PDA

View Full Version : Harrison: I might quit NFL

SteelerFanInStl
10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
From NFL.com:

Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

This just pisses me off. These pansy rules are going to start forcing the real players out of the NFL.

polamalubeast
10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Goodell sucks:mad2::mad2::mad2:

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 09:25 AM
He ain't quitting... He has a $52 million contract... He loves the game too much... He just feels the pressure because of the being the center of attention.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
He ain't quitting... He has a $52 million contract... He loves the game too much... He just feels the pressure because of the being the center of attention.

Yep, no way he's walking away from all that dough, but he's obviously pissed and understandably so.

Texasteel
10-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Your are absolutely right. Still, it seems that if Goodell has his way the only real football we will be able to see will be in the Lingerie League.

I hear they have already offered Tom Brady and contract.

SteelerFanInStl
10-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Money isn't everything to all people. James knows one way to play football and if that's taken away from him, I can see him walking away. He's made more than enough money already to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

SteelerFanInStl
10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd love to see a well financed competitor league appear. If a league similar to the USFL would appear after this year, you might see a lot of the big name players jump leagues to get away from this BS.

Devilsdancefloor
10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I'd love to see a well financed competitor league appear. If a league similar to the USFL would appear after this year, you might see a lot of the big name players jump leagues to get away from this BS.

a little competition is a good thing! yes i can see harrison pulling stakes and saying screw this even if he has 200 million contract

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't see this happening - the players, coaches and Mr. Rooney will make him reconsider. But if he is adamant, hell, I couldn't blame him if he quit. Why in the world would anyone want to play under a microscope, when even a hard, clean hit could get him suspended? He doesn't like to be the center of attention to begin with. SFSTL is right - sometimes money isn't everything, and principles trump all. The guy has made over $20 million the past 3 years - if he's smart with his money, he'd never have to work again.

steelpride12
10-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I think he will stay, but seriously can you blame him!? Think of it like this, let's say he really means what he is saying about leaving. He is making over $50 million on a successful team and still considering to leave. Goodell you sure fucked up big time, you just better hope the Steelers organization and Coach T make Harrison realize it's for the best he stays on the team...

oneforthetoe
10-20-2010, 10:16 AM
If he just signed that contract last season, then retirement might not even be possible for James. He could be obligated to pay back part of his bonus. I' mean the Steelers will support James, but even they are not going to just let him walk away. Tomlin should give him a day or two away from practice (if he wants it) to get away from everything. I do not think - in the end - James will let his teammates down.

Look, there is no doubt that Goodell is trying to change the fundamental way in which this game is played. In his ideal world, there is no place for the James Harrison's. However, he is still a long way away from being able to do that. Harrison can still be effective. Five years from now? I'm not sure. Although, as has been mentioned, if owners start seeing their bottom line hurting, they will boot him quicker than a moment of sanity rests in Al Davis' head. Just wish that realization would come sooner rather than later.

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I'd be surprised if there isn't a groundswell of player support and backlash against the league over these fines and threatened suspensions for legal hits.

The Duke
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
If he did I wouldn't hold it against him. He loves the game, but it is being ruined beyong repair

oneforthetoe
10-20-2010, 10:59 AM
If you are upset about this, I suggest you turn on Sports Center, or look for the video online later, of Matt Schlereth. He has done this before, but he really ripped into the NFL, particularly over the Harrison fine. He was really fired up. At one point he said the NFL should borrow the initials of the NHL and call itself the National Hypocrite League, in response for the NFL selling DVDs that glorify the same hits as were fined, as well as for not paying retired players health benefits.

It was good stuff.

oneforthetoe
10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Here it is:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5706315

Craic
10-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Ok. Differentiation first... I agree on cracking down on direct, head to head hits when it is purposeful, intentional, and not necessary to the tackle or block.

However, Harrison's hit on MassiveWhiningfrommyagent seemed to be none of the above. He was basically fined for the results of a hit, rather than for the WAY he hit someone. In short, this is the EXACT same thing I argued about when it comes to hockey-when penalties intensify if there is blood. There should be NO ACCOUNTING For an individual's bio-chemical makeup that contributes to the end result... Whether it is drawing blood in hockey, or it is a concussion in football. Neither is wanted. However, unless intentional, neither should be penalized either.

Merchant
10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Here it is:

Whoa. Dude went off hardcore.

I'm really not worried about Harrison retiring though. I highly doubt he truely meant it, we all say things we don't mean when we're angry and not thinking straight.

silver & black
10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Here it is:

I f***in' love it! This isn't going to go as smoothly as Goodildo thinks.

TheRuneMeister
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Here it is:

So many good points. Especially regarding the sales of photos, video, and the way that the NFL glorifies the hits by amplfying the sound on the field in replays and in all their NFL films segments. You can't do those things and at the same time tell players not to hit each other hard. Then it just sounds like a political statement that they are making in order to wash their own hands when someone gets hurt.

Dino 6 Rings
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
keep knocking fools out. Just don't do it in the playoffs, so a suspension won't keep you out of the games...then in the Super Bowl...knock out some more fools.

So glad he's on our Team

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
keep knocking fools out. Just don't do it in the playoffs, so a suspension won't keep you out of the games...then in the Super Bowl...knock out some more fools.

If that actually happens, I just thank GOD Madden is already retired. He almost burst a blood vessel bleating over and over that he should have been ejected from the game when Harrison went off on Francisco in XLIII after Francisco lunged at his knees. Which underscores another component of the problem - the mealy-mouthed media jackasses that overreact to this sort of thing and in large part wind up dictating Der Kommissar's disciplinary policies.

Texasteel
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd be surprised if there isn't a groundswell of player support and backlash against the league over these fines and threatened suspensions for legal hits.

I hope your right. If it does happen I think the league, Bulldell, will find that most fans are not on their side.

Dino 6 Rings
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
If that actually happens, I just thank GOD Madden is already retired. He almost burst a blood vessel bleating over and over that he should have been ejected from the game when Harrison went off on Francisco in XLIII after Francisco lunged at his knees. Which underscores another component of the problem - the mealy-mouthed media jackasses that overreact to this sort of thing and in large part wind up dictating Der Kommissar's disciplinary policies.

What's crazy is most people are chirping about the Robinson hit, I think everyone kind of agrees, Silverback didn't lead with his head...but he was just freaking VIOLENT that people got scared and now needs fined? Its wild. I mean, he hits like a truck, but he wasn't leading with his head. he just Exploded through Mosaqua (spelling I'm sure) and that was seen as too much.

Oh and if they are suspending people...wouldn't we have not had our Safety two years ago in the Super Bowl because of the brutal legal hit he put on McGehee?

Craic
10-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Here it is:

There is not ONE thing that can be disagreed with here. Not ONE. I ESPECIALLY love when he points out all his surgeries and how he wasn't even eligible for disability through the league... "National Hypocrite League".

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
They should have fined Massaquoi. He's the one that lowered his head right before impact.

That's like booting a pitcher when the batter drops his head down over the plate and gets hit in the head with a strike.

Vis
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
"I will never drink again"

stlrtruck
10-20-2010, 12:11 PM
I have a new found respect for Schelerth.

Butch
10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
1st off I think The Steelers organization will tell James to let the Players association handle this and if that doesn't work we can go from there. I think James will listen and will cool off for a couple days, but man I feel sorry for whoever comes across him this week. If I'm the fish I would not even go to his side of the field.

As for Shlereth Wow I did not see that coming!!! I agree that one of the more interesting points he brought up was the league not paying for his injuries because he didn't get hit enough. He suggested that the players play flag football this week I would go a step further and say no defender steps on the field for any team. It would show the league and the fans what they will see if this type of garbage continues an all offensive league.

In the end if this does not get changed it will be a travesty to the game we so love and that is a shame because Football was really my last ray of hope for the sports world. Please Mr. Rooney do the right thing and stand up against this tyranny!!!

chenzzo
10-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Here it is:

Preach it Brother Schlereth.

ALLD
10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Harrison is correct when he stated that the regular season will just be turned into Pro-Bowl style games where nobody hits. Schlerth just got a whole bunch new fans when he brought this topic back to earth. The NFL just completely overreacted to the hits and Goodell showed how incompetent he really is. I am sad for the league.

*In a related story, NASCAR officials will be issuing speeding tickets to drivers who unfairly drive faster than corporate favorites.

vader29
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Schlereth for Commissioner!

Vis
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
If your defense of football could be used as a defense of the Roman Colosseum, it's a problem.

ALLD
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
This is what started it all. There has not been as big of overreaction since Janet Jackson whipped a tit out during the Super Bowl. The irony is that Merriweather, who is a Patroit had the worst hit and Harrison get the biggest fine. I guess Goodell had to even out the Pats by hitting the Steelers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqiN3xASLJY

BlastFurnace
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe the Rooney's will trade Harrison to the Ravens for a 5th round draft pick.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM

I hope fi there's a lockout, the next day the CFL suddenly announces 15 expansion teams.

ALLD
10-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I hope fi there's a lockout, the next day the CFL suddenly announces 15 expansion teams.

Change the name to North American Football League.

Vis
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM

Speaking of the CFL, John Madden had the idea that if the field was widened to the CFL width, it would eliminate some of the problem.

ALLD
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
BTW, flags were not thrown on Harrison because the action was so fast that it was impossible to determine the intent....

stlrtruck
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
BTW, flags were not thrown on Harrison because the action was so fast that it was impossible to determine the intent....

Because that's how the Silverback rolls!!!

ALLD
10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Because that's how the Silverback rolls!!!

Exactly, so how can you counter physics if the WR is moving around? Are they going to make a rule where the WR has to stand still for a second after the catch before he can advance the ball? That sounds as stupid as the commissioner.

I recently went through a similar situation where I was lectured because I did nothing to prevent an accident by somebody else which was beyond my control. I shot a world class piece of video while driving my car, of a commercial vehicle colliding with a bridge and was later lectured why I did nothing to prevent it. Nevermind that I was in a moving vehicle and distracting the driver of the other vehicle could have resulted in a different accident taking me with it. I was in a no-win situation because the people above me are incompetent and are not in touch with what goes on in real time on the ground.

Godfather
10-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Goofdell doesn't even make sense. The Cribbs hit was a lot more damaging and he worries about the Massaquoi hit?

SMR
10-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Ah....that is a nice thought. Oh well.

steelerdude15
10-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I hope you don't retire James. :pray: Your such a great player and key factor in our defense, we need you!

MULLDOG24
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM

I agree!!!!!! Hell, I think at this point I would vote for Schlereth if he ran for president!!!

NCSteeler
10-21-2010, 03:12 AM
He may have made some money but he would be on the hook to pay back about 6 million of his bonus.

Galax Steeler
10-21-2010, 03:27 AM
I can see where Harrison is mad but hopefull he will come around and keep playing football. Even Goodell would hate to see Harrison retire because he depends on Harrison for Money. Goodell sucks.