one from the NFL has contacted him since he left for any reason, to see how he's doing or how they could improve how they take care of ex-players etc. Basically called them out. It was very interesting - maybe it will turn up on YouTube later.

Actually, the issue was that NFL-appointed physicians were claiming that Schlereth's 26 surgeries & multiple injuries were not debilitating and did NOT qualify him for further medical compensation. Stink went to another non-NFL approved Doc and was told that the NFL Doc was an embarrasment & shouldn't be practicing medicine. This "other" Doc determined that Stink had 3 different injuries that each alone would qualify him for disbility benefits. In other words, the NFL was downplaying injuries to limit compensation to its' injured players. That is an outrage & is part of the chasm between owners & players in the ongoing CBA discussions.

As to the issue with the new rules...Goodell is making a smart decision for his product, and thereby, is benefiting the players in the long run. Goodell's motives may well be monetary in nature, but protecting a player's brain is obviously a non-debatable priority. Whether or not there truly is a spike in these injuries IS debatable, but doesn't change the fact that these rules should be enforced.

I agree with Mike Golic on the issue...let's see how this plays out. How will suspensions be enforced? What long-term affect will this have on the game? Will offensive production sky-rocket? Maybe holding penalties & pass-interference calls should be adjusted accordingly? The discussion will be on-going and debated this off-season, but it's logical that these steps were made.

Vis
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Goodell's motives may well be monetary in nature, but protecting a player's brain is obviously a non-debatable priority.

Have you read the other threads? They get paid millions to be maimed for our entertainment. Don't be a pussy, we want blood.

I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end. And when you die - and die you shall - your transition will be to the sound of...
[claps his hands]

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Have you read the other threads? They get paid millions to be maimed for our entertainment. Don't be a pussy, we want blood.

I shall be closer to you for the next few days, which will be the last of your miserable lives, than that bitch of a mother who first brought you screaming into this world! I did not pay good money for your company. I paid it so that I might profit from your death. And just as your mother was there at your beginning, I shall be there at your end. And when you die - and die you shall - your transition will be to the sound of...
[claps his hands]

I have, and some of these people should be embarrassed. Many have claimed that Goodell is an idiot, moron, and any number of other insults. Why? Because he lit up Roethlisberger and now Harrison is under fire. These posters are people that, in general, have issues with authority (likely younger fans) and resort to name-calling and mud-slinging. I didn't have a problem with Ben's suspension, and I don't have a problem with enforcing these hitting rules.

However, I will say, that I am concerned that the implementation of these rules will get very sticky and could cause real issues for defenses. I hope the league makes some concessions to the defensive holding & interference penalties to compensate.

X-Terminator
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I have, and some of these people should be embarrassed. Many have claimed that Goodell is an idiot, moron, and any number of other insults. Why? Because he lit up Roethlisberger and now Harrison is under fire. These posters are people that, in general, have issues with authority (likely younger fans) and resort to name-calling and mud-slinging. I didn't have a problem with Ben's suspension, and I don't have a problem with enforcing these hitting rules.

However, I will say, that I am concerned that the implementation of these rules will get very sticky and could cause real issues for defenses. I hope the league makes some concessions to the defensive holding & interference penalties to compensate.

No.

Goodell IS an idiot, a moron and he shouldn't be allowed to run a Dairy Queen, much less the NFL. The guy is pussifying and ruining a great game. NHL players take WAY more hits, get their shoulders/faces/legs slammed into a friggin wall hundreds of times a year, all while wearing fewer pads than NFL players, and you never hear any whining about it. We have a few guys in the NFL take some big hits, and the entire friggin country is up in arms. I am STILL trying to figure out when this country became so soft. If flag football is what you want, then enjoy the new NFL, because you won't be seeing any more big hits as defensive players will be hesitant to hit anyone for fear of being suspended. It has nothing to do with having a problem with authority, and I can guarantee you that many of the fans here who have been up in arms have been watching the game for 25 years or more. It has everything to do with Der Kommissar and his footsoldiers trying to change the very essence of the sport.

steeldawg
10-21-2010, 05:27 PM

Well isnt this arrogant, we were not just upset with the severity of Ben's suspension but the fact that goodell gave a free pass to other players around the league, many who were charged with actual crimes. The players are against this rule offensive and defensive so that should tell you something. Players would much rather be hit high than being hit down in their knees. Goodell is making safety the number 1 issue simply to try and get the 18 game season passed.

ALLD
10-21-2010, 05:35 PM
The new enforcement basically makes any incidental contact to the head and neck a fineable and flaggable offense. It also makes hard hitting the same. Could it be that finesse teams like the Pats and Colts with little or no defense are motivating the commissioner? Are the other owners complaining because they already see the dominance of the Steelers, even without a starting QB for the first 4 weeks and the loss of their former #1 WR.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 05:54 PM
No.

Goodell IS an idiot, a moron and he shouldn't be allowed to run a Dairy Queen, much less the NFL. The guy is pussifying and ruining a great game. NHL players take WAY more hits, get their shoulders/faces/legs slammed into a friggin wall hundreds of times a year, all while wearing fewer pads than NFL players, and you never hear any whining about it. We have a few guys in the NFL take some big hits, and the entire friggin country is up in arms. I am STILL trying to figure out when this country became so soft. If flag football is what you want, then enjoy the new NFL, because you won't be seeing any more big hits as defensive players will be hesitant to hit anyone for fear of being suspended. It has nothing to do with having a problem with authority, and I can guarantee you that many of the fans here who have been up in arms have been watching the game for 25 years or more. It has everything to do with Der Kommissar and his footsoldiers trying to change the very essence of the sport.

I can see you're a tad emotional here, but you're wrong on several points. One, I distinctly recall a player being criminally charged for an on-ice hit in the NHL. If Goodell tried to make that happen fans would be in an uproar far beyond what we're seeing here. Secondly, the NFL is not suddenly going to become some pansy league. These same things were said when the QB-protection rules were put in place & it certainly hasn't caused defenses to become soft.

Rather than acting as you suggest Goodell is acting, REACTIONARY, why don't you give it some time to see how it plays out? I'll bet that this will be less of an issue than many think.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Well isnt this arrogant, we were not just upset with the severity of Ben's suspension but the fact that goodell gave a free pass to other players around the league, many who were charged with actual crimes. The players are against this rule offensive and defensive so that should tell you something. Players would much rather be hit high than being hit down in their knees. Goodell is making safety the number 1 issue simply to try and get the 18 game season passed.

I'm referring to those that believe Goodell is a moronic fool that is trying to ruin the NFL. If you are one of them, well then, I guess I'm talking about you. What motivation would Goodell have to ruin the NFL? It's RIDICULOUS to suggest that he's in any way stupid, or in any way trying to ruin the game.

Now, as far as his giving free passes to others around the league. Again, do you really think that he's just sitting back on his throne tossing out punishments like some old fat Roman dictator? Seriously? Do you realize the legal pressures he's under to properly handle all these situations? I get so tired of hearing all these mouth-breathin' conspiracy theorists making up all these ridiculous accusations that the league and Goodell are out to get the Steelers. How many on here would be all up-in-arms if it was Flacco that got Ben's punishment? Or Terrell Suggs that got lit up for his hit on Massaquoi rather than Silverback?

And, by the way, I haven't named any names in my posts. I'm speaking in generalities.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 06:04 PM
The new enforcement basically makes any incidental contact to the head and neck a fineable and flaggable offense. It also makes hard hitting the same. Could it be that finesse teams like the Pats and Colts with little or no defense are motivating the commissioner? Are the other owners complaining because they already see the dominance of the Steelers, even without a starting QB for the first 4 weeks and the loss of their former #1 WR.

Really? This is so ridiculous. If you think that the NFL is so rampantly fixed and full of collusion might I suggest you watch bowling?

X-Terminator
10-21-2010, 06:05 PM
I can see you're a tad emotional here, but you're wrong on several points. One, I distinctly recall a player being criminally charged for an on-ice hit in the NHL. If Goodell tried to make that happen fans would be in an uproar far beyond what we're seeing here. Secondly, the NFL is not suddenly going to become some pansy league. These same things were said when the QB-protection rules were put in place & it certainly hasn't caused defenses to become soft.

Rather than acting as you suggest Goodell is acting, REACTIONARY, why don't you give it some time to see how it plays out? I'll bet that this will be less of an issue than many think.

That incident I think you are talking about, the Todd Bertuzzi incident, was not for an on-ice hit. It was for an on-ice mugging, a suckerpunch from behind that ultimately led to the player, Steve Moore, breaking his neck when everyone piled on top of him. It had nothing to do with a hit of any kind. Dino Ciccarelli spent a night in jail after he tried to hack a player's head off with his stick. Marty McSorley was criminally charged for nearly killing Donald Brashear with his stick. There has never been a player charged with a crime in the NHL for a hit that I can recall or read about. Any criminal charges have always been the result of cheap shots or getting involved with fans. So you are wrong there.

If you don't think this is going to result in defenses being less aggressive, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a natural reaction to be hesitant to hit someone if there is the cloud of a suspension hanging over your head.

Yes, let's see how it plays out. There will be harder hits in your average pick-up football game than there will be in the NFL.

fansince'76
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Yes, let's see how it plays out. There will be harder hits in your average pick-up football game than there will be in the NFL.

And an explosion of arm-tackles that are easily broken out of, and whiffed tackles as a result of defenders trying not to lay a "devastating hit," etc., etc.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
That incident I think you are talking about, the Todd Bertuzzi incident, was not for an on-ice hit. It was for an on-ice mugging, a suckerpunch from behind that ultimately led to the player, Steve Moore, breaking his neck when everyone piled on top of him. It had nothing to do with a hit of any kind. Dino Ciccarelli spent a night in jail after he tried to hack a player's head off with his stick. Marty McSorley was criminally charged for nearly killing Donald Brashear with his stick. There has never been a player charged with a crime in the NHL for a hit that I can recall or read about. Any criminal charges have always been the result of cheap shots or getting involved with fans. So you are wrong there.

If you don't think this is going to result in defenses being less aggressive, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a natural reaction to be hesitant to hit someone if there is the cloud of a suspension hanging over your head.

Okay. Those NHL hits took place on the "playing field." If Brandon Merriwether had caused Heap to break his neck would you consider it a cheap shot punishable by law? Player injuries happen often in the NHL too, but it's a different sport with different rules that can't be directly compared to the NFL.

Less aggressive? Sure, in some cases. Pansy & soft? Hell no. But, if you really think that some dudes won't get laid out this weekend you're wrong.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 06:25 PM
And an explosion of arm-tackles that are easily broken out of, and whiffed tackles as a result of defenders trying not to lay a "devastating hit," etc., etc.

I dunno - I just don't see this happening. How many tackles took place around the league on Sunday and Monday? We're talking about 4 hits that were questioned, and 3 that were considered punishable. I don't think these guys are gonna start whimpin' out.

fansince'76
10-21-2010, 06:34 PM
I dunno - I just don't see this happening. How many tackles took place around the league on Sunday and Monday? We're talking about 4 hits that were questioned, and 3 that were considered punishable. I don't think these guys are gonna start whimpin' out.

Probably not - I imagine guys will be "testing" where the "new line" falls - I just hope nobody gets injured and that nobody gets fined/suspended.

SteeleReign
10-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Probably not - I imagine guys will be "testing" where the "new line" falls - I just hope nobody gets injured and that nobody gets fined/suspended.

I hope that the league takes a step back & starts offering warnings. They could make a tape of offending hits to distribute to all the teams to help clearly define "illegal." These developed behaviors won't change in a week & therefore, really need some time to be further clarified.

In my mind, the only suspensionable hit from the weekend would be Merriwether's. Harrison's was so marginal that I think a fine would be the limit even if it happened this weekend.

86WARD
10-21-2010, 08:37 PM
100% True Story.

stlrtruck
10-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm referring to those that believe Goodell is a moronic fool that is trying to ruin the NFL. If you are one of them, well then, I guess I'm talking about you. What motivation would Goodell have to ruin the NFL? It's RIDICULOUS to suggest that he's in any way stupid, or in any way trying to ruin the game.

Now, as far as his giving free passes to others around the league. Again, do you really think that he's just sitting back on his throne tossing out punishments like some old fat Roman dictator? Seriously? Do you realize the legal pressures he's under to properly handle all these situations? I get so tired of hearing all these mouth-breathin' conspiracy theorists making up all these ridiculous accusations that the league and Goodell are out to get the Steelers. How many on here would be all up-in-arms if it was Flacco that got Ben's punishment? Or Terrell Suggs that got lit up for his hit on Massaquoi rather than Silverback?

And, by the way, I haven't named any names in my posts. I'm speaking in generalities.

I believe that Der Kommish is inconsistent in the punishments he hands out. The integrity that he emphatically proclaims to protect he vehemently destroys with his lack of consistent, equal, and fair punishment across the board. It started with the patriots* spygate, continued through the various players doing various off-field incidents, he showed that he was not equal or fair and everything he did was done in consideration about how it tarnished the shield.

He may not be a stupid man by educational standpoints, but his actions, his press conferences, they are stupid (imo). You obviously disagree and you think that he's doing an okay job - and that's your opinion.

If Flacco was handed out the same punishments based on accusations, then I would probably do two things. One poke fun at ravens fans, well because it would be fun, but in honest conversation I would continue to agree that no punishment should be handed out based on accusations of a drunk who changes their story not once, not twice, but at least three different times. And if it were Suggs getting fined, I'd still look at the play and have enough common sense to realize that football is a violent sport and sometimes real time movements create unfortunate moments of contact creating devastating hits! That's how Der Kommish is ruining the league - is attempting to take away the motion of the game, at least from the defense.

Okay. Those NHL hits took place on the "playing field." If Brandon Merriwether had caused Heap to break his neck would you consider it a cheap shot punishable by law? Player injuries happen often in the NHL too, but it's a different sport with different rules that can't be directly compared to the NFL.

Less aggressive? Sure, in some cases. Pansy & soft? Hell no. But, if you really think that some dudes won't get laid out this weekend you're wrong.

And you think those guys that lay the lumber this weekend won't be fined and/or suspended for these great hits then you're wrong. If I were a betting man I would almost guarentee that at least one suspension will occur this weekend on a hit that is close to what Der Kommish deems a "devastating hit". That's the problem I have, no one is holding the commissioner responsible for his rules of discipline. They are only subject to his review.

I hope that the league takes a step back & starts offering warnings. They could make a tape of offending hits to distribute to all the teams to help clearly define "illegal." These developed behaviors won't change in a week & therefore, really need some time to be further clarified.

In my mind, the only suspensionable hit from the weekend would be Merriwether's. Harrison's was so marginal that I think a fine would be the limit even if it happened this weekend.

I agree that Merriweather's hit was truly the only illegal hit of the weekend. It was definitely uncalled for and was deserving of a fine.

Now the one thing I would like to see the NFL do, in light of any changes in rules, is enlighten the refs, and get consistency across the board. That's a problem the NFL has had for the last few years. One ref would allow certain things to happen but then you switch to another game and you see the same exact play and a flag is thrown. I've also seen that certain players get preferential treatment on calls, specifically ones relating to ruffing the passer, pass interference, etc. Train the refs, make their jobs a full time jobs, then it might be easier to determine what is or isn't illegal.

Again, I'm not saying that player safety is not of concern but you have to take that into consideration with the product you are promoting. When you have an aggressive full contact sport like football...common sense has to be applied to the rules. And if you refuse to think that occassionally when two heavy hitters collide, that some incidental helmet to helmet contacts are going to made then you're fooling yourself. And that's another problem, Der Kommish has stated that even plays that end in accidental contact are subject to fines and/or suspensions. I wonder if it will be based upon which teams players have the accidental contact?

solardave
10-22-2010, 03:06 AM

OK. Here you go. I'm not young unless you call a fan of 35 years young. I'll not apologize for saying Goodell is corrupt and a douchebag! He covered up something as his first official act. That makes him corrupt. I'm all for player safety. I'm all for proper tackling with NO head shots. Anyone who thinks Goodell cares is fooling themselves. If the CBA gets done , we end up with an 18 games season and the owners get what they want you watch how fast the issue goes away. You'll hear G saying "it's just part of the game". We have a leader (albeit a poor excuse for one) deciding who gets fined or suspended based on how he feels it should go down. It's obvious he is not going away so why not a panel of officials looking at hits to determine the fines and/or suspensions. Some people that are not BIASED!! We didn't have this kind of bias when Tagliabue or Rosell where in power. As far as Goodell being an idiot,well he looks and talks like one. You don't have to be smart to be devious. For the record I don't have a problem with authority. I have a problem with douchebags that are in control and have a HIDDEN AGENDA!!!

Butch
10-22-2010, 04:57 AM

How do you like the way the NFL is handling the Bret Favre case? You do know they are only investigating if something happened at the work place. Tell me agian how fair the NFL is in handling these situations fairly and across the board.

Oh and that so called "Mouthbreathers" statement was offbase and completely uncalled for, and just because you didn't call out anyone in specific it is still serving to degrade members of this board who have an opinion. It was a high handed way to personally insult those who have an opinion that is different than yours. As far as I know Go To Hell Godell is not a member of this board so he is fair game the members of this board are not and you are trying to stir the pot.

SteeleReign
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
How do you like the way the NFL is handling the Bret Favre case? You do know they are only investigating if something happened at the work place. Tell me agian how fair the NFL is in handling these situations fairly and across the board.

Oh and that so called "Mouthbreathers" statement was offbase and completely uncalled for, and just because you didn't call out anyone in specific it is still serving to degrade members of this board who have an opinion. It was a high handed way to personally insult those who have an opinion that is different than yours. As far as I know Go To Hell Godell is not a member of this board so he is fair game the members of this board are not and you are trying to stir the pot.

Maybe my "mouth-breathers" comment was off base. But, you don't find it at all off-base to call the Commissioner an idiot, moron, douchebag, etc? There's not a single person on this board that knows Goodell personally.

SteeleReign
10-22-2010, 07:18 AM
OK. Here you go. I'm not young unless you call a fan of 35 years young. I'll not apologize for saying Goodell is corrupt and a douchebag! He covered up something as his first official act. That makes him corrupt. I'm all for player safety. I'm all for proper tackling with NO head shots. Anyone who thinks Goodell cares is fooling themselves. If the CBA gets done , we end up with an 18 games season and the owners get what they want you watch how fast the issue goes away. You'll hear G saying "it's just part of the game". We have a leader (albeit a poor excuse for one) deciding who gets fined or suspended based on how he feels it should go down. It's obvious he is not going away so why not a panel of officials looking at hits to determine the fines and/or suspensions. Some people that are not BIASED!! We didn't have this kind of bias when Tagliabue or Rosell where in power. As far as Goodell being an idiot,well he looks and talks like one. You don't have to be smart to be devious. For the record I don't have a problem with authority. I have a problem with douchebags that are in control and have a HIDDEN AGENDA!!!

Okay. You call Goodell biased - for whom? And against whom?

X-Terminator
10-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Maybe my "mouth-breathers" comment was off base. But, you don't find it at all off-base to call the Commissioner an idiot, moron, douchebag, etc? There's not a single person on this board that knows Goodell personally.

You don't have to know someone personally to realize that they're incompetent.

And yes, your "mouth-breathers" comment was off-base. We don't put up with that here, so please refrain from making such comments in the future.

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I believe that Der Kommish is inconsistent in the punishments he hands out. The integrity that he emphatically proclaims to protect he vehemently destroys with his lack of consistent, equal, and fair punishment across the board. It started with the patriots* spygate, continued through the various players doing various off-field incidents, he showed that he was not equal or fair and everything he did was done in consideration about how it tarnished the shield.

I agree 100%.

I agree that Merriweather's hit was truly the only illegal hit of the weekend. It was definitely uncalled for and was deserving of a fine.

What I find more than a bit disturbing is all of these idiot "fans" who are throwing a hissy fit about James, calling him a "thug" and "cheap shot artist". These same "fans" think that Meriweather's OK because he "apologized". What a joke! I guess that they didn't read Meriweather's comments immediately after the game. In their eyes it's OK to take cheap shots as long as you apologize afterward. Are we in grade school?

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Apparently you do since you're trying so hard to defend him.

SMR
10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree 100%.

What I find more than a bit disturbing is all of these idiot "fans" who are throwing a hissy fit about James, calling him a "thug" and "cheap shot artist". These same "fans" think that Meriweather's OK because he "apologized". What a joke! I guess that they didn't read Meriweather's comments immediately after the game. In their eyes it's OK to take cheap shots as long as you apologize afterward. Are we in grade school?

Too many people are stuck in grade school. Come on, class is over!

Butch
10-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Okay. You call Goodell biased - for whom? And against whom?

How do you like the way the NFL is handling the Bret Favre case? You do know they are only investigating if something happened at the work place. Tell me again how the NFL is in handling these situations fairly across the board or explain to me when the league offices moved to a bar in Atlanta.

SteeleReign
10-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Apparently you do since you're trying so hard to defend him.

No, I don't. But, I can assure you that he's not an idiot & that he's not trying to ruin the NFL. I

stlrtruck
10-22-2010, 04:14 PM
No, I don't. But, I can assure you that he's not an idiot & that he's not trying to ruin the NFL. I

How can you be so sure of it? I think we all have our definition of ruining the NFL. Like a politician Goodell's flipped flopped and talked double talk since day 1. And as proof, look at how he 'maintains the integrity of the league'.

I digress, I just watched NFL Live and Schlereth broke down the hit Harrison had on Massaquoi and showed how the WR bent down to protect himself and where James would have hit him if he didn't bend over. Then Schlereth took the Ray Lewis hit taht the league has deemed a legal hit and showed where Ray Lewis would have hit him if the WR had bent over protect himself. It would have been an illegal hit. He also commented that Ray Lewis, in that play, is bordline, to lunging at the WR.

Just goes to prove that the league is not taking in to consideration the offensive players moves when dealing out fines to defensive players.

Telling me that they do not understand the movement of the game. In my book, idiots!

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I digress, I just watched NFL Live and Schlereth broke down the hit Harrison had on Massaquoi and showed how the WR bent down to protect himself and where James would have hit him if he didn't bend over. Then Schlereth took the Ray Lewis hit taht the league has deemed a legal hit and showed where Ray Lewis would have hit him if the WR had bent over protect himself. It would have been an illegal hit. He also commented that Ray Lewis, in that play, is bordline, to lunging at the WR.

Just goes to prove that the league is not taking in to consideration the offensive players moves when dealing out fines to defensive players.

Telling me that they do not understand the movement of the game. In my book, idiots!

Yep. I laughed when I saw that Ray Lewis hit in the video. It was just like the Harrison hit without the WR lowering his helmet.

Aussie_steeler
10-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Schlereth vs Foolio

This one is also worth a listen.

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1298369

Butch
10-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Anyone who uses Rodney Harrison as an expert on what players can and should do is a complete moron!!!