PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Browns (October 17, 2010) Post Game Discussion Thread

HometownGal
10-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Please post all of your post-game comments in this thread. Thanks! :drink:

Overall, a damned good performance by the Steelers but especially Big Ben. I was a little concerned pre-game that he may be a little rusty but he came out there with his head held high and his mojo firing on all cylinders and played a helluva game. :drink:

The D is giving me fits in the 4Q again as they did last season. Lebeau has got to change things up on how he approaches the 4Q - the prevent SUCKS. Overall, though, I think they played a pretty good game.

ST's did their jobs, our running game was working well and we kicked some Brownie ass today! :tt02: :applaudit:

X-Terminator
10-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Not really much to complain about today, really. The only thing that's annoying is that the D continues to play soft late in games and give up cheap TDs when they have double-digit leads.

fansince'76
10-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Not really much to complain about today, really. The only thing that's annoying is that the D continues to play soft late in games and give up cheap TDs when they have double-digit leads.

It's Arians' fault! If we ran the ball fifty times, we could kill clock! :chuckle:

The Duke
10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
10 points allowed is great I guess

but it is kinda frustrating watching other teams drive on us like that

the end result is what matter I guess....

polamalubeast
10-17-2010, 03:07 PM
rams(3-3) win vs chargers(2-4):lol:

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2010, 03:10 PM
^ditto all of the above! Release the hounds in the 4th!

oneforthetoe
10-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Good game. Ben is back. Wallace is now a weapon. We have balance.

I'm not that worried about the D in this game. We were never in any danger from Colt in this game. It's what you do with your yards that matter. Most of his yards were either at garbage time or didn't lead to much.As I said in the gameday thread, I was not one of those who thought Colt needed an obit.The kid has an accurate arm, he has been in big games before, and is a winner. He will be a handfull in the future. Come on Cleveland, trade him.

BTW, the Ravens D gave up the lead.

fansince'76
10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
rams(3-3) win vs chargers(2-4):lol:

Rivers sacked SEVEN times. :lol:

oneforthetoe
10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
10 points allowed is great I guess

but it is kinda frustrating watching other teams drive on us like that

the end result is what matter I guess....

I'll take 10 points every game.

Edman
10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
It didn't cost us a game this time, but it is annoying that the D continues to give up vanilla points in the 4th quarter.

It's not players. It's the scheme.

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2010, 03:15 PM
FUN FACT: McCoy had a higher completion percentage, and had more passing yards than Big Ben

Edman
10-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Rivers sacked SEVEN times. :lol:

They have the bright side to look to. They're in the AFC West.

Nobody wants to win that division it seems.

tube517
10-17-2010, 03:20 PM
He can have the stats. Ben has the W

FUN FACT: McCoy had a higher completion percentage, and had more passing yards than Big Ben

ALLD
10-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Nice balance with Mendenhall and Wallace with Timmons' number getting called for all the right reasons except when the safety gave up a TD as Timmons came up to cover the QB.

Good play calling as they eased BB back into the lineup allowing Mendy to carry in a cloud of dust. Would be nice to see a little more of Redzone too.

James Harrison was an assassin taking out Cribbs and a WR with Ryan Clark style hits. The dude is bad.

Butch
10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Please post all of your post-game comments in this thread. Thanks! :drink:

Overall, a damned good performance by the Steelers but especially Big Ben. I was a little concerned pre-game that he may be a little rusty but he came out there with his head held high and his mojo firing on all cylinders and played a helluva game. :drink:

The D is giving me fits in the 4Q again as they did last season. Lebeau has got to change things up on how he approaches the 4Q - the prevent SUCKS. Overall, though, I think they played a pretty good game.

ST's did their jobs, our running game was working well and we kicked some Brownie ass today! :tt02: :applaudit:

Wasn't worried about Ben and he did pretty good but over threw Hines at least 3 times. Love having him back he spreads the ball around and great to see Sanders getting his 1st two catches.

As for the game ball have to give it to Menden Haul who even though he didn't get 100 he did get some huge runs when we needed it most. Love his runs!!!

As for the D I don't mind it at all. The easy touchdown was on Timmons who dropped coverage and left the receiver wide open. Timmons made a nice int. to make up for it but I like it all the same.

Give some love to B.A. as well for calling a very good game using the run and mixing in the pass to keep the ball rolling in the 2nd 1/2. Let's hope he can keep that up for the rest of the season. Oh and on a final note get moore out of the rotation as long as Mendy and Redzone are healthy!!!

O'Malley
10-17-2010, 03:25 PM
^ditto all of the above! Release the hounds in the 4th!

Prevent prevents wins. Dick please take the prevent out of your play book. That is my only complaint for the game. No more prevent in the fourth quarter.

tube517
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't like Arians but I like his playcalling this year. His OL allowed 0 sacks today and is playing well. Props to the OL coach and the ST coach as well

Wasn't worried about Ben and he did pretty good but over threw Hines at least 3 times. Love having him back he spreads the ball around and great to see Sanders getting his 1st two catches.

As for the game ball have to give it to Menden Haul who even though he didn't get 100 he did get some huge runs when we needed it most. Love his runs!!!

As for the D I don't mind it at all. The easy touchdown was on Timmons who dropped coverage and left the receiver wide open. Timmons made a nice int. to make up for it but I like it all the same.

Give some love to B.A. as well for calling a very good game using the run and mixing in the pass to keep the ball rolling in the 2nd 1/2. Let's hope he can keep that up for the rest of the season. Oh and on a final note get moore out of the rotation as long as Mendy and Redzone are healthy!!!

RushHard34
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Nice balance with Mendenhall and Wallace with Timmons' number getting called for all the right reasons except when the safety gave up a TD as Timmons came up to cover the QB.

Good play calling as they eased BB back into the lineup allowing Mendy to carry in a cloud of dust. Would be nice to see a little more of Redzone too.

James Harrison was an assassin taking out Cribbs and a WR with Ryan Clark style hits. The dude is bad.

I think that was Timmons' fault, could be wrong though.

I also wish BA would have changed it up on 1st down, throwing in some more PA. We were fairly predictable on what we were going to do, which is why we couldnt break mendy out like we could have.

Butch
10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't like Arians but I like his playcalling this year. His OL allowed 0 sacks today and is playing well. Props to the OL coach and the ST coach as well

No they didn't and they opened up some nice holes especially on the goal line, but also good thing we got Ben back or their woulda been at least two ro three.

BigNastyDefense
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
It was a pretty good game once our offense got rolling.

Ben was eased back in but made quite the impact. His rust showed but I think by the end he knocked it all off and should be his normal play-making self.

If Timmons doesn't come up to defend Colt McCoy running the ball on that late TD pass, there is no TD. I am not worried about the defense.

Butch
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM

I also wish BA would have changed it up on 1st down, throwing in some more PA. We were fairly predictable on what we were going to do, which is why we couldnt break mendy out like we could have.

I agree that it could bite us later against better teams but it worked today and the one thing I wanna see is if it works stick with it.

X-Terminator
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM

And he got most of those yards on their final 2 drives, thanks to the soft defense. :doh:

The kid looks like he's going to be good, though.

cakmakli
10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
It felt really good having Ben back. I know this might sound weird but to me this game felt like it was the first real game of the season.

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
1 - Mad at Harrison (and the Refs) for his Helmet-to-Helmet no-calls that put out 2 of our Top 3 WRs.
2 - Run D stiffened up in the 2nd half...but we gave up too many big plays.
3 - Stuckey does not need to be returning punts
4 - Haden actually looks pretty good on special teams and is decent in coverage (I like him more than I like Wright.)
5 - Steelers D took their foot off the gas way too soon. Yes, the win was there, but that kind of soft coverage against a more talented team will cause you misery
6 - Good game plan by Bruce Arians.
7 - Good 3-quarters of a game plan by Dick LeBeau
8 - Despite limited talent, Browns are showing more promise than usual...that game was closer than the score would indicate...though it was a clear Steelers Win
9 - Browns need to use Evan Moore in the passing game. He's a beast out there and a matchup nightmare.
10 - McCoy impressed me. I still don't know that he's got legit starting material (long term) because there isn't any NFL game film on him worth looking at (til this game) but he's got a bit of promise.

polamalubeast
10-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Touchdown Tebow!!!:lol::lol::lol:

X-Terminator
10-17-2010, 04:06 PM
1 - Mad at Harrison (and the Refs) for his Helmet-to-Helmet no-calls that put out 2 of our Top 3 WRs.
2 - Run D stiffened up in the 2nd half...but we gave up too many big plays.
3 - Stuckey does not need to be returning punts
4 - Haden actually looks pretty good on special teams and is decent in coverage (I like him more than I like Wright.)
5 - Steelers D took their foot off the gas way too soon. Yes, the win was there, but that kind of soft coverage against a more talented team will cause you misery
6 - Good game plan by Bruce Arians.
7 - Good 3-quarters of a game plan by Dick LeBeau
8 - Despite limited talent, Browns are showing more promise than usual...that game was closer than the score would indicate...though it was a clear Steelers Win
9 - Browns need to use Evan Moore in the passing game. He's a beast out there and a matchup nightmare.
10 - McCoy impressed me. I still don't know that he's got legit starting material (long term) because there isn't any NFL game film on him worth looking at (til this game) but he's got a bit of promise.

I'm glad you aren't blaming the loss on those non-calls, because I'm sure there are Browns fans who are. The first one you could argue, but the second one was a good non-call IMO. Harrison did not lead with his helmet on Massaquoi. Plus, you are going to get helmet-to-helmet contact on many hits during the game. Shit just happens. If the league starts micromanaging hits like that, you may as well put flags on the players.

Anyway, good analysis from the other side.

Slanted August
10-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Gitnoluv,
I think you should be thrilled with Mccoy's performance. Garbage time, prevent D...it does not matter he stayed agressive with no Cribbs nor Massaquoi. I was surprised that the Browns even had some 1st downs. I would think they let him play and have a year like Manning & Aikman had during their rookie season. This will not ruin him like Couch. Mccoy is head strong....good luck except against the Steelers.

steeldawg
10-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I keep hearing people talking about the second half D being soft. Our D has given up 3 second half TD's in 5 games and only 4 TD's total, Thats pretty damn solid if you ask me.

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I keep hearing people talking about the second half D being soft. Our D has given up 3 second half TD's in 5 games and only 4 TD's total, Thats pretty damn solid if you ask me.

It's a bend but don't break defense...however, teams are able to move the ball pretty easily compared to the 1st half. Real good teams will take advantage of that. If a Rookie QB on a team with 3 healthy WRs (none of which are really starter caliber) can move the ball in the 2nd half, what will a team like New Orleans, New England or Atlanta do?

stlrtruck
10-17-2010, 05:04 PM
I think the defense played a little soft at times for my liking, especially given the position they had the browns in at times. I'm guessing that was by design and just a few missed assignments nothing big.

I was impressed with the O-line. I think they had one false start and it wasn't Flozelle Adams, but I can't remember for sure how many penalties there were on the line. They did a great job at creating holes for Mendenhall and they did a great job of protecting Ben.

st33lersguy
10-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice win for the black and gold, up next Dolphins

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Gitnoluv,
I think you should be thrilled with Mccoy's performance. Garbage time, prevent D...it does not matter he stayed agressive with no Cribbs nor Massaquoi. I was surprised that the Browns even had some 1st downs. I would think they let him play and have a year like Manning & Aikman had during their rookie season. This will not ruin him like Couch. Mccoy is head strong....good luck except against the Steelers.
If he can replicate that in the 2nd half of the season (assuming he's still our starter) then I'll be more impressed. However, there is no real game film on him. The best I can say is that he is pretty darn accurate...but he throws up some flutter balls on the deeper passes. He'll make smarter reads as the game slows down for him...but teams will also catch on to his tendancies after a few more games.

I think the defense played a little soft at times for my liking, especially given the position they had the browns in at times. I'm guessing that was by design and just a few missed assignments nothing big.

I was impressed with the O-line. I think they had one false start and it wasn't Flozelle Adams, but I can't remember for sure how many penalties there were on the line. They did a great job at creating holes for Mendenhall and they did a great job of protecting Ben.

Was there even one pentalty on your O-Line? They did a pretty good job protecting Ben most of the game. The 1st half, they did a great job opening holes. 2nd half, they weren't near as dominant. They were, however, more than good enough to get you guys the win.

Count Steeler
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Was there even one pentalty on your O-Line? They did a pretty good job protecting Ben most of the game. The 1st half, they did a great job opening holes. 2nd half, they weren't near as dominant. They were, however, more than good enough to get you guys the win.

I know there was a holding call on Ramon Foster when he came in for Kemo or Legursky.

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I know there was a holding call on Ramon Foster when he came in for Kemo or Legursky.

That's right...Mendenhall busted a big run but it was called back.

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2010, 05:55 PM

It was, CLEARLY, unless a safety was supposed to be over the top, and no one else was even near Ben Watson

Craic
10-17-2010, 05:58 PM

Really? Our D has gone 275 minutes with only 1 TD scored on them. However, they have gone 30 minutes (last 5 per game) allowing 3 TD's. 3 other TD's were missed by the skin of our teeth. Are you REALLY excited about what in all reality could have (and maybe should have) been 6 TD's in 30 minutes?

In other news. I expected Ben to have about that kind of game. He needed to get up to game speed... which is precisely what happened IMO on the INT, as well as a couple of the missed throws.

However, it took him about a half to get there.

Also, did you all notice...Ben was LEADING his receivers much more... After another game or so, this team's offense may end up being just as dangerous as its defense.

Butch
10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Really? Our D has gone 275 minutes with only 1 TD scored on them. However, they have gone 30 minutes (last 5 per game) allowing 3 TD's. 3 other TD's were missed by the skin of our teeth. Are you REALLY excited about what in all reality could have (and maybe should have) been 6 TD's in 30 minutes?

Yeah I am pretty happy with our D and what they have done. They play bend don't break and they usually make the big plays when they need to. Touchdowns missed are still touchdowns that were defended successfully Lucky or not, and once again as I always say I would rather be Lucky than good. I have extremely high expectations from this group.

Craic
10-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah I am pretty happy with our D and what they have done. They play bend don't break and they usually make the big plays when they need to. Touchdowns missed are still touchdowns that were defended successfully Lucky or not, and once again as I always say I would rather be Lucky than good. I have extremely high expectations from this group.

Pretty happy? Heck, I can say I am exceptionally happy... except for the last five minutes of each game.

Count Steeler
10-17-2010, 06:06 PM
It seems that Ike Taylor is feared and McFadden is fresh meat. Do we have a young hungry corner waiting in the wings? Somebody has to push McFadden. I don't think this is the scheme from Lebeau, playing 10-12 yards off the receiver.

X-Terminator
10-17-2010, 06:34 PM
It seems that Ike Taylor is feared and McFadden is fresh meat. Do we have a young hungry corner waiting in the wings? Somebody has to push McFadden. I don't think this is the scheme from Lebeau, playing 10-12 yards off the receiver.

Playing that far off the receiver is part of the scheme. This has been pointed out a million times already (no offense). They do it so that they keep everything in front of them and do not give up the big play. It may be frustrating to watch, but that's just the way it is.

zulater
10-17-2010, 06:41 PM
And he got most of those yards on their final 2 drives, thanks to the soft defense. :doh:

The kid looks like he's going to be good, though.

And a few blatant uncalled holds didn't hurt his cause either.

But regardless the Browns got themselves a qb. That kid was converting 3rd downs at an unbelievable rate all game. They got a good o-line and defensive front 7 too. Don't be shocked if the Browns win 7-8 games this season.

Merchant
10-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Harrison is a goddamn assassin! Not that I like seeing guys get hurt, but knocking out TWO players.. Wowww

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 07:48 PM
And a few blatant uncalled holds didn't hurt his cause either.

But regardless the Browns got themselves a qb. That kid was converting 3rd downs at an unbelievable rate all game. They got a good o-line and defensive front 7 too. Don't be shocked if the Browns win 7-8 games this season.

You haven't seen our schedule have you? :P

zulater
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
You haven't seen our schedule have you? :P

Yeah it does look like some stormy weather in the immediate future, a couple good win opportunities later in the year with buffalo and carolina. Still the browns have been playing everyone pretty tough with crappy qb play, so if MCCoy brings up the level of play behind center some of those close ones could go in your favor.

Regardless I think the future is looking a lot better for you guys with McCoy. You can't fake poise, the kid stood up to a damn good defense and never blinked.

86WARD
10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Two obvious problems.

Offense can't finish games with a 4:00 offense.

Defense can't stop teams with 5:00 remaining.

I don't mind it if there's a 4 TD lead...but they need to finish strong and they aren't doing that.

Steeldude
10-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Playing that far off the receiver is part of the scheme. This has been pointed out a million times already (no offense). They do it so that they keep everything in front of them and do not give up the big play. It may be frustrating to watch, but that's just the way it is.

yet mcfadden let's WRs past him too. :)

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah it does look like some stormy weather in the immediate future, a couple good win opportunities later in the year with buffalo and carolina. Still the browns have been playing everyone pretty tough with crappy qb play,

Seneca Wallace has actually played pretty well for us prior to his injury. Jake Delhomme was doing OK before he hurt his ankle...then it was multiple INTs. Our QB play hasn't been (overall) that bad...our CB play (on the other hand) needs some serious work.

melblount
10-18-2010, 09:52 AM
I have no problem with the prevent D. LeBeau knows exactly what he's doing and I think he's doing the right thing.

Good defense is not always about keeping the other team from scoring a TD. Sometimes, forcing the other team to take time to score is better for guaranteeing the victory. If LeBeau plays his defense aggressively at the end of the game (when the players are tired), there is always a risk of giving up a TD in a matter of seconds. That can throw the whole game in jeopardy. When you're up by two scores, forcing your opponent to take 5 minutes to score a TD can seal a game just as effectively as a sack or a turnover, and with far less risk. It may not look good on the stat sheet. But LeBeau doesn't care about stats; he cares about winning the game.

Unlike Rex Ryan (who mindlessly blitzes in every conceivable situation) LeBeau uses his brain and considers the bigger picture. There is a time to blitz and a time to lay off. LeBeau knows the difference.

Count Steeler
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
It sure did not take the Brownies 5 minutes to score a TD in the 4th quarter yesterday. It seemed like 5 or 6 plays and they were in the end zone. Too soft and too easy for me.

BigNastyDefense
10-18-2010, 09:29 PM
This is my recap of the Pittsburgh Steelers (4-1) vs. Cleveland Browns (1-5) game on October 17, 2010.

The Good:

1. The return of Big Ben. Wow, our offense sure does look different with a legitimate franchise quarterback under center. With Ben in there, the other team's defense has to respect the pass. His arm makes use of Wallace's speed. Heath Miller becomes a weapon again. Ben was a bit rusty at first, but it didn't take him long to knock it off. Three TD passes.....this is going to be a great rest of the season.

2. The balanced play calling by Bruce Arians. Last year Ben Roethlisberger set the Steelers' record for single season passing yards. But we missed the playoffs going 9-7 and finishing third in the AFC North. The Steelers promised a return of a strong run game this season and yesterday was the first true test. We all knew it was going to be a heavy dose of Mendenhall in games 1-4 because of Ben's suspension. But yesterday he ran the ball over 25 times, sticking with it. Maybe Arians has finally learned that run plays are good calls too.

3. Tenacious D. James Harrison is now "The Hitman". He took out Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaqiou with vicious hits. Colt McCoy was sacked five times and threw two interceptions (with one TD in garbage time). A running back hasn't gained even 50 yards against this defense yet this year. There were doubts after last season's late-game breakdowns. This year, the defense is showing that it's not too old, too slow, or too soft.

4. No sacks. Last year in Cleveland, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked eight times. The Browns upgraded their defense with Chris Gocong, Scott Fujita, Sheldon Brown, TJ Ward, and Joe Haden. But none of them could sack Roethlisberger. The line picked up blitzes and blocked their assignments. Also, Big Ben threw the ball away a few times, something he hasn't done much of the last few years....leading to many of his sacks.

The bad:

1. Big hits. James Harrison knocked out Josh Cribbs and Mohamed Massaqiou with vicious hits. Now depending on your loyalties and your view of how the game should be played, they were either hard, good hits or they were dirty and just plain wrong. Well, stuff happens. Guys get hurt. It's football, not curling. These players know the dangers of playing, if they don't want to take the chance of getting hurt, then they need to find a new job.

The ugly:

1. Prevent defense. Why the hell are we going to a prevent defense? I hate the prevent defense because all it does is prevent you from winning the game. The defense should stick to what has worked all game. When you fall back into a prevent defense you don't allow the 40+ yard plays, but you allow the 15-25 yard plays that allow the other team to get into scoring range. The goal should always be three-and out.

----------
bndsteelers.blogspot.com - My Pittsburgh Steelers Blog
Follow me on Twitter - BigNastyDefense