PDA

View Full Version : Harrison fined $75 K

stillers4me
10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
...as a "repeat offender". :upyours:

@Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter) RT @mortreport (http://twitter.com/mortreport): Reported on NFL Live - James Harrison fined $75,000 as repeat offender, Dunta Robinson $50,000, $50,000 for B. Meriwether.

oneforthetoe
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Just hear on ESPN. The other two fined were for 50K each. Harrison's words after the game probably hurt him here.

Bogus. NFL Network said Harrison was a repeat offender so that is why he got a bigger fine. However, the titans CB (can't remember his named) was fined three straight games. Truth is the NFL is afraid of what Harrison could do on the field. He is the biggest player on the listr of potential violaters as a former defensive player of the year. Take down the biggest dog is Roger the Dodgers Modus operandi.

Also the Patriots get a 3rd round draft pick.

Galax Steeler
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Bull shit what is up with this league.

Steelman
10-19-2010, 03:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b74d6e/article/league-fines-harrison-meriweather-robinson-for-hits?module=breaking_news

Also on NFL.com.

BS! Total and complete BS.

polamalubeast
10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
GOODELL SUCKS
GOODELL SUCKS
GOODELL SUCKS
GOODELL SUCKS

fansince'76

It's being ruined by an incompetent asshat.

Steelman
And apparently a hit in the Tennesse game was "added" to the mix? Really? WTF?

BPS3akaWirels3
10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
...as a "repeat offender". :upyours:

@Adam_Schefter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter) RT @mortreport (http://twitter.com/mortreport): Reported on NFL Live - James Harrison fined $75,000 as repeat offender, Dunta Robinson $50,000, $50,000 for B. Meriwether.

How do you fine someone for this that had no penalty called on the play?? I just don't understand..

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 03:58 PM
And apparently a hit in the Tennesse game was "added" to the mix? Really? WTF?

I imagine Ben will get two more games for this as well. :coffee:

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Complete bullshit. Both of those other hits were more flagrant than the one by Harrison on Massaquoi. Are they fining Harrison for the LEGAL hit on Cribbs too? Are they going to try to run Harrison out of the league because he plays too rough?

I think that the real football fans need to start protesting the NFL until they stop trying to destroy the game. As of right now I will no longer buy any NFL licensed product or attend any NFL games.

stillers4me
10-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I imagine Ben will get two more games for this as well. :coffee:

And the Pats* get an additional draft pick.

stillers4me
10-19-2010, 04:01 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/250042842/tiops_normal.gif
Insidepghsports (http://twitter.com/#!/Insidepghsports) Will DePaoli

Agent says Harrison will appeal fine: http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/james-harrison-fined-75k-for-helmet-to-helmet-hits/30668/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/james-harrison-fined-75k-for-helmet-to-helmet-hits/30668/)

polamalubeast
10-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Insidepghsports (http://twitter.com/#!/Insidepghsports) Will DePaoli

Agent says Harrison will appeal fine: http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/james-harrison-fined-75k-for-helmet-to-helmet-hits/30668/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/james-harrison-fined-75k-for-helmet-to-helmet-hits/30668/)

Good Job Harrison

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Alright, while I wasn't happy with the hits, this seems a bit excessive to me. However, he can lay some of the blame for the fine on his own words. Openly admitting you are trying to hurt players does nothing to help his own cause here.

stillers4me
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
His words shouldn't matter. Only the play on the field.

Do you think if he was the groveling type like Ochosucko that the fine would have been less??

O'Malley
10-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Twice! No flag on the Vince Young play as well.

GodfatherofSoul
10-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Goodell's PR-based leadership style. Go wherever press coverage blows you. An insanely high fine for a play that was right under the ref's noses, yet they didn't think warranted a penalty. This wasn't some lineman grabbing a crotch in the scrum! The good news is the sportscasters are going to explode over this, then the PR winds will blow "No conviction" Goodell back the other way.

kmsteelerwr15
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Insidepghsports (http://twitter.com/#%21/Insidepghsports) Will DePaoli

Hopefully it involves dropping that asshat of a commish we have

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
His words shouldn't matter. Only the play on the field.

Do you think if he was the groveling type like Ochosucko that the fine would have been less??

When you openly admit you try to hit players shortly after knocking two players out of the game...yes, his words matter...because it makes his play on the field look dirtier than what it might actually be.

Ochocrappo is already on the NFL's shitlist because he is continually doing things to get under their skin (the endzone dances, proposing to a cheerlead, holding up silly signs, etc...) He's a bad example. I think that if this was Timmons, Farrior or Troy P...the fine would have been smaller. They're not near as "mouthy" as Harrison.

Burghfan58
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Merriweathers hit was actually the only true helmet to helmet and he launched himself as well. But that's Goodell math he gets 25000 less than Harrison. Goodells arbitrary rulings are getting on my nerves.

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Alright, while I wasn't happy with the hits, this seems a bit excessive to me. However, he can lay some of the blame for the fine on his own words. Openly admitting you are trying to hurt players does nothing to help his own cause here.

Any pussy who says that they don't want their hits to hurt an opposing player has forgotten everything they've been taught since midget football. They need to switch to soccer, or move to Cleveland.

SteelerEmpire
10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Man I'm mad as h*ll... If I bought a ticket to a game I'd want my money back...!!

solardave
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM

ROGER, HE'S TOUCHIN ME!! What a crock of shit. Someone should shoot Goodell and do the league a favor. What a phony dickhead!! The guy could give two shits about player safety. He is going to ruin the NFL.

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
ROGER, HE'S TOUCHIN ME!! What a crock of shit. Someone should shoot Goodell and do the league a favor. What a phony dickhead!! The guy could give two shits about player safety. He is going to ruin the NFL.

Going to? He already has. This is just going to add more offense to the NFL and teams are going to be flying up and down the field. Defenders are now going to be missing tackles because they have to stop and think about where/how they're allowed to hit an offensive player before they can touch him.

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Going to? He already has. This is just going to add more offense to the NFL and teams are going to be flying up and down the field. Defenders are now going to be missing tackles because they have to stop and think about where/how they're allowed to hit an offensive player before they can touch him.

Not to mention all the weak-ass arm tackles ballcarriers are going to run right through.

tube517
10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
As ridiculous as this fine is, Harrison might as well have just stepped to the side and stuck his foot out to trip him. He would've been flagged for tripping but he would have saved $75,000. (Obvious sarcasm).

Delraich
10-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Really wanted a Wallace jersey this xmas and the wife already said it was mine but I'm not going to support this league through merchandise or tickets any longer.
You can bet the house that if Harrison so even breaths hard on one of the Dolphins this week he is going to get ejected and or suspended. Woodley, Clark, Timmons or any other member of what may be the last good defense the league will ever see is safe. No one on this team is safe not even on offence.
When I was a child I loved baseball, went to several games every year. One day I grew up and realized that the sport wasn't played on an even playing field when one team could just afford better players then the rest of the league so after 12 to 15 years of being a religious fan I just quit cold turkey and it still breaks my heart. Now the game I love is going to ruin itself. I'm so angry right now I can't even think straight.

Fuck you Roger!!!!

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Really wanted a Wallace jersey this xmas and the wife already said it was mine but I'm not going to support this league through merchandise or tickets any longer.
You can bet the house that if Harrison so even breaths hard on one of the Dolphins this week he is going to get ejected and or suspended. Woodley, Clark, Timmons or any other member of what may be the last good defense the league will ever see is safe. No one on this team is safe not even on offence.
When I was a child I loved baseball, went to several games every year. One day I grew up and realized that the sport wasn't played on an even playing field when one team could just afford better players then the rest of the league so after 12 to 15 years of being a religious fan I just quit cold turkey and it still breaks my heart. Now the game I love is going to ruin itself. I'm so angry right now I can't even think straight.

Fuck you Roger!!!!

Yep. I'm not buying any more NFL merchandise either. Might just swear the sport off altogether and find something else to do on Sunday afternoons during the fall if (more like when) there is a protracted lockout next year.

ALLD
10-19-2010, 05:03 PM
If I was a player this would be my biggest beef with the owners. Goodell is trying to make the league office bigger than the game itself. He makes $8 million per year and it has gone to his head. I used to think the "Roger Goodell Sucks" was a bit over-the-top, but yes, he is screwing up right here.

You hit the other player in order to make them submit. That is part of the game. Some people are trying to turn it into a video game.

Delraich
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Yep. I'm not buying any more NFL merchandise either. Might just swear the sport off altogether and find something else to do on Sunday afternoons during the fall if (more like when) there is a protracted lockout next year.

I'm actually hoping for a lockout or strike next year. Someone is going to have to loose some money before Roger is going to get fired. Until that happens this sport will continue to go down hill.

Steelers33
10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
what bullshit. goodell has made this a damn pussy league

Count Steeler
10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Here's an idea, let the offensive players wear skirts. Oh yeah, someone said that about quarterbacks about 30 years ago.

The game is about highlights and knocking people into tomorrow. You can't train and teach aggression and then try to pull back the reins. Will this become the National Flag League?

Hindes204
10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Man, I wish they would just let these guys play he game. I understand protecting the players bit cmon, when is it gonna end. Pretty soon the defensive players are going to start missing tackles because they have to hold back in fear of a suspension.

Burghfan58
10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Dear Mr. Goodell, instead of wearing uniforms and helmets I propose all the players wear those big padded sumo outfits in team colors. That way no one will get hurt.

polamalubeast
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Goodell is the spirit to kill football.

I wish he was fired before it is too late.

Goodell sucks.

He is a moron.

steeldevil
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
This clown is going to ruin the game as we know it. He needs to be fired, however that is done...

Delraich
10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
As bad as the fine to Harrison is the one to the Falcons DB Dunta Robinson is even worse. That play was textbook perfect. In the pre-Goodell NFL other teams would be watching the film from that play to show there own guys how it should be done. Meriwethers hit is the only one that should be a fine, it was cheap and dirty and I'd be all for a suspension for that.

Bluecoat96
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
What really pisses me off is that it seems the almighty fuhrer Goodell just makes crap up as he goes along. I want to see how he or his cronies come up with these fines/suspensions. Where is it in writing? What's the benchmark for how much/little someone can be suspended/fined? Where's a copy of the player conduct policy? Does it exist?

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Any pussy who says that they don't want their hits to hurt an opposing player has forgotten everything they've been taught since midget football. They need to switch to soccer, or move to Cleveland.

Saying that you are trying to hurt people isn't the way to go about it...even if you take pride in bringing the pain. Midget league doesn't teach you to hurt people. JR and HS doesn't teach you to hurt people. College doesn't teach you to hurt people.

Giving all of your effort is OK (so long as it's within the rules) and if pain is involved, well it's a violent sport. Flaunting that you are trying to hurt people is moronic. It makes you look and sound dirty, even if you're not. Harrison is a high motor player who plays with a serious edge...but he just gave Goodell the impression that he is a dirty player.

Delraich
10-19-2010, 05:32 PM
When Godell had the evidence destroyed that showed the Pastericks cheating it pissed me off but I thought at the time he was trying to protect the league and just chalked it up to making a bad decision. This new rule, the 18 game season, and talk of having a Super Bowl out of country is nothing less then treasonous. He doesn't give a shit about players or the game, all he really cares about is making more money. If he is allowed to reach his goals, he and the current owners will become richer but the league will suffer and years from now after he's away from the game everyone playing and the owners will have far less riches.

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 05:35 PM
When Godell had the evidence destroyed that showed the Pastericks cheating it pissed me off but I thought at the time he was trying to protect the league and just chalked it up to making a bad decision. This new rule, the 18 game season, and talk of having a Super Bowl out of country is nothing less then treasonous. He doesn't give a shit about players or the game, all he really cares about is making more money. If he is allowed to reach his goals, he and the current owners will become richer but the league will suffer and years from now after he's away from the game everyone playing and the owners will have far less riches.

First off, nice avatar. Secondly, yes, he is ruining the game. It is a business, but it's not like a standard business...and there has to be more then the bottom line in mind when they make rules/plan for the future.

The Duke
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, Goodell does need the cash to buy the flags for his dream league

I would love it if Lambert had a talk with goodell. Set some things straight

Kaeg
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
In similar news: Professional boxing has now decided to tone down the violence. Opponents are now required to wear soft gloves and must only slap each other and throw insults. As of this writing, "Yo mama" jokes may be considered too offensive. There is still further study pending. Closed fists will be punished by heavy penalties and suspensions. The UFC is now considering similar rules changes.

Delraich
10-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Last time I looked there were far more serious head injuries in soccer then football. If the sport didn't put me to sleep I might try watching soccer it'd be really hard to change a sport that's basically been the same for 1000 years.

Mamaduck43
10-19-2010, 05:47 PM
If Roger had his way, they would already be selling tickets to the Cowboy/Patriots Super Bowl at Texas Stadium for this season, and let the other teams fend for themselves.... This is a total abuse of power and I am sad to say that I have lived long enough to see the Glory years of NFL football and have watched the demise of the game as it was meant to be played... All at the hands of one self-promoted 'keeper of the safety'...... Good grief......

Delraich
10-19-2010, 05:52 PM
Sitting here arguing this with my wife she just said this could be Godell giving the Pasterick a last chance for a championship while they still have Marsha because they don't exactly have a good defense and this will make the other teams defense less effective. Does Kraft have sex tapes of Rogers momma or something?

X-Terminator
10-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Sitting here arguing this with my wife she just said this could be Godell giving the Pasterick a last chance for a championship while they still have Marsha because they don't exactly have a good defense and this will make the other teams defense less effective. Does Kraft have sex tapes of Rogers momma or something?

I put NOTHING past the limp-dicked pussy that is Kommissar Goodell.

I think I'm going to join the rest of you and not buy another NFL product. That smug son of a bitch is ruining the league, and I'm not going to put one more cent into his pocket. Yeah, that may indirectly hurt the Steelers and I feel bad about that, but it's time to make a statement, dammit. He needs to be shitcanned, and yesterday.

The Patriot
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
A typical Rugby game will have 2 to 3 concussions, the NFL has 3 concussions in a week of games and everybody freaks out. Aren't they professionals? Isn't there a certain amount of risk in being a professional football player?

I don't mind if launching is a penalty, but suspensions? really?!

ALLD
10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
It is obvious to me they are trying their best to prevent this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgydmRtRCA

steelpride12
10-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Wait these are professionals getting paid millions am I correct!? GODell is not only making this a pussy league where players will be afraid to make hits, but he is ruining the league as a whole. It's sad compared to the 70's and the past as a whole when slamming players, helmet hits were allowed and loved by the players and fans. They get payed the big money for a reason and know the consequence of the game, flag football here we come.

Butch
10-19-2010, 07:24 PM

Are you freakin' joking??? I guess ravens players can tweet about bounties on Hines and Mendy and it goes away as a fart in the wind, but when Harrison says he's out to hurt someone legally it's legal reason to nail him to a cross??? Maybe you are just trying to explain the league's double standards?? Please explain.

Butch
10-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Go To Hell Roger Godell and take those pieces of shit brushi and rodney harrison both of whom played on a team that freakin' cheated and now both are calling out James Harrison.

SCREW EM ALL!!!

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Are you freakin' joking??? I guess ravens players can tweet about bounties on Hines and Mendy and it goes away as a fart in the wind, but when Harrison says he's out to hurt someone legally it's legal reason to nail him to a cross??? Maybe you are just trying to explain the league's double standards?? Please explain.

You mis-read what I wrote. The fine is excessive. Period. Part of the blame for his excessive fine is because of him admitting he is trying to hurt players. It doesn't change that the fine is excessive, but it did lead to the excessiveness. As for the Ratbirds...can't stand them at all. Especially Ray "Thug" Lewis. Please don't get me riled up over them. I'm a die-hard born and bred Cleveland fan.

I wasn't pleased with the hits that Harrison delieved because he wasn't trying to tackle a player, just knock the crap out of them. That's not basic football fundamentals. I don't think the hits deserved 75K in fines though.

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 07:42 PM
Saying that you are trying to hurt people isn't the way to go about it...even if you take pride in bringing the pain. Midget league doesn't teach you to hurt people. JR and HS doesn't teach you to hurt people. College doesn't teach you to hurt people.

They all teach you to level the guy with everything you got and you want it to hurt as much as possible. You want them to become timid the next time they run the ball. If you can knock him out of the game with a clean hit, that's a good thing. You don't want anyone injured, but to say that you don't want to inflict pain is BS.

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I wasn't pleased with the hits that Harrison delieved because he wasn't trying to tackle a player, just knock the crap out of them. That's not basic football fundamentals.

Football 101: If you are on defense, knock the crap out of the ball carrier.

Hard to get more fundamental than that.

salamander
10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I just closely watched all 3 hits. The only blatant looking hit was the hit on Todd Heap. I hate the Ravens as much as everyone else, but that was just totally blatant. Dunta Robinson's hit on Jackson was a good, legal hit... led with his shoulders, not to the head. Harrison's hit on the Brown's player (can't spell his name) definitely didn't look blatant to me but maybe that's just the homer in me.

O'Malley
10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I just closely watched all 3 hits. The only blatant looking hit was the hit on Todd Heap. I hate the Ravens as much as everyone else, but that was just totally blatant. Dunta Robinson's hit on Jackson was a good, legal hit... led with his shoulders, not to the head. Harrison's hit on the Brown's player (can't spell his name) definitely didn't look blatant to me but maybe that's just the homer in me.

Head across the bow=clean hit! The fact there was no flag backs it even more! Goddell's bullshit hidden agenda. He has already picked who will be in the Super Bowl now he is doing his damndest to make it happen.

Butch
10-19-2010, 07:56 PM
You mis-read what I wrote. The fine is excessive. Period. Part of the blame for his excessive fine is because of him admitting he is trying to hurt players. It doesn't change that the fine is excessive, but it did lead to the excessiveness. As for the Ratbirds...can't stand them at all. Especially Ray "Thug" Lewis. Please don't get me riled up over them. I'm a die-hard born and bred Cleveland fan.

I wasn't pleased with the hits that Harrison delieved because he wasn't trying to tackle a player, just knock the crap out of them. That's not basic football fundamentals. I don't think the hits deserved 75K in fines though.

Sorry but that reasoning don't wash with me. If freakin ravens can tweet about a bounty and not get fined then Harrison's words are just as meaningless.

He got fined because Go To Hell Godell's panties get all moist when he can fine a Steeler player. This fine is nothing more than a way to try to intimidate the Steelers because putting our QB out for 4 games didn't work so well.

Godell can rot in Hell as far as I am concerned.

stillers4me
10-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Andthe kicker in all this is that coaches and owners can't say a damn thing about it or else Herr Kommishioner will fine them, too.

RushHard34
10-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I wonder if Rooney breaks the bank and chips in for this....

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
I wish Steeler Nation could generate a fine fund and maybe even get some corporate sponsors to match donations. I'd never normally suggest that fans assume a fine for a guy that makes plenty of money, but the message that it would send to the league would be well worth it.

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Sorry but that reasoning don't wash with me. If freakin ravens can tweet about a bounty and not get fined then Harrison's words are just as meaningless.

He got fined because Go To Hell Godell's panties get all moist when he can fine a Steeler player. This fine is nothing more than a way to try to intimidate the Steelers because putting our QB out for 4 games didn't work so well.

Godell can rot in Hell as far as I am concerned.
I think they should have been fined...I'm not justifying Goodell's lack of action against the Ratbirds...I'm just saying that Harrison's words (combined with his actions) didn't help his cause any bit at all.

Football 101: If you are on defense, knock the crap out of the ball carrier.

Hard to get more fundamental than that.
Bullshit. Yes, you drive through the player, yes you hit them hard...but it's not about knocking the crap out of the player. You aren't taught to throw yourself (head first) at a ball carrier. You are taught to wrap them up. Harrison never made an attempt to wrap anybody up with those two hits. He was leaning, head first, towards the player with the attempt at hurting them. Period. Even the shot on Massaquoi was a head first, then arms extended (after contact). There was no attempt to tackle, just to knock the crap out of him. That's not football fundamentals.

They all teach you to level the guy with everything you got and you want it to hurt as much as possible. You want them to become timid the next time they run the ball. If you can knock him out of the game with a clean hit, that's a good thing. You don't want anyone injured, but to say that you don't want to inflict pain is BS.
See above. It's not about NOT infliciting pain (I never said to inflict no pain...and never will), but you have to stick with real football fundamentals...and add the pain to it.

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Bullshit. Yes, you drive through the player, yes you hit them hard...but it's not about knocking the crap out of the player.

Never played in Ohio, so apparently you guys are taught a different brand of football.

I bet instead of orange slices for midget football players, you probably got tofu Vienna Sausages on one of those frilly toothpicks.

Delraich
10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Never played in Ohio, so apparently you guys are taught a different brand of football.

I bet instead of orange slices for midget football players, you probably got tofu Vienna Sausages on one of those frilly toothpicks.

Being from Ohio I can assure you that we cannot afford tofu Vienna Sausages let alone toothpicks.

steeldawg
10-19-2010, 08:32 PM
This type of rule is going to lead to alot of season ending and career ending knee injuries. Defensive players will be forced to go low on players and with that type of force its bye bye knees.

Delraich
10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
This type of rule is going to lead to alot of season ending and career ending knee injuries. Defensive players will be forced to go low on players and with that type of force its bye bye knees.

Sadly that may be the only way to end this stupid rule. I'm sure the NFLPA couldn't sit by if this started to happen.

HometownGal
10-19-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd have loved if Goodildo had been Commissioner back in the 70's and would have levied a fine like this against Lambert. Lambert would have paid him a personal visit and fed him his own teeth for dinner. :heh:

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 08:37 PM
We were taught to never ease up and you nail the guy with everything you got. What GitNoLuv is proposing is that you should only exert as much force needed to wrap up the guy and get him to the ground. Any more force than that should draw a fine. That's ridiculous.

If Harrison thinks that he can lay a legal hit on someone and it will likely hurt them, the only way for him to not "try to hurt people with his hits" is to let up. I've never heard of any coach that told their players to contact with less than maximum force.

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 08:39 PM
I'd have loved if Goodildo had been Commissioner back in the 70's and would have levied a fine like this against Lambert. Lambert would have paid him a personal visit and fed him his own teeth for dinner. :heh:

Lambert was as politically incorrect as it gets too - Harrison's comments about "hurting people" is child's play compared to some of the stuff Lambert would have popped off with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

X-Terminator
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Bullshit. Yes, you drive through the player, yes you hit them hard...but it's not about knocking the crap out of the player. You aren't taught to throw yourself (head first) at a ball carrier. You are taught to wrap them up. Harrison never made an attempt to wrap anybody up with those two hits. He was leaning, head first, towards the player with the attempt at hurting them. Period. Even the shot on Massaquoi was a head first, then arms extended (after contact). There was no attempt to tackle, just to knock the crap out of him. That's not football fundamentals.

And in both instances, if the players don't duck their heads, they don't get KOed. Especially on the Massaquoi hit. If he doesn't bend over to try to get the ball, Harrison hit him in the gut and NOT his head. And one of YOUR OWN players said the Cribbs hit was clean and legal, and the league agreed. He was the ballcarrier for Christ's sake - are you really saying they shouldn't be allowed to hit the ballcarrier? But you Browns fans don't want to seem to acknowledge any of that. No, it's ALL Harrison and your players have absolutely no responsibility for their injuries. And in so doing, you are contributing to the further pussification of the league.

GitNoLuv
10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
We were taught to never ease up and you nail the guy with everything you got. What GitNoLuv is proposing is that you should only exert as much force needed to wrap up the guy and get him to the ground. Any more force than that should draw a fine. That's ridiculous.

If Harrison thinks that he can lay a legal hit on someone and it will likely hurt them, the only way for him to not "try to hurt people with his hits" is to let up. I've never heard of any coach that told their players to contact with less than maximum force.

Wow. What's ridiculous is you putting words into my mouth. Are you a foreigner and don't take English as your first language? What is so hard about reading EXACTLY as I write and nothing more? Where is this left field bullshit coming from?

I never once said players shouldn't give it their all on the field. Not once. Go back and read my posts. The one comment I did make is that players should be trying to TACKLE the ball carrier...not just knock them around. Harrison did not make an attempt to tackle either Cribbs or Massaquoi...he just tried to knock the piss out of them by leading with his helmet. Same with Dunta Robinson. Same with Merrieweather (who clearly made a legitimately dirty play.)

And in both instances, if the players don't duck their heads, they don't get KOed. Especially on the Massaquoi hit. If he doesn't bend over to try to get the ball, Harrison hit him in the gut and NOT his head. And one of YOUR OWN players said the Cribbs hit was clean and legal, and the league agreed. But you Browns fans don't want to seem to acknowledge that. No, it's ALL Harrison and your players have absolutely no responsibility for their injuries. And in so doing, you are contributing to the further pussification of the league.

A clean hit does not make it a sound football fundamental tackle. There's a huge difference. He led with his helmet, legal or not, with no intent on tackling Cribbs or Massaquoi. Period. His intent was to hit as hard as he could and cause as much pain as possible...without regard as to wether he was actually making a tackle.

X-Terminator
10-19-2010, 09:05 PM
A clean hit does not make it a sound football fundamental tackle. There's a huge difference. He led with his helmet, legal or not, with no intent on tackling Cribbs or Massaquoi. Period. His intent was to hit as hard as he could and cause as much pain as possible...without regard as to wether he was actually making a tackle.

OK well then let's break out the flags and be done with it. That way, no one gets hit too hard, and everyone gets to sleep at night. I cannot believe fans have become this damn soft over the years, but then again, I shouldn't be surprised. It's the new American way.

How about this - punish the truly flagrant offenses like Merriweather on Heap, and leave the rest of it alone? Hasn't the game been pussified enough already???

This league is doomed as long as there are fans who have this kind of thinking. And with Kommissar Goodell in charge, it'll be exactly what they deserve.

JayC
10-19-2010, 09:35 PM

i'm not for injuring players 99.9% of the time but honestly i hope harrison goes low on a player and knocks him out for the season. fucking goodell.

Burghfan58
10-19-2010, 09:39 PM
What's really sad about this is none of the current players I've heard commenting on this situation think suspensions are a good idea.

Nadroj 20
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
This is bull, I dont think they were even that bad of hits especially the 2nd one, he used his arms.

And Robinsons looked clean to me too!

luis cosenza
10-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Evening all. New poster here. Steeler fan for a very long time. Thoguht you all might enjoy my mock Goodell letter;

Dear players,
By now you all have heard about the sweeping changes we are making to the way we play football. I wanted to let all of you know about some other changes we are making as well.
Effective immediately, we will no longer be wearing ...shoulder pads or helmets. Offensive and defensive linemen are no longer required. We will be playing 7 on 7 football, and you are not allowed to blitz the quarterback. The hone team will have the option of playing 2 hand touch, or flag football. If you score a touchdown, you are required to shake the hand of the defensive player you just beat. If they mope, or are totally shaken up, you are automatically to go to timeout. This is non debatable. We will not tolerate feelings being hurt. In addition, there will be no celebrating of any kind. If you high five a teammate, you are to go to time out.
Another chance we are making is in our conduct policy. If you are accused of a crime, you are automatically suspended for 4 games, no questions asked. I do not care if you are charged or convicted. On the other hand, if you were to kill a man while driving your car drunk, I will only suspend you for the rest ofte year. After you complete your 45 day jail sentence, I will re-instate you immediately.
Please know that we are making these changes for your good and welfare. After all, you all are my money makers. If I do not have you guys playing, the league will not be the same.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or any of my cronies in the New York Office
Roger

SteelerFanInStl
10-19-2010, 09:46 PM

See above. It's not about NOT infliciting pain (I never said to inflict no pain...and never will), but you have to stick with real football fundamentals...and add the pain to it.

Do you understand the concept of forcing turnovers? Harrison did exactly what he's supposed to do on both of those plays. On the Cribbs play, Woodley had Cribbs wrapped up already. Players are taught in that situation to come in and try to knock the ball loose. That means knocking the crap out of the ball carrier, which is what James did. On the Massaquoi play, the receiver was trying to catch the ball. James came in and knocked the crap out of him to keep him from catching it. What's he supposed to do, let him catch the ball, wait for him to turn around and then hit him? That seems to be what the NFL thinks. If Massaquoi doesn't bobble the ball and duck his head, James doesn't hit him in the head.

Shoes
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Goodell seems so concerned about player safety, I guess that's why he wants an 18 game season. He's the kind that issues from a dog's rear end.

steelerdude15
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I find these fines a little excessive. Yes, the players should be protected, but my God, football isn't football anymore. You know what I find odd how this year with the most speculation about head injuries compared to other years, we've actually had nearly double the head injuries in the first six weeks compared to the past three years. It seems the more the NFL worries, the more head injuries actually occur, odd isn't it?

GBMelBlount
10-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Although I understand the "spirit" of this, the reality is these "big government" boneheads somehow think they can legislate a football utopia.

It's getting ridiculous folks.

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Evening all. New poster here. Steeler fan for a very long time. Thoguht you all might enjoy my mock Goodell letter;

Dear players,
By now you all have heard about the sweeping changes we are making to the way we play football. I wanted to let all of you know about some other changes we are making as well.
Effective immediately, we will no longer be wearing ...shoulder pads or helmets. Offensive and defensive linemen are no longer required. We will be playing 7 on 7 football, and you are not allowed to blitz the quarterback. The hone team will have the option of playing 2 hand touch, or flag football. If you score a touchdown, you are required to shake the hand of the defensive player you just beat. If they mope, or are totally shaken up, you are automatically to go to timeout. This is non debatable. We will not tolerate feelings being hurt. In addition, there will be no celebrating of any kind. If you high five a teammate, you are to go to time out.
Another chance we are making is in our conduct policy. If you are accused of a crime, you are automatically suspended for 4 games, no questions asked. I do not care if you are charged or convicted. On the other hand, if you were to kill a man while driving your car drunk, I will only suspend you for the rest ofte year. After you complete your 45 day jail sentence, I will re-instate you immediately.
Please know that we are making these changes for your good and welfare. After all, you all are my money makers. If I do not have you guys playing, the league will not be the same.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or any of my cronies in the New York Office
Roger

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

Welcome to the board! Great post! :drink:

stillers4me
10-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Dear players,
Roger

Welcome to SU!!

Goodell may just as well throw out the NFL rule book, because it looks he 's just going to make it all up as he goes along. I don't even know if there's a way to get this guy out of the league. Maybe the owners would have to have a secret meeting in the middle of the night and make up a few rules of their own.

I'm betting they'll all tow the company line.

steelreserve
10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Wow, between this kind of horseshit, and the labor dispute, and the greedy 18-game season, they sure seem to breaking their necks to ensure the fans lose interest. If they have a lockout, I probably will go start following soccer just out of spite.

Oh yeah -- on the hit topis, as other have said, Merriweather's was the only one that was a dirty play. I don't see how fining other guys $50-75K for unlucky collisions does anything to correct that.

tube517
10-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Now Deebo is considering retirement???????

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Now Deebo is considering retirement???????

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit

Doubt he leaves all that money remaining on his contract on the table, however, from the "comments" section of that article:

Harrison is like every other "stealer" player; cheap, whiny, and worthless unless he is playing dirty. "I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. Really? Your basically admitting to being ineffective unless you are putting dirty hits on other players. Grow a pair and leave the league Harrison PLEASE. We will all be better with you gone.Between a douchebag of a commissioner who lets the media dictate his disciplinary policy and the collection of whiners and pussies who call themselves "fans" like the one who made that comment, I couldn't blame him if he did actually walk away.

SirHulka
10-20-2010, 02:00 AM

Five frogs are sitting on a log. Four of them decide to jump off. How many frogs are left?

Five.

Why? There's a big difference between deciding and doing.

The Ratbirds didn't get fined because they didn't do anything. Harrison did. And more importantly, he wasn't sorry he did it, and was defiant about it. If he'd have just STFU he wouldn't have been singled out. Of course the fine was excessive. But it wasn't so much for the hit as his attitude and comments after. And you can bet your last dollar that he's under the microscope from here on in. The league will make an example of him. Expect him to get suspended probably twice this year.

Butch
10-20-2010, 02:02 AM
I have watched the play on masaque (sp) and as was stated by someone else he bobbles the ball and in the process of going low to retrieve it (crouching) Harrison hits him. You can clearly see that it was just as much the receivers fault or even just bad luck as anything.

As for Harrison's retirement I'm sure that is exactly what Go To Hell Godell wants, nothing would suit him more than to have Great Steeler players off his playing fields.

Hell maybe all the Defensive players in the league should protest this by not showing up for games starting this week. Send a message to the rest of the league that is what Godell wants so show the fans and the league what they are going to get.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Between a douchebag of a commissioner who lets the media dictate his disciplinary policy and the collection of whiners and pussies who call themselves "fans" like the one who made that comment, I couldn't blame him if he did actually walk away.

That's one of the things that's turning me off the most about the NFL in the past 3-4 years. Even more than all the stupid rules, it's the fact that for a SIGNIFICANT portion of football fans, the #1 pastime has become bitching that there should have been a penalty. And not for offsides or holding, or ... you know ... REAL penalties. Bitching that there should have been arbitrary penalties for a late hit out of bounds, or taunting, or hitting the quarterback too hard, or some phantom pass interference call that the receivers wave their arms for after every time they don't catch the ball -- or now the latest fad, helmet-to-helmet contact. The same people who complain that the rule-crazy NFL is ruining the game (which it is) are the ones who buy into the lemming PR hype and basically encourage the dickhead commissioner to ruin it even more. Pretty sad if you ask me, and if that's the way it keeps going, it's not long before, say, baseball starts regaining some of its appeal simply because there's none of the bullshit.

fansince'76
10-20-2010, 02:23 AM
That's one of the things that's turning me off the most about the NFL in the past 3-4 years. Even more than all the stupid rules, it's the fact that for a SIGNIFICANT portion of football fans, the #1 pastime has become bitching that there should have been a penalty. And not for offsides or holding, or ... you know ... REAL penalties. Bitching that there should have been arbitrary penalties for a late hit out of bounds, or taunting, or hitting the quarterback too hard, or some phantom pass interference call that the receivers wave their arms for after every time they don't catch the ball -- or now the latest fad, helmet-to-helmet contact.

Yep, and even more maddening is the fact that the jackasses who bitch the loudest about calls and no calls don't actually know and/or understand the damn rules to begin with.

Butch
10-20-2010, 02:28 AM
Five frogs are sitting on a log. Four of them decide to jump off. How many frogs are left?

Five.

Why? There's a big difference between deciding and doing.

The Ratbirds didn't get fined because they didn't do anything. Harrison did. And more importantly, he wasn't sorry he did it, and was defiant about it. If he'd have just STFU he wouldn't have been singled out. Of course the fine was excessive. But it wasn't so much for the hit as his attitude and comments after. And you can bet your last dollar that he's under the microscope from here on in. The league will make an example of him. Expect him to get suspended probably twice this year.

He shouldn't be sorry for what he did. Look again at the play on Masaqui (sp) and see how he bobbles the ball and in the process of going down to get the ball Harrison hits him. Had he caught the ball cleanly that hit would have been the perfect hit. Some in the media are spinning this and the puppet is dancing to their beat.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 02:29 AM
I have watched the play on masaque (sp) and as was stated by someone else he bobbles the ball and in the process of going low to retrieve it (crouching) Harrison hits him. You can clearly see that it was just as much the receivers fault or even just bad luck as anything.

That's the thing. MOST of these "flagrant" hits are nothing more than unlucky collisions, and this week was perfect evidence of it. Other than Merriweather's hit, which was a dirty cheap shot (but really, what else do you expect from the Patriots), the rest just looked like they were a guy trying to make a full-speed tackle and unluckily ran into the receiver the wrong way. Both of Harrison's hits were on a guy who was still in play with the football, and the receiver either ducked into or got knocked into the kill zone. The Robinson hit in Philly looked like he reacted and made a pretty dangerous play, but there was no way to stop it. Both that and the Massoquoi hit were good defensive plays, by the way -- the defender doesn't hit the guy, it's a catch.

Seriously, people -- the players are not crazy. They know full well that if they go out trying to spear people in the head, they're just as likely to get seriously hurt themselves. Such a big deal has been made of it, whether it's the last few years in the NFL or going all the way back to the Chucky Mullins incident that left a guy paralyzed, that NOBODY is unaware to the point where they go out recklessly headhunting like that anymore. There's a certain baseline level of violence in football that you can't do anything about unless you break the game, and it pisses me off that this whole movement is being led by people who don't get that -- not just Goodell, but the armies of knee-jerkers and PR-conscious bleeding-heart "casual fans" that seem to be the next big to the NFL just like "casual gamers" are the next big target of Sony and Microsoft, which has caused the video game industry to be dumbed down.

Basically, this whole change is coming about because the lowest common denominator rules, and it completely sucks.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 02:31 AM
Yep, and even more maddening is the fact that the jackasses who bitch the loudest about calls and no calls don't actually know and/or understand the damn rules to begin with.

See my post just above this one about the "casual fan" being the equivalent of the "casual gamer" in video games. That phenomenon has been ruining video games for several years, and the same exact thing is at work here under a different guise.

Butch
10-20-2010, 02:34 AM
That's one of the things that's turning me off the most about the NFL in the past 3-4 years. Even more than all the stupid rules, it's the fact that for a SIGNIFICANT portion of football fans, the #1 pastime has become bitching that there should have been a penalty. And not for offsides or holding, or ... you know ... REAL penalties. Bitching that there should have been arbitrary penalties for a late hit out of bounds, or taunting, or hitting the quarterback too hard, or some phantom pass interference call that the receivers wave their arms for after every time they don't catch the ball -- or now the latest fad, helmet-to-helmet contact. The same people who complain that the rule-crazy NFL is ruining the game (which it is) are the ones who buy into the lemming PR hype and basically encourage the dickhead commissioner to ruin it even more. Pretty sad if you ask me, and if that's the way it keeps going, it's not long before, say, baseball starts regaining some of its appeal simply because there's none of the bullshit.

I used to be a baseball fan until they started crapping on the fans. When they went on strike in '95 I had enough and then the stariods and now they play damn near til christmas. The only thing I would ever watch is if the Cubbies make it to the world series and even then I would wonder if it was just a scam. Sports in general has been ruined Basketball with the ref scandels, and now this with football. When will they stop??? I am right there with yinz on walking away from football and that in itself is a very sad statement on the way they are ruining the game.

steelreserve
10-20-2010, 02:46 AM
I used to be a baseball fan until they started crapping on the fans. When they went on strike in '95 I had enough and then the stariods and now they play damn near til christmas. The only thing I would ever watch is if the Cubbies make it to the world series and even then I would wonder if it was just a scam. Sports in general has been ruined Basketball with the ref scandels, and now this with football. When will they stop??? I am right there with yinz on walking away from football and that in itself is a very sad statement on the way they are ruining the game.

Well .. yeah. I used to LOVE baseball, maybe not for the game so much as the experience, which was just a ton of fun. It's really gone from being a good time to being a surly money-grab where they really make the Average Joe feel unwelcome. When I was a little kid, or when I was in college and liked hanging out and tailgating, it was "Hey, good to have you, sit in the cheap seats and enjoy yourself." Now, it's more like, "Screw you, you're a security risk -- if you're not sitting in the $39 seats, we're going to make it miserable for you." Not to mention that they ruined baseball cards along the way, and the game itself got all screwed up on steroids over money.

So, I guess you're largely right. However, at least in terms of the gme on the field, I think you can still say baseball has retained a hell of a lot more of its original purity and given to a lot less bullshit. This year, watching the baseball playoffs with a team I actually care about in them (for the first time in several years), at the same time the NFL season is going on has been a big reminder of that.

Aussie_steeler
10-20-2010, 03:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsOozGeYnAQ&NR=1

OCTOBER 6 2010

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ij33TYjtd6xw79lvYHWGlgUAmq0wD9IMF62G0?docId= D9IMF62G0

T.J. Ward's "cheap shot" was costly.
For delivering a nasty blow to an opponent's head, the NFL belted the Browns' rookie safety in the wallet.
Ward, who in just four games as a pro has developed a reputation as a ferocious tackler and fearless talker, was fined $15,000 Wednesday for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cincinnati wide receiver Jordan Shipley during the fourth quarter of the Browns' win on Sunday.
Ward confirmed he was fined, but he would not divulge the amount. However, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that the league assessed Ward the $15,000 penalty for ramming Shipley, who was knocked out briefly and sustained a concussion.

"I just tried to make a play and unfortunately he got hurt," Ward said before practice. "It's part of the violent game we play. If you play that position, it kind of comes with the territory."

"I just hate to see a guy get hit like that in the head," Owens said. "For him to take a cheap shot like that, that's uncalled for."
Browns coach Eric Mangini defended Ward, saying it was an aggressive play — nothing more.
Owens countered with a personal shot at Mangini.
"Look who it's coming from," Owens told Bengals teammate Chad Ochocinco in an interview on VERSUS in advance of the premiere of the "The T.Ocho Show." "Probably 90 percent of his players don't like him (Mangini) anyway. "I don't like him. We got to see him again anyway, so we'll see who's going to do some cheap shots next game.

Ward was aware that Mike Pereira, former NFL vice president of officiating, said in an interview with the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the league should fine the 23-year-old a minimum of $25,000 for a hit he described as "one of the worst I've seen in a while."

"It's a violent sport," McCoy said. "We all know that there's gonna be contact. Nobody ever wants to get hurt, and nobody ever wants to hurt anybody. It was a good hit. Jordan knows. He's played receiver his whole life. There's a chance that when you go across the middle, that you're gonna have to take a big shot, a big lick, and he got one."

CAN BROWNS FANS SPELL HYPOCRISY???

Check out any browns boards and they defended this hit. And a $15000 fine.

Geez you yanks certainly have some pretty serious inflation over there.

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Do you understand the concept of forcing turnovers?

You aim for the ball when forcing turnovers. You try to get your hands on the ball...and knock/pull it away. You don't lower your head, hands back and away from the player. Same with the Massaquoi hit. He wasn't trying to do anything but cause pain. Nothing else. His hope was that if he casued enough, a positive (for the Steelers) football play would happen.

The primary object of any given football play isn't to cause as much pain as possible. It's to make a play...and in this violent sport, if you happen to bring the pain while making said pain, then all the better. I defended Hines Ward when he laid that vicious block on Bengals LB last year. I thought it was a great football play. His purpose wasn't to cause pain. His primary purpose was to block the linebacker. The pain that came with it was secondary to making a smart football play.

Harrison has that backwards. He tries to bring pain and hopes a play comes with it. Simple sublte concepts seem to elude you and several other posters on this board all in the name of "It's Football."

LLT
10-20-2010, 05:26 AM
NFL fines Harrison $75,000 for hit
By Scott Brown,
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The NFL showed just how serious it is about cracking down on what it considers head-hunting when it fined three players Tuesday, including Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison, a combined $175,000 for recent helmet-to-helmet hits.

The NFL docked Harrison $75,000 $25,000 more than fines levied to Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson and Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather because he is a repeat offender, executive vice president Ray Anderson said in a release.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705116.html

X-Terminator
10-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Doubt he leaves all that money remaining on his contract on the table, however, from the "comments" section of that article:

Between a douchebag of a commissioner who lets the media dictate his disciplinary policy and the collection of whiners and pussies who call themselves "fans" like the one who made that comment, I couldn't blame him if he did actually walk away.

I make it a point not to read the comments section of any story because they are usually filled with complete idiocy like that. But yeah, it pretty much sums up the way fans think these days. Welcome to America 2010.

LLT
10-20-2010, 05:31 AM
On the Steelers: Harrison fined $75,000
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
By Ed Bouchette,
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker James Harrison puts a hard hit on Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi in the second quarter of Sunday's game at Heinz Field. Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit.James Harrison's pleas that his hit Sunday was legal on a Cleveland receiver got nowhere with the NFL, which levied a whopping $75,000 fine on the Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker Tuesday.

Harrison's fine was the largest of three the league issued to players for what it termed illegal hits during games Sunday. New England's Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta's Dunta Robinson each were fined $50,000 for their hits.

Ray Anderson, the NFL's vice president of football operations, explained that Harrison received a higher fine because he is a repeat offender -- he was fined $5,000 for roughing the passer in the Sept. 19 game in Tennessee.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293/1096547-66.stm#ixzz12tTKddbM

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Fortunately, just about everybody commenting, outside of Massaquoi's agent and a handful of fans who never played the game, acknowledge that it was a legal hit. Even WRs commenting saw only the Heap hit as illegal. Anybody who sees it in slow motion can see that Massaquoi is completely upright when Harrison initiates the tackle, and at the time of contact Massaquoi has lowered himself into a weird sitting position with his thighs almost parallel to the ground and his upper body bent forward. He would have been drilled in the midsection by Harrison's shoulder if he hadn't squatted down.

Even though they added "devastating hits" to the "helmet-to-helmet hits", their news release after the fines stated that fines and suspensions would only be issued for illegal hits. That should mean that he'll win on appeal - as will Robinson. Unlike the Brownies, the Eagles had the balls to acknowledge that the hit was clean.

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Harrison has that backwards. He tries to bring pain and hopes a play comes with it. Simple sublte concepts seem to elude you and several other posters on this board all in the name of "It's Football."

Football is neither simple, or subtle.

You talk about football and tackling like your only exposure to the game is a Football for Dummies book using illustrations like you'd see in a 3rd grade instructional manual. Your head must explode when you see O Lineman that aren't in a 3 point stance or their fists come apart from in front of their sternum when blocking.

SirHulka
10-20-2010, 08:01 AM
He shouldn't be sorry for what he did. Look again at the play on Masaqui (sp) and see how he bobbles the ball and in the process of going down to get the ball Harrison hits him. Had he caught the ball cleanly that hit would have been the perfect hit. Some in the media are spinning this and the puppet is dancing to their beat.

Read all of my post. I'm not attacking or defending Harrison. I'm saying that when everyone is crying about concussions and hits to the head, the stupidest thing you can do is speak up and say you're trying to hurt someone. All Harrison accomplished was getting a heavier fine, and drawing attention to himself. Watch and see. I'd be willing to bet that he gets suspended before the season is out.

Borski
10-20-2010, 08:36 AM
http://ht.ly/19xK4i

According to PG+ Harrison might not show to practice today because he upset about the fine, can't say I blame him

TheRuneMeister
10-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Read all of my post. I'm not attacking or defending Harrison. I'm saying that when everyone is crying about concussions and hits to the head, the stupidest thing you can do is speak up and say you're trying to hurt someone. All Harrison accomplished was getting a heavier fine, and drawing attention to himself. Watch and see. I'd be willing to bet that he gets suspended before the season is out.
You do know what the quote was right? He was being pretty clear about his intentions to 'hurt' players, but not 'injure' them. Don't tell me that every coach, and every defensive coordinator in the league isn't telling his players to hurt the opponent. That is exactly what they teach. All coaches talk about punishing and putting a hurt on the opponent.

That being said, he is not the smartest guy out of the bunch, and he probably should scale the retoric back a bit.

SteelerFanInStl
10-20-2010, 09:49 AM
You aim for the ball when forcing turnovers. You try to get your hands on the ball...and knock/pull it away. You don't lower your head, hands back and away from the player. Same with the Massaquoi hit. He wasn't trying to do anything but cause pain. Nothing else. His hope was that if he casued enough, a positive (for the Steelers) football play would happen.

The primary object of any given football play isn't to cause as much pain as possible. It's to make a play...and in this violent sport, if you happen to bring the pain while making said pain, then all the better. I defended Hines Ward when he laid that vicious block on Bengals LB last year. I thought it was a great football play. His purpose wasn't to cause pain. His primary purpose was to block the linebacker. The pain that came with it was secondary to making a smart football play.

Again you're wrong. Most fumbles are not caused by someone reaching in and pulling the ball away. They're caused by the impact of the hit. That's what NFL players are taught to do.

Here's a quote for you from Tomlin during his weekly press conference:

James had his arms down on the hit of Josh Cribbs. Has form tackling become a lost art?

No, we coach form tackling. Hit-and-wrap tackling is essential. If you look at that play, the first man to make contact with him was a hit-and-wrap tackler, LaMarr Woodley. We teach the second man in to try and dislodge the ball because that’s what we desire. We want possession of the football. They both did exactly what we coach and what we ask them to do. The first man to confront Josh Cribbs was LaMarr Woodley. He came to balance, did a nice form wrap tackle. The second man in attempted to dislodge the ball on contact, and was able to do it. Of course it was recovered by Cleveland.

SteelerFanInStl
10-20-2010, 09:50 AM

You talk about football and tackling like your only exposure to the game is a Football for Dummies book using illustrations like you'd see in a 3rd grade instructional manual. Your head must explode when you see O Lineman that aren't in a 3 point stance or their fists come apart from in front of their sternum when blocking.

Agreed :lol:

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 11:13 AM

While football (especially at the NFL level) is a very complex sport, there are still very simple foundations to build that complexity upon. Each position and action has simple/sound principals...and the complexity is added during the game. Football is as much direct as it is subtle. The higher you go in level (Midget League on up to Pro-Level) the more the subtleties become important. Whether it's adjusting a route based on the coverage you see, or adjusting the velocity of a pass based on defenders positions...or adjusting your angle of pursuit so that you can corral a runner in (or force him to stretch more to the outside) to give your team the edge it needs, it's chock full of subtleties. I'm sorry that you've read nothing more than Football for Dummies (your apparent source of information) and don't understand that.

Again you're wrong. Most fumbles are not caused by someone reaching in and pulling the ball away. They're caused by the impact of the hit. That's what NFL players are taught to do.

Here's a quote for you from Tomlin during his weekly press conference:
I'm sure that's Tomlin covering up for his player who openly admits he was trying to hurt the opponent. Tomlin trying to add a more positive perspective/spin on the plays. There was no attempt to dislodge the ball on Cribbs. It was just an attempt to bring as much pain as possible...and a football play (fumble) happened because of it. Same with Massaquoi. His intent to bring the pain was there. There was no attempt to tackle...no attempt to swat the ball away. The video evidence is there. On both accounts.

LLT
10-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Keep the conversation about the topic....dont make it personal.

GitNoLuv
10-20-2010, 11:17 AM

I understand that it also applies to me (and my follow up retort.)

Craic
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM

I don't often agree with you, but here, I completely do. He needs to learn to not say things which will draw the attention of the league. However, I am not sure that would have changed anything in this situation.

CPanther95
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM

It wasn't meant to be personal, it is an actual book:
http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Football-For-Dummies-USA-Edition-3rd-Edition.productCd-0470125365.html

Didn't mean to call him a "dummy", just addressing his lack of knowledge on the subject.

Apologies.

Butch
10-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Doesn't mean it's what he said it's about who he plays for. Look at the fines that Go To Hell Godell has dished out, without even so much as a clear reason for the fines. When the league expained to Hines why he was fined Hines still didn't have a clear definition of what he had done wrong (speaking of the fine for the hit to the bungles LB).

In the end what he says has very little value to what Go To Hell has already dreamed up in his twisted little mind. The fine was coming and all Steeler fans knew that, I'm willing to bet we weren't alone.

LLT
10-20-2010, 12:47 PM
It wasn't meant to be personal, it is an actual book:
http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Football-For-Dummies-USA-Edition-3rd-Edition.productCd-0470125365.html

Didn't mean to call him a "dummy", just addressing his lack of knowledge on the subject.

Apologies.

No problem...just want to keep the discussion respectable. GitNoLuv might not agree with us on this topic but I know him to be VERY knowledgable on the game.

Appreciate everyones thoughts.

SteelerFanInStl
10-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm sure that's Tomlin covering up for his player who openly admits he was trying to hurt the opponent. Tomlin trying to add a more positive perspective/spin on the plays. There was no attempt to dislodge the ball on Cribbs. It was just an attempt to bring as much pain as possible...and a football play (fumble) happened because of it. Same with Massaquoi. His intent to bring the pain was there. There was no attempt to tackle...no attempt to swat the ball away. The video evidence is there. On both accounts.

The hard hit is the attempt to dislodge the ball. I don't know why that's so difficult for you to understand. The ball was loose in Massaquoi's hands. There's no swat or tackle needed there, only a hard hit to keep him from catching it. That's how the game has been played for decades.

stillers4me
10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I would like EVERY person who likes this page to : Send $1 with a note that says,
"For James Harrison's fine. Steeler Nation"
to Roger Goodell, c/o National Football League, 280 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10017.

4,237 members in one day. :lol:

A grassroots effort of Steelers fans' support for James Harrison, the "Pay James Harrison's Bogus Fine (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pay-James-Harrisons-Bogus-Fine/134796989903782)" group on Facebook. Just in the last few hours its grown by a thousand members as the site has gained attention on the Internet and in Pittsburgh media.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/22482-free-james-harrison?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

memphissteelergirl
10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
I would LOVE to hear Mel Blount's take on this! :heh: