PDA

View Full Version : Players without teams find themselves living in limbo

LLT
10-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Players without teams find themselves living in limbo
By Bob Cohn, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Doug Worthington thought he had it made. On the Steelers practice squad, that is.

A seventh-round draft pick from Ohio State last spring, the defensive end would have preferred a spot on the 53-man roster. But the coaches liked him, and at least he had a job playing football.

Then, he quickly learned why NFL, as the former coach Jerry Glanville famously said, means "Not For Long."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_704008.html

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 09:02 AM
I wonder everyday what Fast Willie is doing... Man I miss that guy.. Sorry, I always thought he was top notch...

GodfatherofSoul
10-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Kinda sucks for these guys. They should pay them a decent salary to keep them in a position where they can work out and be prepared to be called up.

CanadianSteel
10-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Interesting article for sure... thansk for sharing.

Always wondered why the leuague doesn't paretner with the CFL or Arena league to help develop more players who might be "hidden gems".

The Duke
10-13-2010, 11:13 AM
I would have thought more players would go the the UFL this season

aren't there like 5 teams already?

I'm also shocked Joe Burnett wasn't signed by anyone

SteelerSal
10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I wonder everyday what Fast Willie is doing... Man I miss that guy.. Sorry, I always thought he was top notch...

Little different situation between Willie being unemployed and Worthington. Willie got his NFL playing time and big salary while Worthington made 40k and never sniffed the field for a real game.

Dino 6 Rings
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Good read, and I get the let down these guys must feel at the end of the day.

Still, there are 32 teams, with 53 man rosters, that's 1696 positions every year. Some of them open each year, and there are what? 8 practice squat slots per team? Thats another 256 possible spots for a young player to fill somewhere in the league. If you don't make it, its because you don't have what it takes to be one of the best football players in the country.

Think of it this way, there are 120 Div I teams, with roster numbers up near 100 each team. That's 12,000 potential players for the NFL. you have to be Elite to play at the professional level. That's how it works.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Little different situation between Willie being unemployed and Worthington. Willie got his NFL playing time and big salary while Worthington made 40k and never sniffed the field for a real game.

I understand that.. I'm just saying... Yes, I am a big fan of Willie...

GodfatherofSoul
10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
There are always guys who get looked over who have the talent. There was a big stink about Belicheck's trip to Florida (?) and signing I think 3 of those guys who start for him now? Think that was because of his genius? He just had the opportunity to take a look at the guys close up. Lots of bubble talent goes to waste. Think about where Redman was last year.