PDA

View Full Version : Leafs at Penquins on Wednesday

Count Steeler
10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
The Toronto Maple Leafs pay a visit to the new arena in Pittsburgh. The Leafs are off to a good start, and the Pens have not won at home yet. Should be an interesting game.

I live close to Toronto and any success that the Leafs have is welcomed. We have not won Stanley since 1967 (I was 6 years old). The sentiment is that we are still 3-4 years away.

X-Terminator
10-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Don't remind me that the Pens haven't won at home yet. All it will do is make me mad.

Anyway, should be a good game. The Pens are the better team, but that doesn't mean a thing. The Leafs have played well in Pittsburgh the past couple of years, so it isn't going to be a cakewalk by any means.

Count Steeler
10-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Already 1-0 for the Leafs.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice... 4 min penalty... Let's go Pen's

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! Kunitz ties it up at 1! :bananadoggywow:

Count Steeler
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Not bad, one shot, one goal. Go Leafs Go.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Yahoooooooo... Your not at the game??

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
2 to 1 Pen's.... Yahooo

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Superstar scores to make it 2-1 Pens! :applaudit:

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Yahoooooooo... Your not at the game??

Nope. Not in our Plan.

Count Steeler
10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow. 3 shots, 2 goals. Maybe the Leafs won't win the cup this year:huh:

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow. 3 shots, 2 goals. Maybe the Leafs won't win the cup this year:huh:

Huh,,,,, 79 games to go for the Leafs... Come on now.. But "NO" to answer your thoughts .. lol

Count Steeler
10-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Sorry, you have to understand my cynicism. Leafs haven't won the Cup since '67, but they remain the most successful franchise in the NHL. The fans won't stop going to the games, no matter how bad they have been through the years. By winning the first 2 games this year, there has been renewed hope that this may be the year that they will win the Cup. Not just make the playoffs. We haven't made the playoffs for 4 years.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Sorry, you have to understand my cynicism. Leafs haven't won the Cup since '67, but they remain the most successful franchise in the NHL. The fans won't stop going to the games, no matter how bad they have been through the years. By winning the first 2 games this year, there has been renewed hope that this may be the year that they will win the Cup. Not just make the playoffs. We haven't made the playoffs for 4 years.

I understand.. I am a MLB Pirates diehard fan... lol

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Pens look good so far. 2-1.

Malkin is very active tonight.

Count Steeler
10-13-2010, 07:36 PM
I understand.. I am a MLB Pirates diehard fan... lol

I heard Kreskin on the Fan590 tonight. He is in Toronto for the next couple of nights. Apparently he offered to help the Pirates break their years of losing. What have the Pirates got to lose, they should take him up on that offer.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Dam power play... Ugh.. Tie now.. Geez another pp..

steeldevil
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Make that 3-2....

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow.. Our PP killing is nooooooooooooooo good..

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Uggggg .... come on guys.

HometownGal
BWA HA HA!!!!! Engellund just clocked Orr! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

BPS3akaWirels3
Holy Shit... Derek knock him out.. Wow Mama say knock you out..

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
If winning a fight doesn't work maybe Talbot would be willing to ............ never mind, save that for the playoffs.

steeldevil
10-13-2010, 07:51 PM
I dont know too much about hockey strategy, but 2 guys going with 1 guy and leaving another guy wide open = FAIL...

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 07:51 PM
WTF is the matter with Fleury? He's looked like shit since the season started. :noidea:

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 07:53 PM
When you let that many goals happen it's time to pull and replace for the rest of the game..

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 07:59 PM
WTF is the matter with Fleury? He's looked like shit since the season started. :noidea:

Yep he is not playing like the guy who helped us win a Cup. He used to follow up poor games with stellar ones. However, even last year down the stretch, he has been stringing poor games together. He needs to get right.

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Penalty shot.

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Geno getting a penalty shot here! :applaudit: LETS GO GENO!!! :pray:

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 08:04 PM
fingers crossed..

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 08:04 PM
DAMN!!!! Geno missed the net!!! :horror:

steeldevil
10-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Damn Malkin...

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Not really surprising.

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 08:07 PM
Lovejoy

HometownGal
10-13-2010, 08:07 PM
YESSSSS!!!! Lovejoy puts it in the net and the Pens are behind by 1! :bananadoggywow:

steeldevil
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
GOAL!!

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Like I always say.. We need to come into the 3rd and score within the first 5 mins..

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Crossing my fingers again and adding my toes... Come on guys..

oneforthetoe
10-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Not time to panic yet by any means, but the Pens need to step it up. In particular, Flower needs to play better and more consistent if we are going to be there in the end.

Friday we need to get right.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
It's the curse of the new arena... ugh..

X-Terminator
10-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Yep, looks like a repeat of last year. Can't win games at home.

Fleury didn't look great, but he didn't get any help either. The first goal was a deflection...the 2nd one, the defense can't let that pass come through the box...the 3rd one was on him as he was out of position...and the 4th one was the defense turning up the ice too soon, leaving a guy wide open in front of the net. What you saw tonight was life without Orpik, Michalek and Staal.

1-3. NEVER believed in a million years the Pens would be 1-3 at this point of the season, with all 3 losses at home. Disappointing to say the least. They need to get this ship going in the right direction and FAST, because they're starting to fall behind. The only highlight of the night was Engelland sending Orr to the hospital with a big right hand.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Yep, looks like a repeat of last year. Can't win games at home.

Fleury didn't look great, but he didn't get any help either. The first goal was a deflection...the 2nd one, the defense can't let that pass come through the box...the 3rd one was on him as he was out of position...and the 4th one was the defense turning up the ice too soon, leaving a guy wide open in front of the net. What you saw tonight was life without Orpik, Michalek and Staal.

1-3. NEVER believed in a million years the Pens would be 1-3 at this point of the season, with all 3 losses at home. Disappointing to say the least. They need to get this ship going in the right direction and FAST, because they're starting to fall behind. The only highlight of the night was Engelland sending Orr to the hospital with a big right hand.

Can't stop thinking about Johnson being the goalie on the only win away..

X-Terminator
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Can't stop thinking about Johnson being the goalie on the only win away..

That is interesting. Plus, from listening to Bylsma's press conference after the game, he put the blame directly on Fleury for not making big saves when they needed them. Can't argue with that. Flower HAS to play better, period.

Anyway, I sense this team is in big trouble. With so many key players out of the lineup, Fleury not being sharp and their inability to score goals, they may be in for an extended tailspin here.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-13-2010, 09:53 PM
That is interesting. Plus, from listening to Bylsma's press conference after the game, he put the blame directly on Fleury for not making big saves when they needed them. Can't argue with that. Flower HAS to play better, period.

Anyway, I sense this team is in big trouble. With so many key players out of the lineup, Fleury not being sharp and their inability to score goals, they may be in for an extended tailspin here.

Well you can count me in for the long road ahead then.. Let's go Pen's

A lot of crazy things happened last year... I'm up for the suprises...

zulater
10-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Fleury made 10 saves! Can't believe the team didn't do a better job of picking him up! :doh:

He better pick his game up soon.

steelpride12
10-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey guys sorry, me and my girl decided to go to our first games ever at the Consol Energy Arena, and first off WOW! This place is hockey heaven, it truly is a wonder to see and as a Pens fan almost makes you proud to call it our Pens new home! The lighting, the soundboards, the videos all amazing and trust me there is not a single bad seat in the house and no limited views. We sat in the nose bleeds section 232 Row M and you could see everything perfectly and for $50 a tickets not a pocket burner LOVED IT!

But for the game, ugh ugh ugh! Not all on Fluery, but still 4 goals on 10 shots is pretty disgusting! Im keeping high hopes that this is all due to injury I mean we have Staal, Mikalek, Asham, Orpik, and Comrie out tonight that is a lot of talent not there, but man the defense was horrid in the first period. Good to see the PP wasn't a total disaster, but still needs plenty of work. Hey 1-3 is bad, and 0-3 in the new house is kinda embarrassing, we can't be playing sub par hockey long or we will be playing catch up all season long!
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
10-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Hey guys sorry, me and my girl decided to go to our first games ever at the Consol Energy Arena, and first off WOW! This place is hockey heaven, it truly is a wonder to see and as a Pens fan almost makes you proud to call it our Pens new home! The lighting, the soundboards, the videos all amazing and trust me there is not a single bad seat in the house and no limited views. We sat in the nose bleeds section 232 Row M and you could see everything perfectly and for $50 a tickets not a pocket burner LOVED IT!

But for the game, ugh ugh ugh! Not all on Fluery, but still 4 goals on 10 shots is pretty disgusting! Im keeping high hopes that this is all due to injury I mean we have Staal, Mikalek, Asham, Orpik, and Comrie out tonight that is a lot of talent not there, but man the defense was horrid in the first period. Good to see the PP wasn't a total disaster, but still needs plenty of work. Hey 1-3 is bad, and 0-3 in the new house is kinda embarrassing, we can't be playing sub par hockey long or we will be playing catch up all season long!
GO PENS!

Glad you enjoyed the arena, steelpride! It's an awesome place. I spent a lot of the time on opening night just taking it all in, like I couldn't believe I was sitting in that beautiful new building. It really is hockey heaven. HTG and I won't be seeing it again until November 12, though. We have tickets to the games Friday and Monday, but we are selling them.

My prediction right now is that the Pens will still have 1 win by the end of next week. I just don't think they are going to turn things around until they start getting healthier. I'd feel better if Fleury were playing lights-out, but he's not, and the Pens are going to need him to play great every night if they're going to win.

HometownGal
10-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Well you can count me in for the long road ahead then.. Let's go Pen's

A lot of crazy things happened last year... I'm up for the suprises...

I'm in there with ya. Geez Louise - some of these people act like we're in the stretch of the season instead of the season's infancy. :doh: We're 1-3 with 78 games left to play and the gloom and doom is starting already. What do people expect with so many of our key guys out of the lineup? Hell - the Pens didn't play all that well at home last season and ended up making the playoffs. RELAX people - it's a long season and with all of the talent on this team, I am going to believe that at some point, they will turn it around.

I think it's pretty obvious why the PP hasn't looked very good. There are 55 reasons.

As for Fleury - I just can't figure out what his problem is and has been since the end of last season and into the playoffs. It's like he doesn't have that "fire" and intensity he used to have. :noidea:

SteelMember
10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
BWA HA HA!!!!! Engellund just clocked Orr! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

That was possibly the best "shot" of the night.

Fleury's playing like a faucet. Hot or cold... On or Off. However you want to say it.

He wasn't as bad as the other night, but I agree with Bylsma's assessment of making some more big saves to boost the team. Having said that, missing some key pieces on D last night was a no helper.

DAMN!!!! Geno missed the net!!! :horror:

I never understood why he was so bad in these situations. He has tremendous talent, but the deek isn't one of his better tools. There's a reason they don't have him in a more predominant role in the shootout lineup.

steelpride12
10-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Glad you enjoyed the arena, steelpride! It's an awesome place. I spent a lot of the time on opening night just taking it all in, like I couldn't believe I was sitting in that beautiful new building. It really is hockey heaven. HTG and I won't be seeing it again until November 12, though. We have tickets to the games Friday and Monday, but we are selling them.

My prediction right now is that the Pens will still have 1 win by the end of next week. I just don't think they are going to turn things around until they start getting healthier. I'd feel better if Fleury were playing lights-out, but he's not, and the Pens are going to need him to play great every night if they're going to win.
Talking about taking it all in, I walked around took over 150 pictures and just stared in AWE at how amazing this building is and all it has to feature, so much to do and interact, I love calling this the Pens new home and can't wait to make it to a game soon!

X-Terminator
10-14-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.upload3r.com/serve/131010/1287021135.gif

SteelMember
10-14-2010, 09:06 AM
That was AWESOME!

Too bad it stops before you see his knees buckle and then goes down.

steelpride12
10-14-2010, 09:52 AM
OH MAN THE CROWD WENT NUTS! Orr was giving it to him good early, but after that crunch and he went down it was all Engellend! Should have gave us the momentum being down only 1, but of course it only led to another Leafs goal!

Count Steeler
10-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, that was an impressive knock out. The Pens won the battle, but lost the game. Any chance they will be moving back to the Mellon?

HometownGal
10-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I told Eric last year at a game that I just loved Eng's toughness and grit and hoped he would make the team this year and he did! He's definitely a keeper. :thumbsup: I could watch him clock Orr a gazillion times and never tire of it! :applaudit:

HometownGal
10-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Here's a clip where Deryk cleaned Evander Kane's clock last season: :lol: :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ljX29XZsm0

BPS3akaWirels3
10-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that was an impressive knock out. The Pens won the battle, but lost the game. Any chance they will be moving back to the Mellon?

Mellon will mostly be a parking lot soon...

HometownGal
10-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Mellon will mostly be a parking lot soon...

One of the ideas that was floating around for a while was making Mellon into an indoor shopping mall but the kibosh was put on it by residents in the Hill District - people that never attended a damned event at the arena. Frosts my ass that they have a freakin' say in anything. :mad2: What sucks even more is that a lot of people who worked the concessions for many years at the Civil/Mellon Arena either outright lost or had to reapply for their jobs because part of the new arena deal was that Hill District residents had to be guaranteed a certain percentage of the jobs at Consol. I'm sick and damned tired of these curmudgeons dictating what the City can and can't do with its own property!!!

BPS3akaWirels3
10-14-2010, 07:17 PM
One of the ideas that was floating around for a while was making Mellon into an indoor shopping mall but the kibosh was put on it by residents in the Hill District - people that never attended a damned event at the arena. Frosts my ass that they have a freakin' say in anything. :mad2: What sucks even more is that a lot of people who worked the concessions for many years at the Civil/Mellon Arena either outright lost or had to reapply for their jobs because part of the new arena deal was that Hill District residents had to be guaranteed a certain percentage of the jobs at Consol. I'm sick and damned tired of these curmudgeons dictating what the City can and can't do with its own property!!!

We have got to do something better then make it a parking lot. Pittsburgh is a sports city and we can't tear something down that has so much history. But look at Forbes Field and Three River Stadium... I do like that they are building that AE Stage for concerts beside Heinz Field..

X-Terminator
10-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Yeah, many of the older residents up there want it torn down because it left a bitter taste in their mouths after part of the neighborhood was torn down to build it. And like you, I think it's ridiculous that the long-time arena employees had to re-apply for their jobs or were let go because the SEA and the Pens had to meet their quota. The Hill District residents wanted half the jobs, and ended up with about 35% of them, so they didn't get all of what they wanted. But still, it's bullshit that they even demanded it in the first place, considering that the arena is NOT in the Hill District, and other than the lady who has been a Pens' season ticket holder for almost 25 years, they don't support the team. They also get first dibs on any jobs from anything that they build on the Civic Arena site, which is equally bogus.

How's that new grocery store working out for them? Oh that's right - they haven't built one yet. Every major grocer has either backed out of the deal (Kuhn's, Aldi) or said outright they will not build there (Giant Eagle, Shop N Save). Now gee, why do you think that is? :scratchchin: So they will have to keep going to the South Side Giant Eagle to do their shopping. Sucks to be them.

We have got to do something better then make it a parking lot. Pittsburgh is a sports city and we can't tear something down that has so much history. But look at Forbes Field and Three River Stadium... I do like that they are building that AE Stage for concerts beside Heinz Field..

There is an effort by some city residents to save and reuse the arena, but I doubt they get any traction. The SEA, Penguins and many Hill District residents want it torn down and new retail/housing built on the site. I'd like for them to at least save part of the dome if they want to get rid of the rest of the building - the place is a historic landmark.

BPS3akaWirels3
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, many of the older residents up there want it torn down because it left a bitter taste in their mouths after part of the neighborhood was torn down to build it. And like you, I think it's ridiculous that the long-time arena employees had to re-apply for their jobs or were let go because the SEA and the Pens had to meet their quota. The Hill District residents wanted half the jobs, and ended up with about 35% of them, so they didn't get all of what they wanted. But still, it's bullshit that they even demanded it in the first place, considering that the arena is NOT in the Hill District, and other than the lady who has been a Pens' season ticket holder for almost 25 years, they don't support the team. They also get first dibs on any jobs from anything that they build on the Civic Arena site, which is equally bogus.

How's that new grocery store working out for them? Oh that's right - they haven't built one yet. Every major grocer has either backed out of the deal (Kuhn's, Aldi) or said outright they will not build there (Giant Eagle, Shop N Save). Now gee, why do you think that is? :scratchchin: So they will have to keep going to the South Side Giant Eagle to do their shopping. Sucks to be them.

There is an effort by some city residents to save and reuse the arena, but I doubt they get any traction. The SEA, Penguins and many Hill District residents want it torn down and new retail/housing built on the site. I'd like for them to at least save part of the dome if they want to get rid of the rest of the building - the place is a historic landmark.

I can see Martin's building a store there...

vader29
10-14-2010, 08:09 PM
The full knockdown:

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zv8k6e.gif