PDA

View Full Version : McCoy gets no break in first career start

LLT
10-17-2010, 05:51 AM
McCoy gets no break in first career startBy John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, October 17, 2010

BEREA, Ohio — A four-year starter at Texas, Colt McCoy played in his share of big games and won a majority of them.

McCoy won 45 of 53 career starts and is the only quarterback in NCAA history to win 10 or more games in all four seasons. He ranks among the top 10 college quarterbacks of all-time in passing yards, touchdown passes and total offense and finished second to Sam Bradford in the 2008 Heisman Trophy voting.

A rookie with the Cleveland Browns, McCoy's illustrious track record will be his biggest advantage when he makes his NFL debut today at 1 p.m. against the Steelers at Heinz Field.

Read More:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_704598.html

stlrtruck
10-17-2010, 07:02 AM
The kid has the right mentality, and he should feel confident, he has won a lot of games through his career. But success through the college ranks does not guarentee success in the NFL. While he has the potential to be a good QB, and playing lights out today could be a great move for him (and the browns), but I hope today he gets an introduction into the NFL like John Elway got on his start in Denver.

Galax Steeler
10-17-2010, 07:09 AM
I would say he will have alot of butterflies when he walks onto the field. I could be wrong but I think it will be a long day for him with the crowd noise and blitzes coming from every direction.

ALLD
10-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Favrebow!

Count Steeler
10-17-2010, 09:38 AM
McCoy's first pass will be:

1) Incomplete
2) Completion
3) Touchdown
4) Interception
5) Pick Six

I say 2. Probably a short dump off pass, just to let him get his first pass out of the way.

Nadroj 20
10-17-2010, 09:41 AM
He will for sure be nervous and I know he knows about the steelers D. He will be babied the whole game and they wont let him do too much.

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeahh uh....i think we kinda gave him a break, even with 2 picks and 4 sacks.

RushHard34
10-17-2010, 03:26 PM
We had him running scared, we were very close to getting to him on multiple occasions...

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeahh uh....i think we kinda gave him a break, even with 2 picks and 4 sacks.

How do you figure he was given a break? The kid played well...especially when you consider the 2nd half he had 3 (total) healthy WRs, excluding 2 of our top 3.

ALLD
10-17-2010, 03:47 PM
McCoy did much better than everybody anticipated. The Browns, however, looked worse than they have in the last few weeks. As more tape is available on McCoy, expect some of those holes to close up on him. He is their best QB right now as long as he can remain upright.

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 03:52 PM
McCoy did much better than everybody anticipated. The Browns, however, looked worse than they have in the last few weeks. As more tape is available on McCoy, expect some of those holes to close up on him. He is their best QB right now as long as he can remain upright.

The last few weeks, we had Seneca Wallace, Josh Cribbs and Massaquoi. Cribbs rarely fumbles a punt return (let alone inside his own 20) like Stuckey. Stuckey is rarely asked to see so much game time (because Massaquoi is a better WR...as is Cribbs.) Seneca Wallace sees the field better than McCoy does...and is harder to bring down.

Slanted August
10-17-2010, 04:35 PM
How do you figure he was given a break? The kid played well...especially when you consider the 2nd half he had 3 (total) healthy WRs, excluding 2 of our top 3.

I just posted in another post that given what he had left to play with it was pretty impressive. Prevent D or not I dont think the Steelers ever hold the door open for the opposition. Colt had to fight for what he earned.

stlrtruck
10-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I think Colt will be okay in the NFL, but Cleveland has got to work hard to put a team around him. And with some of the players they've got, it seems they are working on that. He has the opportunity to be their version of Roethlisberger. He's competitive, he wants to win, and he seems to have a good understanding of the game.

touchdownward
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
After he settled down after the start of the game jitters, Colt had a nice game against us. Something positive elf fans can gain from this game.
Screw Delhomme, I'd stick with McCoy, could turn out to be the QB they've been looking for for ages.

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I think Colt will be okay in the NFL, but Cleveland has got to work hard to put a team around him. And with some of the players they've got, it seems they are working on that. He has the opportunity to be their version of Roethlisberger. He's competitive, he wants to win, and he seems to have a good understanding of the game.

I think a little more improvement on the right side of our line and a playmaking WR...we should be good actually on offense. I like what Hillis brings...and I think that Mike Bell will make a good backup to him. Vickers is one of the best FBs in the game.

Defensively, I think our Front 7 is decent...and love TJ Ward back at the SS spot. He's a poor man's Troy P. Eric Wright should be a NB...with Haden starting over him (long term.) Sheldon Brown should move to FS. We get another CB back there (so that Brown can go to FS) and this team could actually have a legit winning record instead of a few close misses.

BlastFurnace
10-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Colt McCoy is going to be something to deal with once he gets more experience. I hated the fact that the Browns drafted him.

zulater
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
The AFC North is going to be one helluva strong division for the foreseeable future now that the clowns have a legitimate NFL qb. Yeah I know the league will adjust, blah- blah- blah, but that kid is good. He showed poise, and ability today. The Bungles are in deep sheet and figure to be back to their customary spot at the bottom of the division starting next season. Or possibly even this season, I wouldn't rule it out.

Psycho Ward 86
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM

Just me bitching about our prevent D that's all :chuckle:. He played pretty lights out the 2nd half.

GitNoLuv
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
Bah...and I fell for it, Hook, Line and Sinker.

Lambert_Loonie
10-18-2010, 03:49 AM
I thoght Colt did pretty decently all things considered. If I'm Mangini I'd strongly consider going with Colt the rest of the season.

I think Browns fans have a lot to be optimistic about; they have a lot of good pieces on offense and defense alike. And with Mike Holmgren as their "Czar" he'll definitely be doing his part to bring in better pieces to the puzzle.

Back in the olden days, the Browns were Pittsbugh's biggest rival - I wouldn't mind having it go back that way, while Pittsburgh beats Cincy & Baltimore 19 out of every 21 games. :P