PDA

View Full Version : Cook: Gay is Steelers' most improved player

Galax Steeler
10-15-2010, 03:40 AM
It's easy to pick the Steelers' best player as their season gets ready to roll past the quarter-pole Sunday with a home game against the Cleveland Browns. Apologies to Rashard Mendenhall, Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu; it's linebacker Lawrence Timmons. He's been terrific. "A special player, a blur on the screen," coach Mike Tomlin has called him.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10288/1095325-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz12PmvBqMa

stillers4me
10-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Ga

y showed me something this week when I asked him if he was upset when the Steelers traded a fifth-round pick to Arizona for McFadden on draft weekend, a clear indication they weren't happy with his play last season. You should have seen his expression. It was as if I insulted a close family member. "Upset? Why should I be upset? He's a friend. There's nothing to be mad about," Gay said.
I tried to explain my theory about egos and how much it has to hurt to lose a starting job. Gay wanted nothing to do with that. Politely, but firmly, he said, "There's no selfishness from me. I'm not the kind of guy who's going to sit around and cry about who they bring in. For me, it's all about, 'Let's go win a championship.' "

You know that corny, old saying?
It's not your circumstances, it's your attitude.
Gay is proof it's true.

That's team player, right there. That's why we win championships, and the Bengals are... just the Bengals.

zulater
10-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Great story, makes we want to go out and buy Willie's jersey and wear it around town tommorow, er uh nevermind. :scratchchin: I think I'll just cheer him on silently. :chuckle:

Akagi
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I think the improvement is because he now only plays in the nickel package, and isn't out on an island every play.

CanadianSteel
10-15-2010, 11:35 AM
"Way to be Gay"

Wait that doesn't sound right...:lol:

Seriously - seems like he has found his fit better in the nickle coverage and packages. Hope he keeps it up.... and how can you not love that positive attitude...

RushHard34
10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Lawrence Timmons, most improved

Akagi
10-15-2010, 11:59 AM

+1.

GodfatherofSoul
10-15-2010, 12:00 PM
"I'm going Gay for Steelers"

steelerdude15
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Timmons is a monster this year.

Chidi29
10-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Gay is playing no differently than he was last year. At least, we can't visibily see it.

He's just in an easier role. Nickelbacks get a lot less flack. Gay is still the solid tackler that he was last season.

McFadden is allowing catches on the same routes Gay did last year. That's what happens to the LCB on this team.

fansince'76
10-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Agreed. :applaudit:

Craic
10-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Agreed. :applaudit:

Not sure I'd say that... because of the connotation that he wasn't that good before. I think instead, I would say, "Lawrence Timmons, Grown the most into his talent"

For Gay, well. would he be let into the military? Wait.. wrong thread.

Ok, for Gay, definitely improved... and put back into a position where he can succeed.

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I think the improvement is because he now only plays in the nickel package, and isn't out on an island every play.

^The truth, in my opinion.

JonM229
10-15-2010, 10:29 PM
More like "Gay is Steelers' most accurate adjective"

Am I right?

Psycho Ward 86
10-15-2010, 10:54 PM
For Gay, well. would he be let into the military? Wait.. wrong thread.

lol

steelreserve
10-16-2010, 12:05 AM

Exactly. I just hope we don't take a leap of faith that he's "ready" again, unless he proves it by playing well in regular packages, not just the nickel.

Steeldude
10-16-2010, 01:20 PM
hopefully the steelers can find a good CB in the draft so mcfadden can be placed in the nickle package too

zulater
10-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Timmons is most improved, but mostly due to good health this year. ( knock wood) Gay has certainly picked up his game too. I understand the responsibilities of nickel back are more up his alley than being the 2nd corner, but his game has improved nonetheless. Also as an honorable mention I'd offer Matt spaeth. I know he hasn't done much in the passing game, but his blocking is much improved this year.

Crow-Magnon
10-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that Gay has improved since last year. He absolutely stunk up the joint in '09. So far this year he is not biting on routes like last season and has made several plays denying the receiver a ball that last year would have been caught. He made some good plays when the Ravens had first and goal two weeks ago.

O'Malley
10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
More like "Gay is Steelers' most accurate adjective"

Am I right?

At least we don't have male cheerleaders. Or are they just dancers to get your teams juices flowing? Not to mention you "guys" wear purple! So actually that adjective would be more fitting for your Gayvens!

Dino 6 Rings
10-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I say Timmons since he starts on the field on every 1st down. Gay is the Nickle guy.

XxKnightxX
10-17-2010, 05:50 AM
See I like it to look at things in a funny way, In our defense, our corners seem to be our biggest shinks in the armor. We didnt get to draft Revis because of the trade the Jets made ahead of us to get him. Ok so we drafted Timmons, a freak athlete looking for his position on the team. Woodley took over for Haggans and Harrison Exploded as a Beast, so Timmons was already being labeled a bust. We move Timmons into middle linebacker for coverage situations, a CRUCIAL part in 08 from the unforgiving schedule that we had, and a new star has emerged. So when it comes to Gay, we didnt draft him to be our number 2 corner, but looking at how the corner draft went and the departure of BMac, Gay was basically still a rookie starting in LeBaus Zone Blitz defense, something that Polamalu didnt even get to do and any rookies at that. So he was rushed into it, so with time Gay will become more of an asset being able to play man to man in the Nickel and maybe playing man to Man in blitz sitations, with some limited zones, and add to our pass rush through Woodley Harrison, and Timmons blitzing. I know it sounds confusing but I think we really took two stones out of the ground and made em into diamonds. Its what the Steelers FO does, it doesnt say shoulda could woulda, but they make the best out of what they have.