PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: Future Hall of Famer?

polamalubeast
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger will make his much anticipated 2010 debut Sunday after serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy in the offseason. If things shake out the way the Steelers hope, Roethlisberger would become the first quarterback to twice start 12 or fewer games in a season but still lead his team to a Super Bowl crown (knee problems cost him four games in 2005).

As Roethlisberger, 28, officially begins his seventh professional season this weekend, he seems to have plenty of football ahead of him. But if his career was cut short, is his body of work already strong enough to get him into the Hall of Fame?

read more

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-future-hall-of-famer/1

O'Malley
10-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't know if the voters could get past the accusations yet. He would probably have to wait a decade or so.JMHO.

Bluecoat96
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know if the voters could get past the accusations yet. He would probably have to wait a decade or so.JMHO.

I think you're right.

If he gets another super bowl victory or 2 under his belt though, he's a 1st-ballot HoF inductee in my eyes.

venom
10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I think you're right.

If he gets another super bowl victory or 2 under his belt though, he's a 1st-ballot HoF inductee in my eyes.

Your right , I wont even give him 2 more rings. One more will do it.

HollywoodSteel
10-14-2010, 12:58 PM
If his career ended today? No way. But he certainly has the potential to get there.

Craic
10-14-2010, 01:04 PM
After the last SB, I told a buddy of mine, "Ben didn't put himself in the HOF today, but he firmly put himself on the road to the HOF." I don't think he has to win another SB. However, it would definitely help. Especially if we win it on his arm again, and even more so if he becomes the MVP. However, I think another 7-8 years with the same stat lines and just a bit more TD passes compared to last year, he is in the HOF, even without another SB win.

As much as his personal life is distasteful in certain aspects, the HOF has already shown that they look much more at the actual performance than at life issues. Otherwise, Michael Irving, Lawrence Taylor, and others would be out as well. No, by the time Ben is eligible, I don't' think there would be any problems.

ALLD
10-14-2010, 01:55 PM
One more ring will put him in. In addition, when Brady and Manning are out of the league in a few years and if BB is still playing at a high level- that is when he will receive his recognition. Until the media is off the nutsac of the first two after they retire will they eventually consider an heir apparent.

JayC
10-14-2010, 03:51 PM
he needs another super bowl. 2 would put him with the greats of all time no matter the career yards/td stats.

steelerdude15
10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Yes, I do believe he is a future HOFer.

Lambert_Loonie
10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't know about the "rings" arguement - look at Marino and Jim Kelly. :P If Ben continues to play at a high level for another 4-5 years, I'd say he's in.

CPanther95
10-15-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't know about the "rings" arguement - look at Marino and Jim Kelly. :P If Ben continues to play at a high level for another 4-5 years, I'd say he's in.

The diffference is there are plenty of great QBs that didn't win a Super Bowl, but there are very few bad ones that won a Super Bowl.

If you win two, you're very likely to get in to the HOF - unless you're Jim Plunkett.

If Ben wins 3, it's almost a lock.

Akagi
10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Even without the accusations, if his career ended today, right now, I would say no. Do I believe a HOF career is in progress? Yes, absolutely. He has the numbers and the rings. But if it were to end now, it would just be an interrupted HOF career, like many others.

Nadroj 20
10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I too think he has the potential to be in the HOF....idk if you can say yet that he is a for sure HOFer but I think one day we will be able to say that easily.

GitNoLuv
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
If the Browns ended his career this Sunday, I don't think he'd be a 1st ballot HoF...but he'd get in. The naysayers will point out the kind of defenses he's played with...as well as having one SB with Bettis. They'll see the number of sacks he takes (trying to make a play) and combine that with his alleged indescretions.

It would take a few years, but he'll get in. In fact, IMO, the only way he doesn't get in...is if he plays the next few seasons at a sub-standard level.

Count Steeler
10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
He certainly has the potential to be in the HOF. 7 years is just not enough time yet.

SteelGhost
10-15-2010, 08:14 PM
If the Browns ended his career this Sunday, I don't think he'd be a 1st ballot HoF...but he'd get in. The naysayers will point out the kind of defenses he's played with...as well as having one SB with Bettis. They'll see the number of sacks he takes (trying to make a play) and combine that with his alleged indescretions.

It would take a few years, but he'll get in. In fact, IMO, the only way he doesn't get in...is if he plays the next few seasons at a sub-standard level.

:buttkick: