PDA

View Full Version : Who is on your draft wish list for the 2011 draft?

NLross
10-11-2010, 09:22 PM
1. CB Patrick Peterson - LSU Steelers need a Revis-like absolute shutdown corner to free up Polamalu even more

2. FS Ras-I Dowling - Virginia or FS raheem Moore - UCLA, Yet another partner to the best defensive player in the game (Troy Polamalu)

Chidi29
10-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Rodney Hudson/RG Florida state

polamalubeast
10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
No WR please!:pray::pray::pray:

Our last 2 WR to be drafted in the first round have many off-field problem.

2000:Buress
2006:Santonio

Steeltreal
10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Mike Pouncey at Guard!

Merchant
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I want Mike Pouncey.. The Pouncey Twins reunited on the Steelers O-line.. that would be dope.

I think we go Tackle in the first round though.

Merchant
10-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Mike Pouncey at Guard!

Beat me to it by 30 seconds.. you bastard

Godfather
10-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't mind grabbing another Tiger--Drake Nevis. Dude is a BEAST and our three defensive line starters are all on the wrong side of 30.

steelerdude15
10-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Too early to tell yet.

JayC
10-11-2010, 11:46 PM
the best on the board at 32 hopefully :D

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-11-2010, 11:47 PM
I'll hope for Nate Potter, but we wont draft that high.

steelreserve
10-11-2010, 11:55 PM
I hope this is the year they finally pick up a nose tackle. I'd chuckle if we took the guy from Hampton University - can't remember his name, but he's some Jamaican guy who's like 6'5" and 340 pounds.

In the later rounds, I'd like to see us pick up a real fullback, and at this rate, probably a kicker.

Galax Steeler
10-12-2010, 03:25 AM
FS Ras-I Dowling - Virginia I had my eyes on this guy last year but he decided to return for another year hopefully we get him this year.

Aussie_steeler
10-12-2010, 05:22 AM
Currently have four players on my watchlist ( that could well change to my wish list)

At OT I would like to see more of junior Matt Reynolds (a guy who could handle RT early on with the view of possibly moving to LT later)

At DE I like Iowa's Christian Ballard and Bama's junior DE Marcell Darius ( two players well positioned to have a big future as s 3-4 DE)

ILB Donta Hightower has been on my wishlist for a while - but a 1st round pick is not going to spent at for a long while and there are much greater needs.

Lambert_Loonie
10-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Offensive line and load up on defense. The UCLA kicker would be a nice addition too.

LLT
10-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I'll hope for Nate Potter, but we wont draft that high.

I LOVE Nate Potter....though I wish Boise St would leave him at LT. Who knows, with him being moved around it might drop his draft projection. I think he is a late 1st rounder right now.

If we had the ability to take any player I might go with OT Derek Sherrod...if we are talking about a player that might be there when we pick, I would say OT Nate Potter of Boise St or OT Nate Solder of Colorado

Steeldude
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
IMO, they need a future tackle the most.

then they need a CB or DL.

LLT
10-12-2010, 09:57 AM
IMO, they need a future tackle the most.

then they need a CB or DL.

Totally agree...I would like to see a OT in the first a CB in the second and a either a DT or DE in the third

GitNoLuv
10-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd like to get Cameron Heyward. I think he'll be a beast of a 3-4 DE similar to your teams A. Smith. Browns need some more youth on the D-line...and I think he'd fit in nicely next to Rubin. Have Rogers start as our other DE on the other side of Rubin and you've got a beastly front 3 that would rival most 3-4 D-Lines.

LLT
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
I'd like to get Cameron Heyward. I think he'll be a beast of a 3-4 DE similar to your teams A. Smith. Browns need some more youth on the D-line...and I think he'd fit in nicely next to Rubin. Have Rogers start as our other DE on the other side of Rubin and you've got a beastly front 3 that would rival most 3-4 D-Lines.

Cameron Heyworth might be the #1 overall pick this year. He can play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Good NFL bloodlines also.

MULLDOG24
10-12-2010, 11:27 AM
OK folks this guy isn't a 1st rounder but he is a football player plain and simple, how about Owen Marecic starting MLB/FB for Stanford! I love this kid he is hard nosed and plays on both sides of the ball. could be a great ST guy, blocking FB, short yardage back, and might be good enough to play some MLB in the future. Plays in a 3-4 scheme as well so that could help and had a nice pick-6 against Notre Dame. At 6' 1" and 244 lbs he is a beast and will make some team a solid player. What ya think about this guy LLT would he make a good Steeler?

The Duke
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Heyward is a freakin beast! I'd hate it if he went to the browns

Chidi29
10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I hope this is the year they finally pick up a nose tackle. I'd chuckle if we took the guy from Hampton University - can't remember his name, but he's some Jamaican guy who's like 6'5" and 340 pounds.

In the later rounds, I'd like to see us pick up a real fullback, and at this rate, probably a kicker.

Kenrick (Or Kendrick, I've seen both) Ellis is who you're thinking of.

I watched him against Deleware St. Wasn't too impressed. He did show some flashes in penetration and collapsing the pocket and has a good motor but looks to be pretty raw. Loses to leverage battle and gets driven off the ball too much for a guy of his size going against the caliber of talent he did, though I do kinda like State's RG Darryl Hicks.

I caught a couple of looks at Phil Taylor. Didn't get to see him against the run too often, but I know he's got tremendous size and looked really quick off the ball. That's encouraging.

st33lersguy
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
I would like a franchise nose tackle to breed before Big Snack retires in a couple years. Anyone know who the top NT prospects are?

LLT
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I would like a franchise nose tackle to breed before Big Snack retires in a couple years. Anyone know who the top NT prospects are?

This years NT class isnt loaded in the first two rounds...but their are some interesting prospects

Jerrell Powe of Ole Miss is 6'2 330 and probably the #1 legitimate 3-4 NT in this coming draft. His stock is slipping just a bit...but I think his problem is due more to the defensive scheme he is being asked to do...then it is to his ability. Powe needs to get back to tieing up blockers for his LBers...and stop the 3-technique crap. Some problems have been reported with Powe's "intellect" so some teams may be leary of drafting him.

Kendrick Ellis from Hampton is 6'5 and 340 lbs...He was kicked off the University of South Carolinas team for marijuana use...When he is on his game he is a man among boys but has been very inconsistent this year.

Sione Fua of Stanford is 6'2 308....Fua is a little light to play NT at the pro level but he gets excellent leverage and is naturally strong. If he continues to play with the reckless abandon that he has shown this year he could move ahead of this years pack.

Phil Taylor of Baylor is 6'4 355 lbs....Taylor needs to show that he can monitor his weight or the same questions that we all had about Terrence Cody during last years draft is going to hang over his head. Very strong...but seems to tire late in the game. A year or two in a NFL program before he is asked to contribute might benefit him greatly.

Anthony Gray of Southern Miss is 6'0. Weight: 318 lbs.....Gray had 7 1/2 TFL last year. He is an underrated prospect that we should keep an eye on. His draft stock may rise before the season is over.

Ian Williams of Notre Dame is 6'2 310 lbs....just like Sione Fua, Williams shows great leverage and has good strength. Of all the NT's I have seen this year, Williams explodes off the line with more power and punch then anyone else. I like this kid alot. If you are looking for a sleeper...this is your guy.

Lawton Scott of Ole Miss is 6'2 325 lbs....Second day prospect that shows flashes of power. Still waiting for him to get in all together and meet his full potential.

Texasteel
10-12-2010, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=LLT;70811]This years NT class isn't loaded in the first two rounds...but their are some interesting prospects

Kendrick Ellis from Hampton is 6'5 and 340 lbs...He was kicked off the University of South Carolinas team for marijuana use...When he is on his game he is a man among boys but has been very inconsistent this year.

I still think that his problem with inconsistency is because he doesn't lower his shoulders enough, and lets smaller players under him. If someone can coach this out of him he may be unstoppable. Just don't know if we would touch him because of the off the field problems.

Probably talking about a 2nd round pick.

steelreserve
10-13-2010, 01:10 AM
I think nose tackle is a position where it doesn't really do you any good to be tall anyway. You're better off being 6'0" and built like a bowling ball. Height seems like it benefits offensive linemen a lot more, and in particular OTs, because having longer arms helps you fend guys off. 3-4 defensive linemen don't really have a use for that; it's all about strength and leverage.

Anyway ... there don't tend to be many blue-chip NT prospects coming out of college these days in the first place. There's maybe one every three or four years, and they tend to be out of our draft range. Just not too many college kids are ready to come straight into the league and have the physical makeup to overpower NFL offensive linemen at 22 years old -- it really seems like even if you're 330 pounds, your body doesn't quite develop the right build until you're 25, 26, 27 years old. That seems like a position where you take a guy in the second or third round and see how he turns out, which is what I'd like to see us do unless we get really lucky and have someone turn into a clear-cut No. 1 that we can grab.

I'm not really strongly advocating Ellis; I just thought it would be slightly amusing if we took a guy from Hampton to be the backup to Hampton. I guess you had to be more drunk to find that funny.

LLT
10-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I am going to keep an eye on Sione Fua of Stanford and Ian Williams of Notre Dame.....though I prefer my NT's to be at about 320+...both of these guys have the motor and work ethic to make an impact. They might both end up being 3 technique DT's but hey...Hoke is just about their size and he could start on most teams.

I have the same feeling with these two prospects that I had last year with Dan Williams of Tennessee...so they both might end up being drafted before the third round

Texasteel
10-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I like mine a little shorter and beefy. I'm watching Gray as much as I can.

LLT
10-13-2010, 09:41 AM
I like mine a little shorter and beefy. I'm watching Gray as much as I can.

If you get a chance check out Williams....he is your type of player. Gets himself FIRED up sometimes!!! I would be interested in your take on him.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Michigan+State+v+Notre+Dame+GpYEJ_mP9QFl.jpg

steeldevil
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Marvin Austin may drop some because of being kicked off his team. He may be available when we pick in the 2nd.... Not sure if he will be a NT though. What do you draft experts say?

LLT
10-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Marvin Austin may drop some because of being kicked off his team. He may be available when we pick in the 2nd.... Not sure if he will be a NT though. What do you draft experts say?

Oh boy.....Well...Marvin Austin of North Carolina (or formally of North Carolina) is 6'3 305 lbs...He was predicted to go in the 2nd round before being kicked off the team for accepting jewelry and cash and other items totally over $10,000 from an agent.

I think we have to look at Dez Bryant's situation last year as a parrallel to what will happen to Austin. He will "probably" drop a round or two on a lot of boards and be completely taken off of some teams boards. Based on what we know right now...I would guess that ultimately his stock drops to at least the 4th round and possibly as far as a late 6th.

XxKnightxX
10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
My fantasy pick would be Cameron Heyward, Ive met his brother and his father, and his fathers HS Coach was my coach, so Ive always had Ironhead and his family around me and Ironhead was an inspiration. He reminds me of Jay Ratliff or Chris Canty, Power and Quickness, no massive speed but his long arms legs and body will overpower anyone if he gets his arms on you. Hes going to be a top 15 pick so it would be a crapshoot if we draft him. But besides that Kendrick Ellis might seem like a good pick, Height and Arm length isnt bad if you know how to use your body. If your able to handle your large body frame , using your arms is even better to abusing the center and the ability to see better and come off your blocks.

Chidi29
10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I think we have to look at Dez Bryant's situation last year as a parrallel to what will happen to Austin. He will "probably" drop a round or two on a lot of boards and be completely taken off of some teams boards. Based on what we know right now...I would guess that ultimately his stock drops to at least the 4th round and possibly as far as a late 6th.

If Austin is a parrallel to Bryant, wouldn't that mean that his fall would be fairly minimal? Wouldn't Austin go in the late 1st-mid 2nd since he was projected to be a potential top 15 pick?

LLT
10-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I think the parrallel is that he WILL fall. He doesnt have the parachute of being a skill position.

steeldevil
10-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Oh boy.....Well...Marvin Austin of North Carolina (or formally of North Carolina) is 6'3 305 lbs...He was predicted to go in the 2nd round before being kicked off the team for accepting jewelry and cash and other items totally over $10,000 from an agent.

I believe I saw that he is a top 25 talent. I seriously doubt he drops below the 2nd round if that is the case. This issue of his does not affect his playing ability, so I dont see such a drastic drop. Just my 2 cents.

Texasteel
10-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I LOVE Nate Potter....though I wish Boise St would leave him at LT. Who knows, with him being moved around it might drop his draft projection. I think he is a late 1st rounder right now.

If we had the ability to take any player I might go with OT Derek Sherrod...if we are talking about a player that might be there when we pick, I would say OT Nate Potter of Boise St or OT Nate Solder of Colorado

The game I saw Potter at LT I thought he did a good job. like you I don't think his coach is doing him any favors moving him around. I see him listed in a few publication as an OG, and I think he will be a OT in the pros. I'm still not sure he comes out this year.

I have read in a couple of sites that Sherrod will not only be there for us, but one that we both use has us taking him. If that happens I will be very happy. I'm watching the game against Houston again right now, and I like him very much.

Chidi29
10-15-2010, 05:05 PM
One guy to check out if you're able to is Travis Ford-Bey. Granted, he plays at a very low level for D-II West Chester. But I've watched him a few times and he's got a terrific first step. Tackles have to hold him to slow him up.

He's pretty small (6' 240) and his numbers aren't eye-popping, but West Chester also plays a 3-4 with Bey at RE. Makes it tougher for him to get sacks. He was third on the team in sacks last year and led the team in hurries. West Chester was also first in their conference against the run. At the very least, Bey has had to work on how to play the run because of his position at the five technique.

Couple of articles on him:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100901_At_West_Chester__a_small_DE_plays_big.htm l
http://www.pottstownmercury.com/articles/2010/08/15/sports/srv0000009103431.txt

I understand the low level of competition, but this guy has been tearing up the teams he is facing. What more can you ask for?

West Chester has been on espn3 at least once. And they were just on Fox Sports net the other day in a "Game of the Week" against Shippensburg. If you happen to catch a game, you won't be sorry.

LLT
10-17-2010, 09:10 AM
I believe I saw that he is a top 25 talent. I seriously doubt he drops below the 2nd round if that is the case. This issue of his does not affect his playing ability, so I dont see such a drastic drop. Just my 2 cents.

You could be right...but here is why I think you may see Austin fall more that a player like Dez Bryant.

1) Position played:
Skill players will always be given a little more leaway than "trench players". Coaches are willing to overlook some discretions for players that "man" positions that are harder to come by. Wide recievers and cornerbacks are harder to come by then 3 technique DT's. Austin might get some looks as a NT but his natural position is at 4-3 DT. IF a team thinks he can play NT it will raise his value.

2) Ranking at position:
Bryant was the unanimous #1 talent at WR...Austin was considered to be somewhere between the #3 and #5 best DT at the time of his suspension. Players like Sione Fua and Ian Williams WILL surpass him before the season is over..and there is a chance that players like Kenrick Ellis, Adrian Taylor and Jarvis Jenkins will prove themeselves enough that coaches will take a "sure thing" over a potential problem child.

3) Work Ethic:
Outside of his violation...Austin now has people worried about his work ethic. Coach Davis suspended Austin before the NCAA ruling came down. There is no doubt that his NCAA violation was the biggest part of that...but there are now rumors about a bad attitude and work ethic that made it VERY easy for Coach davis to come to a quick decision.

All that being said....some team may ignore any red flags at all...and draft Austin in the 2nd round. I just think that a slide to the 4th round is a very good possibility based on the factors mentioned

st33lersguy
10-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Austin will be drafted by the Bengals in the 1st round

LLT
10-17-2010, 10:33 AM

:applaudit:

BigNastyDefense
10-17-2010, 06:58 PM

Beat me to it!

I don't think we need to take a NT in the first round. Hampton is going to be here for a few more years so we can take a guy in the second or third round and take that time to develop him without paying him first round dollars.

I would like to take an offensive lineman in the first round, preferably a tackle and if we don't get a tackle then Mike Pouncey to play RG would be fine with me.

If there isn't an OL that's worth the pick, then I would love to take a CB.

So my wish list in order of importance:

1. OT
2. OG
3. CB
4. NT
5. FS

Chidi29
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Three more guys.

Daryl Hicks/RG Delaware St.
Did a good job of handling Kenrick Ellis against Hampton. That's a tough task. Fundamentally sound, moves well laterally, gets a good push in the run game, and a solid cut blocker.

Kelly Griffin/NT TCU
Isn't a 350 pound clogger, but he's short so he doesn't have to be at that weight. Listed around 6'1 310. Can handle his own one-on-one pretty easily. Endurance is better than a lot of lineman, too. Doesn't have to come out for many snaps. Have to figure his work ethic is top notch.

Bruce Miller/ILB UCF
Haven't watched him yet, but I was clicking around and his stats definitely stand out. Had a combined 34 TFL and 19 sacks in 2008 and 2009. Already at 6 TFL, 3 sacks, and has an INT returned for a touchdown this season.

Steeltreal
10-24-2010, 06:12 PM
J.J. Watt - Wisconsin (HT: 6-6 - WT: 292)
http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/de.shtml#watt

A. Smith injury moves DE priority #1 imo

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 10:58 AM
If you get a chance check out Williams....he is your type of player. Gets himself FIRED up sometimes!!! I would be interested in your take on him.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Michigan+State+v+Notre+Dame+GpYEJ_mP9QFl.jpg

Sorry it took me so long to get back on this one.

I did watch Williams in most of 2 games. Your right he does play with a great deal of emotion, and has a tremendous first punch. The only thing I think I noticed was that on short yardage plays he seemed to try to absorb the first hit and was far less effective. It was almost like he was waiting to see where the RB was going instead of doing what he does best, knock the crap out of the guy across from him. He has the height I like in a NT, and looked like he could carry another 10 pound which would put him at 315 (that would be fine with me.) He seemed to be quick off the ball, but did not move laterally very well, that wouldn't hurt him much at NT. He does well what the Steelers ask their NT to do. Plug up the inside, and tie up a man or two so that someone else will have a free run at the QB. If he is there in the 3rd round I would not hesitate to take him.

LLT
11-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back on this one.

I did watch Williams in most of 2 games. Your right he does play with a great deal of emotion, and has a tremendous first punch. The only thing I think I noticed was that on short yardage plays he seemed to try to absorb the first hit and was far less effective. It was almost like he was waiting to see where the RB was going instead of doing what he does best, knock the crap out of the guy across from him. He has the height I like in a NT, and looked like he could carry another 10 pound which would put him at 315 (that would be fine with me.) He seemed to be quick off the ball, but did not move laterally very well, that wouldn't hurt him much at NT. He does well what the Steelers ask their NT to do. Plug up the inside, and tie up a man or two so that someone else will have a free run at the QB. If he is there in the 3rd round I would not hesitate to take him.

Willliams and Sione Fua, the DT from Stanford, are both interesting. Fua is 6'2 306 lbs and a high character guy with a heck of a motor.

I am trying to make heads or tails out of the DE situation. It looks like there are some very good potential 3-4 DE's this year. here is a short list:

1) Marcell Dareus, DE Alabama...6'3 306
2) Cameron Jordan, DE, 6'4 290.
3) Allen Bailey, DE, Miami, 6'4 288.
4) Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State, 6'6 287.
6) Lawrence Guy, DE Arizona State, 6'5 293
6) Christian Ballard, DE Iowa, 6'5 285.
7) Jared Crick, DE Nebraska, 6'6 285.
8) Nick Fairley, DE Auburn, 6'4 299
9) Jarvis Jenkins, DE, Clemson 6'4 313.
10) Mike Blanc, DE, Auburn 6'4 288.

I know you like those sleeper picks as much as I do...so here is one to keep an eye on. Cedric Thornton, DE, Southern Arkansas...6'4 295.....In 2009 he had 80 tackles, 23 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and two blocked kicks.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 02:00 PM
DE could work out very well for us if a few of the underclassmen come out. Jordan may be close to moving into the top spot unless DaQuan Bowers and Marcus Darreus or Nick Fairley come out. Jared Crick and JJ Watts could play a part but I think if the others come out they will probably stay in school. I think Guy stay in school, he has be plagued by injury's and it has effected his draft status. If several of these guys do come out, I think there is a chance we could find Ballard or Watts sitting there for us in the 2nd round.

I always look at last years stats and know about Thornton. He is not as quick as some but could fit the Steelers like a glove. Another one I've thought about is Adrian Taylor of Oklahoma, he will go in about the same area. If we wait till the 4th round Thornton very well could be the pick.

I also think that OT could end up working out very well for us if Tyron Smith and Matt Reynolds come out.

Of course all this could go out the window with the possibility of a lock out in the future.

Chidi29
11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
I've been meaning to mention these guys. I have never watched them play, but I got bored a couple weeks ago and just felt like looking through D2 and D3 schools to see what guys were tearing it up statistically and would have the measurables to play in the league. There were three guys, all DL, that really jumped out at me.

I have listed their names, height/weight, school, link to their bio, and stats.

Marc Schiechi/DL Colorado Mines 6'3 260
http://www.csmorediggers.com/sports/fball/2010-11/bios/Marc_Schiechl
2010: 61 tkl, 17 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 5 FF, 2 blocked kicks
2009: 13 TFL, 7 sacks *Conference Defensive Player of the Year*
2008: 69 tkl, 21 TFL, 13.5 sacks
2007: 2 starts, 47 tkl, 17 TFL, 13.5 sacks *Conference Defensive Player of the Year*
Total: 130 tkl, 69 TFL, 44.5 sacks, 5 FF, 2 blocked kicks

Derrin Nettles/DL Morehouse 6'4 305
http://www.morehouse.edu/athletics/football/roster.html
2010: 55 tkl, 24.5 TFL, 9 sacks, 12 hurries, 7 FF

Terry Griffin/DL Elizabeth City St - 6'3 340
http://www.ecsuvikings.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/griffin_terry00.html
2010: 48 tkl, 11 TFL, .5 sacks, 4 hurries, 2 blocked kicks
2009: 49 tkl, 11 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 4 hurries, 7 FF
2008: 38 tkl, 7.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks
Total: 135 tkl, 29.5 TFL, 12 sacks, 8 hurries, 7 FF, 2 blocked kicks

--------------

Griffin is very interesting since he has the look of a run clogger.

Schiechi is a tweener, but I think he has a better shot to play OLB than DE. There's a couple of highlight videos of him on Youtube if you want to check them out. Of course, they are just highlight videos so take it for what it's worth.

Nettles has a really interesting combo of size and pass rushing, based off of his numbers. Also forced 7 fumbles. Wow!

Just a couple of guys I'm keeping my eye on for when I do my seven round mock.

Devilsdancefloor
11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
1st round Mike Pouncey, C/G, Florida
Height: 6-5. Weight: 320.
this would be a sweet pick, but realistically we go with

Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 305.

2nd round Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, California
Height: 6-4. Weight: 290.

3rd round Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame
Height: 6-2. Weight: 307.

4th round Alex Wujciak, ILB, Maryland might be a little high for him BUT he is my sleeper pick right now he might be a 5th round steal ...)
Height: 6-3. Weight: 255.

But as always these will change about 1000 times before the draft

Godfather
11-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Josh Jasper, K, LSU. I love Suisham especially after this past weekend but we need a young kicker to be the long term answer.