PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about Late game Offense.

Edman
10-11-2010, 04:20 PM
We know the story by now. The Steelers D has problems in the 4th quarter. Resulting in blowout wins turned close and close wins into close losses.

While this is true, I'm not denying it. But I feel none of this is helped by the fact that the Offense has failed to do much of anything on their own end. They moved the ball a lot last year, but their scoring was only 12th in the league. That means a lot of statlines of 250+ yards of offense but only leading by a touchdown in a 13-6 kind of game going into the fourth quarter. Grabbing Field Goals because they couldn't grab seven in red zone. Putting up that amount of yardage but being only held of FG's give opposing defenses confidence.

The Steelers O left a TON of points on the field last year. And would even go on spells when they would go cold completely.

Yes, the D has to be held accountable for blowing late leads, but the Offense has been no great stuff themselves.

SMR
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
To be honest, I don't want to deal with this right now. Ugh.

polamalubeast
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
The defense did not tunorvers .... this is one reason why the Steelers are finished only 12th in points scored.

The offense had 2 bad game last year .... against the Bengals in November and against the Browns in December.

polamalubeast
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM
After our bad game against the Browns, the Steelers had 3 excellent game was the offense in the last three games.

vasteeler
10-11-2010, 04:41 PM
We know the story by now. The Steelers D has problems in the 4th quarter. Resulting in blowout wins turned close and close wins into close losses.

While this is true, I'm not denying it. But I feel none of this is helped by the fact that the Offense has failed to do much of anything on their own end. They moved the ball a lot last year, but their scoring was only 12th in the league. That means a lot of statlines of 250+ yards of offense but only leading by a touchdown in a 13-6 kind of game going into the fourth quarter. Grabbing Field Goals because they couldn't grab seven in red zone. Putting up that amount of yardage but being only held of FG's give opposing defenses confidence.

The Steelers O left a TON of points on the field last year. And would even go on spells when they would go cold completely.

Yes, the D has to be held accountable for blowing late leads, but the Offense has been no great stuff themselves.

Great point. i think with our o-line playing better and our running game stronger we will be able to sustain drives while eating the clock and see more touchdowns to field goals......i hope

X-Terminator
10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Let's see what happens now that Ben is back behind center before we really make any judgments one way or the other. We knew the offense wouldn't be very good the first 4 games.

The Duke
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Let's see what happens now that Ben is back behind center before we really make any judgments one way or the other. We knew the offense wouldn't be very good the first 4 games.

Yep

Im not judging anything on this offense, except the oline, until AT LEAST the sixth game. They SHOULD have a good game against the browns D, so I'll be judging after they play the fins D

Count Steeler
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Why do we go into such a conservative offense in the 4th quarter if we have the lead? Keep doing what has been working for 3 quarters. If the opposing team doesn't throw in the towel, keep stepping on their throats.

No mercy on defense, no mercy on offense. Put the game away. Killer instinct. Kill or be killed.

st33lersguy
10-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Why do we go into such a conservative offense in the 4th quarter if we have the lead? Keep doing what has been working for 3 quarters. If the opposing team doesn't throw in the towel, keep stepping on their throats.

No mercy on defense, no mercy on offense. Put the game away. Killer instinct. Kill or be killed.

Plus you need a solid running game to run out the clock, throwing incompletions only saves time for the opponent

Craic
10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Plus you need a solid running game to run out the clock, throwing incompletions only saves time for the opponent

And 3 and outs against 9 men in the box only gives the ball back to the opponent to drive and score against a D that inexplicably turns from lights out to incompetent in the last 5 minutes of a game.

But hey, everyone wanted "Steelers football." So we got it again. :doh:

Steeldude
10-11-2010, 09:11 PM
IMO, lebeau plays a passive defense in the 2nd half

Galax Steeler
10-12-2010, 03:46 AM

Agreed I am holding judgment for now.

Dino 6 Rings
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
And 3 and outs against 9 men in the box only gives the ball back to the opponent to drive and score against a D that inexplicably turns from lights out to incompetent in the last 5 minutes of a game.

But hey, everyone wanted "Steelers football." So we got it again. :doh:

Laughing at you and your "Steelers football" mantra again :)

cold-hard-steel
10-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Well you would figure by the time you play your 5th game in a season you would be on the verge of getting all your ducks in a row.Ben should have a definate impact on the way the offense opens up,but i can't comment on the other part of that equation.Granted it is his first game back from his lay-off,so we don't know what to expect really. Then again, neither do the Browneyes.I have stated for a long,long time,that the play calling is so "you know what's coming".Just time to mix it up some,that's all. To show pass on first,and then run,would be a switch. To show run on 3rd,and pass would also be a switch.To show pass on first,and then passing,and showing run on 3rd,and then running is not gettin er done. Guess i did break into the other part of that equation.

Craic
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Laughing at you and your "Steelers football" mantra again :)

LOL... The funny thing is, I do love the "line it up and smack them in the mouth" kind of football. When it works, it is brutal to the other teams moral, and completely dominant. Remember the 1994 games against the Patriots* and Eagles in the middle of the season? Both teams were undefeated, Pats* having won 19 games in a row over going back to the 1993 season. We so destroyed both teams, that the TOP was something like 45 minutes to 15 minutes.

I just don't believe it is the elixir of football life that some seem to believe around here. I DO believe it is the basic building block to a very good offense, and team however.

I also get a kick on the re-write of Bettis' career, how he was never stopped for a loss, could carry 3, 4, 5 guys with him after they all hit him in the backfield, and how we ALWAYS moved the chains with him.

I should probably just end any of those posts with :sarcasm: After all, I did politic for that smiley for a year or two!! :chuckle: