PDA

View Full Version : League is selling photo of James Harrison's hit!!

tube517
10-19-2010, 11:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/league-is-selling-photo-of-james-harrisons-illegal-hit/

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/2010-11-season-print/james-harrison-mohamed-massaquoi_321187.cfm

Ok, it's from PFT but I had to post it. HYPOCRITES! This is ridiculous. Der Kommisar is a money hungry bastard.

This is will probably get pulled by the morning

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
More hypocrisy from the league. :mad2:

http://pictures.replayphotos.com/images/NFL/xlg/national-football-league-2010-season-week-6-james-harrison-mohamed-massaquoi-nfl-1011-wk6-00264xlg.jpg

I have a feeling this is going to be my last season as a fan, unless they can the shithead masquerading as a commissioner. I've had enough.

GodfatherofSoul
10-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Wait, how did his arms get in front of him? That picture must be photoshopped!

HollywoodSteel
10-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Buy it now. They'll pull it soon. It'll be a collector's item.

I'll bet Silverback will be happy to sign it for you. :thumbsup:

HollywoodSteel
10-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Plus I've got a new avatar. Win, win!

NCSteeler
10-20-2010, 12:29 AM
never looked like a helmet shot to me. Selling photos like this is dirtier than the hit itself, just like the greatest hits dvds.

Edman
10-20-2010, 12:58 AM
More hypocrisy from the league. :mad2:

I have a feeling this is going to be my last season as a fan, unless they can the shithead masquerading as a commissioner. I've had enough.

It may as well be, with the impending league lockout coming right on up the road.

solardave
10-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Someone said somewhere that they would like to put an end to the NFL. Let's just destroy everything we've built for the last 50+ years. We've got just the ASSHOLE to put in charge. Give him 5 or so years and there will be no NFL. At least not one the fans will recognize. This will find it's own level when fans give up their season tickets and no one goes to the games, then and only then will the owners realize they made a terrible mistake making dickhead the DICK_TATOR!!!

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 02:55 AM
yeah .. this pretty much reinforces my new belief that I'm not doing anything related to the NFL anymore unless it's free. Now if only 10 or 20 million other people would follow my lead ...

solardave
10-20-2010, 03:24 AM
yeah .. this pretty much reinforces my new belief that I'm not doing anything related to the NFL anymore unless it's free. Now if only 10 or 20 million other people would follow my lead ...

If this crap continues I think you'll get your wish. I for one won't be contributing to this league as long as that poor excuse for a human being is running things. Here's an idea. Maybe the teams can get together the day before the game so they can rehearse the hits. You know so they can make them look real so us fans think the game is still physical. Kinda like pro wrestling. They can throw chairs at each other and the coaches can fake fights. They wouldn't need an 18 game season cause the games would now last about 5 hours with all the fake bullshit going on. Call it the WWNFL. (World Wimpy National Footbullshit League)

Aussie_steeler
10-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Goddell is just immortalising the day he took to the NFL with one giant sanitary napkin and cleansed the football fields of violence.

I am sure in his mind he believes that today is the day that he sanitised the footballing world and made his product more palatable to his target audience ( whoever the Fcuk they are)

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 05:01 AM
You've got to be fucking kidding me?!?! This is a new low even for the Head Moron In Charge. If I'm James Harrison, I'd have already had my agent on the phone getting him to buy the photo, and then take it to the appeal hearing. This is an absolute disgrace. :mad2:

HTG and I have tickets to the Raiders game and we intend to go, but other than that, I'm seriously considering getting in on the boycott. I can't contribute to the league as long as that jackhole is running it. I never thought anyone would be a worse commissioner than Bud Selig, but Goodell has managed to do it.

HometownGal
10-20-2010, 05:07 AM
HTG and I have tickets to the Raiders game and we intend to go, but other than that, I'm definitely in on the boycott. The NFL gets no more money from me until that jackhole is in the unemployment line.

I'm considering selling my ticket and not even going, XT. Let someone else put green in that mindless, incompetent, arrogant shitbag's pocket. He's done nothing since the day he first set foot in the league offices but drag down the sport and make a total joke out of it. :upyours: Goodildo and his kangaroo court.

willie
10-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Superman

salamander
10-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Dear Roger Goodell,

F*CK YOU!!!!!!!!

:upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours: :upyours:

Carolina Steelers
10-20-2010, 07:05 AM
Mike and Mike in the morning just talked to NFL about this. They said it was a mistake and will be taken down. They had no knowledege of this

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Translated: We didn't even think twice about it, but we'll yank it since it makes us look like hypocrites.

The reality is that the league has very little to do with the minutia of the ongoing marketing programs.

stillers4me
10-20-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm so angry right now I can hardly type.

Can someone please take the picture of Harrison body slamming a Brown's fan and photoshop Goodell into it?????

venom
10-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Mike and Mike in the morning just talked to NFL about this. They said it was a mistake and will be taken down. They had no knowledege of this

I actually e-mailed Mike and Mike this morning the article , lol

silver & black
10-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Honestly... I hope the lockout happens. It will do two things: 1- it will make the NFL look worse in the public eye, which might knock some sense into the league. 2- the Raiders won't be playing... so they won't suck for a 9th straight season.

Just George
10-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Honestly... I hope the lockout happens. It will do two things: 1- it will make the NFL look worse in the public eye, which might knock some sense into the league. 2- the Raiders won't be playing... so they won't suck for a 9th straight season.

you know I always figured the only reason they gave indy the superbowl because they knew they were gonna lock out

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

Edit: It's been an hour since CS' post and it's still up. Doesn't seem like they're in any big hurry to yank that picture, but they're damn sure to yank game streams off the Web toot sweet when they find out about them, aren't they?

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM

Make sure you don't buy any Steelers gear, get the DTV NFL package or go to games then..

Texasteel
10-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Mike and Mike in the morning just talked to NFL about this. They said it was a mistake and will be taken down. They had no knowledge of this

The biggest mistake they made was turning this league over to a know nothing, money grubbing, SOB. Goodell does not love, understand, or care about this game like the rest of us do. He just loves to be the KING.

As far as having no knowledge, they are right, they have no knowledge of this game what so ever. They won't take that picture down till a nice profit has been made, if then. Actually, I would like to have a copy of it.

Devilsdancefloor
10-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Oh they will still SUCK, but hey will not be playing football :heh:

But this is BS id do what someone suggested appeal they fine and buy one of these actually there are 2 photos different angles

silver & black
10-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Oh they will still SUCK, but hey will not be playing football :heh:

But this is BS id do what someone suggested appeal they fine and buy one of these actually there are 2 photos different angles

I expected nothing less from a Steelers fan. :wink02:

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Looks like they finally yanked it.

Texasteel
10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Looks like they finally yanked it.

Will be interesting to see if it shows again up next year.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 09:32 AM
NFL regrets the "mistake." :jerkit:

The NFL made a "mistake" having photos of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's hit on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi available for sale through its website and will take the photos down, spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday.

Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit. Pittsburgh television station KDKA first reported that the photos were for sale.

"We regret the mistake," Aiello said. "The photos will be taken down and we will ensure that no photos of illegal plays will be available again. An outside vendor uses an automated process to post photos for sale to fans. We will fix the process immediately."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706132

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Dam... That photo might be worth a lot of money some day with Silverbacks sig on it...

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 10:29 AM

Mistake my ass. :jerkit: They've been hypocritically marketing hits like those for years, and they expect us to believe this was a "mistake"? No, the only "mistake" was putting those ass clowns in charge of a major professional sports league.

43Hitman
10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
They should donate all of the money they earned off of that photo. Asshats.

memphissteelergirl
10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I never thought anyone would be a worse commissioner than Bud Selig, but Goodell has managed to do it.

And if you've sunk below Selig, you've sunk pretty damn low! :mad2:

Craic
10-20-2010, 11:29 AM

The NFL made a "mistake" having photos of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's hit on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi available for sale through its website and will take the photos down, spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday.

Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit. Pittsburgh television station KDKA first reported that the photos were for sale.

"We regret the mistake," Aiello said. "The photos will be taken down and we will ensure that no photos of illegal plays will be available again. An outside vendor uses an automated process to post photos for sale to fans. We will fix the process immediately."

Do I believe it is an automated system? Yes I do. Does that alleviate responsibility? No, it just MAKES IT WORSE.

Ok Computer people... correct me if I am wrong... but computers can only put out what humans program them to put out right? So that means pictures of certain players, or pictures tagged with tags such as "hit" "devastating" "hurt" etc. are assured to be pulled and put up for sale right?

No, it is VERY easy to tag a picture as "not available" and then use that tag to disallow that picture to be pulled by the program to be put up for sale.

Am I wrong??

steeldevil
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Roger needs to go NOW!!

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 12:17 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/180180028.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1287595922&Signature=woq0KVkqDTFqeA1ECNVWM26bPxI%3D

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/179969960.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1287596097&Signature=JwUpe61jy%2B6PhJ6ORQQJaNb2t6Y%3D

Vis
10-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Does anybody here really think that the upper echelon of the NFL pick what shots get sold on the website?

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
"We regret the mistake," Aiello said. "The photos will be taken down and we will ensure that no photos of illegal plays will be available again."Why's this one still available to buy then, Greg?

http://pictures.replayphotos.com/images/NFL/lg/national-football-league-2010-season-week-6-james-harrison--mohamed-massaquoi-nfl-1011-wk6-00017lg.jpg

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/2010-11-season-print/james-harrison--mohamed-massaquoi_320884.cfm

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Does anybody here really think that the upper echelon of the NFL pick what shots get sold on the website?

By the same token, does anyone really believe the upper echelon of the NFL truly cares about "player safety," and that "player safety" is what this whole song and dance with the newest fines is about?

Vis
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
By the same token, does anyone really believe the upper echelon of the NFL truly cares about "player safety," and that "player safety" is what this whole song and dance with the newest fines is about?

A little bit more than fans do by the posts here.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:17 PM

Yeah, that's why they're lobbying for an even longer season.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 01:17 PM

NO!!! It's a business and most large businesses do not care about their employee's (players) who make them the money to be rich...

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Baiting again Vis??:nono:

Vis
10-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, that's why they're lobbying for an even longer season.

ticket sales to people who want to see violence more than skill. Did you like the scoring in the NHL in the 80's or do you like the fighting?

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
ticket sales to people who want to see violence more than skill. Did you like the scoring in the NHL in the 80's or do you like the fighting?

I'm not a hockey fan, so neither. My personal belief is that the powers-that-be in the NFL only care about player safety insofar as how much money they lose by a player going on IR. I can do without their phony "concern." The players are nothing more than a commodity to them and that's how they're treated.

Vis
10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not a hockey fan, so neither. My personal belief is that the powers-that-be in the NFL only care about player safety insofar as how much money they lose by a player going on IR. I can do without their phony "concern." The players are nothing more than a commodity to them and that's how they're treated.

You could be right but if it actually is better for the player long term, i don't care what the reason was.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Baiting again Vis??:nono:

I didn't see it as baiting - just offering an opinion. :noidea:

cakmakli
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Now I feel even better about buying my Jerseys from a Chinese Sweatshop.

ALLD
10-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I was siding with the owners against the players for the new CBA, but now it is obvious the league and its owners cannot be trusted to make a fair deal. This recent topic changed my opinion and now I side with the players.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Make sure you don't buy any Steelers gear, get the DTV NFL package or go to games then..

That was basically my plan.

You know, at this point, I hope there IS a lockout next year. The sport has become so manufactured, and the league so blatant about rubbing our noses in it, that really the only thing keeping me interested is the fact that the Steelers have a chance at winning another title this year. Winning Super Bowl #7, followed by a lockout where everything goes to shit and the league basically destroys itself, would be about the best exit I could make as a fan of football. Same probably goes for a lot of players like Ward, Harrison, A. Smith, etc., who would be likely to retire if it happened.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 01:38 PM
I never thought anyone would be a worse commissioner than Bud Selig, but Goodell has managed to do it.

Mohammed Atta would probably make a better commissioner than Goodell.

I mean, at least Atta is dead, so he couldn't continue to screw things up any worse.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
That was basically my plan.

You know, at this point, I hope there IS a lockout next year. The sport has become so manufactured, and the league so blatant about rubbing our noses in it, that really the only thing keeping me interested is the fact that the Steelers have a chance at winning another title this year. Winning Super Bowl #7, followed by a lockout where everything goes to shit and the league basically destroys itself, would be about the best exit I could make as a fan of football. Same probably goes for a lot of players like Ward, Harrison, A. Smith, etc., who would be likely to retire if it happened.

If so then I always have the Pen's to put pull attention on... No Steelers then??? Then what's next Arena Football??

vasteeler
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
If so then I always have the Pen's to put pull attention on... No Steelers then??? Then what's next Arena Football??

xfl makes a come back

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
xfl makes a come back

"He Hate Me." :chuckle:

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 01:53 PM

What the NFL apparently doesn't understand is that football season goes on at the same time as basketball season, hockey season, college football season, European soccer season, you name it. It's not like baseball, where your only choices are to watch it or jerk off all summer.

Fact of the matter is, they were already REALLY pushing the limits of how artificial and choreographed you can make a sport and keep people's interest ... and if they keep heading own that path, it's just not going to be very interesting to me anymore, Steelers or no Steelers. Plus, it seems pretty clear to me that no matter what happens, within maybe 2-3 years, most of the familiar faces that we know and love aren't going to be on the Steelers anymore. It'll be a completely new set of people - none of whom I'm particularly attached to - and the team may not even be any good.

I'll probably be able to stay interested as long as we've got this cast of characters ... but after that, the league is kidding itself if they think I'm willing to put up with all their bullshit just so I can root for a shirt.

ALLD
10-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Why is it wrong for a player to be vicious on the field in this sport? I think the throwback uniforms make us especially mean. when we wear pink we lose.

Edman
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
It was bound to happen eventually. An asshat comes in as commish and destroys everything.

It happened to the MLB, it happened to the NBA, it happened to the NHL, and now it's the NFL's turn.

Goodell has successfully taken Rozelle's and Tag's decades-long work of turning the NFL into the country's most popular professional sports brand and driven a huge stake into it's heart. He killed the Golden Goose with his napoleonic attitude and incompetant work.

"Der Kommisar! The owners and players are at an impasse in the new CBA! If we do nothing about it, we could be without a season for 2011!"

Goodell: "Eh. Hey, let's play international games in a country that could care less about Gridiron!"

"Der Kommisar! There's an impending lockout on the horizon! What can we do about it?"

Goodell: "Eh, too much work. But I have a better idea! I propose an 18-game season!"

"Der Kommisar! There are violent hits in the game of football!"

Goodell: "Violence in a fundamentally contact sport? This is an outrage! Send out fines to all perpetrators! Oh, and put a halt on those Violent Hits DVD's we keep selling, but only for a while until the heat dies down."

MULLDOG24
10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Wow man what a turn of events I mean ya wake up Monday morning and your feeling good cause the Steelers clobbered the Browns Silverback had 2 vicious hits and all is good. Wake up Wed. morning and the NFL has made yet another bonehead move and Silverback is contemplating retirement WTF!!!!! I agree with most in that the sport in general has been going down hill ever since Roger "GOOD DEAL" has taken over. I guess the egotistical SOB gets his way again.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Here is a hard hitting photo I would buy..

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/canon_10_wk_4_01.jpg

Vis
10-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Here is a hard hitting photo I would buy..

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/canon_10_wk_4_01.jpg

I good change would be kicking players who lose their helmets on a play off for a few plays. They would help them remember to strap and to where ones that ate tight enough to work. Loose helmets feel better but work less.

cold-hard-steel
10-20-2010, 04:38 PM
To fine a player for doing his job on a play where there was no flag called is overstepping your authority. We could go deeper on this but i don't have the time. Maybe we can play the games on X-box,or maddens,and then noone will get hurt. Every athlete knows the dangers of thier chosen field. Nascar knows it,they could die at any corner. Baseball players,and or coaches could get killed with a foul ball,or a broken bat.I hate to use such language on a forum where some children may be watching in,so i won't. Mess off Goodell !!!!!!!!

7SteelGal43
10-20-2010, 05:01 PM
I heard Rush talking about "the hits" today, and well, see for yourself....

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-addresses-Harrison-situation/d05639b9-9f5e-4e59-b2d3-c11576317afb

Tuesday he (Harrison) had received notification from the league of a $75,000 fine along with a warning that “future offenses will result in an escalation of fines up to and including suspension"

(Harrison) How can I continue to play this game the way I’ve been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?

In the same interview, Harrison said he would start Wednesday by meeting with Tomlin, and one of the things he was considering was whether he could continue to play professional football.

I couldn't blame Harrison for walking away, but wouldn't that be some fecal matter ?! Word is he hasn't been at practice this week but after meeting with Tomlin, looks like he'll practice thursday.

steelpride12
10-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Line backers coming on ESPN just outraged right now about this and I love it! They played when the sport was allowed to be violent and any hit was fare, that was real NFL football.

BnG_Hevn
10-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Do I believe it is an automated system? Yes I do. Does that alleviate responsibility? No, it just MAKES IT WORSE.

Ok Computer people... correct me if I am wrong... but computers can only put out what humans program them to put out right? So that means pictures of certain players, or pictures tagged with tags such as "hit" "devastating" "hurt" etc. are assured to be pulled and put up for sale right?

No, it is VERY easy to tag a picture as "not available" and then use that tag to disallow that picture to be pulled by the program to be put up for sale.

Am I wrong??

The way it probably works is that photographers take a bunch of pictures and upload them to the server that is "automatically" putting them into the system. But regardless, the photos would HAVE to be viewed by human eyes at one point or another, otherwise you'd have a bunch of worthless photos taking up screen space.

Is it automated? Not 100%. Chances are though the pics were uploaded before all this hoopla started.

HometownGal
10-20-2010, 08:30 PM

This. ^^ :applaudit: Couldn't have put it any better.