PDA

View Full Version : If your team can't stop the Steelers the league will.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 06:48 PM
There is now talk about suspentions for hard hits and Harrison's name is at the top of the list.

HometownGal
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
There is now talk about suspentions for hard hits and Harrison's name is at the top of the list.

If Good-dildo, the NFL official hitman, has his way - Harrison and any members of the Steelers D who even breathe towards an opponent will be tarred, feathered and fined. Hell -a President can be impeached - why not this assbag?

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Not "hard" hits...dangerous hits. Nice spin though.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Not "hard" hits...dangerous hits. Nice spin though.

Both of those hits yesterday were clean. Your running back fell while James was already in the process of tackling him, and running backs are not protected by the defenseless rule. The reciever put his head down as Harrison was coming in to make a hit. Had he not ducked he would have been hit in his chest. James also led with hid arms on that play and there was no flag. It's football not Golf.

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Both of those hits yesterday were clean. Your running back fell while James was already in the process of tackling him. The reciever put his head down as Harrison was coming in to make a hit. Had he not ducked he would have been hit in his chest. James also led with hid arms on that play and there was no flag. It's football not Golf.

Which has nothing to do with anything I said in that post. I didn't mention those hits nor the guy making it. The NFL is talking about suspensions on dangerous hits...not hard hits. There is a subtle difference in what the NFL announced and what you posted.

*********EDIT*****ADDITION*********
I don't mean for any of this to sound trollish. I just re-read what I posted and I can see where it might come across that way. If I have offended, I apologize.

CPanther95
10-18-2010, 07:01 PM
I think when Art Modell left Cleveland, he took its balls with him.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 07:01 PM
:drink:I can live with that.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Which has nothing to do with anything I said in that post. I didn't mention those hits nor the guy making it. The NFL is talking about suspensions on dangerous hits...not hard hits. There is a subtle difference in what the NFL announced and what you posted.

I don't mean for any of this to sound trollish. I just re-read what I posted and I can see where it might come across that way. If I have offended, I apologize.

Non taken. I enjoy reading your posts. Your definately not a homer.

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I think when Art Modell left Cleveland, he took its balls with him.

WTH are you talking about? What does the Thief have to do with this topic?

JayC
10-18-2010, 07:04 PM
sounds stupid to me. making defensive players think twice/hestitate before they tackle someone would be an advantage for the offense but i bet goodell is all for that of course. im not. the league should be take the blame themselves because they have obviously not made advances in helmet technology since concussions are weekly occurrence in the league. make better helmets.

edit: if the player is defenseless im all for suspenions but this past week harrison did nothing wrong.

stillers4me
10-18-2010, 07:05 PM
so how are the Pats* going to finagle an extra draft pic out this? :noidea:

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 07:08 PM
sounds stupid to me. making defensive players think twice/hestitate before they tackle someone would be an advantage for the offense but i bet goodell is all for that of course. im not. the league should be take the blame themselves because they have obviously not made advances in helmet technology since concussions are weekly occurrence in the league. make better helmets.

There are much better helmets available, but most players refuse to wear them. The heavy speculation is that they look too dorky for players to wear. (That's not the words used, but you get the idea.) Players can also use double sided mouth guards that help out in the prevention of concussions.

It's a combination of a lot of things that have made this game more dangerous today than in the past.

Lack of tackling fundamentals (players going out trying to hit as hard as they can)
Improved athletics (bigger, stronger, faster)
Better/more focused training (to allow players to be bigger, stronger, faster)
Player specialties (some guys are run stuffers, others are pass rushers)

If the NFL forced all players to wear the safer helmets and safer mouthguards, there would be less concussions (in the short term). If coaches concentrated on tackling fundamentals (at all levels) there would be less concussions.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 07:13 PM
My queston is why are we so worried about players and concussions? They get paid millions of dollars and know the risks. If they don't want to take the risk then play a different sport. But I do agree about mouth pieces and the dorky new helmets. Double sided mouth pieces prevent your jaws from smashing together and "helps" prevent concussions. They buckle up their chin straps and know the risks.LET THEM PLAY!

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 07:16 PM
My queston is why are we so worried about players and concussions? They get paid millions of dollars and know the risks. If they don't want to take the risk then play a different sport. But I do agree about mouth pieces and the dorky new helmets. Double sided mouth pieces prevent your jaws from smashing together and "helps" prevent concussions. They buckle up their chin straps and know the risks.LET THEM PLAY!

It's society in general. It doesn't matter how much they are paid...an injured player is an injured player. Many of these players are idolized...and to see them get hurt leaves a bad image. The NFL is a business first and foremost. It's unfortunate...but it's true.

HollywoodSteel
10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
so how are the Pats* going to finagle an extra draft pic out this? :noidea:

That will be tough to pull off this time since their guy, Brandon Meriweather, laid the most blatantly intentional helmet to helmet hit this week.

HometownGal
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Nothing really, but even we Steelers fans were pissed off when Farty Arty shit all over the Browns fans and high tailed it to Baltimore with their beloved team. That was dirty shit.

Butch
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
If Good-dildo, the NFL official hitman, has his way - Harrison and any members of the Steelers D who even breathe towards an opponent will be tarred, feathered and fined. Hell -a President can be impeached - why not this assbag?

Here is my nomination for his replacement!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

X-Terminator
10-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Flag football, here we come! :coffee:

Looks like the NFL will be going the way of the NHL. The pussies have taken over.

And if you don't think the Steelers and probably the Ravens won't be front and center with these "rules," put down the bong and get off Fantasy Island. They will be harder-hit than any other team in the league. Take it to the bank.

salamander
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Flag football, here we come! :coffee:

Looks like the NFL will be going the way of the NHL. The pussies have taken over.

And if you don't think the Steelers and probably the Ravens won't be front and center with these "rules," put down the bong and get off Fantasy Island. They will be harder-hit than any other team in the league. Take it to the bank.

At least they're still allowed to fight in hockey.

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
All I can say is if you can't beat them suspend them!:yield::puke:

Chidi29
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Let's just calm down first. Nothing is set in stone. And there are plenty of other players in danger of suspension for their hits yesterday.

Devilsdancefloor
10-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Her eis the problem the safer as humans we take more risks since it is "safer". Also if they truly wanted to stop these hits then they wouldnt sell dvd's on hard hits. plus i dont by into the fact that the hits are harder in todays NFL.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Now that they've seen that the Steelers are for real this year and a strong contender, they've got to do something to try to save Goodell the embarrasement of having to hand the Super Bowl trophy to Big Ben.

oneforthetoe
10-18-2010, 11:44 PM
If I read the statement correctly, I think the suspensions are not on the table for last weeks action.

I don't have a big problem with the first part of the new rule. I read it as, if you make an illegal hit with your helmet you could face suspension. The NFL already said that Harrison's hit on Cribbs was legal.

The issue I have is with the word "devastating hit." What the *ell does that mean? There was a very good exchange between Matt Millen and Steve Young tonight after the game. Young seems to feel that you can be suspended for a legal hit if it is devastating. Millen (proving why, while he as a horrendous GM, he is a great analyst) fired back at Young, and even took a shot a Goodell over the interpretation. Even Trent Dillfer sided with Millen taking a shot at Young, when he told him in his day (Young's) "he didn't have to read as complicated a defensive schemes as the zone blitz and amoeba defenses."

I'm waiting to see what happens in practice. Steve Young has taken too many hits to his own head, imo. The Union is never going to agree that a player can be suspended for a hit that is not illegal by the rule book. And, if they took it to court, I think they would win. The NFL has already been beat up this year over suspension for the Williams' Wall in Minnesota. So, I don't want to over react quite yet till I see what numb nuts is really intending.

Suffice to say that Goodell is an idiot who know very little about football. He seems to be debating suspending players for hits that might not even be illegal, but I have heard nothing about requiring all players to wear the new helmets, that have been shown to reduce the likelihood and severity of concussions to at least a measurable extent. Not to forget that he is so concerned about the players that he continues to push for an 18 game schedule.

smokin3000gt
10-19-2010, 12:43 AM
It could be possible they are trying to soften the game to make an 18 game season a reality..

SirHulka
10-19-2010, 01:50 AM
First off, I'm not calling Harrison a dirty player. The regulars in here know I don't trash the players. But having said that, this is what I see as the problem. Harrison is not trying to tackle people. In 5 games, he's knocked out three players. All three were the same. He led with his head, and hit helmet to helmet. I have no problem with hard hits. That's a part of the game. But leading with your head is dangerous, both for the hitter and the hittee. He didn't even try to tackle Massaquoi. The league passed a rule 3 years ago that hits like that were to be followed immediately by ejections. To date, not one player has been ejected. If the league were following it's own rules about protecting players, Massaquoi would not have been knocked out, because Harrison wouldn't have been in the game. So after five players were injured this week on head-to-head collisions, the league is finally pretending to do something about it. Harrison will probably be suspended, and judging by his remarks after the game, a suspension is probably the only way to stop him from leading with his head.

wvsportsman
10-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Here is my nomination for his replacement!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

I second your nomination!

silver & black
10-19-2010, 07:07 AM
If your team can't stop the Steelers the league will.

...Then your team needs to get better.

SirHulka
10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Gunny Ermey stayed at my hotel last year for 5 days when he was filming a segment of one of his shows. He's really a pretty cool guy.

CPanther95
10-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Harrison's style of play is raising questions about whether it's possible to stay within the rules, yet also play dirty. While the Browns weren't especially critical of the hits following the game, tight end Benjamin Watson (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/benjamin-watson/200357) was more outspoken Monday.
''I hope the NFL does the max, whatever the max is, I hope they give it to him,'' Watson said.

SteelMember
10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Harrison is not trying to tackle people. In 5 games, he's knocked out three players. All three were the same. He led with his head, and hit helmet to helmet. I have no problem with hard hits. That's a part of the game. But leading with your head is dangerous, both for the hitter and the hittee.

I can understand the sentiment here, but it's physically impossible. Even a textbook tackle leads with the head. If you plant a shoulder into someones midsection, your head is automatically going to be "leading".

The problem is that both players are moving. Guys are ducking and diving to avoid contact. That effectually changes a proposed point of contact. There's plenty of examples of a tackle starting at the chest at becoming helmet to helmet because of this. So unless their going say guys have to stop and let themselves be "properly" tackled, it's just going to make defenders second guess their training to make a play. Therefore, giving the offense yet another advantage in the pass game. I mean, really, DB's are already not allowed to touch a WR after 5 yards. So now they want to eliminate the big collisions. Collisions are inherent to the game. The players know this.

LLT
10-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Here is the point that I think most of us are missing.

Goodell wants to give lip service as to how he is SOOOOOO concerned with the abuse that the the players inflict upon their bodies.

BUT!!!!!

He sees dollar signs when he thinks about going to an 18 game season...which would add to the abuse that a player inflicts upon his body.

I call :bs: .....Goodell is an empty suit ...a politician...who spews empty rhetoric and makes arbitrary decisions. His greatest talent is that of hiding behing an image of "caring" while putting the game and its fans behind the almighty dollar.

st33lersguy
10-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Suspend a football player for laying down a hard hit on someone. Roger Baddell has officially gone over the top. First suspend a player for being accused of something then suspend a player for laying a perfectly good and legal hit. This mouse needs to get fired

SirHulka
10-19-2010, 08:17 AM
I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again. Between them, Goodell and Smith are going to kill professional football.

stlrtruck
10-19-2010, 08:37 AM

The NFL also mentioned 'devastating hits' which both of Harrison's hits were. So anytime a key player in a game gets a 'devastating hit' on them, the other team will get flagged and a player suspended?

Indo
10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again. Between them, Goodell and Smith are going to kill professional football.

Are GOING TO KILL?

They already have.
It's not the game we grew up with.

Ronnie Lott, Dick Butkus, Youngblood, Tatum...the list goes on and on.
Can you imagine what would've happened if Rozell, et al., would have been like Goodell?
there would NOT be Professional football had they acted like Goodell---the fans would have lost interest and it would have faded away...
Makes me fuckin' crazy...

steeldevil
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Just skip the transition and put flags on them already...

SteelCityMan786
10-19-2010, 12:04 PM
To the rest of the league(Note this doesn't include the rats), If you want to beat the Steelers, instead of whining to Daddy, try to get better. Although yes concussions are a pain, you could adjust your training programs in some cases to prevent them. Just saying. It's a concept even high schools get.

silver & black
10-19-2010, 12:40 PM
To the rest of the league(Note this doesn't include the rats), If you want to beat the Steelers, instead of whining to Daddy, try to get better. Although yes concussions are a pain, you could adjust your training programs in some cases to prevent them. Just saying. It's a concept even high schools get.

I believe I said the same thing. If you want to beat the Steelers... get better. It isn't rocket surgery.

EVERY team in the NFL is capable of doing what the Steelers do... and I really don't understand why they don't... they just don't.

My team is a prime example of this. Al knew how to win back in the day. The problem is, he thinks he can still win that way. He refuses to adjust to how the game is played today. The Raiders will NEVER win more than 5 games a season untill Al and his ancient ways are done in Oakland. We fans just have to wait it out.

The Rooneys have had the blueprint down since the early 70's: Get a quality coach. Let him do his job without interference. KEEP the coach, even if he has a bad year or two. Draft smart. Don't overpay for players. Understand that depth at a position is importent. Know when to let a former "good" player go and bring the next guy along... it's a process. Understand how the game is played today and adapt. No team does this better than the Steelers. The Patr*ots might do it as well, but not for nearly as long as the Steelers have done it.

Trust me... I hate seeing the Steelers win, but I will never cry about it. If the rest of the NFL is tired of it... do something about it. It's in their power to do so. The Steelers have proven it can be done on a sustainable basis. If you're one of the other 31 teams in the NFL... roll your sleeves up and get to work instead of whining about the Steelers.

O'Malley
10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
First off, I'm not calling Harrison a dirty player. The regulars in here know I don't trash the players. But having said that, this is what I see as the problem. Harrison is not trying to tackle people. In 5 games, he's knocked out three players. All three were the same. He led with his head, and hit helmet to helmet. I have no problem with hard hits. That's a part of the game. But leading with your head is dangerous, both for the hitter and the hittee. He didn't even try to tackle Massaquoi. The league passed a rule 3 years ago that hits like that were to be followed immediately by ejections. To date, not one player has been ejected. If the league were following it's own rules about protecting players, Massaquoi would not have been knocked out, because Harrison wouldn't have been in the game. So after five players were injured this week on head-to-head collisions, the league is finally pretending to do something about it. Harrison will probably be suspended, and judging by his remarks after the game, a suspension is probably the only way to stop him from leading with his head.

If Massaquoi did not run his route in the direction of Harrison he would not have been knocked out. He hit Massaquoi with his arms not his head.

O'Malley
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I believe I said the same thing. If you want to beat the Steelers... get better. It isn't rocket surgery.

EVERY team in the NFL is capable of doing what the Steelers do... and I really don't understand why they don't... they just don't.

My team is a prime example of this. Al knew how to win back in the day. The problem is, he thinks he can still win that way. He refuses to adjust to how the game is played today. The Raiders will NEVER win more than 5 games a season untill Al and his ancient ways are done in Oakland. We fans just have to wait it out.

The Rooneys have had the blueprint down since the early 70's: Get a quality coach. Let him do his job without interference. KEEP the coach, even if he has a bad year or two. Draft smart. Don't overpay for players. Understand that depth at a position is importent. Know when to let a former "good" player go and bring the next guy along... it's a process. Understand how the game is played today and adapt. No team does this better than the Steelers. The Patr*ots might do it as well, but not for nearly as long as the Steelers have done it.

Trust me... I hate seeing the Steelers win, but I will never cry about it. If the rest of the NFL is tired of it... do something about it. It's in their power to do so. The Steelers have proven it can be done on a sustainable basis. If you're one of the other 31 teams in the NFL... roll your sleeves up and get to work instead of whining about the Steelers.

Nice post! Much respect for that! Nail on the head!

Indo
10-19-2010, 01:19 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/3539-If-your-team-can-t-stop-the-Steelers-the-league-will./images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by silver & black http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/3539-If-your-team-can-t-stop-the-Steelers-the-league-will./images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/3539-If-your-team-can-t-stop-the-Steelers-the-league-will./showthread.php?p=74691#post74691)

Nice post! Much respect for that! Nail on the head!

I have to agree
And I honestly wish the Raiders could get back on track---I miss those Black/Gold vs. Black/Silver games