PDA

View Full Version : 7 reasons why we will be a better offensive team this year.

zulater
10-17-2010, 08:42 PM
1. Pouncey. Huge upgrade at the center position and makes the guards around him better.

2 Redman. Finally a legitimate short yardage back who gives us a chance to convert short yardage situations on the ground. Dude can block and catch a little too. Nice to have a legitimate fb again.

3. Flozell is a better run blocker than Colon. And just as good a pass blocker.

4. Spaeth no longer a waste of space. Notice what you don't notice this year? Spaeth whiffing on two or three blocks a game. The guy has become a beast this year, dominating at the point of atack, well sort of, at least he's not a liability anymore.

5. Wallace strikes more fear into defense's than Holmes ever did and doesn't drop as many balls either. Santonio who?

6. Mendenhall is looking more and more like a franchise back. and his ball security is getting better too. ( tap wood :pray: )

7. Number 7, Ben Roethlisberger. He's elite, and a proven winner, and now he has a better sense of himself and team. .

The Duke
10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
4. Spaeth no longer a waste of space. Notice what you don't notice this year? Spaeth whiffing on two or three blocks a game. The guy has become a beast this year, dominating at the point of atack, well sort of, at least he's not a liability anymore.

yep, and I wanted him gone badly for nate byham

2007 draft has taken a major leap this year

zulater
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
yep, and I wanted him gone badly for nate byham

2007 draft has taken a major leap this year

Yeah, wow, I hadn't even thought of that, but you're right, the 2007 draft is paying off in spades at the moment.

Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth, Sepuvelda, and Gay are all giving the Steelers a solid contribution ( or better) this year.

TheSikOne
10-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Great points but i disagree with the Santonio one. Last year he was in beast mode and had his best season in his football career...and we had BOTH him AND wallace. I think if he wasn't such an idiot and we kept him, we could have been godly this year on offense...

But like I said, I completely agree with all the other points:thumbsup:

steelreserve
10-18-2010, 12:40 AM
1. No Parker
2. No Parker
3. No Parker
4. No Parker
5. No Parker
6. No Parker
7. No Parker

Also, pretty much everything you said above. The offensive line is not great, but finally is mostly stable, and even though I'm not ready to call Mendenhall the next "franchise" running back yet, he offers what we've been missing for several years: a complete all-around back. That's all we needed. All this time while people were saying "Steelers fans just think we need a big back because they're obsessed with Bettis and OMG 3 yards and a cloud of dust" ... well, no. All this offense needs is a pretty good, consistent running back who's not one-dimensional, and that's what we finally have.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2010, 12:43 AM
1. No Parker
2. No Parker
3. No Parker
4. No Parker
5. No Parker
6. No Parker
7. No Parker

Also, pretty much everything you said above. The offensive line is not great, but finally is mostly stable, and even though I'm not ready to call Mendenhall the next "franchise" running back yet, he offers what we've been missing for several years: a complete all-around back. That's all we needed. All this time while people were saying "Steelers fans just think we need a big back because they're obsessed with Bettis and OMG 3 yards and a cloud of dust" ... well, no. All this offense needs is a pretty good, consistent running back who's not one-dimensional, and that's what we finally have.

This entire board will never get tired of you sipping you Parker haterade :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
10-18-2010, 03:53 AM
Great points but i disagree with the Santonio one. Last year he was in beast mode and had his best season in his football career...and we had BOTH him AND wallace. I think if he wasn't such an idiot and we kept him, we could have been godly this year on offense...

But like I said, I completely agree with all the other points:thumbsup:

With the emergence of Wallace I do not miss Holmes one bit. Yea he was a good receiver but I think Wallace is a better one in my book.

polamalubeast
10-18-2010, 03:58 AM
1. No Parker
2. No Parker
3. No Parker
4. No Parker
5. No Parker
6. No Parker
7. No Parker

And no Limas Sweed also

BuddhaBus
10-18-2010, 04:10 AM
And don't forget we're DEEPER at WR this year with the additions of Randle El, Battle, Sanders and Brown.

Lambert_Loonie
10-18-2010, 04:51 AM
And don't forget we're DEEPER at WR this year with the additions of Randle El, Battle, Sanders and Brown.

Maybe its me, but I haven't heard Arnez Battle's name mentioned all year. :P

The Duke
10-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah, Battle's just on special teams. But pretty darn good at it

May offer some depth as the #6, though he's never been much of a receiver anyway

TheSikOne
10-18-2010, 11:12 AM
With the emergence of Wallace I do not miss Holmes one bit. Yea he was a good receiver but I think Wallace is a better one in my book.

Not yet. Don't you guys remember how many big plays he made in that Super Bowl year to help us win games late? Go back and watch highlights of that entire season/playoffs and look at how many times he made a huge play when we needed it. I have no doubt Wallace will be insanely great, but Holmes was on fire these last two years. I'm not saying i like one more than the other, but you have to admit having both of them at the same time as well as Ward was pretty damn good....

Edman
10-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Ben would be on another team or out of the league right now. The Browns were not a well-run organization, and if they play their cards right for once, McCoy could be something for them.

The Browns have drafted and destroyed three young QB's careers already. For their sake they better hope McCoy isn't number 4. The kid definitely has potential.

zulater
10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Not yet. Don't you guys remember how many big plays he made in that Super Bowl year to help us win games late? Go back and watch highlights of that entire season/playoffs and look at how many times he made a huge play when we needed it. I have no doubt Wallace will be insanely great, but Holmes was on fire these last two years. I'm not saying i like one more than the other, but you have to admit having both of them at the same time as well as Ward was pretty damn good....

Holmes also had a critical role in two season changing losses last year. The Bears game he had 3 drops that ended promising drives, including one sure TD. Against the Bengals his drop of of a sure TD right before the end of the first half was devastating as well. Don't get me wrong, Holmes did a lot of nice things in his few years in PGH, but he was also a selfish player who's inattention to detail could rear it's head up at the most inconveinent times.

ALLD
10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
There was no way Holmes would be signed to a huge contract in Pitt, so he would be gone anyway, but causing lots of drama on the way out just like Faneca.

Pouncey could be ROTY. He single handedly sent Hartwig into retirement. Mendenhall has been studying during the off-season. Wallace is looking like the second coming of a prime John Stallworth. Sadly, this might be the last season for Moore. There is always Sepulvida to kick us out of trouble if we stall.

TheSikOne
10-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Holmes also had a critical role in two season changing losses last year. The Bears game he had 3 drops that ended promising drives, including one sure TD. Against the Bengals his drop of of a sure TD right before the end of the first half was devastating as well. Don't get me wrong, Holmes did a lot of nice things in his few years in PGH, but he was also a selfish player who's inattention to detail could rear it's head up at the most inconveinent times.

Yeah I realize that but he still made our offense better. Teams had to worry about Ward, Holmes, AND now an exploding Mike Wallace. That triple threat is pretty damn good however way you slice it. It helped Ben get his first 4000, Santonio's first 1000, and for Mike Wallace to blow up the way he did being the number 3 wr.