PDA

View Full Version : What may have been had the Browns picked Big Ben

stillers4me
10-17-2010, 07:53 AM
TEXT SIZE http://media.timesonline.com/tol/template/images/plus.gif http://media.timesonline.com/template/images/minus.gif
By: Mike Bires ("")
Beaver County Times
Sunday October 17, 2010 12:05 AM

http://media.timesonline.com/thumb/368x276/17ben2711990.jpg Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (7) runs with the linemen as he warms up for his first practice back after a four-game suspension at the NFL football team's practice facility in Pittsburgh, Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

PITTSBURGH — After seven long months, Ben Roethlisberger finally gets to put his past behind him. Today, he’s back as the Steelers’ starting quarterback.

Even though Roethlisberger embarrassed the franchise with a bar-hopping birthday binge in March that led to a sexual assault charge, the Steelers are glad to have him.
Roethlisberger’s transgressions aside, there are many reasons why his coaches and teammates embrace his return. Among them are the two Super Bowl rings he owns, a dazzling 60-26 record in regular-season games he’s started, an 8-2 record in playoff games and a host of team passing records.....................

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/october/17/what-may-have-been-had-the-browns-picked-big-ben.html

Galax Steeler
10-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Winslow who?

vasteeler
10-17-2010, 08:23 AM
ben a brown? :puke:

Count Steeler
10-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm sure Ben is thankful that he is the Black & Gold and not in the Brownies fold.

MULLDOG24
10-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Really glad that we picked Ben in stead of the Brownies, although whats to say the Brown stains organization wouldn't have ruined his career if he would have been drafted there. Oh well just glad we have him.

siss
10-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Dream on brownies...he's ours...he might be a butthead, but he's our 2x super bowl winning butthead.

steelreserve
10-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Meh. If Cleveland drafted him, he would've had one semi-decent season where they went 9-7 and barely missed the playoffs, then the next year they'd be 4-12 and he'd get benched midway through the season and bounce around the league as a journeyman for the next 10 years trying to regain his touch. That's what you do if you're the Browns' QB -- can you name one that hasn't?

Seriously, I don't know if there's a worse place to play quarterback. Seems like every year, they have some promising young guy who's "the next big thing," and by the middle of the season they're swapping out QBs faster than Paris Hilton changes dicks in her mouth.

MULLDOG24
10-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Meh. If Cleveland drafted him, he would've had one semi-decent season where they went 9-7 and barely missed the playoffs, then the next year they'd be 4-12 and he'd get benched midway through the season and bounce around the league as a journeyman for the next 10 years trying to regain his touch. That's what you do if you're the Browns' QB -- can you name one that hasn't?

Seriously, I don't know if there's a worse place to play quarterback. Seems like every year, they have some promising young guy who's "the next big thing," and by the middle of the season they're swapping out QBs faster than Paris Hilton changes dicks in her mouth. .:applaudit::toofunny::rofl2: Thats funny as hellLOL!!!!!!

vasteeler
10-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Seriously, I don't know if there's a worse place to play quarterback. Seems like every year, they have some promising young guy who's "the next big thing," and by the middle of the season they're swapping out QBs faster than Paris Hilton changes dicks in her mouth.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

BPS3akaWirels3
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
STUPID ARTICLE

Not wasting my time posting about what if's... Damn't I just did.. Ugh..

tube517
10-18-2010, 11:17 AM
:zzz:

BPS3akaWirels3
10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
:zzz:

I knew I liked you... :)

steeldevil
10-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Well the Browns would have been no better of course, but we might still have 4 super bowls...

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/tim-couch-browns-1999.jpg

I don't believe that's what haunting the Browns though.

I believe poor drafting and bad personnel moves are moreso the problems.

What is it that Rooney has always said "Coach and Quarterback", in regards to Modell prying that winning formula?

I think that, and running the ball and stopping the run are the most important things it takes to win in football. The Steelers in 2004 had those things down PAT. A coach that could win in the AFC, a great defense, and a good ground game. QB was the missing variable and you guys found him.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Well the Browns would have been no better of course, but we might still have 4 super bowls...

exactly. He was the X-Factor.

that's not to say though, that you guys wouldn't still be good. The Steelers are and always will be a fundamentally sound team and that will win you some games.

GitNoLuv
10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
The Browns were not built to win games when Big Ben was drafted. We still had a crappy O-line...and very little defense to speak of. We couldn't run the ball, stop the run or keep our QBs from getting sacked.

Our team is built around the winning principals of football (make your O-line and your Front-7 solid). Mangini is built on that...and Tom Heckert and Mike Holmgren are also tied in with that philosophy. (Look at the Jets right now, those are mostly Mangini's players).

As long as we don't completely blow up what we've got now, we should start seeing more improvments on the field, which will eventually lead to more improvements on the W/L column.

cold-hard-steel
10-19-2010, 12:12 AM
From what i saw of ole Colt,he could become a thorn in the side.Granted we did lay off a bit on some plays,But don't count that young guy out. Least we have some photage now.

cold-hard-steel
10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
The Browns were not built to win games when Big Ben was drafted. We still had a crappy O-line...and very little defense to speak of. We couldn't run the ball, stop the run or keep our QBs from getting sacked.

Our team is built around the winning principals of football (make your O-line and your Front-7 solid). Mangini is built on that...and Tom Heckert and Mike Holmgren are also tied in with that philosophy. (Look at the Jets right now, those are mostly Mangini's players).

As long as we don't completely blow up what we've got now, we should start seeing more improvments on the field, which will eventually lead to more improvements on the W/L column.

Least you have a future ahead of you if you hold on to a QB. You guys let him go,you are nuts!!!!

cold-hard-steel
10-19-2010, 12:17 AM
What is now 16,18?

cold-hard-steel
10-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Steelers rock dude, you can't hide from it. Admit you like the Steel, and things will be all good. Why else would you be on here week after week? Just switch over guy,you are too young to go down like that.I will go searching,but i will never find a reason you come here all the time. Hidden Steeler fan!!!

cold-hard-steel
10-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Oh i see it now. You are a scout for the Browns,and you're trying to find out why the BROWNEYES can not deliver when it comes to the Steelers.You had to go back to the past,before Chuck started to change the trend. Onced you found that out your chicken hearted owner decided to leave for Baltimore. You may have been thinking of swinging to the side of Steelers. The Browns are part of this thing,and they always will be.But dude this aint the forties and fifties.