PDA

View Full Version : run -V- pass

T&B fan
10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
ok so for the ones who said we have to pass to win we are 3-1 , running more then passing . now that was with out BB , hes back now should we be looking for more pass plays ?? or good old Steelers football and run the dam thing ??? I think you can see what side I am on . 81 pass to 123 run this yr .

The Duke
10-15-2010, 02:42 PM
and kill mendenhall with all those projected carries?

balance is the key. Big ben is not coming back to handoff every play

Im glad the running game is doing great, but we simply won't win against great teams without passing

T&B fan
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
never said no passing . balance is good .as for mendenhall ride him till hes done then bring in the next one . RB are in the draft every yr, its a short life span job 3 to 5 yrs , for most of them . love to see him last 10 or more yrs but its not the norm .

solardave
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Use the run to set up the pass. I'd like to see some quick snaps to the fullback whoever we use.

Chidi29
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
We were balanced last year. I imagine we'll continue that this year.

O'Malley
10-16-2010, 02:40 PM
With Ben back IMO will open up the run game even more. Especially late in the game because there is actually a passing threat on the field. Can't wait for the game.

TheRuneMeister
10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Being 'balanced' is a bit of an illusion on a team with as much talent as the Steelers. Yes, you can push the run a bit more, but generally you have to take what the defense gives you. No point in pushing the run if the opponent is stacking 8 in the box.

Empty sets on 3rd and short though...that seriously drives me insane.

O'Malley
10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Being 'balanced' is a bit of an illusion on a team with as much talent as the Steelers. Yes, you can push the run a bit more, but generally you have to take what the defense gives you. No point in pushing the run if the opponent is stacking 8 in the box.

Empty sets on 3rd and short though...that seriously drives me insane.

Redman! With a fullback in the game and shove it down thier throats. Until they can prove they can stop it that would be my third and short call! I have to agree with you 100% about an empty backfield on third and short drives me crazy as well. Especially when we have backs who run with power.

Chidi29
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't know about empty sets, but we had our conversion rate was the same or slightly higher (Can't remember off the top of my head) passing out of shotgun than it was running under center on 3rd and short last year.

I don't see how we can complain.

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Just freaking mix it up...alright...just run it sometimes on 1st...throw it sometimes on 1st...sometimes on 3rd and 1 run it, sometimes pass it.

Just mix it up, keep it balanced...oh...and once in a while...throw it really really really really really really really really deep to Wallace...he'll be open.

steeldevil
10-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Just freaking mix it up...alright...just run it sometimes on 1st...throw it sometimes on 1st...sometimes on 3rd and 1 run it, sometimes pass it.

Just mix it up, keep it balanced...oh...and once in a while...throw it really really really really really really really really deep to Wallace...he'll be open.

agreed.

Count Steeler
10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Ball control and run out the clock. 7-8 minute drives are perfect and can be done by this team. Short passes, 5-12 yards, nice runs 4-6 yards and just wear out the opponents. Of course, take the shots down the field to keep the defense honest. If our offense can keep their offense off the field, all the better.

HometownGal
10-16-2010, 08:51 PM
We were balanced last year. I imagine we'll continue that this year.

Exactly. :applaudit: Contrary to popular opinion, the Steelers WERE balanced last season and if we have that same balance this year (and the D can hold onto the lead the O gives them in the 4Q), we will be successful. As I always have maintained, the Steelers aren't paying Big Ben the king's ransom they are to hand the ball off to Mendy or whoever else 50-60% of the time. He's a playmaker - continue to utilize that gift.

GodfatherofSoul
10-16-2010, 09:13 PM
never said no passing . balance is good .as for mendenhall ride him till hes done then bring in the next one . RB are in the draft every yr, its a short life span job 3 to 5 yrs , for most of them . love to see him last 10 or more yrs but its not the norm .

That's what's so crazy about the Bus. He was a bruiser back who had the longevity of a QB.