PDA

View Full Version : No need to rush Hartwig and CB Crezdon Butler impressing

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Tomlin: No reason to rush Hartwig

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wide receiver Hines Ward is not the only starter the Steelers are bringing along slowly because of an injury.

Center Justin Hartwig has been limited during offseason practices as the ninth-year veteran is still recovering from the shoulder surgery he had following the 2009 season.

Coach Mike Tomlin said there is no reason to rush Hartwig given his experience and familiarity with the offense.

"It provides an opportunity for some young guys at the position to get quality (repetitions)," Tomlin said.

Doug Legursky has been working primarily with the first-team offense at center, while rookie Maurkice Pouncey has also been used there as well as at right guard.

Pouncey, a first-round draft pick, is considered the eventual successor to Hartwig at center. He could challenge Trai Essex for the starting job at right guard this season.

Hartwig isn't expected to be limited by his shoulder when the Steelers start preseason practice July 30.

Wilson enjoys challenge

Running back may be the position where the Steelers are least experienced. There is little depth behind Rashard Mendenhall, who is entering his second season as a starter, and backup Mewelde Moore.

But that doesn't mean running backs coach Kirby Wilson isn't up to the challenge of working with young players.

"I really enjoy their attitude and work ethic," Wilson said. "They want to learn, so it's fun right now."

Rookie Jonathan Dwyer, a sixth-round pick, and second-year man Isaac Redman are among those who will vie for a spot in a rotation during training camp.

Frank Summers, meanwhile, has been working primarily at fullback after seeing limited action at the position a year ago.

"We're trying to develop him as a top-level fullback," Wilson said of the 5-10, 230-pound Summers.

As for all of the players under his tutelage, Wilson said: "There are days I've got to control my emotions because it's about teaching, it's about coaching, it's about correcting. It's about knowing when to step on the gas and when to step off the gas."

Rookie watch

Coaches don't usually single out rookies - unless it is to correct their mistake — but cornerback Crezdon Butler has made an impression on secondary coach Ray Horton.

"(No.) 40 is rising," Horton said of Butler, a 6-1, 190-pounder drafted in the fifth round. "I know I'm talking about a rookie, but it looks like he's going to make our team better."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 84204.html

kmsteelerwr15
06-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Hey if Butler can improve our secondary, I will be more than satisfied.

MasterOfPuppets
06-03-2010, 01:19 AM
i can't for the life of me understand why they're spending so much time trying to turn a RB, PRIMARILY into a fullback... if they wanted a damn FB, then DRAFT a damn FB.!!!

Galax Steeler
06-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Hey if Butler can improve our secondary, I will be more than satisfied.

Agreed I know it is early and they haven't put the pads on yet but it sounds good that Butler is looking good so far.

steelpride12
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
SO Lewis and now Butler are impressing coaches hmm...Way to early I know, but our secondary could be better than we assumed this season.

Steeltreal
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
i can't for the life of me understand why they're spending so much time trying to turn a RB, PRIMARILY into a fullback... if they wanted a damn FB, then DRAFT a damn FB.!!!

If he turns into Verron Haynes pt 2 thats a good thing imo

suitanim
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Fullbacks in college block, get 3 carries a year, and NEVER catch passes. FB's in a real pro system, like Arians employs, need to block, catch, run, play H-back/TE, and generally be a weapon or at least a diversion in the passing game.

It's Chess, not Checkers...

BuddhaBus
06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Great to hear some rooks showing promise (Butler, Brown, Dwyer). Hopefully this draft will turn out to be one of the best in a long time. Any word on how Redman, Urbik or Gibson have been doing?

MasterOfPuppets
06-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Fullbacks in college block, get 3 carries a year, and NEVER catch passes. FB's in a real pro system, like Arians employs, need to block, catch, run, play H-back/TE, and generally be a weapon or at least a diversion in the passing game.

It's Chess, not Checkers...

and how many carries and receptions does a 270 lb college DT get ?
FB, john conner (kentucky), had more rushing attempts and receptions last year than all of our "H-backs" combined.

carey and johnson combined for a whopping 4 rec last year. and 2 whole rushing attempts ...:jerkit:

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Great to hear some rooks showing promise (Butler, Brown, Dwyer). Hopefully this draft will turn out to be one of the best in a long time. Any word on how Redman, Urbik or Gibson have been doing?

Thaddeus Gibson is not able to practice with the Steelers until classes end in June at Ohio State. Because DL Doug Worthington has already graduated he is thus allowed to practice whereas Gibson is not.

As for Redman, he is reportedly looking really good and in the best shape of his life so conditioning should not be an issue with him this season. It also turns out that Redman has asthma issues and did not bring an inhaler to camp with him last year, that problem has also been corrected.

Urbik is being tried at center to see if he can acquire the type of position versatility to be able to dress on game days but does not look to be in the mix for the starting position at RG...Urbik may make the team but i doubt he will play in games unless there are injuries.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10140/1059455-66.stm#ixzz0ppOt9CbX

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Lewis, Burnett, and Butler.........3 youngsters with tremendous upside. Let's hope they go above and beyond just "having "potential"

The Butler news is surprising, good work kid keep it up

BuddhaBus
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Thaddeus Gibson is not able to practice with the Steelers until classes end in June at Ohio State. Because DL Doug Worthington has already graduated he is thus allowed to practice whereas Gibson is not.

As for Redman, he is reportedly looking really good and in the best shape of his life so conditioning should not be an issue with him this season. It also turns out that Redman has asthma issues and did not bring an inhaler to camp with him last year, that problem has also been corrected.

Urbik is being tried at center to see if he can acquire the type of position versatility to be able to dress on game days but does not look to be in the mix for the starting position at RG...Urbik may make the team but i doubt he will play in games unless there are injuries.

I actually meant Worilds instead of Gibson. My bad.

That's great news to hear about Redman, but how's the legendary "suddeness and glide"?

Doesn't sound like Urbik is wowing anyone. It's still early though.

Thanks a lot for the info! :tt02:

cold-hard-steel
06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Good news about Butler , we may have found something we can use sooner rather than later . We have found "diamonds in the ruff " before . May be a good sign . Can't wait until the pads go on .

Chidi29
06-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Butler also ran with the 1st team the other day as a reward for his hard work.

So far, so good for Crezdon.

43Hitman
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM

How the hell do you have asthma and not bring an inhaler when you're going to be exerting yourself? :doh2:

43Hitman
06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I actually meant Worilds instead of Gibson. My bad.

That's great news to hear about Redman, but how's the legendary "suddeness and glide"?

Doesn't sound like Urbik is wowing anyone. It's still early though.

Thanks a lot for the info! :tt02:

I wish Lakelander would show up around here. This site could use a donation.

43Hitman
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM

I love hearing stories like this. Now that we have some depth, there really is no pressure on these young guys except to learn ST's and some limited defensive packages. Our young CB's just couldn't hold up to the pressure last season.

smokin3000gt
06-03-2010, 07:27 PM
How the hell do you have asthma and not bring an inhaler when you're going to be exerting yourself? :doh2:

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like bench-warmer thinking to me!

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Awesome, do you have a link?

Chidi29
06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Awesome, do you have a link?

shutdown from GLB posts Wexell's notes in his private forum (You're in it, aren't you?)

* Ike Taylor didn’t play with the first team so DBs coach Ray Horton could look at rookie Crezdon Butler at first-team right cornerback. It was a heavy nickel day and William Gay stayed at that position, but it was also done to recognize Butler’s hard work and fine play this spring."

Chidi29
06-03-2010, 07:48 PM
My thoughts exactly. Sounds like bench-warmer thinking to me!

As noted though, the coaching staff does seemed to be impressed withi his conditioning this year. Kirby talked about how unconditioned Redman was as a rookie since Bowie St had such a limited facility.

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 08:04 PM

here's the article on Redman that explains it...

Q&A: Isaac Redman

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/70/709458.jpg

When we last left running back Isaac Redman, he was the toast of training camp. But after a season on the practice squad, Redman says he's adjusted to his asthma and is now "in 10 times better shape." Here's the rest of his story.

Q: How have things gone since those days of stardom?
A: Everything’s been going real well. I’ve got the playbook down pat, know all my protections, so now I’m just out here working hard, trying to get better, and be in better shape and come in camp ready.

Q: Mike Tomlin said last year that you weren’t in good condition. Did he tell you that and what have you done since?

A: Most definitely. Right now I’d say I’m in 10 times better shape than when I went into camp last year. That says a lot because we've still got this whole summer to go and work until camp. I already know for a fact by the time camp starts being in shape is going to be the least of my worries.

Q: What'll be the most of your worries?

A: Just trying to get on this team (laughs).

Q: How bad of shape were you in last year?

A: I wasn’t in terrible shape. It was just all the running and the heat and my asthma. With asthma, you’ve got to be above and beyond good shape. You know you’re going to get tired fast. When you get fatigued, when your asthma gets to kicking, there’s nothing you can do.

Q: Was that a problem at camp last year?

A: Yeah, it definitely was. So this year I’ve just been working really hard with Gie (strength coach Garrett Giemont) and so right now I’m in tip-top shape already.

Q: Anyone mention to you that Jerome Bettis had asthma, and have they prescribed some of the same therapies?

A: No, they haven’t. They just make sure I have an inhaler, because last camp I didn’t bring an inhaler or anything because I don’t really like using my inhaler. Sometimes it makes me feel woozy. I just don’t like how it makes me feel, so I just figured if I come in in the best shape as possible I should be straight.

Q: How did you get into the best shape possible? Did you do anything different?

A: Last offseason I was working on my own after the OTAs. I was just at home doing my own little stuff. Now that I’ve had the chance to be here full-time, I haven’t left. I haven’t gone home but maybe a couple of times, but since the season has been over I’ve just been here working out the whole time. The running backs coach, Coach Kirb (Wilson), already said ‘I can tell you’re already in way better shape than what you were at this time last year.’ It’s because I was able to stay here the whole time and workout all the way through.

Q: Who do you work out with?

A: It’s been a good group of people here all offseason. It’s been a lot of people. Me and David Johnson workout a lot together. A lot of the second-year players, most of us have been here. Ziggy Hood’s a workout maniac. We’ve all been trying to get better all offseason.

Q: You received a lot of acclaim last camp. Did that go to your head at all? And did any of your teammates resent all the attention for a guy who hadn’t proved anything?

A: I know, in my mind, I didn’t think I was better than what I really was or anything like that. I tried my best not to let that go to my head, because I knew that no matter what was said I’ve still got to make this team. That goes to show, I was put on the practice squad. Everybody likes to get talked good about, get write-ups and all that, but at the end of the day it did nothing for me.

Q: Did you notice if it bothered any of your teammates?

A: Oh, no, not at all. It’s not like that around here at all.

Q: What’s the difference in your body? Is it weight?

A: I’m actually about the same weight I was last year. I’m more toned. I just toned it up but I’m about 240 right now and I want to come into camp about 235.

Q: Are you much more comfortable and excited about this camp?

A: Oh, most definitely. I can’t wait for this camp to come. Anything I did last year is not even going to be compared to what I’m planning on doing this year.

http://pit.scout.com/

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2010, 08:21 PM
shutdown from GLB posts Wexell's notes in his private forum (You're in it, aren't you?)

* Ike Taylor didn’t play with the first team so DBs coach Ray Horton could look at rookie Crezdon Butler at first-team right cornerback. It was a heavy nickel day and William Gay stayed at that position, but it was also done to recognize Butler’s hard work and fine play this spring."

I still cant log in lol!

Chidi29
06-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh right. I forgot. That sucks.

atlsteelers
06-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Maybe because its only june or all of the ben stuff but i am really excited to see these kids like brown and bulter. nice to redman being to focus on getting in better shape. i am sure he thought he was in good shape but this is the NFL not division III.

El-Gonzo Jackson
06-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I think we are gonna be fine at CB with Taylor, McFadden, Lewis, Burnett, Butler, Gay......some of them better learn to play ST, otherwise we are gonna need Anthony Madison on the 53 too.

No really great CB's in that bunch unless somebody develops into a pro bowler, but enough to do the job well. As for Center, we have 3 on the roster right now and something tells me that we are only gonna keep 2. Legursky could be a late round camp cut unless we keep 10 O linemen.

hawaiiansteeler
06-05-2010, 02:46 AM
we may have had a VERY good draft this year, as 6th round draft choices WR Antonio Brown and RB Jonathan Dwyer are looking good so far...

"Many think the Steelers got a steal in the draft with the selection of Jonathan Dwyer. However, we just might have a second darkhorse. That would be wide receiver Antonio Brown. Brown played small school ball at Central Michigan University who plays in the Mid-American Conference. But there, Brown finished his collegiate career with 305 catches, good for second all-time in that conference. He also placed himself in the record books at CMU becoming their all-time leader in receptions and the only man in the history of the school to put up two 1,000 yard receiving seasons. Add to that two seasons with 100 catches and his numbers are impressive. Still, he lasted until the sixth round before the Steelers pegged him. Does that put a chip on his shoulder? ABSOLUTELY. Said Brown:

“Of course I expected to go a lot higher. Greg Jennings (Packers) told me to work on little things as far as coming out of my cuts, staying focused and don't worry about the critics. He just said follow in his footsteps.”

We could use a little help at receiver with no Limas Sweed in the mix and Santonio Holmes gone, so we can only hope Brown is the real deal."

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html