PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Harrison puts hurt on Cleveland

stillers4me
10-18-2010, 05:06 AM
By: Mike Bires (mbires@timesonline.com)
Beaver County Times
Sunday October 17, 2010 11:33 PM

Years before he developed into one of the NFL’s most ferocious and feared defenders, James Harrison claimed he was the meanest of all Steelers.

He said that during the 2004 season when he backed up Joey Porter, himself a meanie who prided himself on talking tough and playing tougher.

Since taking over for Porter at right outside linebacker three years ago, Harrison has lived up to his bravado. He’s been the NFL’s best defensive player since the start of the ’07 season, and he’s certainly been the meanest......................

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/october/17/bires-harrison-puts-hurt-on-cleveland.html

Aussie_steeler
10-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Two stunning hits. Both vicious and superbly timed / delivered.

Hits that are to be appreciated by the purist.

Unfortunately there are not too many purists left. Only a world full of pussy's that will demand harrison be fined or suspended.

When you have racked up $200k in fines like Harrison I am sure that he will gladly part with the $$$. It only adds to the reputation.

I cant wait to see which stain will try to exact some revenge next meeting. That could be quite comical.

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 05:27 AM
I cant wait to see which stain will try to exact some revenge next meeting. That could be quite comical.

If it's TJ Ward...it might not be so comical. While TJ won't be able to get after Harrison, you'll be singing the Blues if he does that to Hines Ward or Mike Wallace.

Aussie_steeler
10-18-2010, 05:33 AM
If it's TJ Ward...it might not be so comical. While TJ won't be able to get after Harrison, you'll be singing the Blues if he does that to Hines Ward or Mike Wallace.

Thats football. If Hines or Mike cop a lick so be it. We'll just have to sing the blues.

Texasteel
10-18-2010, 05:36 AM

TJ might want to worry about what Ward may do to him.

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 05:50 AM
I don't believe Hines was able to deliver a vicious hit on TJ...I'm guessing TJ (and all other Browns players) know enough to keep their heads on a swivel!

Aussie_steeler
10-18-2010, 05:57 AM
I don't believe Hines was able to deliver a vicious hit on TJ...I'm guessing TJ (and all other Browns players) know enough to keep their heads on a swivel!

I thought that was the first thing players were taught in the AFC North. All four teams will take their shot if the chance arises.

Texasteel
10-18-2010, 06:11 AM
They had better be. The play doesn't end for Hines just because he doesn't have the ball.

HometownGal
10-18-2010, 06:12 AM
They weren't dancing in a ballet yesterday - they were playing football as it was meant to be played. Ferocious, hard-hitting football is what the Steelers D is all about and there isn't a one of them, including Papa Lebeau, that would have it any other way. Anyone who B & M's about Harrison's TKO's yesterday would sell their souls to have him on their side.

Butch
10-18-2010, 06:31 AM
I have seen Hines take those hits and say what you will if there is a player who can take as well as he dishes it is Hines. He may get up slowly but I guarentee he won't complain, no not Hines, He'll get up with a cheshire grin of his and get ready for the next play.

As for James he's brings it every week that's why he's the only UFA to win Defensive player of the year. The announcers for the game were all over those hits, so I won't be surprised if he gets a visit from Go To Hell Godell, I think protocol calls for it whan the press states it, and the press is all over it.

Kaeg
10-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Whether they are deemed legal or not, I expect at least one fine. Der Fuhrer's axe will come down.

GodfatherofSoul
10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
The fines are getting to the point that they're taking away from a defender's ability to tackle or try to jar the ball loose. You've practically got to wait to see if he catches it to hit him. It doesn't help either when some pencil-pushing announcer starts up a rant about "he'll see a fine next week." For what, hitting to hard?

fansince'76
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM
And, as expected, the blubbering manginas begin to come out of the woodwork.

James Harrison’s Cowardly Helmet Shots Do Not Represent Real Footballhttp://thebiglead.com/index.php/2010/10/18/james-harrisons-cowardly-helmet-shots-do-not-represent-real-football/

You want to completely eliminate the risk of serious injury from the NFL once and for all? Fine. Turn it into a damn flag football league (not like Der Kommissar and Kompany aren't slowly doing that already) and be done with it. I'm sick of the damn crying every time a big hit is made and the receiver of the hit doesn't just pop right back up. :coffee:

O'Malley
10-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Sorry but I will have to disagree this time. Both Hines and Mike would clean his clock.

ALLD
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
What everybody seems to not see is that Cribbs was running with the ball, not a defenseless receiver.

steelpride12
10-18-2010, 01:10 PM
This is getting just plain out of control! Im sick of this pussy football rules! What happened to the play back in the 70's and 80's when those type of hits were welcomed and loved by everyone, now everytime a player is hit hard, it's causes much commotion and always a fine. I can't believe what has happened to this league, seriously sad players, mostly defense have to watch how they play!

fansince'76
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I can't believe what has happened to this league....

It's purely symptomatic of the wider pussification of America in general. 30 years ago, a passing mention is made of the hits (at most), and everyone moves on. Now, there are multiple (sustained and bleating) cries throughout the media imploring the NFL to take steps to further legislate contact, a fundamental component of the game (or so I thought), out of the game.

TXSteelerFan
10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
When I was in school I was taught how to properly tackle, which is head across in front of the stomach, arms wrapped around them and drive them back or into the ground. Or if you really want to jar the ball loose you launch yourself with your shoulder at their mid section Now... If you look at both hits Harrison he was doing exactly what all young kids that play/ed football are taught to do. You can't help if a reciever is to scared to take the big hit in the gut and try to lessen the blow and takes it in the head. Looks to me like its more of a offensive players inability to know how to take a hit. Don't play the game if you can't take the punishment.

In the near future I see us playing two below between the hash marks...

stlrtruck
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
So let me get this straight it's okay for the RB or WR to come at the defensive player full steam, lower his shoulder and by proxy his helmet and act like a battering ram to a less prepared defensive player but not okay for the defensive player to do the same?

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
This is getting just plain out of control! Im sick of this pussy football rules! What happened to the play back in the 70's and 80's when those type of hits were welcomed and loved by everyone, now everytime a player is hit hard, it's causes much commotion and always a fine. I can't believe what has happened to this league, seriously sad players, mostly defense have to watch how they play!

Players are biggers, stronger, faster and better trained (physically) now than they were back then. So the hits come much quicker and harder than they did back then.

Still, LLT is right. It's a societal issue. Our society, today, is far weaker than the one that most of us grew up in 20+ years ago.

The Duke
10-18-2010, 02:01 PM
James Harrison’s Cowardly Helmet Shots Do Not Represent Real Football

yeah, like that "writer" knows anything about real football

NEXT!

GodfatherofSoul
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
When I was in school I was taught how to properly tackle, which is head across in front of the stomach, arms wrapped around them and drive them back or into the ground. Or if you really want to jar the ball loose you launch yourself with your shoulder at their mid section Now... If you look at both hits Harrison he was doing exactly what all young kids that play/ed football are taught to do. You can't help if a reciever is to scared to take the big hit in the gut and try to lessen the blow and takes it in the head. Looks to me like its more of a offensive players inability to know how to take a hit. Don't play the game if you can't take the punishment.

In the near future I see us playing two below between the hash marks...

Same way I learned as well. I'd love to see Goodell start teaching lessons on how to tackle without your head making any sort of contact with the ball carrier. Neither of Harrison's hits were dirty. Even on the "defenseless" receiver, he was already moving towards the receiver. Is he supposed to violate the laws of physics and stop instantaneously as soon as the ball pops out? That "defenseless" receiver call was intended for balls that were well past the receiver, who had ceded an attempt at catching the ball, NOT the instant the ball is out of his grasp.

VTsteel
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM

For what it's worth . . . TJ did take a shot at Mendenhall (helmet to helmet) presumably his best shot and Mendenhall simply laughed him off. Hate to burst your bubble but force = mass x velocity. TJ either lacks the mass or velocity to knock people of substance out. sorry

tube517
10-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, the Raisins can lay some licks too and we play them twice a year (sometimes 3)...you don't hear crying from the Steelers side.

Craic
10-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Look.

If the NFL REALLY cared about stopping these hits, instead of making a little money off them to give to charity, which gives them a good name, and then using those very hits to highlight the game, which gives them a lot more money, all they have to do is institute one change of definition: Remove all the "helmet to helmet" rules. Remove the "defenseless receiver" rules. Remove them all and simply change the definition of a "tackle" to that of Rugby.

In Rugby, a player tackling another player MUST make an attempt to wrap the player. Its a rule in rugby, which is by far more brutal and demanding than football (rugby union that is, rugby league is for pretty boy backers wanting to look cute in shorts and not have to deal with real men play a real game-in other words, Tom Brady like). That simple rule TREMENDOUSLY cuts down on injuries, make the game MUCH easier to officiate, and yet, doesn't "wussify" the game.

Here is the definition:
A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground. A ball carrier who is not held is not a tackled player and a tackle has not taken
place. Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and who also go to ground, are known as tacklers. Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not
tacklers.

See? Simple. If you hit a guy and he is knocked down, it isn't a tackle unless you go to the ground with him. All the refs have to do, is judges, "Did the tackler take the ball carrier to the ground?"

(Yeah, I know, this is about the 300th time I have posted this).

Craic
10-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Actually, no. We would be applauding the hit. Do you remember this hit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCgtaoGeGY

And here is the response to it on our old site http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29279&page=2

(I hope its ok to link to it mods... if not, sorry, I'll understand if you take it down.)

solardave
10-18-2010, 03:48 PM

That's the whole point. A defender has to look out for a wide receiver. What other team can you say that about.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's some more crying from the Brownie fans:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/10/pittsburgh_steelers_lb_james_h.html

The comments are comical. :lol:

GodfatherofSoul
10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
For what it's worth . . . TJ did take a shot at Mendenhall (helmet to helmet) presumably his best shot and Mendenhall simply laughed him off. Hate to burst your bubble but force = mass x velocity. TJ either lacks the mass or velocity to knock people of substance out. sorry

force=mass x acceleration

Count Steeler
10-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Eyes forward to the Dolphins. We'll see the Brownies later in the season, hopefully with about the same result.

fansince'76
10-18-2010, 04:39 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/10/pittsburgh_steelers_lb_james_h.html

How do you suppose the referees would have responded if TJ Ward laid a helmet-to-helmet blow on Rothlisberger? Yes, it's football, but if you make a rule and selectively enforce it, that's a problem.I dunno, probably ignore it like Rogers' late hit on him a while back? Or ignore it like the helmet-to-helmet hit he sustained and wound up with a concussion as a result of in Atlanta a few years ago? Funny how NOBODY outside of Pittsburgh complained about that one, and Der Kommissar's office sure as shit didn't review it. Ben isn't "untouchable" like Manning or Brady. Ben routinely gets the shit kicked out of himself with nary a flag.

VTsteel
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
force=mass x acceleration

No, not to argue, but force = mass x velocity. I do know that is what they are teaching in schools . . . but acceleration is a measurement of gain not the end product (Velocity is that end product). The quickness of the accumulation of speed is irrelevant to the end result - the mass and (ultimately) the speed are what actually equal the force of something.

I was wondering if anyone was going to call me on that - good for you!

stillers4me
10-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Does anybody seriously believe these guys purposely launch themselves headfirst into someone elses head and take the chance of concussing themselves?? Seriously????

X-Terminator
10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Here's the deal - if a Browns player makes those hits on any Steeler, they would be applauding it and would be defending them. Funny how the sentiment is different if its your guy doing it. Meanwhile, Steelers fans would be saying "great hit." We don't play flag football here - if your team is playing the Steelers, you had better bring an extra truckload of ice with you. That's just the way it is. It's why even though we all hate the Ravens, we respect them, because they play the game the same way we do. You don't hear any whining from us whenever one of their players lay a good hit on a Steeler. That's football. I'm disgusted at what so many fans of other teams, and America in general, has turned into. A bunch of whiny simps. Don't worry - Der Kommissar loves you all! :puke:

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I dunno, probably ignore it like Rogers' late hit on him a while back? Or ignore it like the helmet-to-helmet hit he sustained and wound up with a concussion as a result of in Atlanta a few years ago? Funny how NOBODY outside of Pittsburgh complained about that one, and Der Kommissar's office sure as shit didn't review it. Ben isn't "untouchable" like Manning or Brady. Ben routinely gets the shit kicked out of himself with nary a flag.

Yep. It's obvious reading the Brownie fans comments that most don't even know what the rule is on helmet to helmet contact.

stillers4me
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm so sick of everybody we beat making excuses and pissing and moaning about it.

psusteelerspens4life
10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
As a defensive player you live to make a big hit, thats your job and it sets a tone for your defense. If you don't live to play defense with a "i'm gonna smash you face in" attitude then go play a different sport. Seem to many defensive players anymore are more concerned with what kind of dance they are gonna do after a tackle than to play like you made a tackle before.

beSteelmyheart
10-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Does anybody seriously believe these guys purposely launch themselves headfirst into someone elses head and take the chance of concussing themselves?? Seriously????
I mentioned that at the bar yesterday while we were watching the game, but nobody wanted to listen.

tube517
10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Ben also took a shot in his knees one time against San Diego in 2005 and was out the next game. It wasn't blatant but you didn't see him prancing around like Brady, the crybaby, does when someone appears to go low on him.

I dunno, probably ignore it like Rogers' late hit on him a while back? Or ignore it like the helmet-to-helmet hit he sustained and wound up with a concussion as a result of in Atlanta a few years ago? Funny how NOBODY outside of Pittsburgh complained about that one, and Der Kommissar's office sure as shit didn't review it. Ben isn't "untouchable" like Manning or Brady. Ben routinely gets the shit kicked out of himself with nary a flag.

stillers4me
10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
And Harrison got nailed twice with the helmets and he's fine. Or just plain crazy. :lol:

HollywoodSteel
10-18-2010, 06:17 PM
The scary thing is they are starting to talk about possibly suspending Harrison for the hits.

RushHard34
10-18-2010, 07:11 PM

This ones hilarious:

hGHarrison will be fined.

Leading with his helmet causing a helmet to helmet blow on Cribbs.

As well as an intentional blow to the head on MoMass.

Funny thing is, despite the way the game went for Cleveland, I see the Steelers falling from the ranks of the better teams in the NFL. Missing the playoffs last year was not a flluke.

Their "fabulous" RB averaged 3.1 yds today. They basically won the game vs a 3rd string Rookie QB that threw 2 INTs, and the backup KR dropped a fair catch ball allowing a TD.
AFTER an LB knocked out their best player on the team, and their best WR with 2 CHEAP SHOTS.

Where was SideShow Troy today???

The Browns are bad.

Pittsburgh not much better.

How do you basically win the game losing by 18? :huh:

X-Terminator
10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
This ones hilarious:

hGHarrison will be fined.

Leading with his helmet causing a helmet to helmet blow on Cribbs.

As well as an intentional blow to the head on MoMass.

Funny thing is, despite the way the game went for Cleveland, I see the Steelers falling from the ranks of the better teams in the NFL. Missing the playoffs last year was not a flluke.

Their "fabulous" RB averaged 3.1 yds today. They basically won the game vs a 3rd string Rookie QB that threw 2 INTs, and the backup KR dropped a fair catch ball allowing a TD.
AFTER an LB knocked out their best player on the team, and their best WR with 2 CHEAP SHOTS.

Where was SideShow Troy today???

The Browns are bad.

Pittsburgh not much better.

How do you basically win the game losing by 18? :huh:

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

I'm with Sue - I'm SO sick and damn tired of every time the Steelers win, someone whines, bitches and moans about it. Why can't they just admit they got beat by a superior team? There's no shame in that. The same shit happens every time the Pens win a game.

Texasteel
10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm so sick of everybody we beat making excuses and pissing and moaning about it.

Guess I'm just getting use to it. I'm looking forward to hearing. " The Steelers would have never won the SB this year if,,, "

fansince'76
10-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Their "fabulous" RB averaged 3.1 yds today. They basically won the game vs a 3rd string Rookie QB that threw 2 INTs, and the backup KR....And we were 40 seconds away from being 4-0 despite playing 3rd and 4th string QBs. Is that supposed to be some sort of "moral victory?" :coffee:

HometownGal
10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Guess I'm just getting use to it. I'm looking forward to hearing. " The Steelers would have never won the SB this year if,,, "

Well - look at it this way. If they weren't pissing and moaning, they'd be kicking their dogs or flushing their goldfish down the toilet, so its all good. :heh: :drink:

polamalubeast
10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Cleveland fans:I have 2 words to tell you .... Lebron James

http://buzzytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Lebron-James-Miami-Heat-Jersey-510x286.jpg

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
10-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Cleveland fans:I have 2 words to tell you .... Lebron James

http://buzzytimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Lebron-James-Miami-Heat-Jersey-510x286.jpg

lebron is an asshat, as are you for even posting that picture.

look, dude led with his head.

I have no problem with being physical in games, but theres a wrong and right way to do it.

you don't want to permanently injure a guy in a game and leave him with memory loss and other major health problems because of headhunting. and for those saying "Well no ones been killed over such a thing"..thats a stupid take, people may have not been killed, but a lot of these players now a days are left with a lot of medical problems later on because of the concussions that they have endured in their NFL degree. I really recommend you guys try listening to Bernie Kosar's story on it.

This ain't about whether the thing was to physical, but playing the game the right way.

Harrison plays the game like a punk, both off and on the field. PERIOD. Sorry, he does. I much more respect someone like Polamalu or Woodley, who are hard hitters, but play the game the right way.

If say, this was polamalu knocking out MoMass, with a legit hit. I wouldn't be raising a fuss with it, along with fellow browns fan, but fact of the matter is, it was dirty.

The other reason, is that a lot of us believe in a double standard on the matter. Against the Bengals, the Ward hit was immediatly flagged and Ward fined. Mind you, the hit wasn't anywhere near as dirty.

X-Terminator
10-18-2010, 09:26 PM
lebron is an asshat, as are you for even posting that picture.

look, dude led with his head.

I have no problem with being physical in games, but theres a wrong and right way to do it.

you don't want to permanently injure a guy in a game and leave him with memory loss and other major health problems because of headhunting. and for those saying "Well no ones been killed over such a thing"..thats a stupid take, people may have not been killed, but a lot of these players now a days are left with a lot of medical problems later on because of the concussions that they have endured in their NFL degree. I really recommend you guys try listening to Bernie Kosar's story on it.

This ain't about whether the thing was to physical, but playing the game the right way.

Harrison plays the game like a punk, both off and on the field. PERIOD. Sorry, he does. I much more respect someone like Polamalu or Woodley, who are hard hitters, but play the game the right way.

If say, this was polamalu knocking out MoMass, with a legit hit. I wouldn't be raising a fuss with it, along with fellow browns fan, but fact of the matter is, it was dirty.

The other reason, is that a lot of us believe in a double standard on the matter. Against the Bengals, the Ward hit was immediatly flagged and Ward fined. Mind you, the hit wasn't anywhere near as dirty.

So in other words, you support the league legislating hitting out of the game. Good job.

Thought you were better than that, but I guess not.

Ben has been hit with helmet-to-helmet hits NUMEROUS times, including once by one of YOUR team's players, and didn't garner so much as a nod and wink from the league or media about it. Did Steelers fans whine? NO. Why? Because it's FOOTBALL, and shit happens sometimes. Not only that, one of YOUR TEAM'S players said the Cribbs hit was legal. That would be Peyton Hillis. The Massaquoi hit was borderline at best, and if he didn't duck his head, Harrison hits him in the chest. Sometimes the player who got hit has to take responsibility for getting his brains scrambled.

And let's be honest...if that "punk" was playing for your team, you and the rest of the Browns fans would be kissing his ass. Don't tell me you wouldn't, because you'd be a liar.

You guys need to wise up, before we lose what's left of the physicality we have in the sport.

RushHard34
10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
So in other words, you support the league legislating hitting out of the game. Good job.

Ben has been hit with helmet-to-helmet hits NUMEROUS times, including once by one of YOUR team's players, and didn't garner so much as a nod and wink from the league or media about it. Did Steelers fans whine? NO. Why? Because it's FOOTBALL, and shit happens sometimes. Not only that, one of YOUR TEAM'S players said the Cribbs hit was legal. That would be Peyton Hillis. The Massaquoi hit was borderline at best, and if he didn't duck his head, Harrison hits him in the chest. Sometimes the player who got hit has to take responsibility for getting his brains scrambled.

And let's be honest...if that "punk" was playing for your team, you and the rest of the Browns fans would be kissing his ass. Don't tell me you wouldn't, because you'd be a liar.

You guys need to wise up, before we lose what's left of the physicality we have in the sport.

Exactly my thoughts. I guess Harrison is just one of those players you want on your side, and who wouldn't, the man is terrifying.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
10-18-2010, 10:05 PM
In regards to harrison.

I'd be sketchy about him regardless. I do know, that breaking a women's cell phone will she is trying to call for help, while he's beating her is pretty low. and something I wouldn't ever, ever, respect someone for doing. Amazing football player or not. Doesn't matter if he plays for my team.

For example, I enjoy watching Cribbs as a player.

But I don't know how the guy is off the field, for all I know he could be doing all sorts of scummy activities. If I had heard that he had done such a thing like harrison had done, I'd be a bit more conflicted as to whether I could root or support someone like that.

I don't try to elevate players to unfair levels of hero-dom. I also think it's stupid to try to defend a guy for acting like a moron, by saying "Well if he was on your team, you'd love him too and be defending him".

RushHard34
10-18-2010, 10:14 PM
In regards to harrison.

I'd be sketchy about him regardless. I do know, that breaking a women's cell phone will she is trying to call for help, while he's beating her is pretty low. and something I wouldn't ever, ever, respect someone for doing. Amazing football player or not. Doesn't matter if he plays for my team.

For example, I enjoy watching Cribbs as a player.

But I don't know how the guy is off the field, for all I know he could be doing all sorts of scummy activities. If I had heard that he had done such a thing like harrison had done, I'd be a bit more conflicted as to whether I could root or support someone like that.

I don't try to elevate players to unfair levels of hero-dom. I also think it's stupid to try to defend a guy for acting like a moron, by saying "Well if he was on your team, you'd love him too and be defending him".

People make mistakes, plus all charges were dropped. He has been quiet ever since.

its better than killing someone, ya know what im saying?

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
10-18-2010, 10:21 PM
People make mistakes, plus all charges were dropped. He has been quiet ever since.

its better than killing someone, ya know what im saying?

I hear ya.

Just sort of tainted my view on him is all, with all do respect.

doesn't mean, again, that I still don't respect as players, Woodley and Polamalu for example. Both guys I'd love to see in orange and brown ;).

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2010, 10:50 PM

Harrison plays the game like it's meant to be played. He's a hard hitter and gives everything on every play. Both of those hits yesterday were legal. That's why there weren't any penalties. For you to say that the hit by Ward on Shipley "wasn't anywhere near as dirty" shows that you're nothing but a homer. Ward launched himself headfirst right into Shipley's helmet. He had his right shoulder up but he hit him with his helmet.

SteelerFanInStl
10-18-2010, 10:52 PM

I agree 100%.

SirHulka
10-19-2010, 05:47 AM

Um.... There's a big difference between hard hitting, and leading with your helmet.

And no, I don't want that punk on my team. I'd take Polamalu or Ward, because they play the game clean. But I don't want Harrison. Period.

X-Terminator
10-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Um.... There's a big difference between hard hitting, and leading with your helmet.

And no, I don't want that punk on my team. I'd take Polamalu or Ward, because they play the game clean. But I don't want Harrison. Period.

Hmmm...so let me get this straight -

You would take Ward, who has a reputation of being a tough, physical player who is no stranger to controversy, was voted the dirtiest player in the game and has a rule named after him because of said physical play...but you would NOT take Harrison, who has a reputation of being a tough, physical player who is no stranger to controversy and is considered one of the dirtiest players in the game.

Yeah...

Right...

SirHulka
10-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Ward doesn't lead with his head. Harrison does.

And Ward isn't a dirty player.

X-Terminator
10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Ward doesn't lead with his head. Harrison does.

And Ward isn't a dirty player.

Is that right? Well then what the hell was all the fuss about over the "Hines Ward Rule" where now you cannot crack back and take out a defender the way he did? Was I just imagining all of that whining from the media and Bengals fans about how he led with his helmet after he broke Keith Rivers' jaw? I don't think I was. Don't think I was imagining all of the same whining from Ravens fans after he took out Ed Reed not once, but twice.

You don't get voted the dirtiest player in the game by your peers if you don't have that reputation. Period.

stlrtruck
10-19-2010, 08:31 AM
So the defense might as well not be on the field. The offensive player is assigned absolutely ZERO responsibility in this league. A RB is allowed to hit the hole with his head down, basically spearing whoever is in his way until he breaks through the line with some "miraculous run" through the defense. But yet a defensive player is not allowed to play that game at 100% speed because someone might get hurt?

I've seen plenty of plays were players fought and fought and fought but wouldn't go down and either broke free or got the first down before going down. So what is a defensive player to do? Not hit them, not make them "pay" for fighting for those yards. I have questions about the hit on Massuaquoi (sp), but I honestly believe the hit on Cribbs was 100% legal according to the rules.

Please tell me, should the defense now only have to two hand touch a man with the ball? Maybe count 10 Mississippi to rush?

I agree that the league needs to take some of the risk out of the game. Like a defenseless receiver (i.e. the hit on Heap on Sunday) or a true spear. But find me one person who can run at full speed without leaning forward giving the impression he's not leading with his head? I know one thing, in pads it's more difficult.

The commish and all his band of lollygaggers are pansifying the league. It's a violent game and while you can do your best to reduce the risk, you can't eliminate or you change the game to something most of us have never known!

GodfatherofSoul
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
No, not to argue, but force = mass x velocity. I do know that is what they are teaching in schools . . . but acceleration is a measurement of gain not the end product (Velocity is that end product). The quickness of the accumulation of speed is irrelevant to the end result - the mass and (ultimately) the speed are what actually equal the force of something.

I was wondering if anyone was going to call me on that - good for you!

Still not right.

Force: F=m x A
Momentum: P=m X v

Go look it up. What they teach in schools is the right formulas.

Dino 6 Rings
10-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Stop being a Pusssy and take your Punishments like men. That's what you get when you DARE get on the field with the Steelers. Would be better for other teams to just take a knee for 3 downs in a row and punt. Otherwise, we are going to PUNISH THEM!

VTsteel
10-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Still not right.

Force: F=m x A
Momentum: P=m X v

Go look it up. What they teach in schools is the right formulas.

I am aware of what is taught and do not need to look it up.

Look at it this way:

Would you rather be hit by a train going 100mph (that accelerated slowly) or that exact same train going 50 mph (that accelerated quickly)?

Does it make any difference to the amount of force applied if the 100 mph accelerated relative slowly compared to the 50 mph one? Of course not! Acceleration is irrelevant to the end product.

When Newton devised this law he was theorizing potential energy - Not the end product. In our application I am concerned with the end product - Actual force. And in practical application Velocity is way more relevant than acceleration.

Newtons theories are only relevant to explain potential. Thus the reason I changed his equation to explain (in practical terms) what goes on when Harrison levels those two men and why TJ couldn't.

Craic
10-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Here's the thing. I went back today and watched the first quarter and a half. Sadly, I think I have to change my mind on the hit on Cribbs. It DOES look like Harrison literally was looking at his head, judging were it would be, and then dropped his head into the earhole. To double check, since frame by frame and slo-mo is often misleading because of game speed, I re-watched it at reg. speed. At that point, with the knowledge that Harrison was seeing his head, it really does look like he targeted it.

Now, Harrison may argue that he was actually lowering his head (and shoulder) to catch him at the shoulder, and the tackle from behind slowed him up. While that is possible, and arguable, it also looks like Harrison could have avoided going helmet to helmet simply by keeping his head up and driving with his hips instead.

The league very well may fine him. At this point, it is absolutely a judgment call, and a fine line there as well (of course, after further thought, they can't since it was a RB, if I remember right). And on THAT note, if a RB lowers his head to bulldoze his way through a pile, then a LB should also be able to lower his head to make a tackle. I just wonder about purposeful aiming at a head, and at slo-mo, it DOES look like he took sight of him.. but again, that could also be argued).

EDIT: I am wrong, that IS illegal. rule 12, 2, 7g using any part of a player's helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/hairline parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily," "violent or unnecessary use of the helmet is impermissible against any opponent."

fansince'76
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Stop being a Pusssy and take your Punishments like men. That's what you get when you DARE get on the field with the Steelers. Would be better for other teams to just take a knee for 3 downs in a row and punt. Otherwise, we are going to PUNISH THEM!

Ironically, the players (and the coaches) aren't saying anything - it's the milquetoasts in the media and the fans who are whining about it. The players know the deal.

Here's the thing. I went back today and watched the first quarter and a half. Sadly, I think I have to change my mind on the hit on Cribbs. It DOES look like Harrison literally was looking at his head, judging were it would be, and then dropped his head into the earhole. To double check, since frame by frame and slo-mo is often misleading because of game speed, I re-watched it at reg. speed. At that point, with the knowledge that Harrison was seeing his head, it really does look like he targeted it.

Funny, because the league "cleared" that one and aren't even reviewing it. It's the one on Massaquoi that they're looking at.

GodfatherofSoul
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I am aware of what is taught and do not need to look it up.

I'd say that's the problem with most opinions on the internet. Make sure to post here when you get your Nobel prize for discovering that Newton and Einstein were wrong about Force.

Craic
10-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Funny, because the league "cleared" that one and aren't even reviewing it. It's the one on Massaquoi that they're looking at.

That is very ironic, because from what I saw yesterday (didn't get to it today yet), that was NOT EVEN helmet to helmet. It looked like a Forearm to the helmet. If he gets fined for that hit, I have to agree 100% with Harrison that it is a travesty.

O'Malley
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I can't believe we even have to talk about this.LET THEM PLAY it is why we watch!

ALLD
10-19-2010, 03:41 PM
You can ask Harrison and he will tell you that he tried to level Cribbs. That is the risk you take when you run the ball across the scrimmage line, whether it be a WR, RB, or even QB. Cross that line rushing and you are fair game. Unfortunately for 31 other teams, they do not have the hard hitting talent of the Steelers. Why do you think we picked up Harrison, Clark, and Ward? Let me tell you, not because they attend charity events. Those dudes are classic football players.

Steelman
10-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Exactly. If you're Harrison and you have the chance to take a slippery Cribbs to the ground, you're going to do it. Harrison came from the far side to deliver the hit; I doubt Cribbs had time to realize he was coming as he was already surrounded. I honestly see nothing wrong with that hit. Those types of hits are made several times a game, and every so often a concussion occurs. It just so happened that they all occurred this week.

I'm on the fence about Massaqoui. I agree with Preacher though; it does appear that Harrison delivered a lot more forearm than helmet.