PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth drafting a Kicker?

Lambert_Loonie
10-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Hypothetically speaking, lets say Jeff Reed isn't able to hold it together for the duration of the season. In the 2011 draft, is it worth looking any kickers over? I bet a lot of Steeler fans shrugged and shook their heads when Pittsburgh traded up to draft Dan Sepulveda, but he's done a great job since he's arrived. Could it work for a new kicker too? Does anybody know of any lights-out kickers in the College Football realm?

stillers4me
10-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I can see it happening. Heinz Field is a really tough place to kick and we are going to need a top notch guy to replace Reed when the time comes. Thinking about repeatedly losing home games with a rookie kicker gives me the heebie jeebies.

Galax Steeler
10-10-2010, 08:03 AM
I can see it happening. Heinz Field is a really tough place to kick and we are going to need a top notch guy to replace Reed when the time comes. Thinking about repeatedly losing home games with a rookie kicker gives me the heebie jeebies.

Agree Reed will not be around forever and we need to get someone to fill his job when he leaves the Steelers.

steelersfanman92
10-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I think it would be worth it, especially if it was Kai Forbath from UCLA he hit 28-of-31 field goals in 2009, with his only misses coming from 50-plus, where he was 3-of-6. The other kicker I would look at is Matt Bosher who was 14-of-16 in 2009, including 4-of-4 from 40-plus. He hit his only 50-plus try (51).

LLT
10-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Hypothetically speaking, lets say Jeff Reed isn't able to hold it together for the duration of the season. In the 2011 draft, is it worth looking any kickers over? I bet a lot of Steeler fans shrugged and shook their heads when Pittsburgh traded up to draft Dan Sepulveda, but he's done a great job since he's arrived. Could it work for a new kicker too? Does anybody know of any lights-out kickers in the College Football realm?

Soon....Steelers Universe will have a draft page that be accessible to all members. It will have the top 10 at each position with a brief bio on each player.

Here is my take on the top three kickers.

1) Kai Forbath of UCLA 5'11 195 lbs
Kai Forbath was the 2009 winner of the Lou Groza Award ... and was a Consensus All-America...He is money inside the 50..having made 40 consecutive field goals from inside 50 yards...and has the leg strength for 50+ yard FG's. He started the season with a groin injury so some sites may have an asterick beside his name. Dont be fooled... he is a man among boys in this years draft pool of kickers.

2) Alex Henery of Nebraska 6'2 175 lbs
Henery has made 42 for 49 field goals over the last two years. His value is elevated by the fact that he is a VERY good punter also...averaging 41.4 yards per attempt and leading the league in punts downed inside the 20.

3) Josh Jasper of LSU 5'10 170 lbs
A lot of sites will have Matt Bosher of Miami here....but I like LSU's Jasper a little better. He has shown the leg strength to kick 50+ yard field goals and is 31 for 36 in his college career.

A sleeper for you is Thomas Weber of Arizona State....He won the Lou Groza Award as the nation's best kicker as a freshman but is coming off a groin injury and is actually much better than his numbers showed in 2009. If he is healthy...look for him to have a big year.

Texasteel
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM
3) Josh Jasper of LSU 5'10 170 lbs
A lot of sites will have Matt Bosher of Miami here....but I like LSU's Jasper a little better. He has shown the leg strength to kick 50+ yard field goals and is 31 for 36 in his college career

Last year Jasper was 16 for 19, 6 FGs were over 40 yard, 4 of them over 50 yards. I don't think he is far behind #1 and #2

LLT
10-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Last year Jasper was 16 for 19, 6 FGs were over 40 yard, 4 of them over 50 yards. I don't think he is far behind #1 and #2

...and he is an athlete. Did you see his run against Florida?

Texasteel
10-10-2010, 10:21 AM
...and he is an athlete. Did you see his run against Florida?

I watched that game. He also handles the short punts. and out of 12 kicks last year put 8 of them inside the 20

MULLDOG24
10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I think that it would be very worthwhile to draft a kicker cause I don't think Reed will be around too much longer and we will need someone reliable. Hopefully he can handle the conditions at Heinz field. Nice research LLT I can always count on you and Texasteel for the good "DIRT" on draft prospects!

LLT
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I watched that game. He also handles the short punts. and out of 12 kicks last year put 8 of them inside the 20

A person could make a great arguement that he is the #2 Kicker in the nation...but I still think Forbath is solid at #1.

LLT
10-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I think that it would be very worthwhile to draft a kicker cause I don't think Reed will be around too much longer and we will need someone reliable. Hopefully he can handle the conditions at Heinz field. Nice research LLT I can always count on you and Texasteel for the good "DIRT" on draft prospects!

I have very little "tolerance" for off the field nonsense...and I was about ready to give Reed his walking papers after LAST season....Skippy has been solid for us, but he is replaceable.

cold-hard-steel
10-10-2010, 11:10 AM
It's gonna happen sooner or later where we need to find a kicker.I guess if we come acrossed one we like in the draft,i would go for it. Gotta have a kicker anyway. I would like one that could also reach the endzone on kick-offs. Although i must add that Reeds kickoffs does seem to have improved somewhat. Now if he could tackle.........Had to say it.

Lambert_Loonie
10-11-2010, 06:47 AM
It's gonna happen sooner or later where we need to find a kicker.I guess if we come acrossed one we like in the draft,i would go for it. Gotta have a kicker anyway. I would like one that could also reach the endzone on kick-offs. Although i must add that Reeds kickoffs does seem to have improved somewhat. Now if he could tackle.........Had to say it.

Frankly, if you have to rely on your kicker to make a tackle when nobody else on special teams can, I think that just goes to show how much trouble your special teams are in.

A lot of good answers, I appreciate it. With the rich defensive & hard-nosed offensive history that the Steelers have had, I would've guessed asking about a kicker would've gotten me laughed out off the board :P Reed's in the last year of his deal I think, plus he's struggled early on, so I thought it was something to think about.

SteelerSal
10-11-2010, 06:54 AM
I would not waste any pick less than a 6th rounder on a kicker and thats only if it is one of the top 2 kickers that is taken, otherwise I am happy with bringing in unemployed kickers for tryouts.

Anyways, Reed aint going anywhere...he will get it together so we don't have to worry about it. IMO

LLT
10-11-2010, 01:40 PM
I would not waste any pick less than a 6th rounder on a kicker and thats only if it is one of the top 2 kickers that is taken, otherwise I am happy with bringing in unemployed kickers for tryouts.

Anyways, Reed aint going anywhere...he will get it together so we don't have to worry about it. IMO

I agree that we won't be looking at a kicker for a couple of years....but if skippy decides to go into karate kid mode against the local po-po again...then the next thing that needs to be kicked is his ass right out the door.

cold-hard-steel
10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Kickers are not a dime a dozen as some may think. If we could find a " La Machine" as Chuck called him,then i say take him then and there.No if's,ands,or buts.Some know who i am talking about.Reed is fading away in front of our eyes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Yeah, we could have had Brett Swenson or Leigh Tiffin last year in the draft with a 7th rounder.

Maybe Tiffin is around next year looking to catch on with somebody too. Jeff Reed was undrafted and the 2 top prospects last year went undrafted. I dont think its that hard to replace PK 's that want to be overpaid.

JayC
11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
YES YES YES it's worth it

steelerdude15
11-16-2010, 12:14 AM
I would say it is time, even if Jeff had been playing well, I say it would still be time.

steelreserve
11-16-2010, 12:48 AM
It's definitely worth it, since you can get a near-lock kicker with somewhere between a 4th and a 7th round pick. We don't even have room for all our draft picks these days, so we might as well make one of the lower ones count.