PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hope to stick with run game

Galax Steeler
10-10-2010, 07:33 AM
PITTSBURGH - Rashard Mendenhall entered the weekend with 411 yards rushing, the second best total in the NFL.

Yet nobody on the Steelers' roster was happier to see quarterback Ben Roethlisberger back in the locker room than Mendenhall.

With the return of Roethlisberger from a four-game suspension for violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy, Mendenhall is less likely to see many of the eight and nine-man fronts he's faced in the first four weeks.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/10-10-2010-Steelers-offense-moving-on

MULLDOG24
10-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm glad to see Ben back but at the same time I hope we go with a more balanced attack even with Ben in there. I think that it will only help the offense if they do.

Texasteel
10-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Strictly mercenary, Ben gets the defense to back off the line of scrimmage, Mendy will have a lot more room to work in.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Better hope that they get Redman or Moore some carries. Otherwise leaning too much on Mendenhall is gonna eventually get him on the injured list for a game or more.

While I like to see the continued committment to running the ball, I can guarantee that Heath Miller, Hines and ARE will see more receptions than they did without Ben in there. And that is a good thing.

SMR
10-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Better hope that they get Redman or Moore some carries. Otherwise leaning too much on Mendenhall is gonna eventually get him on the injured list for a game or more.

While I like to see the continued committment to running the ball, I can guarantee that Heath Miller, Hines and ARE will see more receptions than they did without Ben in there. And that is a good thing.

Yer right about increasing the risk of injury to Mendenhall. I do recall a guy named Willie Parker....

The Duke
10-10-2010, 01:11 PM

yep

I''m getting worried about another being "ran until the wheels come off"

We have capable backs, of relieving mendenhall that is. Give them the ball more every once in a while. If I remember correctly redman didn't even have a carry against baltimore

tube517
10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Agree 110%. I've been saying all along that they need to give more carries to Redman. In this day and age, 1 RB can't carry a team for too long without help. Otherwise, once they reach 350+ carries, it's not good.

BigNastyDefense
10-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Ben coming back is going to help the run game. I see this offense really taking off with Big Ben back at QB.

With Ben back, crowding the LOS and putting 8-9 men in the box isn't going to work, so that's less guys Mendy has to deal with.

On the other hand, with Mendy going well, the safeties will bite on the play-action and leave guys open for the deep ball, especially Mike Wallace with all that speed.

HometownGal
10-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm ecstatic knowing Ben will be back under center next week! :applaudit: I am a huge fan of the balanced attack but I would like to see Ben throwing 60% of the time - the Steelers didn't give him that mega moola to have him hand off the ball more than he passes and playmakes. Hell - they could have signed Bubbles the Chimp to do that. :heh:

We have Redman and MeMo behind Mendy and I'd love to see all 3 of them utilized to their strengths.

Galax Steeler
10-11-2010, 03:28 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone else on here we need to feed the ball to Redman and Moore to give Mendenhall a rest.